another feel good story

I have only shared something like this one other time, with varying degrees of response. I don’t care, those who get it, get it.

Those who don’t are not reading this sentence, so they won’t know that I don’t care if this is made up, that I did not verify accuracy via snopes, that I simply want to share a heartwarming story.

I liked it, I hope you do too:

A NYC Taxi driver wrote:

I arrived at the address and honked the horn. After waiting a few minutes I honked again. Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift I thought about just driving away, but instead I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.. ‘Just a minute’, answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90’s stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940’s movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets.

There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard
box filled with photos and glassware.

‘Would you carry my bag out to the car?’ she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness. ‘It’s nothing’, I told her… ‘I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.’

‘Oh, you’re such a good boy, she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, ‘Could you drive through downtown?’

‘It’s not the shortest way,’ I answered quickly…

‘Oh, I don’t mind,’ she said. ‘I’m in no hurry. I’m on my way to a hospice.’

I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. ‘I don’t have any family left,’ she continued in a soft voice…’ The doctor says I don’t have very long.’ I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

‘What route would you like me to take?’ I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she’d ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, ‘I’m tired.Let’s go now’.

We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

‘How much do I owe you?’ she asked, reaching into her purse.

‘Nothing,’ I said.

‘You have to make a living,’ she answered.

‘There are other passengers,’ I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.

‘You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,’ she said. ‘Thank you.’

I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.

I didn’t pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

On a quick review, I don’t think that I have done anything more important in my life.

We’re conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

________________________

… like my Grandpa Z always said – ‘you should always Stop and Smell the Roses…’

Comments

laying in bed with warm tears rolling down my cheeks! I loved reading this so much that I commented from my iPhone. that’s rare! (and yes, I’m in bed. remember, it’s 3 hours later here. 😉 love your heart!

ah, Sweet Dorry. I *know* that’s a big deal! sending you a big hug, my dear. I love YOUR heart! XXO

2. Tommy says

AAAAWWWWW. wait, I have something in my eye, dang, BOTH eyes.

Too sweet my friend. Having grown up in NYC, I can attest there ARE people like this among us. Like you.

3. Nina says

What a lovely story. I hope it is a true account… but it really doesn’t matter if it’s fiction.
    My eyes appear to be leaking.
    I will try to spend the rest of the day simply ‘being’ in the moment. So much of life is a rush, what to what ends, ultimately?
    Thank you for posting this story. xx

you are welcome, Nina! I agree, I hope it’s true, but that didn’t stop me from sharing, because… it’s still good, right? the hope is true. :)

O.M.Goodness!!!
    That had tears rolling down my cheeks (I’m a total cry baby) and smiling all at the same time. I hope it’s a true story (but, like you, don’t care if it’s not) because I am a firm believer that life is made up of many “little moments” as opposed to the random, rare “earth shattering” events.

Such a lovely thing to read before bed. Thank You!

hi Maria!! :) yeah, it has to be true, right? in some sense, it is… there are good ones out there. 😀

This is beautiful and I’m glad you shared it. So many great lessons to be learned here. Since I’ve worked with the elderly in nursing homes, I think it’s easy to forget they were once vibrant and young with life stories and adventures and experiences.

There are so many negative stories in the news and not enough touching ones. Sometimes, we forget the world doesn’t revolve around us, that we should pause and think (something only humans are capable of) before we simply react. Because I think we should be kind to everyone, not just those who make it easy (and I say this with the disclaimer that I probably don’t do it enough).

Thank you for sharing. Brings a lot of thought.

oh, I KNOW!! we need to practice kindness to everyone, and make that extra effort towards those who are sometimes … difficult?

and our elders – I have always loved talking to them, it is fascinating to listen to someone who has been through so many decades of time. People love to talk about themselves and their experiences, when given a chance. :)

That is such an amazing story. It brought me to tears. You just never know how much your small gestures can impact someone in a great way. A great reminder to always be kind to others. Always. Thank you so so much for sharing.

SUCH a great reminder to be kind always, and not get annoyed by… anything! hugs to you, friend XO

“But great moments often catch us unaware – beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.” I absolutely love this last line because it’s so true. It’s the little things in life and often we miss out on those looking for the big ones.

so true, Heather! it’s the little things, right? how does that saying go – ‘life happens while we are making grand plans for it’ ? :)

Thank you for posting. Even if it didn’t happen, it makes me feel like the world is a better place just imagining that it did :)

I’ll admit, I don’t usually read these types of stories (like the email you get forwarded), but since it’s you, I did. And thank you – this was wonderful and tugged at my heart (I’m not a cryer, so no tears). What a beautiful reminder that we need to keep our hears open and not become hard – you never know whose lives you will touch.

oh my Gosh, I am so glad I read this! It brought tears to my eyes too. And I’m not usually one to read these either, but wow, so so beautiful. Thanks for making me smile on this rainy Thursday!

11. Natasha says

Thank you. I just came back from admitting Jessie to the Animal Hospital…I don’t know if I will have a dog coming home.
    My heart is so heavy and I’m crying as I type this…life is so bittersweet at times, and todayI thank you for being you.

oh, sweetie! I am so sorry Jessie is not well… sending all kinds of healing prayers and positive vibes your way, PLEASE keep me updated. XO

Oh MAN you know how to bring tears to my eyes, my friend. That was the most beautiful story. Shared by a beautiful and kind-hearted friend. THANK YOU for this. I heart you. xoxo

isn’t it the sweetest? love you too, girl – I’m grateful for your positive presence in my life!

13. Melissa says

Thank You! I had to keep wiping my eyes to finish reading. I would like to believe that this type of kindness happens regularly.

you and everyone else, Christina! :) you are right, we should all practice this kind of patience.

14. Hannah-lyz says

I love this so so much. Life isn’t about what possesions you have, or how much money you earn.. It’s making the most of each and every moment, and always doing for others what you’d one day like to be done for you.
    In a world so full of cynicism and ignorance, this little story gives me hope :) Even if it is just fiction, the heart it came from is a good one, so that’s good enough for me! Thanks for sharing this :) We should all try to share a little bit more joy in the world ♥ x

that is indeed a beautiful story.. i have tears running down my face too.. and hubbs is looking all puzzled..
    Its so true.. in this mad race we call life, who stops to help anyone.. or even ask how they are doing. We all need just a little love, just a little patience.