Apple Crunch Protein Bites

Apple Crunch Protein Bites – a mildly sweet protein snack to help you power through a workout, a work day, or a random afternoon snack attack. Apple, Vanilla, Maple for the win.

Apple Crunch Protein Bites @spabettie

I recently developed a series of snack recipes for a nutrition company. These Apple Crunch Protein Bites were among the initial list, and I decided to share with you all instead of submitting with the others.

These are super easy and quick to make, and everyone I have shared them with wants more. I have been sharing these with everyone. My dad even likes them, and he is not really a snacker.

The crunch is a great aspect of  this recipe, and turns this protein snack into a good source of energy and fiber.

Apple Crunch Protein Bites @spabettie

Apple Crunch Protein Bites

dairy, egg, soy free, vegan

makes 25-28 teaspoon size bites

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/4 cups crunchy O’s cereal (such as Barbara’s Honest O’s)
1/2 cup dried apple pieces
1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (+ 1 tablespoon for rolling)

INSTRUCTIONS:

In food processor, combine cashews and maple syrup until crumbly. Add cereal and dried apple, continue processing. Add 1/4 cup protein powder, dough should quickly form a ball.

Put the remaining 1 tablespoon protein powder on a small plate. Using a teaspoon scoop for uniform size, roll into balls and roll through protein powder to coat. Store covered in refrigerator.

Apple Crunch Protein Bites @spabettie

I have made three batches of this recipe so far – they are quick to make, easily portable, and are tasty good! I eat a few of these with a juice or smoothie in the morning before going to the gym.

printable recipe:

Apple Crunch Protein Bites
Author:
Recipe type: snack
Serves: 25-28 teaspoon size bites

dairy, egg, soy free, vegan
Ingredients
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1¼ cups crunchy O's cereal (such as Barbara's Honest O's)
  • ½ cup dried apple pieces
  • ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (+ 1 tablespoon for rolling)
Instructions
  1. In food processor, combine cashews and maple syrup until crumbly. Add cereal and dried apple, continue processing. Add ¼ cup protein powder, dough should quickly form a ball.
  2. Put the remaining 1 tablespoon protein powder on a small plate. Using a teaspoon scoop for uniform size, roll into balls and roll through protein powder to coat.
  3. Store covered in refrigerator.

Comments

hmm, would you believe I haven’t had apple jacks??! at least not that I can recall – but these do have an apple cinnamon flavor, and the crunch is nice and light.

they are good, right? I love how light they are, and the flavor was as well (light, not too sweet). I’ll have to look for the almond puffs…

These are the smoothest, most perfectly rolled balls I have ever seen and in blog land, I’ve seen more than one or two. WOW! The texture with the cereal ground, the dried apples, cashews, protein powder, also a truly fabulous, unique, and creative recipe. Not your avg choc chip cookie dough balls :) LOVE THESE!

thank you, Averie!! I was pretty impressed with that aspect as well. 😉 usually I just pull dough and roll, this time using the measure made them all (pretty much) the same size, and rolling them in the powder at the end makes them SMOOOOOOOTH 😀

I didn’t even know protein cereal was a thing! Fancy that. I use a variety of protein powders, and I love a good clif builder bar as the occasional candy-bar-but-not treat. Otherwise, hmm, too many protein products seem to be whey-based (so not vegan).

I know, it’s kinda cool! I love those clif builders, and they ARE a good “candy-bar”. :) yes, many protein products do contain whey – what is YOUR favorite powder? (I always ask this of vegans, I’m always wanting to try anything and everything…) 😀

• says

My favorite for smoothies is Vega Shake & Go Vanilla-Almondilla–it’s a little pricey, but it has great protein content and tastes amazing blended with fruits and greens (has just the right hint of sweet and flavor). My favorite for savory stuff–and the protein powder I use the most–is Manitoba Harvest hemp protein–it’s super-versatile so I can stick a few T in soup, oatmeal, flatbread, etc. It does add a “hemp”y flavor if you add a lot, but I like the taste, or I just don’t add as much if I don’t want it to interfere with whatever I’m making.

good to know, thank you! I have so many proteins right now, so I have told myself I need to use them before buying any more (I MAY have a little problem…) 😉 but I have wanted to try the shake & go… don’t they have a tropical-something flavor? one of these days I’ll try it…

• says

They do have a tropical something, and a chocolate too, I think. I’ve never tried the other flavors–I mostly like the vanilla because the flavors of slightly-sweet-vanilla-mix go so well with whatever else I want to throw into my smoothie. But I bet the tropical would be amazing blended with some extra fruit.

