rest in peace, sweet Missy cat

my dad’s beloved cat Missy passed last night.

recently, she was just as much (if not more) my brother’s cat.

we have all loved Missy for many many years – she lived a long happy life, a well loved life.

my brother moved in with my dad several months ago (such a tremendous help and feeling of peace that has been!), and immediately bonded with Missy, one of three cats at my dad’s place. he took her to be groomed – a much needed and way overdue event – and since then Missy had been more lively and simply adored him. I was watching a different person when I would see him with her <3

sincerely heart-wrenching news, Missy had a very large cancerous abdominal tumor.

I could not make this decision alone, could barely formulate the text to dad (still has a trach, cannot talk).

via text, the three of us agreed on what was best for sweet Missy cat.

she was brought in to us – we held her, talked to her, said our goodbyes.

heart. wrenching.

and then we just held her…

sweet sweet Missy cat. you will be greatly missed. you are so so very loved.

rest in peace, beautiful kitty. sweet beautiful girl.

Comments

Oh girl I am so sorry. This just breaks my heart and reminds me of the first time I had to make that decision. You’re just never prepared. My first Cocker Spaniel got suddenly sick and she had a large tumor on her liver. They didn’t know if she would even survive surgery. Hardest day ever so I feel your pain and am so sorry for you and your family’s loss.

thank you Heather. that is what they said about Missy – she was very frail and most likely would not survive the surgery even if it was an option. She lived a good long life, but wow, she will be greatly missed. sweetest cat.

thank you, Laura. I imagine this is something that you do not forget. We have the good memories though, right? Hugs back.

I’m so sorry, my friend. I’ve been there and done that and it’s simply heart-wrenching for everyone involved. But you also have the sense of peace that she’s no longer in pain, that she went quietly surrounded by the people she loved that loved her so much. It’s sad, but it’s also a blessing. You were lucky to have her furry little soul in your life 😉

thank you, Abby, I really appreciate that. we were all very lucky – she was such a gentle sweetie. and I know it is for the best, and she is no longer suffering, but wow it is so hard.

I am so sorry for your loss. It’s such an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I think your family did the right thing in that Missy didn’t suffer unnecessarily. One of my cats from childhood (Maggie) passed away this past year due to intestinal cancer, so I feel your pain. It’s like losing a family member. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way…

I’m so sorry to hear about your Maggie – it is absolutely like losing a family member – they are so important to us, and when they are gone the loss is huge. thank you for your kind words, Amanda – your positive thoughts are appreciated.

oh my goodness, I just about lost it reading this. I had a bad feeling this was the case after your last note on Facebook last night. so very sad, I LOVE my cats as if they are my children (let’s face it, our pets ARE our children!) and having to make that decision has to be one of the hardest. I thought I would be faced with it a year or so ago when one of mine fell mysteriously ill and just THINKING about making that decision and thankfully, she pulled out of it, was so very very hard. I too remember my old cat, childhood cat, and my mom having to make that decision so we would not have to. You did a very good thing for your dad, and Missy, in bringing her back to happiness. XOXOXO.

thank you, friend… I keep losing it, randomly all day. I cannot imagine having to face a decision like that with Basil, no way. I know this was the best thing for her, and she is no longer in pain. :(

Oh friend, I am so so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to a very loved little kitty. I am so sad for you and your family :( xoxoxo

thank you, friend. she was such a little sweetie. my brother is devastated, and that makes me just as sad.

I am so sorry!! I cannot imagine the hard decision you had to make and how sad your family feels. My kitties are my babies. And several friends recently had to put their beloved dogs down. It’s so heart breaking. :(

thanks, Lisa – I know you love your kitties. I cannot even imagine having to go through this with Basil.

Thank you, Karen. I know it was the right thing for her, and we knew it was inevitably close. So incredibly difficult though.

7. Kathy Patalsky says

so sorry about Missy. I’m glad she lived a long happy life with a loving family. I guess that is all any of us (furry or not) can ask for. xoxo

thank you, Kathy, I appreciate that. yes, I believe she had a long and happy life. she so loved my brother, and he took such great care of her!

8. Carbzilla says

I’m so sorry for the loss of Missy. This is exactly what happened to our cat Mia. She’d been sleeping a lot but we thought nothing of it. She hated to be held so we never did it. We took her to emergency care one night, and they found the tumor immediately. It was so shocking and sad. My husband went into full denial and thought we could just take her home. I gave them extra time to say goodbye.

Big hugs to you and your family.

I know… my brother and I had a feeling something was up, but neither one of us could voice it. my sweet brother had been carrying her to her water dish, food dish, and while she was still drinking, when she stopped eating we took her in. the cancer was big. :( we sat with her for a long time before – it was good. so very very hard, such a sad night.

thank you SO MUCH, T. I appreciate it, and big hugs back to you!

9. Carol says

sorry, Kristina. you really have had a rough year, I know, and this is never easy. I pray for a break for your dad and you.

I’m so sorry to hear this! Losing a pet is never easy, they really are family! At least you know you and your family gave her an amazing cat-life, I bet she enjoyed every minute of it.