salsa cheddar grilled cheese

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

We have spent the last week in Missouri. We have seen bright sunshine, booming thunderstorms, sideways rains, and currently? A tornado watch for several areas, including BoCoMo (Boone County).

Everyone around me is used to this sort of thing, and therefore calm. While I am comforted by the fact that there is a tornado shelter directly across the street, I really don’t want to have to experience a tornado. I have been in Missouri to hear the monthly siren test, and I don’t really want to hear that ominous sound, either. Creepy indeed.

I could use one of these sandwiches right now – a good distraction.

One thing I craved when I could not have itcrunchy buttery toast. Another thing I craved? Tomatoes and cheese. Not having a fresh tomato in the house, I opted for salsa. Hey, it’s close, right?

It’s also good.

salsa cheddar grilled cheese

gluten and dairy free, vegan

2 slices gluten free bread
3-4 slices cheddar cheese (Teese)
2-3 tablespoons salsa of your choice
butter (Earth Balance soy free)

Butter both sides of bread. Arrange cheese on one slice, place both pieces of bread side by side on baking sheet, bake at 350 until cheese melts and bread toasts. Remove from oven, spoon salsa over cheese and cover with second slice of bread.

Straight up comfort food, indeed. This is a craving-satisfying combination.

Have you been in a tornado? Do you have extreme weather in your area?

*edited to add last night’s conversation:

Kris: will we hear the sirens if they go off?

Jason: yes, we will hear them.

Kris: okay, goodnight…

Jason: wait, no we won’t hear them – the next time they go off we’ll be back in Portland.

Good Answer. Made me feel better, and probably my mom too, right mom? We are fine!

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 16, 2012 at 5:19 am

That is one yummy grilled cheese. I always put ketchup on mine LOL. Yep, we live in tornado alley – so been through them. I think it’s kind of scary how used to them you can get though. Then you don’t pay attention to the sirens quite like you should.

2 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

Heather I add ketchup to mine too!! :D it’s really good, right? oh, those sirens, they are creepy! (you better pay attention to them!)

3 lindsay April 16, 2012 at 5:21 am

ahhh so glad you are okay! tornadoes are scary! i have been in lots of close calls. I would totally crave that sandwich. buttery cheese toast! yes!

4 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

thanks, Linds – I’m sure you have, Tx gets some extreme weather for sure. hope you are good, talk to you soon! XO

5 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 16, 2012 at 5:33 am

Yikes, tornadoes are no fun… not that I’d know from personal experience, but I can only imagine what it’s like to experience one. Sandwich looks amazing, love that cheese and salsa combo!

6 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

I know, so far I can’t say I have personal experience either, and that is okay by me!! :D

7 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

Nothing better than a grilled cheeze sandwich, I need to try that Teese sometime on mine. When I made some in Utah, I added tempeh bacon and tomatoes – yum!

Glad the tornadoes didn’t affect you guys!

8 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

mmm, if you used teese on that sandwich, it could be the Triple T. ;)

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

That’s awesome!! =)

10 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 10:26 am
11 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Glad you guys are ok! Scary stuff.

Love the idea of adding salsa – any excuse to spice up a dish!

12 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

salsa goes with just about anything, right?

13 jobo April 16, 2012 at 8:05 am

Drool! I LOVE grilled cheese!!! I am glad you guys are ok!! (love the convo you added hehe)

14 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

thanks, J! isn’t he sweet? :D

15 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 16, 2012 at 8:10 am

Bread + melted cheese = sometimes comfort food is what you need, when you need to take comfort from tornadoes. Eeek!!

16 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

yep – one of these would have been good last night! we had cheesecake instead… ;)

17 Allie April 16, 2012 at 8:22 am

There are tornadoes here all the time–nothing worse than a hail-damaged car once or twice and some regularly downed branches, but its still scary each time! Would be much better if grilled cheese is involved. Some day I’ll find good soy cheese so I can make myself a sandwich! With tomato. Which is like salsa, so I’m sure I’d love one with salsa, too–and great idea for tomato-less seasons!

18 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:42 am

Allie have you tried Teese? it’s a soy based “cheese” and one of my favorites for melting. doesn’t have that weird flavor like the ‘D’ cheese… ;)

soy kaas is one of my favorites, but be careful to look for the ones that actually say vegan, not all of them are!

19 Allie April 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

I haven’t, but I’ve heard lots of good things–they just don’t sell it anywhere around me! I guess I could go Internet, but I’m not a big food-from-the-Internet shopper. They do sell that D one around here though, haha, and NO WAY I’m paying $6 for a small bag of mediocre fake shredded cheese. I think I’ve seen soy kaas at Whole Foods–I’ll give that one a go! I hesitate to try new brands ’cause I’m usually disappointed (and again–why so expensive?), but it’s worth a try if it comes with a good review!

20 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

I really like the soy kaas, I hope you do too! I know, they are SO expensive, but sometimes I have to have my cheese ;)

21 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 16, 2012 at 10:06 am

oh yes, i grew up in tornado alley and was driving home from volleyball one night with 14 twisters in our area! talk about scary…

22 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

Jason grew up in Missouri, and he was driving through a rainstorm after a tornado once, and it was raining FROGS! they get scooped up from the lakes and then they all came back down! :(

23 Rhonda (@diningalone) April 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I grew up in Western PA and saw a couple of tornadoes, fortunately from a distance. I lived in a mobile home growing up and was constantly in fear of being sucked up into a tornado. Now I live in AZ and thankfully we do not have to worry about that.

the sandwich is definitely something I need to make for my husband!

24 Pure2raw twins April 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

totally have to make this for Gary, he would love it!!!
can never go wrong with a good grilled cheese!

25 Tommy April 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

what’s happenin mama, thinkin of you all. be safe XO

26 Tommy April 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

oh and um, YUUUUUM

27 spabettiemom April 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Raining frogs…….interesting….wish the next door neighbors frogs would hop over to our pond…….Yes mom was worried…..thanks for all the updates..I’ll feel better when you guys have touched down at home. Next time I come over we’ll make that sandwich!!!

28 Magic of Spice April 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Tornado, yikes! Hope everything is OK!
This is such a fun idea…looks good :)

29 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Oooooohhhhh I hope you won’t have a tornado on those remaining days! The sandwich looks nice, I love the colors!

30 Grandma Wrinkles April 17, 2012 at 8:45 pm

what??? head, exploded. where DO you come up with it all?

DMW

31 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

The sandwich idea is kind of genius. I actually can’t believe I’ve never heard of a nacho grilled cheese before…
And my favorite part of this whole post: For this sandwich I may have spent another mile on the treadmill, but it was worth every step.

32 elsie rivers November 30, 2014 at 3:28 pm

this is absolutely delicious! i had no salsa at home so i used garlic pasta sauce, and it was still amazing. maybe someday i’ll try it with salsa too :)