new Daiya wedge cheese

I don’t talk much about products I do not like, simply because I learned long ago that many people do not really read, and I don’t want any skimmers to see a brand name mentioned and think I like it. (This is also a stipulation when companies offer me product to review – if I am at all interested I tell them I reserve the right to not review the product at all).

That said, I have explained here many times that I am a product junkie and I love to share things I love.

Daiya is a hugely popular cheese in the world of plant based and dairy free eaters. I have never been a big fan of the original shreds (although I do like the pepperjack flavor shreds!), so when they came out with the wedge cheeses, I was intrigued.

One of my new friends from class brought in two of the new flavors for us to try – the cheddar and the jack. I really liked the cheddar, and the jack was okay. This piqued my curiosity enough to buy them, and I brought home a cheddar and a havarti the next day.

The first thing I could not wait to do is test their melt-ability. Totally a word.

Also totally successful at the melting.

Look at that melty goodness on the Italian parm hot dog!

The new Daiya cheese blocks or “wedges” not only melt wonderfully, they taste pretty darn good. My favorite is the havarti, and I really like the cheddar also. The cheddar makes a good addition to my crunchy iceberg and hummus sandwich.

This is not a sponsored / paid post, nor did Daiya provide samples. I simply love the new Daiya wedges and wanted to share!

I know asking this question is like opening that proverbial can of worms, but are you a fan of vegan/dairy free cheese? Do you have a favorite?

Comments

Only one store within 300 miles of my house has any Daiya products and they just put their shreds on sale this week, so I bought a bag to try out. I’ve never had it before, but I’m looking forward to sampling (and at $6/bag, I better like the damn stuff.)

But I’ve only heard good things about the wedges. If I can ever find them here, I would certainly give it a shot based solely on your pictures πŸ˜‰

then I hope you like it, for such a long drive! (I always have to feel a bit lucky I have so many options close to me when I hear things like that…)

have a fantastic week, my friend!

• says

Oh no! I didn’t drive the 300 miles. We have one store about a half hour away that carries a few things like Daiya and such. The Trader Joes and Whole Foods are the ones that are that far away πŸ˜‰

I like the Cheddar, and LOVE the Havarti. To me, the Cheddar and Jack taste just like the Cheddar shreds and the Mozzarella shreds. I think the Jack is the least tasty, as it has a weird tangy flavor. The Havarti, however, is so amazing. I don’t know if it’s the added herbs or what, but I could eat that stuff plain (which is saying a lot for vegan cheese!).

hi Shoshana, I agree that the cheddar tastes similar to the shreds, I think with that one it is different enough, and I definitely prefer the texture. and yes, I eat it plain also, which IS saying a lot! :)

My vegan daughter is allergic to soy, almonds, dairy and peanuts, so finding a cheese like product that has a decent taste AND that melts is a plus

oh, wow Debra, yes… sounds like this is pretty much the only “cheese” your daughter can have – so happy it is a GOOD one! I love that it melts.

4. Ellen says

I love love love daiya, especially the new wedges. Obviously the havarti is the best. It’s Jalapeno Garlic!!! I scoop it out with crackers. Great quick snack! yum yum.

haa, Ellen! yep, obviously it’s the best! πŸ˜‰ I love it on crackers, I love the consistency for that, scoop-able indeed!

“I don’t want any skimmers to see a brand name mentioned and think I like it.” — truer words were never spoken! I have learned that the hard way, too. Even after I write a hundred disclaimers about something, I will still get comments that indicate that the person did not read the post…at all. Like, they must have literally just jumped to comments without reading 1 word!

That said, good to know you love this new Daiya product!

so glad you get it (I knew you would). I’ve had people ask me if I really like products as much as I say… I explain my policy and some get it? Companies are generally okay with it, I think they’d prefer positives (and I LOVE the companies that are so confident that they say absolutely no problem, we know you’ll love it!)

how is it after it’s cooled off a bit? i actually like the mock chicken patties better than the real thing, but vegan cheese has been a hard sell for me. i still have a bag of nutritional yeast that collects dust as i still favor real parm and such.

it’s good, not rubbery or anything like some get. as you can see from the photos, it melts into a saucy consistency, and stays that way. even if you only melt a little bit, it’s soft, not … rubbery. (for lack of a better word!) :)

I haven’t liked any of the vegan cheese that I have tried, there was soy cheese that was not bad, but still not great. I guess when it comes to cheese, it’s gotta be the real deal for me.

Thanks for the review, Kristina! I think these wedges, especially Havarti–yum!, could make eating 100% dairy free much more likely for me. πŸ˜‰

Great point on the reviews! You are so right about folks not reading. I have to admit that I’m often a “skimmer” reading blog posts myself. I never misinterpret reviews because I read those in detail, but I’ve missed the finer points on recipes when commenting before due to skimming. LOL

xo,
    Shirley

oh Shirley, the havarti is VERY good! and I know what you mean about 100% dairy free – it is easier when there are great tasting alternatives like this. I’ve had some other decent tasting “cheese”, but this one melts wonderfully and I really like that.

