southwest six layer dip

I have been go go go lately, which hasn’t left much kitchen time. The same breakfast smoothie and lunch sandwich aren’t really interesting talk around here. Well, I did find a smoothie shop in our new neighborhood, so I may actually tell you about that soon.

My kitchen is about half unpacked, so I am able to partly function in there, and it is my main focus to get organized first. I am looking forward to cooking again.

The best thing we have eaten recently, when I finally did get in the kitchen? Individual six layer dips.

We ate these three times last week – as a dip for lunch, over crunchy lettuce as a salad, in a quinoa bowl topped with crushed tortilla chips. These flavors are so good, and don’t get old.

Using the fire roasted green chiles I brought back from Santa Fe last spring, this layered lunch has a southwest spin. The sweet corn mixes perfectly with the sweet-spicy noocho cheese, while the crisp lettuce and avocado provide a cool and creamy finish.

All together? A perfect warm weather lunch that is both light and filling.

Now I want to visit Santa Fe again…

I’m posting atย Fork You! No, Fork You!ย while Christina is off getting married – seeย the recipe here – southwest six layer dip.

eta: two things – sorry about the formatting. Also, I am guessing Christina is offline for a bit, so all comments are going into moderation. Thanks for reading!

Still such beautiful photos! I’m very visual, so I love the layers of color through the clear glass. All you need is a little dab of red–salsa, maybe?–and you’re eating the rainbow ๐Ÿ˜‰

At any rate, I hope you guys are settling in. Very exciting stuff, even if the food isn’t…quite yet.

thank you, Abby! you know what’s funny, I had a tomato, but Jason doesn’t like them, and I was making this for our lunch… It was a deliberate choice in trying for “southwest colors” if there is such a thing…

we are settling in – I am unpacking boxes and organizing – it is nice to be down to ONE house. ๐Ÿ˜€

oh my, Tommy – it is as if you KNEW JT started off my day… you are too funny, and timely! quinoa – funny you noticed… I don’t know if I got burned out or needed a break, but I went to quinoa every day to… hardly at all. I miss it. you will see more! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just saw this on RecipeNewZ. So glad to see that you are back to blogging :-). What a wonderful recipe! And the pics are so beautiful and full of light – pure delight :-). Thanks for sharing!
    p.s. by the way, I tried to leave a comment on Christina’s site, but I’m not sure it worked. But I guess that can be taken care of after the honeymoon ๐Ÿ˜‰

thank you – it is very good to BE back! I feel like myself again ๐Ÿ˜‰

ha – I don’t know if Christina will be accessing her site at all, I wish I could get in there to reformat into paragraphs and recipe …

O. M. G. This looks SO GOOD (I know, I KNOW I always say this!!) and so versatile!! You cook more than me even when you ARE busy!!

so easy! I’m getting back into the habit of making a large pot of quinoa each week, and I lately I always have a batch of noocho cheese… everything else comes together very quickly if those things are already chillin’ in the fridge! ๐Ÿ˜€

we had a version of these for dinner tonight, you’re right I could eat them again and again. like for lunch tomorrow! thanks Kristina!

Yay for your new home! AND delicious colourful fresh dip.salad.lunch-thingies :) I’m going to have to try this… my family LOVES anything with a South-Western spin!

then make this, soon! it’s a nice change from the 7 layer one I usually do. happy weekend, Lou!

ha – I just need a taller vessel. Mexican is a constant craving here, too. It ALWAYS sounds good.

Beautiful photos as always! I did something similar to this for my sister-in-law’s bridal shower and it was a hit. I’ll have to try it with the quinoa next time!