salsa cheddar grilled cheese

We have spent the last week in Missouri. We have seen bright sunshine, booming thunderstorms, sideways rains, and currently? A tornado watch for several areas, including BoCoMo (Boone County).

Everyone around me is used to this sort of thing, and therefore calm. While I am comforted by the fact that there is a tornado shelter directly across the street, I really don’t want to have to experience a tornado. I have been in Missouri to hear the monthly siren test, and I don’t really want to hear that ominous sound, either. Creepy indeed.

I could use one of these sandwiches right now – a good distraction.

One thing I cravedย when I could not have it,ย crunchyย buttery toast. Another thing I craved? Tomatoes and cheese. Not having a fresh tomato in the house, I opted for salsa. Hey, it’s close, right?

It’s also good.

salsa cheddar grilled cheese

gluten and dairy free, vegan

2 slices gluten free bread
3-4 slices cheddar cheese (Teese)
2-3 tablespoons salsa of your choice
butter (Earth Balance soy free)ย

Butter both sides of bread. Arrange cheese on one slice, place both pieces of bread side by side on baking sheet, bake at 350 until cheese melts and bread toasts. Remove from oven, spoon salsa over cheese and cover with second slice of bread.

Straight up comfort food, indeed. This is a craving-satisfying combination.

Have you been in a tornado? Do you have extreme weather in your area?

*edited to add last night’s conversation:

Kris: will we hear the sirens if they go off?

Jason: yes, we will hear them.

Kris: okay, goodnight…

Jason: wait, no we won’t hear them – the next time they go off we’ll be back in Portland.

Good Answer. Made me feel better, and probably my mom too, right mom? We are fine!

Comments

That is one yummy grilled cheese. I always put ketchup on mine LOL. Yep, we live in tornado alley – so been through them. I think it’s kind of scary how used to them you can get though. Then you don’t pay attention to the sirens quite like you should.

Heather I add ketchup to mine too!! ๐Ÿ˜€ it’s really good, right? oh, those sirens, they are creepy! (you better pay attention to them!)

ahhh so glad you are okay! tornadoes are scary! i have been in lots of close calls. I would totally crave that sandwich. buttery cheese toast! yes!

thanks, Linds – I’m sure you have, Tx gets some extreme weather for sure. hope you are good, talk to you soon! XO

There are tornadoes here all the time–nothing worse than a hail-damaged car once or twice and some regularly downed branches, but its still scary each time! Would be much better if grilled cheese is involved. Some day I’ll find good soy cheese so I can make myself a sandwich! With tomato. Which is like salsa, so I’m sure I’d love one with salsa, too–and great idea for tomato-less seasons!

Allie have you tried Teese? it’s a soy based “cheese” and one of my favorites for melting. doesn’t have that weird flavor like the ‘D’ cheese… ๐Ÿ˜‰

soy kaas is one of my favorites, but be careful to look for the ones that actually say vegan, not all of them are!

• says

I haven’t, but I’ve heard lots of good things–they just don’t sell it anywhere around me! I guess I could go Internet, but I’m not a big food-from-the-Internet shopper. They do sell that D one around here though, haha, and NO WAY I’m paying $6 for a small bag of mediocre fake shredded cheese. I think I’ve seen soy kaas at Whole Foods–I’ll give that one a go! I hesitate to try new brands ’cause I’m usually disappointed (and again–why so expensive?), but it’s worth a try if it comes with a good review!

I really like the soy kaas, I hope you do too! I know, they are SO expensive, but sometimes I have to have my cheese ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jason grew up in Missouri, and he was driving through a rainstorm after a tornado once, and it was raining FROGS! they get scooped up from the lakes and then they all came back down! :(

I grew up in Western PA and saw a couple of tornadoes, fortunately from a distance. I lived in a mobile home growing up and was constantly in fear of being sucked up into a tornado. Now I live in AZ and thankfully we do not have to worry about that.

the sandwich is definitely something I need to make for my husband!

5. spabettiemom says

Raining frogs…….interesting….wish the next door neighbors frogs would hop over to our pond…….Yes mom was worried…..thanks for all the updates..I’ll feel better when you guys have touched down at home. Next time I come over we’ll make that sandwich!!!

The sandwich idea is kind of genius. I actually can’t believe I’ve never heard of a nacho grilled cheese before…
    And my favorite part of this whole post: For this sandwich I may have spent another mile on the treadmill, but it was worth every step.