Jason’s Birthday Cookie

When I asked Jason what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday this year, his immediate answer was a big mall cookie.

He requested this back in April. Yep, I start planning things that far ahead.

Then in early May, we went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants that I used to frequent. Jason’s go to restaurant dessert is sorbet, or a simple vanilla bean ice cream. Looking at the menu, he saw an affogato – a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or gelato, generally) with a shot of espresso poured over.

This was his first affogato, and now he looks for it on every restaurant menu. If he cannot find it he asks for it.

I was so intent on the giant mall cookie, I made it for his birthday.Β This cookie is chewy and has just the flavor I was look for – a subtle sweet cookie studded with melty chocolate. I need to test whether this would make actual free form cookies, but as a large cookie or in whoopie pie molds, it works great!

and for Jason’s birthday, I had to include theΒ mall frosting decoration.

We had affogato as well.

giant chocolate chip cookie

adapted from Butter Toffee Blondies

soy, dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes one large cookie (standard 9 1/2 inch tart pan)

1/4 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons ground flax
3/4 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill all purpose)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life mega chunks)

Combine applesauce and flax in a small bowl, set aside. In large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla; add flax applesauce. Add flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and chocolate chips – combine together then fold into wet ingredients.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly if you want to eat it warm with melty ice cream. Cool completely if you want to decorate it mall style.

Happy Birthday, Jason.

Comments

What’s awesome is that I can do this! And I was ALWAYS a fan of the Cookie Company cookie cakes for my birthday. I ended up eating more of the icing probably. Dang, this looks awesome. Happy Birthday indeed!

you can do this and you should! :) and yeah, I didn’t really think I’d like the icing on there, but it was one of the best parts! πŸ˜‰

OMG yum! THIS is exactly what Scott will want next year — since I did the ice cream sandwich thing for him this year, I gotta go even BIGGER next year, ha. I love it!!

um, you should make TWO giant cookies and then make an ice cream sandwich?? my head just exploded.

he was excited by the surprise (it was after his birthday since we spent the actual day on our wine vacation). but each time we eat a piece he says “exactly what I wanted” so that is cool πŸ˜€

HAAA, it is so funny you say that, Steph… last night Basil took a swipe at the ice cream on Jason’s plate… πŸ˜‰

OMG YUM! I LOVE a big cookie! That’s an awesome idea! Well done, I am sure he loved it! did he eat the entire thing? πŸ˜‰

Happy Birthday Jason!! You have the best wife EVER!

Looks fabulous! I always loved a good cookie cake, except mine were not the healthier ones , hehe!

Love it!

This reminds me of the Pazookie at BJ’s…supposedly they made a gluten-free version, but I think this one looks much better. YUM!

wow, I haven’t been to BJ’s in a while, then! I didn’t even know they were doing gluten free choices!

• says

Yes! I haven’t been in about a year now, but last summer I tried their gf pizza and a brownie-cookie hybrid thingie. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t worth me driving there for. It’s nice to have options, of course. I don’t remember what their gf alcohol options were, though – I don’t think there’s a cider yet.

Jason’s birthday cookie looks totally awesome!!! The rest of the celebration sounds perfect, too. :-) Happy Birthday to Jason! And lucky us that you are sharing the recipe with us. πŸ˜‰

xo,
    Shirley

Happy Birthday to Jason… so glad you shared this cookie with us all… Naturally I am pinning it! I need to stock up on some gluten free baking supplies… If you ever think of doing a post on what a gluten-free larder would have in it, I would be so grateful!

I know that in Canada I cannot buy ALL the same products but we do have Bob’s Red Mill and Pam’s I think… but even generic names such as the gums and flours you use would be wonderful! Thanks so much… and I love your pictures too.

I use Bob’s much of the time, and bulk ingredients when I can… this is a great idea, Elle, I will work on something soon, okay? (and / or possibly just email you some info, if I cannot find extra time…) :)

you know, with the frosting it tasted sorta similar! πŸ˜‰ he loved it, any way. I know, good choice, right?

What a lucky birthday boy! I used to love “mall cookies” growing up — but they did always make me feel quite sick afterward — sugar overload! :) Anyhow, your cookie cake looks perfect! I vote for cookie cakes on our bakery menu. So much less fuss than real cakes!