Glad you get my review policy – some think I am not being fair or unbiased. I prefer to spend my time here promoting the GOOD, not giving energy to the bad, or even creating that kind of negative debate. One sided? Perhaps, but I am very selective πŸ˜‰

and yep, I sometimes skim too… πŸ˜€

have a great week, friend! XO

9. Marty says

Daiya is definitely the best in my kitchen! Don’t like any of the almond, soy, alternative cheeses, and if they have casein or whey in them, as a vegan, why bother!

I’ve not tried the wedges yet, Fred Meyer here only carries the shredded and my fav is the mozzarella over the cheddar. They melt fabulously IMHO! When I move back East I’ll try to find it there. It’s a little spendy so I wait to buy it on sale occasionally.

I gave up on fake cheese. It’s either awful and plastic-like or way out of my price range–I just wait until I go to a local vegan restaurant and get their nachos, I don’t know what they use for their “cheese” but it’s amazing! And since that’s pretty much the only time I get “cheese,” it makes it a big treat. I actually got some fake cheese for free a few weeks ago…and had no idea what to do with it, haha. I’ve apparently forgotten how to use cheese!

if you’re not missing it save for the treats out, then you’re good! there’s always homemade, too. πŸ˜€

• says

Vegan cheese-making is definitely a project I’d love to tackle–It seems so simple, yet I somehow haven’t gotten around to it yet.

kinda funky, a lot of fun… we made some in my class last month – “fermenting” overnight. it tastes AMAZING!

I’ve been searching for the Havarti – I can’t find it anywhere. The wedges are my new obsession, they are absolutely amazing. In the meantime, my favorite is the Jack. We eat it straight from the package, no cooking necessary. That’s how you know it’s an AMAZING vegan cheese! :)

oh I hope you can find it soon, Heather! until then, open up the jack, squirt it with a lemon and throw some herbs on it? πŸ˜‰

12. chris says

I have to drive (minimum)4 hours to get my wedge fix, but it is so worth it. Still working on the store managers here to get them to order them instead of the ‘vegan’ cheeses that contain casein, since that is why I am dairy free in the first place… Totally agree with you, the havarti IS the best!

oh those “vegan” cheeses that contain casien??! no, just no. I hope the stores nearer to you start stocking this… until then, it’s just that much more of a treat, right? :)

13. patricia says

i would really love to find this product . my son is autistic and loves cheese i am
    putting him on the gluten free casien free diet and it seems daiya cheese is the only
    cheese without both of those ingrediants …..

14. Julie says

Gotta agree. My two vegan friends and I tried the Havarti and I skeptically tasted it on a cracker while we were waiting for our mini-pizzas to cook. OMG! What a pleasant surprise! I’ve never met an uncooked vegan cheese that I liked until I discovered the Havarti earlier this week. We’ve been eating it like a cream cheese spread on crackers, bagels, and cooking it everything. I’m so hap-hap-happy I can finally make some great sandwiches for hiking.

I just spotted the Havarti, Jack and Cheddar wedges at Whole Foods today and was wondering if they were any good – so glad to hear you liked the Havarti.

the havarti is definitely my favorite! the cheddar and jack are very good as well – the jack was great in this dish!

16. Marty says

Little late here…but love, love Daiya! I’ve only tried the shreds because that’s all FredMeyers/Nutrition offers here and I only buy it when its on sale, around $5. I love it’s melt ability, and flavor, great in soups. I can’t wait to be someplace where I can try the havarti and wedges.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Marty! I hope you are able to find the wedges soon – I like them SO MUCH MORE than the shreds… so if you like the shreds, you would LOVE these, I think! πŸ˜‰ I have been finding the wedges on sale lately, I’ve been lucky!

17. Emily says

I’m taking vegan month by month. I’ve been doing without cheese but the QFC by my house was having a sale on Daiya and I hear it being name dropped by my vegan friends like no other haha! I just picked up the cheddar wedge and made like 4 grilled cheeses. It was DELICIOUS, equally as addicting as normal cheddar, HOMG. Anyways, they were only 2.50 HAHAHA. I’m going to go by 4 cheddar and 4 havarti and freeze them.

• Kristina Sloggett says

good luck with the vegan month by month – I laughed when I misread your QFC as KFC… ha! πŸ˜‰

… and oh YES if it is only 2.50 go Go GO! buy them all! πŸ˜‰ isn’t it amazing??

18. Jennifer says

I just picked up the Daiya jack style wedge and am not feeling it. It has a weird, tangy taste. I had the havarti in my hand but put it back because it read jalepeno and I’m generally not a big fan of jalepeno. I’m a baby with spice sometime. Is it mild?

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Brandy! Mmm, that sounds SO good – I love a good Mac & Cheese. Daiya is coming out with new products, have you heard? Three flavors of a cream cheese, and some sliced cheese, in cheddar, Swiss and provolone!

…I promise I am not affiliated with Daiya… I just love them πŸ˜‰