rules of the day

in real life wisdom

These are rules for my day today. and possibly my tomorrow.

rule # 1. when a bunch of bad things are happening? don’t ask “what else could possibly go wrong?”

Even if you do not actually ask that question, sometimes you get an answer anyway.

We spent Wednesday in the ER. Only this time it was for me. I am completely healthy, all tests came back fine, but for some reason my blood pressure was above 200 yesterday. With an incredibly bad headache, that scared me enough to go in. They saw me pretty quickly, as they all quickened their step when I told them my readings.

I am fine. I don’t show history of high blood pressure (tests can show long term high, I am good), everything else was fine. They asked if I had any abnormal stress lately. Hmm. They gave me an Rx for Chill Pills and orders to take it easy.

Mother Nature must have thought I may not listen, so she gave us several inches of snow! Message received, loud and clear.

rule #2. for today. relax. take a nap. read a book. go for a walk in the snow.

rule #3. tell the important people just how important they are.

rule #4. eat or drink your veggies.

snow day juice

serves two

8 carrots
5 handfuls spinach
1 inch piece ginger
1 orange
1 apple
3 tomatoes

Juice, pour into glasses, cool in the snow. Enjoy!

Cooled by the snow.

Chill out.

1 Christin@purplebirdblog March 22, 2012 at 10:14 am

Oh honey, I am sending you all the chilled out vibes I can. If anyone deserves a break its you, but I know that isn’t always feasible. That nap, that book, that walk… so necessary to have some down time amidst all the chaos. YOU are important, and I love you dearly! xo

2 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:17 am

thanks, Christin. the thing I bought for you? um… I started using it when I returned home from the ER. 8) oops. I am ordering more for BOTH OF US today… and I promise I’ll get it out to you soon.

YOU take care, too. you are in my thoughts every day.

3 Christin@purplebirdblog March 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

Silly lady, I don’t even care. Or have any idea what you bought me, ha! ;)

Seriously though, I just want YOU to take care of yourself. You are of no service to anyone if you’re not okay! <3 <3 <3

My dad has agreed to go to an assisted living facility for veterans. It's taking a huge load off my mind. He's not stoked about it, but he has finally accepted that it is what is best. He was in the hospital more than he was out last year, and that realization hit him hard. If they won't let him keep his car there is a good chance I'll be buying it from him, and I would have to come get it (!). And even if he doesn't, I'm saving money to make a trip regardless. So one way or another I'll be up in your neck of the woods sooner than later. :)

4 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:13 am

oh, I know you don’t care! :D but you WILL be getting one of these (the fun is in the surprise, although… okay yeah nevermind I’m not saying anything). you will like this, and get GOOD use from it. soon. ;)

happy to hear about your dad – even though he isn’t to into it, at least he’s not resisting and knows it’s for the best.

and knowing you will be in the PacNW soon, girl that is the best news of all! we are out of town mid April for Jason’s dad’s memorial service, other than that I am HERE!! we need to make a meeting happen.

5 Christin@purplebirdblog March 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

Email me with when you’re gone so I can try to work around it. I honestly don’t think I’ll be going quite that soon, but just in case! Hanging with my dad is incredibly important, but our in-person meeting would be the most amazing icing on the incredible cake! :D

6 dorry March 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

oh sweet friend. how appropriate that mother nature brought snow! gives you the best reason to slow down, relax, and just take a breather. I wish I could come over and curl up on your couch with a blanket and read. shit, we wouldn’t read. we’d chat for hours & hours and take a walk with Basil. be kind to yourself and take it easy. cast your cares aside for a little while. you deserve the mental and physical break. love you.

7 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

aw – that would be a PERFECT Dorry Day. <3

it actually began snowing as we drove home from the hospital last night... snowed most of the night and today all is white! definitely a good sign ;)

8 Lisa March 22, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m glad you are okay. And also glad you went to the hospital. High BP and headache? Scary scary stuff. My mind would have been racing of all the possible things it was.

9 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

oh, Lisa, mine WAS. when the doc was making me move my arms and legs and my eyes and all kinds of crazy things, then he said “you are not at risk of a stroke” I cried I was so relieved. All the docs and nurses said it was absolutely appropriate for me to go to the hospital – I was feeling kinda silly (but totally relieved) when they said nothing was going on… well, stress was going on, but you know.

