raspberry lemonade pops

in Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, summertime, Vegan

During the summer you can always find at least 3 flavors of popsicles in my freezer. This summer, that number will increase, as will the creative flavors, as I am always thinking of ways to soothe and heal my dad’s throat.

Our new house is closer to Dad, and I can quickly drive these up the hill to him. I wish I could bring these to share with the whole chemo room (I feel like I could write volumes about the inspiring people I meet there!). Perhaps I need to pack a cooler…

raspberry lemonade pops (for my Pop!)

1/3 cup sugar*
4 cups water, divided
juice of 5 lemons (about 1 cup)
1 pint raspberries

*increase for a sweeter lemonade

In saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar with 1 cup water, stirring until dissolved (making a simple syrup**). Remove from heat and allow to cool. Reserve 3-4 whole raspberries per popsicle, adding remaining raspberries to blender and puree. Combine remaining 3 cups water, simple syrup, lemon juice and raspberries. Place 3-4 raspberries in each popsicle mold, then fill with raspberry lemonade mixture. Freeze.

**simple syrup is generally a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water, sometimes 2:1

I made six popsicles (in my favorite molds!) and had leftover lemonade to serve over ice.

These fresh farmers market raspberries are a great natural sweetener, and the whole berries give a tart surprise throughout. Perfect for a sunny summer day.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 15, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yummy flavor combo. I think taking them all one of those would be the bright spot in their day! Have you seen the movie 50/50? Just the mention of other chemo patients made me think of that. I would love to hear about them!

2 spabettie June 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

yeah, I have been thinking about it, I should just do it. not all chemo patients can handle the cold, but some really like it. we JUST saw 50/50 a couple weekends ago, I really liked it. aside from the obvious not fun aspects, the chemo room is generally a positive and happy place.

3 Heather @ Better With Veggies June 15, 2012 at 11:23 am

So incredibly cute! I haven’t had popsicle makers like this since I was a kid, but I love the idea. I can picture mohito pops in the freezer – I wonder if that would work even with alcohol? ;)

4 spabettie June 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I bet they would, with very little alcohol? it won’t freeze otherwise. I’d give it a try though, worst case you’d have a bunch of very cold mojito shots! ;)

5 Jess June 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

Aww I love that you make these for your dad, that is the sweetest thing. They look so yummy and refreshing!

6 spabettie June 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm

they are! I hope he likes them too… :)

7 jobo June 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love that you made these for dad too! Here’s my issue. I LOVE fresh raspberries so much I don’t think I could eat them any other way but fresh. Frozen would probably not taste as good in this, huh? Ironically??

8 veganlinda June 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

When my mom was in the hospital with cancer, I would take her waffles and blueberries and a friend made fresh carrot juice. She really seemed to appreciate these treats. I love how you make these for you dad and I will think of him each time we make them.

9 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

thank you, Linda! Dad welcomes as many good thoughts as he can get! :) I bring Dad fresh juice too, he loves it! in my vegan + raw class right now we are learning about fermented drinks, the one we are making is Rejuvelac – I can’t wait to make it for Dad, very healing! :)

10 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm

These are perfect for summer…I’m thinking spiked and an adult-version, too :)

11 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

Averie, you are speaking my language now! ;)

12 Tara Burner June 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm

YUMMMMY!

13 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

:D they were!

14 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm

oh those sounds so refreshing! perfect for summer!! and what a gorgeous color! thanks for sharing!

15 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

perfect for summer, yes!

16 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love that you put whole fruit in these! Max and I are ready to make them together and then eat them up!

17 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

I like the whole raspberries in there – as sweet as they are, they end up very tart which is a nice contrast. Mmm. :)

18 Shirley @ gfe June 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Beautiful and made for such a wonderful purpose, too!

xoxo,
Shirley

19 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

thank you, Shirley! I really want to make a large amount and bring them up to the clinic! :)

20 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

I was so exhausted today, and then I came here and felt refreshed immediately from just looking at the pictures of your lovely raspberry popsicles. Thank you so much for that! (I wouldn’t mind trying one, if they just weren’t somewhere beyond the Atlantic Ocean … ;) )

21 Jenn@slim-shoppin June 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Sorry about your dad! My brother has cancer right now, finished 3 rounds of chemo so far – he said nothing tastes good :(

Unfortunately my brother lives in Austin TX and I’m in Chicago.

Glad you are closer to your dad!

22 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

oh, I am SO grateful to be here with Dad. He went through that early on with his (very aggressive) chemo – losing taste. His appetite has returned, thankfully – doing radiation 5x a week now + chemo, I hope he continues to feel good.

I’m sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your brother’s way.

23 cookingrookie June 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Delicious! And such beautiful red :-)

24 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

thank you – we loved these – can’t wait to make more!

25 Kristy July 6, 2012 at 6:01 am

these look so refreshing!

26 Lori June 21, 2013 at 6:48 am

Am I missing something? I don’t see what to do with the remaining 3 cups of water. Thanks!

27 Kristina Sloggett June 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm

nope, looks like I missed something – I’ve edited the directions to include the 3 cups water (mixed in with the rest of the ingredients to make a lemonade).

thanks!

28 Lori June 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Thanks! I can’t wait to try these! BTW- I have the same molds as you. :-)

29 Kristina Sloggett June 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm