double chocolate cherry ice cream

in cherry season, dachshund, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, summertime, Vegan

♪ ♫ “Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I’m not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don’t get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school…”  ♪ ♫

Please tell me you know what that is from? and then please accept my apology for the fact that it may be in your head for a bit.

Longtime readers know of my near obsession with pens and paper. Journals, writing pads, pens ranging from bold ballpoints to collectible fountains. When Jason and I met, one of the strange coincidences was that we both love pens. and paper. and pens.

So it is only natural that when we are in most any store, if there is a stationery or office supply section we will find it (if we lose each other while shopping, I either call him or find the pen aisle).

This time of year especially, we are interested in what might be new and interesting? The other day, on a random and fun Target visit, we saw Back to School signs, leading us to pens and papers.

Without a need or a plan for it, I came home with this:

Just so cute, right?

A dachshund. Doing yoga.

It is the (second) cutest thing I have ever seen, and it makes me smile each time I see it.

Even though my cherry supply is dwindling fast, this ice cream also makes me smile.

The fact that I found gluten free cake cones? Bigger smile.

I used a fun ingredient in this recipe – making an incredibly creamy ice cream. This one is a keeper – sweet chocolate and tart cherries are a good combination.

double chocolate cherry ice cream

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
1 can coconut milk (canned)
1/2 cup whipped cream (Soyatoo rice whip)
1/3 cup agave (or sugar of choice)

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chunks (chips)

In high powered blender, combine cherries and coconut milk until smooth. Continue to blend and add whipped cream, agave, and cocoa powder. Transfer to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer directions (this recipe took me 20 minutes). Remove bowl from ice cream machine, fold in chocolate chunks. Transfer to a freezer safe container, cover and store in freezer.

♪ ♫ “Back to school. Back to school…”  ♪ ♫ ♪

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) August 7, 2012 at 5:38 am

I thought that with cherries and chocolate, this was an amazing ice cream recipe. And then I read that you used coconut milk, which is amazing, and I swooned.

2 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

coconut milk is one of my favorites for ice cream. Mmm.

3 Laurel August 7, 2012 at 5:41 am

Secret Ingredient? The only secret ingredient I see is the extra whammy of having your own fresh cherries. Why don’t they grow in Texas anyway? Why don’t berries grow in Texas. Why is Texas not the Pacific Northwest? Will that ice cream melt if you send it to me? I can’t answer any of those questions but I can answer yours. Billy Madison. There’s only one person in the world who plays dumb like that. Do you suppose he’s like the modern day Jerry Lewis?

4 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

cherries won’t grow in Texas? we could add Texas to the side of the Pac NW – but there would have to be a gap so we could still have our ocean. Would Texas mind being an island? The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now estimated to be twice the size of Texas, so Texas would have to settle for smaller island status, but I could get you your ice cream easier this way. There is always dry ice, but the last time I had that I put it all into our pool then took crazy photos of all the fun bubbles and steam. I cannot be trusted with dry ice, a pool and a camera. I really like Adam Sandler and think he is mighty talented, and Billy Madison IS indeed funny, but that dumb act is annoying and I’m happy he drops it early on. :D

5 Laurel August 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thanks for making me laugh hysterically. I think we should move Texas, then it would all be like Galveston. Cool.

6 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

yay I made you laugh. :D and it would not only be cooler, it would be COOLER, right? are you guys still sizzling over 100 these days?

7 Laurel August 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Only 109 today but hey, no worries, it cools off in time for Halloween. Usually.

8 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 7, 2012 at 6:36 am

cherries, coconut milk, chocolate, cocoa powder – oh there is absolutely everything RIGHT with this recipe!

9 Caitlin August 7, 2012 at 6:54 am

this looks DEEEEEEE-LICIOUS. the only thing better than chocolate is more chocolate. isn’t that the saying. and chocolate covered cherries? i’m pretty sure that’s heaven.

10 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

I do believe it is a saying! ;) well, it’s truth, anyway.

11 jobo August 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

Billy Madison, right??? I hope I am right or I am just thinking of the lyric I THINK of with ‘back to school….”. And holy crap that looks effing amazing.