These bites so look like donut holes. Uh oh, donuts are on my mind as of late, aren’t they???
    Hope you had a great Easter, friend! How are things on your end? How is dad? How are YOU? xo

and they sorta almost kinda taste like donuts too? 😉 and thank you – our Easter was nice. Dad is okay, feeling pretty good right now. I am doing GOOD. XXO

Dang these look good! I haven’t tried a protein cereal since the days I could have Go Lean Crunch (which I miss terribly). I normally don’t do cereal with milk for the reason of sogginess. I hate mushy cereal. I normally eat it dry or on my oats for extra texture.

yes, I think that is the one I was thinking of, expecting a “hard” crunch, you know? I haven’t had that in a while. this is processed in a facility where dairy products are present, but the actual ingredients look to be dairy free, I think? I don’t know if that is okay with you or not?

I LOVE dry cereal! I rarely eat oats, but next time I do I will add cereal – I would love that!

I don’t know, do you have any of those ‘low carb’ stores in your area? you could order it here, but I think you’ll get 6 boxes… 😉

I love that Kay’s protein cereal! I love the french vanilla flavor too!

Loving how you created these awesome little bites using them!

Happy Tuesday! <3

happy Tuesday to you, dear!

this was the first flavor I tried, but I hope to try vanilla next! I pretty much love anything vanilla… and could make some pretty awesome bites with it too! 😉 XXO

6. Laura Podrasky says

Not only does the cereal sound great but the snack balls will be great for after school snacks. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Ohh I’m a big fan of cereal but *only* if it’s got a decent protein/fiber boost – otherwise, I’m starving five minutes after I eat it (ok, that’s a lie, it’s 20 mins later, haha). I usually go to fiber one if I’m feeling a cereal boost, but THIS cereal looks even yummier…and so do these bites. Love!

thank you! and yep – I am the same way, need that protein before running / working out. I don’t like to eat a lot before, though, so these little bites are great!

hee hee, thank you Jesica!! thank you for including me in that awesome group, and I have to tell you I am extremely honored, because I just think your site is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL! you are talented in recipe and photo! XO

awww, thank you Lauren!! 😀 and wee, two in one day! I suppose I need to do this then, right? 😉 XO!

These look rad! Tasty and yummy are important. I’m always trying to watch it and recently lost 75 pounds on a high protein, low fat, low sugar diet. These are perfectly portable and if they are delish too…BONUS! I don’t suppose you know what a serving size is and/or how many grams of sugar/protein/fat are in them?

9. Danielle says

I have tried to make this recipe twice and although they taste good, the consistency is not as smooth as yours. They turn out very crumbly an it’s hard to form a ball. Please let me know what I did wrong!!

hi Danielle, sorry you are having trouble with the recipe, I’ll try to figure this out:

are you able to form into a ball at all, or is the consistency too crumbly to stay together? if this is the case, an extra tablespoon of maple syrup (or water) may help bind together.

if they DO actually form a ball but they are just not as smooth as mine, they may need more processing time to reach a “fine” consistency, where the cashews almost form a cashew butter and the cereal is in smaller pieces.

I hope this helps,

Kristina

10. Mara says

Hi, I am loving your blog! My family is “forced vegans”, we are collectively allergic to EVERYTHING (dairy,eggs, nuts, gluten, high levels of citric acid) . Do you think sunflower seeds could be subbed for the cashews in this recipe? I think if I could figure that part out, this would be great for those mornings when we are rushing out to door to school/work!

hi Mara,

I have not tried another nut or seed, but I imagine it could work – since they are so much smaller, you might want to start with less, like, 3/4 cup? work up from there adding more if needed? let me know if you try this, I can add it to the recipe as a substitution!

Thank you for reading and saying hello!

Kristina