10 Lisa March 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Not silly! Those two things are SERIOUS. And we’re talking a headache like no other–could be a stroke, aneurysm… it’s better to check it out.

11 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I know – my mind went there. and there. and everywhere. pretty sure I made up some stuff that’s not even possible ;) I’m definitely glad I went in.

12 Rachel March 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m glad to hear you are doing better. That rule #1 is difficult for me also. Maybe it we made it an everyday rule, there would be less meltdowns!

13 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:14 am

thank you Rachel… yeah, EVERYONE should follow that rule! :)

14 Rhonda (@diningalone) March 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

How scary! I am glad you are ok, definitely take it easy today.

15 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:14 am

thanks, Rhonda – I most definitely am.

16 jobo March 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

Oh wow. I am so glad that you are ok. But what a scare, I bet. rule#1 is a very good rule to live by…but hard to do. I am glad you slowed it down after and hopefully are chilling out nicely, literally and figuratively! XOXO

17 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

yep, I am doing my best to just do nothing. it’s not really in my nature, I seem to always have to do something ;) I’m on the couch with Basil, he is helping me catch up on blog reading while we listen to music. :)

18 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh girl so scary I am so gad you are ok though And amen on Rule #1. Never never ask that question!

19 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

thanks, Heather – definitely scary, but as soon as all the tests came back telling me I’m healthy, I was 100% relieved, and I bet my bp went down 10 points just then. ;)

20 lindsay March 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

KRIS!! You had me worried. I hope you can get some extra rest tonight. Cuddle up with jason and basil.
xxoo

21 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:20 am

thank you, Linds… don’t worry! I got some great sleep last night, and will repeat tonight! we are having a super chill day. XXO

22 janetha March 22, 2012 at 11:14 am

umm, yikes. glad everything is A-OK, for sure. xo

23 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

24 Allie March 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Oh scary! Glad you’re all good–and are taking it easy! Nothing like a snack and a book to make life juuust right.

25 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

thanks, Allie… I’m definitely following orders and taking it easy. Jason asks every 30 minutes how I am feeling (I think I scared him too…) and is working from home today :)

26 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 22, 2012 at 11:54 am

Oh no! I am so glad you are ok now. I know that with everything going on it’s easy to take care of everyone except YOU, but you have to make the time.

Lots and lots of love to you. xoxo

27 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Laura you are so right… and as much as I SAY it, I haven’t REALLY been doing it – sometimes skipping breakfast to get to Dad’s early, not getting regular workouts, yada yada… but that stops now! yesterday scared me enough to “take some back” as Jason says… I need to plan ME into my day.

thank you as always, Laura, for your lots and lots of love! XO back to YOU!

28 Jennie (the gf-gf) March 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Glad to hear you are okay! Take good care of yourself :-) Those sound like good rules, for sure.
We are still getting a little snow in Seattle too – I’m a little jealous of the east coast bloggers talking about shorts and sandals!

29 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

thank you, Jennie – this weekend was a nice relaxer, I’m doing better.

I KNOW – I’m wanting that East COast weather to head our way! :)

30 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry you had a hospital scare – but glad to hear that you’re doing okay. Great plan of attack – although I’ll add prayer to that list for you.

31 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

oh, Heather, YES. Prayers are definitely on the list. <3

32 Jared March 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Very happy to hear you are doing better — enjoy the juice and take a break! Photos look especially great today :)

33 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

thank you, Jared! here’s to a new week, right? hope yours is a great one!

34 Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) March 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Oh darn, feel better Kristina! And, stay warm while you’re chilling out, that snow gives ME the chills! :)

35 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

thank you, Carrie… and we are staying warm! the snow was nice for a day, it’s warmed up quite a bit! (crazy spring weather!) ;)

36 JL goes Vegan March 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Oh, honey, that is frightful! Sometimes when we’re so busy taking care of, and fretting over, others, our own body collapses. Pay heed, darling, and rest and decompress. It’s good for you and it’s good for the ones you love who you want to support! xo

37 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

thank you, dear friend. I know, I cannot continue to help my Dad if I am down, right? He is so important to me right now, AND I need to give the same level of importance to my own health. I am now. Nice wake up call. :)

38 Tommy March 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

DANG IT, girl, do I have to come out there!?? ;)

39 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

yep. I think you do. STAT!