12 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

that is correct!” < -- another line from Billy Madison! ;)

13 jobo August 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

YES!! I LOVE that line too! Best movie EVER. Do I win something for guessing right?? ;)

14 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

well, absolutely. um… hmm… this ice cream won’t travel well…

15 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Too funny about the pens. Clearly you were meant to be! And that ice cream? I could definitely handle some after dinner thank you.

16 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

we have so many fun similarities, we just were meant to be :) we were even in the same movie theater before we met (it was for a one time showing of a Sing Along Purple Rain movie), and a couple of concerts too…

why can’t we all be neighbors?? I would totally bring you some ice cream!

17 Jess August 7, 2012 at 8:43 am

Holy yum!! I would DEVOUR that right now!! PS Billy Madison!! PPS now that song is stuck in my head thank you, dear ;-)

18 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

haa, sorry about that. it was bound to happen. ;) wish I could get some of this ice cream to you to make up for it…

19 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

I LOVE billy madision! oh my gosh i think i’m going to have to watch that movie tonight! while eating a bowl of this incredible ice cream:)

20 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

it’s a fun movie, right? :) and everything is good with ice cream.

21 purelylori August 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

I want that now!!!! yay for gluten free cones :)
Michelle found some the other day, I have yet to experiment with them.

22 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

gluten free cones – I was so happy.

23 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I have been craving ice cream for days and now that I have what it takes to make it, the sun is not here and Tony has the house freezing! This does look perfect for my ice cream cravings though. Hopefully the sun will come out this weekend and I can churn some!

24 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

this one is one of my favorites… I hope the sun is out for you soon, although I’d make ice cream in a snow storm;)

25 Roz@weightignfor50 August 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Amazing looking ice cream. And LOVE LOVE yoga dogs!!!! Basil? Get practicing! have a great day Kris!

26 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:03 pm

thank you Roz! and right?? Basil totally needs to work on his yoga poses…

27 Carbzilla August 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

This looks amazing! Where did you find gluten-free ice cream cones?

(I was so obsessed with paper and stationery that I actually worked in a fancy stationery store. I was in Heaven, and I worked my discount to no end!)

28 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I found them at New Seasons!! the brand is Edward and Sons, and they have both the “cake” style (flat bottom) and the sugar cones (pointy) in gluten free!! :D

…I would be dangerous working at a stationery store… I’d never have a paycheck.

29 Shirley @ gfe August 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Like I’ve said before, chocolate and cherries are meant to go together. :-) This ice cream looks fantastic, Kristina. We’re all going to be so sad when your cherries are gone!

I hope *someone* we know doesn’t get any ideas from that yoga dachsund. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

30 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

they really are meant for each other, that delicious chocolate and cherry duo. I know, I am very sad that my supply is dwindling… I’m grasping the last few, really. (I dehydrated a lot, so not really…) ;)

the only yoga Mister Basil does is what I call his “downward dog” – his stretch after a nap or in the morning… or really anytime. he stretches a lot. I try to get photos, but he’s quick! ;)

XXO! … and THANK YOU as always for sharing!

31 Lora @cakeduchess August 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’ve been wanting a scoop of this since the minute I saw the photo the other day. Looks FANTASTIC! I adore cherry ice-cream and even better with chocolate:)xx

32 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

this is one of our favorites of the summer :)

33 Maria August 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Everything about this is perfect!! You had me at Double Chocolate Cherry :) i took a quick peek at a few of your other icecream recipes…i think you should totally enter this contest : http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2012/07/summer-dessert-challenge.html

34 Mom Foodie August 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I so need to drag out my ice cream maker.

35 spabettie August 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm

:) it’s that time of year!

36 Lauren K August 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

this sounds awesome! I love chocolate ice cream, and anything chocolate cherry? yes please LOL

37 Suzanne August 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Oh what a great ice cream, I love that it is made with coconut milk. Looks so delicious :P

38 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

thank you, Suzanne! coconut milk is one of my favorite ice cream bases – very creamy.

39 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm

109?

OOF.

I would be Big Time Pee Oed if HEAT messed with my Halloween!