pass the mic

source

Another entry about something other than food?

Yeah, but I could not let the passing of my favorite Beastie go by without saying something, paying tribute in some way. Besides, I haven’t had time to cook lately.

I love music of all kinds, and one of my all time favorites has always been Beastie Boys. Their musical talent has shaped decades of inspiration for me, and has been the soundtrack to many events. It was the source of one massive project I took on while living at Sunriver Resort. I have attended more of their concerts than I can count. Easy to say Beastie Boys has created the most significant music, the most monumental for me. The most epic.

Their music always gives me energy, lifts me up, makes things positive. Whenever Jason asks what I’d like to listen to (road trip, whatever…), I undoubtedly answer Beastie Boys. Every time.

The first time I heard the word Namaste? Beastie Boys, Bodhisattva Vow live.

Who inspired my art history reports about Toulouse-Lautrec? Beastie Boys, The Move.

Which concert is the only one I’d run down the hill to elbow my way to the front row? Beastie Boys at the stunning Gorge Amphitheater, for Sasquatch 2007 and Endfest 2002 (where I also sprained my wrist dancing while yelling the lyrics to Paul Revere).

…and if you really still want an entry about food? A year ago this month I made the MCA Smoothie for my favorite Vegan Beastie.

source

Good times gone and you missed them
What’s gone wrong in your system
Things they bounce just like a Spaulding
What’d you think did you miss your calling
It’s so free this kind of feeling
It’s like life it’s so appealing
When you got so much to say
It’s called gratitude

Rest In Peace Adam Yauch. You are greatly missed, from White Castle to The Nile.

Comments

So so sad. What a loss. Man I LOVE the Beastie Boys… and you kick ass even more so in my head now that I know how much music means to you (as it does to me! If that makes any sense?)

that makes perfect sense, really. I have felt that way over the last few days, learning of people who loved them as much as I did, sometimes surprising. It’s like you feel another connection with them then, right, finding out they are fans? 😀 same goes for someone who just GETS music. that IS a connection you can’t have with just anyone. XO

I’m so glad to see this post and so sad it had to be made:(

The music will still supply me the energy that you mention but will just be tinged with so much goddam sadness. It’s just not right that a Beasie Boy should die.

I know, I had to write something, they were so much a part of my life thus far. I hate that this happened. He was way too young, with too much to still do. He was an incredible person that was a voice for people in need.

you are welcome, Maryea. I still get chills when I think about it – they really were a part of SO many memories!

Thank you for making this post! I’ve learned about it this morning and was very sad. Although I’ve never listened to the Beastie Boys much, they are inspirational and great musicians, and I’m very sad that Adam Yauch has been called away too early. May he be fine wherever he is now.

oh Kath, I know even if you aren’t a fan, you can relate to and respect just how amazing they are, how inspirational and moving. <3

oh, I am positive I’ve talked about the Beastie Boys… seriously my favorite band ever. …and I will take that ‘style’ comment as a compliment, thank you! 😉

I was very sad to hear he passed as well, and my boyfriend was in tears. mca was a stand-up individual. I like the sound of the smoothie – I made a Buddha bowl in his honor yesterday!

I was in tears too – I was not really surprised at my reaction after I started thinking about just how big a part they played in so many years of my life. Very sad to realize it is done. ah, a Buddha bowl is a perfect tribute – he would have loved it!

Yep–you’ve echoed my exact thoughts and feelings over the past few days. So many memories tied up in their music, and I always felt like I evolved alongside them as we grew up, from rebellious teens to compassionate-minded people. But his beautiful soul will be welcomed and cherished wherever he goes. And we are incredibly lucky to have all that music to keep us company in his absence.

yes, Kristine – the music has been a good thing to listen to (I had Paul’s Boutique on all weekend), but also sad to listen to at times. I always loved his voice the best! RIP MCA – far too young, and terrible when it is a person who does such good for others.

Oh, this one got me! Tony and I were in total shock on Friday when the news hit. We are both HUGE fans and really, not only does it feel like a strange passing of time, but it also hits hard with the loss for his family. I am so sad for his wife and little girl. I could not imagine losing a precious part of my family so young. He will be greatly missed, but I do hope his body is at peace now.

I know, I was in shock too. I did not take it well at all – Beastie Boys mean a great deal to me in so many ways (I know I did not begin to express that here). I thought he was recovering, and hearing this was not a good thing, especially now. :(

I also feel for his family, and for the remaining Beasties. I hate to think such an awesome band is no longer. I also really hate that he is gone for all of the people he was a support and a voice for. He was truly one of the good ones (and I’m crying again!). Knowing you two were big fans makes me smile, though, your cool points just went up even more in my book 😉

way too young! especially when it is a person who takes care of themselves, is healthy otherwise.

I listened to Paul’s Boutique on repeat almost all weekend. It was sometimes hard to listen to his voice, you know? So sad. and yeah, fucking cancer. boo.

yeah, sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news. so very sad, especially because he was a support and voice for those in need.