40 bitt March 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

oh my, what a scare, so glad you are ok. since you’re juicing, add some celery in there. i read it lowers blood pressure. i’ve had mine tested after drinking it and it’s definitely lower. take care, thinking of you.

41 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

oh wow – I will add more! I usually only add one stalk to a full size juice, but will add more now! thank you for that! XXO

42 Shirley @ gfe March 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Sending you big hugs and wellness, dear! Just an FYI, I have never had high blood pressure EXCEPT in two instances. One was from hormone replacement therapy after my hysterectomy. Quickly ditched that. The other time was when taking a homeopathic remedy after being glutened. I had taken it before, but that particular time, I’d taken it a few times in a 24-hour period and it made my blood pressure sky rocket. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally did. There could well be another reason other than the stress you are under. Some of my friends even have their BP skyrocket when they get accidentally glutened. If you think back to all you ingested during the period before the incident, you might figure it out. Food for thought. Love the smoothies!

xoxo to you,
Shirley

43 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:25 am

wow, Shirley thanks for this. I will definitely keep that in mind and watch for it, I had no idea that could happen but it makes sense – it affects people in so many different ways.

here’s to a new week – hope it’s a great one for you! XO

44 meg March 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Yikes! Take care of yourself, high blood pressure is scary stuff! Wishing you well, Meg

45 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

thanks, Meg. I know, I was shocked. and scared. getting back to normal now :)

46 Brooke (Crackers on the Couch) March 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m glad it wasn’t anything serious! That juice looks pretty good, too!

47 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:22 am

thank you, Brooke! me too, oh, ME TOO. I think my bp went down 10 points just hearing it was nothing “major”.

48 Cara March 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Your doctor actually just called me tonight. He said this {verbatim}:
Doctor: Cara, this is very serious. Kris just got from the hospital and I have a favor to ask you.
Me: Not a problem, doc. What do you need?
Doctor: I need you to invited Kris to California for a week’s vacationing of beach going, margarita drinking, sun soaking, and fun having.
Me: Uh, I’m pretty sure that will be an easy one to adhere to.
Doctor: All expenses paid too. It’s on me. Bill me afterwards.
Me: *I hung up too quickly to answer him back*

I’ve got my bathing suit on, tequila in hand, and floaties on my arms. I’m just missing YOU. xoxo!

49 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:21 am

weeeeee! thanks, Doc, that is THE PERFECT PRESCRIPTION!

Basil and I are on our way… at least virtually. mini floaties for Basil.

50 myfudo March 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

We really need to slow down a bit…take a breather. Spend time in the kitchen. Thanks for the recipe!

51 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 23, 2012 at 4:33 am

Oh no! This has just been so much for you to handle. I’m thinking about you and sending so much love your way. Please take some time for yourself to relax. Love you my friend! xoxo

52 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

thank you, Sarena. you have been such a great support and source of smiles, daily. I appreciate you so much! XO

53 Robin March 23, 2012 at 5:43 am

My BP goes down every time I read your blog and see the wonderful pictures of things you’ve created!

Complete strangers way across the US of A! I was home all day yesterday with my oldest who has the flu…we both could have used some “snow day juice” – though it was a record breaking 80 degrees on my side of the states!

Have a blessed day!

54 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:19 am

aw, Robin, this makes me smile SO big! really, thank you! I hope everyone is back to feeling healthy over there, and enjoying the sunshine! have a great week!

55 Kris @Krazy_Kris March 23, 2012 at 5:44 am

Ok – so the energizer bunny goes and goes and goes, but sometimes she needs to stop. Our bodies & mental/emotional strength are AMAZING, but sometimes we’re done.
Those are all VERY good rules – may I borrow them?
xoxoxo

56 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

please do borrow any and all! :) yep – Energizer Bun needed a big recharge and I wasn’t listening.

I am now!

