cherry vanilla ice cream

Are you tired of the Summer of Cherries yet?

I hope not, because I’m just getting warmed up. (A favorite Al Pacino line… extra points if you know it.)

I am really digging the cherry tree in our yard. Even standing at the counter pitting each and every one, that has become sort of relaxing. I have cherries in my freezer, in my dehydrator, in all kinds of recipes lately.

This one is simple, sweet and satisfying on a hot day.

Hoo Haah.

cherry vanilla ice cream

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
1/4 cup almond milk (vanilla)

1 cup coconut milk (canned)
1/4 cup agave
2 tablespoons cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 tablespoon vanilla paste

In high powered blender, combine cherries and almond milk until smooth. Continue to blend and add coconut milk, agave, cream cheese and vanilla. Transfer to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer directions.

I’m just getting warmed up.

Comments

I know!! we were totally surprised when the tree in our front yard started producing fruit – when we bought the house this spring we had no idea!

ding ding ding, you got it! I love that movie too, never gets old. cherries never get old – you should see how many I eat as I am pitting them… 😉

wow- i’m super jealous that you have a cherry tree!! i haven’t had cherries in ages because they are just too darn expensive to buy.

this ice cream reminds me of cherry water ice that i used to get at rita’s. it was always my favorite as a child 😉

the cherry expense – exactly why I feel so lucky to have a tree, this thing is GOLD! :) we have really been enjoying the tree…

I swear, every cherry recipe you post looks better than the last (and you started with some pretty high standards!). So yeah, if you’re just getting warmed up, I can’t wait to see what else is coming! Especially if I can read about it while enjoying some cherry ice cream…

I know, I will get a random idea out of nowhere, something else to make with cherries. I have not tired of them yet! :)

I miss our cherry tree back in Germany. It produced the most delicious cherries. I absolutely love this recipe. So creative with the ingredients.

I was so happy to realize it was a fruit tree, when we bought the house this spring they didn’t tell us! :)

We had a cherry tree in the back yard of our first house…but those were the days before I had an ice cream maker! I remember making a pie, but would have loved this ice cream. Time to put cherries on the shopping list :)

so, did you have an issue with the tree being very tall, not being able to reach the top cherries? ours is tall, and we are actually thinking about renting … a cherry picker! 😉 ha!

OOOH….this looks sooo good Kris. We had something VERY similar to this at a Whole Foods supper club we went to a couple of months ago. I still think about it… Hope your Tuesday is going well.

thanks Roz! I want to make more before the cherries are gone – the flavor is so good! Whole Foods supper club sounds fun! :)

6. Hannah-lyz says

Am I the only one to now have David Bowies’ “Suffragette City” in my head after reading your “hoo haah” ..?

Just me? Well ok then..

This looks simply fabulous.. I’ve just popped a cherry pit in a pot.. grow you little beauty… Grow!!!

thank you Michelle! I love these too, fun little bowls. not sure where they came from – they were Jason’s before I met him! :)

7. bitt says

Pretty sure tofutti is soy based, hence the tofu in title, but I think there might be another soy free nondairy cream cheese on the market. Haven’t tried it yet.

thanks, bitt. I made this twice, and the original didn’t have the cream cheese – forgot to take that out. edited.

I need to learn how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. Also, could I sub just plain ol’ boring vanilla extract for the paste? I’m never sure.

Trackbacks