cherry ginger coconut quinoa

I know this sounds totally guuh (because it is), but I cannot stand our dishwasher.

The actual washer itself is just fine, it’s the baskets inside, both the upper and lower. I think they were designed by someone whose entire dish collection is shot glasses and teacup saucers. Our normal sized (not gargantuan) dinner plates do not fit. Weird.

Also, the design is frustrating – I am one who likes to be efficient when it comes to dishwasher loading (read: cram as much in there as possible), and these baskets are anything but efficient. They have weird shapes and barriers and movable walls.

Jason recently said a new dishwasher is “obviously at the top of our list” of renovation projects… but the fact that we just bought a house has made me a (heat) miser*, because I tell him no, I will just see if I can find new baskets for it. It works perfectly fine, and I actually really like the options it has and how quiet it is.

Besides, the top of my list is expanding the kitchen island.

*There is a heat miser setting on my dish washer – that is a positive.

My new favorite quinoa? Served on salad sized plates. Totally works here.

cherry ginger coconut quinoa

dairy and gluten free, vegan

serves two

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 inch ginger, peeled and minced fine
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
pinch salt
1 cup fresh cherries, halved
(handful) raw cashews, choppedΒ

In saucepan, combine quinoa, coconut milk, ginger, rice vinegar and salt, bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, just until liquid is absorbed. Fold in cherries, serve and garnish with cashews. Enjoy warm or cold.

…and because I can never leave well enough alone – if the cherries aren’t sweet enough:

make gif

The spicy ginger and the fragrant rice vinegar bring a savory flavor to a creamy coconut comfort, and the bites of sweet are likeΒ a cherry on top. TheΒ cashew was a last minute addition for crunch, and it totally works here.

Melted dark chocolate was a perfect afternoon snack topper. Totally works here.

Comments

I think that makes you lucky, right? to have a dishwasher in your NYC apartment is kinda rare, yes? the first (tiny!) apartment Jason and I shared did not have one… so I DO appreciate any dishwasher, actually. πŸ˜‰

Whoa—looks awesome!
    I hear you on the dishwasher frustration. It’s the little details that you don’t think about—I mean, don’t we all just assume a dishwasher in today’s world would be the most efficient thing ever and work with all dishes?!

thanks Lisa B! πŸ˜€ yes, you would expect that… I really cannot figure out what they were going for in this case! :)

2. Jobo says

I am the same way with my dishwasher!! So funny. And wow, this looks fabulous but sadly I cannot make it for M (just me!$ as he claims quinoa hurts his stomach. Weird??

3. Lora @cakeduchess says

I want this for dessert and then for breakfast tomorrow. I should be a good girl and not crave it for dessert, right?;) That action photo is lots of fun! I know how you feel about the dishwasher;)

this IS a “good girl” dessert! you know dark chocolate is good for you, right? right?? πŸ˜‰ welcome home, again, it’s good to see you back around here! πŸ˜€

GAAH, that is the other thing, mine doesn’t dry either, even when I push that setting. when the cycle is complete, I open it and pull out the baskets to sit there and dry. I’m standing there shaking things, looking like a fool πŸ˜‰

You’re killing me here! That looks amazing! I agree with you, go for the kitchen island expansion and find a new basket. I hate our dishwasher too, but it’s not horrible…just not great. Oh well…

Seriously, why do you have to live on the other side of the country??? It’s not right!

the kitchen island is really what I want to do first… I have it all drawn out, actually, exactly what I want to do! πŸ˜€ (of course…) I can live with the weirdo dishwasher (after several years of NOT having one in our first apartment together, I am thankful for just having one!). but it actually makes me laugh at how weird the baskets are, like, what IS this supposed to do? my (again, normal sized) glasses don’t even fit in one of the rows. crazy-making. πŸ˜‰

and I don’t know… but I’ll keep up my campaign to get you all out here. πŸ˜‰

5. Corrie says

my neighbor has a tree and shared some cherries with us yesterday!! I know whats for breakfast tomorrow LOL

Mmmm cherries. Yes! I love the chocolate on top. I’d do the same thing.
    I hate dishwashers. Period. For some reason, I just hate loading them, unloading them, picking out the dishes that didn’t wash properly… I can’t be bothered. We rarely use ours. bah!

I go through so many dishes on my testing days, I have to use it… and I am still hand washing a lot (my ‘special’ pieces, large pieces, $200 knives, you know…) :)

This looks so amazing! I just got cherries at Whole Foods and can’t wait to give this one a try! And – your action shot is awesome!

hi Jeanette, the action shot is a gif – you can make them easily with a series of photos (google ” gif maker “) πŸ˜€

Trackbacks