:D

57 Natasha March 23, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hello My Friend…
HOW ARE YOU!????? OMD ( that’s Oh my dog – god spelt backwards)…I jsut got your email – been run off my feet with sick fiance, dog, and interviews…You better rest Missy! and soooooooooooooo freakin’ happy that your care package was delivered! Le sigh…it wasn’t overly “purdilly” wrapped as I was a bit frustrated with go ol’ Canada Post grrrrrrrrr.
I will send you a much longer message via email later – I’m out the door again – but – please know my heart, and thoughts are with you – and of course Papa.
Hugs – and Happy Friday!

58 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

okay, dear friend – it sounds as if YOU need some rest and relaxation as well… please remember to take care of YOU, too… (I know, ironic coming from me right now? easier said than done, for sure).

and just STOP IT about pretty wrap, etcetera… your gifts were PERFECT, arrived at the PERFECT time, and honestly made my day. honestly. you are the best.

sending you hugs and love and Basil sends wags to all of you! XO

59 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Aww, poor thing! What a scary experience to have to go through. Hope you are feeling alright since then and taking good care of yourself with this delicious looking juice! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

60 Jess March 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ohhh please take care of YOU. With everything else going on in your life, it’s no wonder you are having a hard time giving yourself a chance to breathe. Hang in there. xoxox

61 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

thank you SO much, Jess. definitely a big hint to slow down and um, take care of ME. this weekend was all about that. :)

here’s to a new week – have a fantastic one!

62 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

I am SO glad you are OK. And if I had actually become a “juicer” this would be my favorite. Anything with ginger is a winner in my book. :)

Just like YOU are a winner.

63 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

thank you, Sarah Dear. one day, I will make you this juice…

64 Jeanette March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

So glad to hear you are ok, what a scare! Just a reminder to all of us to slow down every once in a while and be still.

65 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

thank you, Jeanette. unfortunately I needed that reminder? I took the hint and relaxed this weekend – I definitely took time to be still. <3

66 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Ohhhh … Abnormal stress, I can imagine! Thinking of you! <3

67 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

68 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty March 24, 2012 at 1:10 am

taking a nap should always be a rule of the day :) it is for me.

69 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

I know – I took one each day this weekend. weird for me, really, but it was SO nice! just might be a new thing. ;)

70 Magic of Spice March 25, 2012 at 11:13 am

I hope you are feeling better and glad you are OK! This is a delightful juice to relax with, snow or not :)

71 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:06 am

thank you SO much, I am getting better. enjoyed juice like this all weekend, and relaxed…

72 Jean | Lemons and Anchovies March 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Good rules to live by and more importantly, glad you’re okay!

73 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

thank you, Jean! here’s to a new week, a GOOD week!

74 Roz@weightingfor50 March 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hi Kris. Just catching up on posts now…omg…how scary for you last week!!!! Hope you are feeling better. Sending big “take care my fellow west coaster” hugs your way. And Basil, take care of Mom!!!

75 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:03 am

thank you, Roz! I got to ‘unwind’ – and spent a lot of time on the couch with Basil :)

76 Tina March 29, 2012 at 6:55 am

such great rules, Kris. I’m thinking of you every day and sending you love and light.

77 spabettie March 29, 2012 at 8:18 am

78 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

okay, good – I’ll email you now. I know the trip is to see your Dad, but if we could manage to meet? YEEEEEE. it would make my year. <3 can I bring Basil? ;)

79 Christin@purplebirdblog March 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Mine too, friend! Especially now that I can’t go to Blend, meeting you would more than make up for that!! <3

And YOU'D BETTER BRING BASIL. ;)

80 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

You can’t go to BLEND?!?!?!?!!

81 Christin@purplebirdblog March 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Unfortunately, no. :( My dad has been sick and I really need to go visit him. I am having some financial difficulties, and since I am having trouble getting the money (and time off of work) to go visit him, I was having a hard time justifying buying a plane ticket for Blend. I’m bummed out but I’ll just have to catch everyone next year.

82 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 24, 2012 at 7:23 am

Hey girl…I know your dad is sick and I can feel you on the financial ‘sitch.’ I really shouldn’t be going either, but I am doing it anyway. I, however, can afford to be selfish right now, and you don’t have that luxury…I wasn’t trying to be insensitive, I just want to see you!!!

Hold down Austin for me. I’m coming back to visit soon. [Of course, not for a little while…the whole “just bought a plane ticket to Colorado that made me overdraw my bank account” thing might prevent that….]