raspberry lemonade pops

During the summer you can always find at least 3 flavors of popsicles in my freezer. This summer, that number will increase, as will the creative flavors, as I am always thinking of ways to soothe and heal my dad’s throat.

Our new house is closer to Dad, and I can quickly drive these up the hill to him. I wish I could bring these to share with the whole chemo room (I feel like I could write volumes about the inspiring people I meet there!). Perhaps I need to pack a cooler…

raspberry lemonade pops (for my Pop!)

1/3 cup sugar*
4 cups water, divided
juice of 5 lemons (about 1 cup)
1 pint raspberries

*increase for a sweeter lemonade

In saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar with 1 cup water, stirring until dissolved (making a simple syrup**). Remove from heat and allow to cool. Reserve 3-4 whole raspberries per popsicle, adding remaining raspberries to blender and puree. Combine remaining 3 cups water, simple syrup, lemon juice and raspberries. Place 3-4 raspberries in each popsicle mold, then fill with raspberry lemonade mixture. Freeze.

**simple syrup is generally a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water, sometimes 2:1

I made six popsicles (in my favorite molds!) and had leftover lemonade to serve over ice.

These fresh farmers market raspberries are a great natural sweetener, and the whole berries give a tart surprise throughout. Perfect for a sunny summer day.

Comments

Yummy flavor combo. I think taking them all one of those would be the bright spot in their day! Have you seen the movie 50/50? Just the mention of other chemo patients made me think of that. I would love to hear about them!

yeah, I have been thinking about it, I should just do it. not all chemo patients can handle the cold, but some really like it. we JUST saw 50/50 a couple weekends ago, I really liked it. aside from the obvious not fun aspects, the chemo room is generally a positive and happy place.

I bet they would, with very little alcohol? it won’t freeze otherwise. I’d give it a try though, worst case you’d have a bunch of very cold mojito shots! 😉

I love that you made these for dad too! Here’s my issue. I LOVE fresh raspberries so much I don’t think I could eat them any other way but fresh. Frozen would probably not taste as good in this, huh? Ironically??

When my mom was in the hospital with cancer, I would take her waffles and blueberries and a friend made fresh carrot juice. She really seemed to appreciate these treats. I love how you make these for you dad and I will think of him each time we make them.

thank you, Linda! Dad welcomes as many good thoughts as he can get! :) I bring Dad fresh juice too, he loves it! in my vegan + raw class right now we are learning about fermented drinks, the one we are making is Rejuvelac – I can’t wait to make it for Dad, very healing! :)

I like the whole raspberries in there – as sweet as they are, they end up very tart which is a nice contrast. Mmm. :)

I was so exhausted today, and then I came here and felt refreshed immediately from just looking at the pictures of your lovely raspberry popsicles. Thank you so much for that! (I wouldn’t mind trying one, if they just weren’t somewhere beyond the Atlantic Ocean … 😉 )

Sorry about your dad! My brother has cancer right now, finished 3 rounds of chemo so far – he said nothing tastes good :(

Unfortunately my brother lives in Austin TX and I’m in Chicago.

Glad you are closer to your dad!

oh, I am SO grateful to be here with Dad. He went through that early on with his (very aggressive) chemo – losing taste. His appetite has returned, thankfully – doing radiation 5x a week now + chemo, I hope he continues to feel good.

I’m sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your brother’s way.

Trackbacks