cherry picking

We went cherry picking tonight…

We didn’t have to go very far.

This tree is in our own yard!

We picked two huge bowls and came back inside.

There are cherries for days still on the tree.

What should I make first?

Oh I do miss backyard cherry trees! We had two when I was a kid and we so looked forward to tree climbing and cherry picking and cherry baking-up-a-storm every year. Always pies, because mom was a pie kinda gal.
    I might suggest cherry pop tarts…only better than the store-bought sugared-up variety. Maybe a grown-up version, with a hint of liqueur…Amaretto/almond, Frangelico/hazelnut, Cointreau/orange or PAMA/pomegranate?

oh, Nik I love the pop tart idea! I do want to make a pie, perhaps a hand pie / pop tart! Those are always more fun and what I generally make anyway. Having just moved, I miss our SIX blueberry bushes, but this tree was a nice surprise when I started to see cherries! πŸ˜€

I know, they are SO pretty – I’m thinking the ones in the store have got to be a different kind, the ones I’ve seen aren’t a deep red, more of a bright orangey red?

Mmm, is “eating plain fresh cherries” a recipe? Because you should totally make that. A lot of that. And then maybe an updated version of a cherry pie? I hate the kind made from the red blobby goo in a can, but I just feel like there’s so much potential there for something fun/unique.

oh we have totally been doing that – a lot of it. my brother stopped by last night and made a significant dent also! I wanted to make some sort of hand pie or galette – never made one of those.

soooooo jealous of your cherry tree!

i’m not help with recipe suggestions. i’ve bought POUNDS and POUNDS of cherries this summer and have just snacked away on them raw. they’re so good!

I’m so jealous- I want a cherry tree in my yard! We had both a sweet and sour tree in my yard growing up, but the birds always ate all of the cherries before we could get to them!
    Hmm… what to make… some kind of salad? Combining cherries and cheese? Something savory and unexpected- that’s my vote.
    And while you’re at it- a smoothie, a dessert involving chocolate, a pie, a tart, cookies…..

mmm, yes! I was thinking goat cheese + hazelnuts. spinach. and there WILL be desserts. plural.

there have been a couple birds here and there, but nothing like I expected (our blueberry bushes used to have tons of birds and we’d put up flash tape – classy – which they would ignore!).

OMG I would LOVE to pick cherries!! That is so fun!! LOVE CHERRIES!! And clearly way too excited about your cherry tree, haha πŸ˜‰

I am so jealous you have a cherry tree! Every time I drop $10+ on them at the grocery store, I think how one day I really, really want to have my own tree. I don’t even know what I would do if I had unlimited access. haha

I know Amanda, it’s kind of overwhelming! Jason and I both have so many ideas for them, though… I don’t think we’ll have a problem!

I have eaten plenty today… too much. πŸ˜€ There are SO many on the tree still… but they are very high and we don’t know how to get them down (Jason found a couple extension type tools, this tree goes above those!) we may have to rent a cherry picker machine, weee!

You should make a ship-able box and send some to me of course! LOL.

Maybe a cherry chutney to go on something savory? Mmm I’m thinking grilled cheese with avo and spicy cherry chutney? I’m literally salivating right now.

OH MAN, CHERRIES. Are they sweet or tart? Because if they’re tart, then PIE PIE PIE PIE PIE.

I’ve been making schnapps (aka “infused vodka”) with all my backyard plums! You could totally make a cherry schnapps, especially if you have an overabundance dripping all over your backyard. Just fill a jar 2/3 with cherries and cover it with vodka, let steep for a couple months, strain, & drink. Save that fruit!

oh wow, I love this vodka turned homemade schnapps idea! I love it a lot! I may have to save some for this… I may get up from my desk and do this NOW.

9. spabettiemom says

OMG!!!!….you all have a cherry tree….when can we come over???? you best save some for your mama…yeh….

Mom you better get here soon, we are eating them all… wait until you see tomorrows post – it’s a dessert fit for spabettie mom! XXO

I know I know I know!! yeeee I am so excited. you should hear the list of things Jason and I are planning. I ate way too many today.

10. Lynn F says

pit them and freeze! Just do that all summer for all year goodness…I am a huge fan of the black cherry smoothie! I like the ice cream idea too! πŸ˜›

Lynn I have been pitting all afternoon and evening! my hands are red! you need to come help me! I will pay you in cherries (and stuffed jalapenos).

11. Maddy says

At the bakery I work at, we made cherry lemonade sweetened with agave and oh my goodness, one of the best things I’ve ever had!

Maddy you had me at “bakery I work at” – you have my dream job. πŸ˜€ I may have some cherry limeade popsicles in the freezer right now… πŸ˜‰

I was so happy when the fruit started to appear… especially because I was missing my blueberry bushes at the old house! πŸ˜€

12. Natasha says

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have always wanted a cherry tree….le sigh. Tres jealous…
    how are you? grand I see! :)
    Ok – down to it….How about a Cherry Jam infused with fresh Basil (just hold your pooch over the jars and that should do the trick! ;)). Cherries Julilee? Cherry Ice Cream, Dehydrated Cherries for making homemade larabars…the list is endless my friend…endless!
    Hugs and hope you get Basil as sister soon!
    – Natasha

HELLLLOOOOOOO my dear!

Basil infused cherry jam? I am picturing me waving B-Pup back and forth over the pot… πŸ˜‰ I dehydrated some already, there are some in the freezer (some to save for later, some in the form of a sorbet!), oh the possibilities!

sending you big loves – hope your summer is going fantastically! XO

Aww, love this! I went cherry picking as a child, every summer. You could eat as much as you wanted during picking and only had to pay what you carried away outside of your stomach. Can you imagine how stuffed with cherries I always was? πŸ˜€ I also enjoy cherry pit long spitting, although I was never really good at it. It was great fun nevertheless, and I always hoped it would make cherry trees grow everywhere. :)

holy crap! i’m so envious of you right now. my parents have a cherry tree in their yard too – lucky bitches πŸ˜‰ i suggest making some bourbon soaked cherries. of course.

thank you for sharing with us at the Fresh Foods Blog Hop – we hope to see you again this week!