perfect cherry pancakes

perfect cherry pancakes

I want the Olympics to be year round.

Not very viable, right? I wish they lasted longer, anyway.

I have been glued to the television. Tennis has me on the edge of my seat and makes me want to play again. Beach volleyball, same. Swimming is exciting and I wish I knew how (yeah, really. Long story). Archery reminds me of 7th grade PE class (I was good!). Fencing is just awesome. Awesome.

vegan cherry pancakes

All of it has been motivating for me – energizing my workouts and my whole day. I miss the camaraderie of being involved in team sports, it has been years and years. I am inspired by the passion and the drive, and I have been moved to tears (not just from the medal ceremonies and the “mom commercials”).

I celebrate every athlete, from every country. I want to make them pancakes.

Perfect fluffy pancakes with cherries from my tree. These could get a medal.

gluten free pancakes

cherry pancakes

adapted from spinach pancakes

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 8 medium pancakes

1 cup fresh cherries, pitted*
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup agave (or sweetener of choice)

*cherries will be less than 1 cup when purΓ©ed.

In blender, purΓ©eΒ cherries until smooth. In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan gum, stirring out clumps. Whisk in the cherry puree, water and agave, combine completely. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter onto an oiled skillet over medium low heat. Pancakes will not bubble, flip after a minute or so and cook other side (less than another minute).

perfect cherry pancakes

Have you been watching the Olympics? What is your favorite event?

Comments

Every time I come to visit you have something cherry. I like it! I’ve been putting cherries on everything lately. Just made cherry muffins yesterday… also obsessed with muffins right now, do idea why. Gluten-free, vegan, muffins. I have over 2 dozen sitting in my freezer, ah!

I’m with you on the Olympics. I just sit in front of the TV and marvel at the gloriousness. You’re right, they should be longer!

did you see my cherry muffins? I am totally flipping out over them. πŸ˜‰ (which will probably lead to a similar muffin obsession!). Olympics! even before I start my juice each morning, the television comes on and I’m flipping through all the games channels, looking for the best thing to start with! πŸ˜€

Holy yum! I bet the Olympic athletes would seriously kiss you if you made them a batch of these bad boys! They look incredible, love the pretty pink color! :)

PS I love the Olympics too, could totally watch them year round!!

yes, finally got the pink! those cookies were a bust. I ate the chips out of them and completely redid the recipe. πŸ˜‰

I am so glad I have typically just finished breakfast when I read your posts or I might just lick the screen. Seriously need to post some flops LOL. Those sound fantastic and super easy. I have all ingredients minus cherries….I’ve been watching the olympics here and there – gymnastics (women’s) is kind of the only one I’ve ever cared about before. But this year, I think the running will be more intriguing to me.

okay, okay… I DO have a flop. perhaps I’ll share πŸ˜‰ I love all the sports, even if I cannot do them!

Haha, I was already thinking of making some beet pancakes to accompany my green pancakes (yup, I posted–sort of–about pancakes today, too) so I could have Christmassy pancakes in August–but cherry sounds like a way tastier way to get color than beets πŸ˜€

tastier, yes, but beets give a fantastic pink color! I have made beautiful fuchsia frosting with beets πŸ˜€

5. Robin says

Yum! I made your spinach pancakes last night, by the way. Very good!

The Olympics are so fun to watch. I love it all.

Another recipe I want to make!! I just wish I had an endless supply of cherries because the thought of using them and baking with them means I’d have to give some up! LOL! But I want to try these! and I love the olympics! so motivating!

I know, we had so many cherries but still lost a lot because we couldn’t reach them!! next year I will need to plan better, and rent one of those big CHERRY PICKER machines if I have to! πŸ˜‰

These look so good!! I am really picky about cherry foods, but this one sounds like my cup of tea.

And it’s wierd, but I really haven’t watched nearly as much olympics as I expected. It seems like I never have time to sit down and watch TV recently, maybe this weekend I can get back into it. :)

Ahhh… they’re almost too pretty to eat!! But sound amazing! I will have to go BUY some cherries (since I can’t just go PICK them!). I’d love to try this with a bunch of other fruits- namely peaches and pineapples!
    I love watching many events on the Olympics- like the same ones that most people do: gymnastics, swimming, running, etc. What I don’t like? Tennis. And I know that’s an unpopular thing to say.
    What I REALLY love to watch is power-lifting, but I can never seem to find it on until it’s almost over!

that’s okay, I’m watching enough tennis for the both of us πŸ˜‰ and peaches work with this recipe, I have done it πŸ˜€

9. Michelle says

Wow! My daughter asked for cherry pancakes for Christmas breakfast (we live in Australia so cherries are in season) so I googled & came across your recipe. I was going to alter the recipe & sub what I needed to since we are dairy, egg & gluten-free but I almost fell off my chair when I realised that your recipe is all of these things already!! Thank you!! Will definitely be making my little girls pink pancakes for Christmas morning :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I am so happy you found me! these pancakes are one of my favorites, and I cannot wait for more fresh cherries next summer! I love the bright red color as well – happy holidays to you all – enjoy!

Trackbacks