chipotle tofu potato burrito with chipotle mayo

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

I have another lunchtime dish to share with you guys. This is a longtime favorite, one I have been enjoying for years. It takes a little more prep than your typical lunch, but if you plan ahead you can make enough for a few lunches this week.

Once you taste this, you’ll want to.

You’ll want more.

chipotle tofu potato burrito

gluten and dairy free, vegan

makes two large burritos

1-2 chipotle peppers (from canned in adobo)
large handfuls of arugula
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 block extra firm tofu, cubed
2-3 small red or Yukon potatoes, cubed
olive oil for roasting vegetables
2 gluten free wraps (or serve over rice, quinoa – also very good!)
chipotle mayo (recipe follows)

In food processor, puree chipotle peppers, pour over cubed tofu to marinate. Chop onion, bell pepper and potatoes, spread in single layer on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and roast at 350 for 20 minutes, turning at 10. Remove onion and pepper from oven, set aside. Add tofu cubes to baking sheet with potatoes, return to oven for another 10-15 minutes.

build the burrito in layers:

chipotle sauce, arugula, sauteed onion + pepper, roasted tofu, roasted potatoes, more chipotle mayo, more arugula, fold and roll!

chipotle mayo

2-3 chipotle peppers (from canned in adobo)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (vegan)

In food processor, puree chipotle peppers. Combine chipotle puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise (more or less to taste). Double recipe for leftovers – store covered in refrigerator.

Pin It

online gif maker

At this point I place back in oven to warm the whole burrito for a few minutes, for the flavors to combine. These flavors combine well – this is spicy, sweet and savory – it is comfort food for us and we love this.

Jason worked at home one day last week, and I started this an hour before he had a break in meetings. The kitchen smelled fabulous, and we enjoyed a tasty lunch.

What is your recent favorite comfort food?

I hope you try this – please let me know if you do!

Healthy Surprise giveaway winner announced here.

1 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 19, 2012 at 3:35 am

Oh YUM. I wish you had been back in the kitchen at the restaurant I went to yesterday…I bet YOU could have worked some magice on the lackluster tofu I was served.

I obviously ate it anyway…but I would have been much happier eating this. :)

[Ever since Texas, I see the words "chipotle" and I get excited. Considering I also develop random mayo cravings at the oddest times---usually post one-too-many glasses of wine the night before--AND just scored some vegan mayo on sale...maybe I'll try this.]

2 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 8:16 am

Sarah oh Sarah, PLEASE try this. you will LOVE it. I know this. XO

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 19, 2012 at 5:14 am

You’re just killing me with all these fantastic recipes. I really must start making them and not just book marking them all@

4 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 8:11 am

yes, THIS ONE… you need to make this one, you will LOVE it.

5 christina March 19, 2012 at 6:23 am

omg the gif!! how fancy are you right now?! i could definitely get on board with this tofu wrap. looks and sounds amazing.

your comment on my blog today made me SO happy. i really appreciate you being open with me being open (ha) on this eating style thing. you are awesome! xo

6 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 8:10 am

hee hee… I make a gif every now and then, this is the first one that SORTA looks okay ;) you need to try this wrap – you will LOVE.

happy I could make you happy… I’ve seen enough attitude about MY choices, and people just need to lighten up, no need to attack ;)

7 Kalinda March 19, 2012 at 6:40 am

Ahaha, I’ve been talking this week about putting gifs in posts. Nice job.

8 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

great minds… ;) can’t wait to see yours!

9 celo April 8, 2012 at 4:48 am

cannot get over how creative and tasty this has all been lately, chipotle is my favorite to work with and I can already imagine the taste here!

10 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 19, 2012 at 6:56 am

Yum, yum, yum – I am always looking for lunch treats (although I’m not opposed to dinner leftovers either). I like the idea of serving this over quinoa too!!

11 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:57 am

yes, over quinoa this is awesome. I hope you try this, Heather… it is SO good and I want you to have the goodness! :D

12 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

What a gorgeous burrito! Love the green outside, the yummy filling, and your food styling and pics are always gorgeous. If it were me, that burrito would have been everywhere but neatly photographed…lol

13 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:56 am

haa – Averie, you definitely understand that mine WAS all over the place. ;) burritos are not easy! :D

14 Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

Mmmmm…I made a wrap with tofu for lunch just last week, and thought to myself, I NEED to do this more often!! So good!

15 Rachel March 19, 2012 at 7:59 am

Love chipotle anything but this looks amazing. I will be making this.

16 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

That building the burrito photo is the coolest thing ever!

17 Sarah March 19, 2012 at 8:31 am

This looks really good, I might just have to try it.

I’m really curious, what kind of gluten free wraps do you get? I’ve only been able to find rice wraps that are gluten free, and those always seem to break whenever I try rolling them.

18 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:55 am

the gluten free wraps I usually get are either rice or teff as well, or a combination of… my trick is warming them in the microwave* (one at a time) for 30 seconds before I roll them, they become pliable and don’t tear. then they usually STAY in the wrap form, which is nice! trust me, I have many ripped wraps too. :(

*or oven for a couple minutes, or even in a dry pan on the stove top, over medium-low heat.

19 kev April 8, 2012 at 3:18 am

whats the green from? are they homemade? great use of flavor

20 happyzhangbo-lovingfood March 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

Looks so yummy!

21 Jennifer March 19, 2012 at 9:36 am
22 Steve @ the black peppercorn March 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

This looks wonderful. What a great collection of ingredients going into this wrap!

23 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

thanks, Steve, happy you think so!

24 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I don’t understand why they don’t make a candle that smells like roasting vegetables? I would love it if my house always smelled like that. Although I guess I would be hungrier more often…

This looks amazing as always. I definitely would dive into this wrap!

25 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

mmm, grilled vegetables candles, I’d do those! ;)

26 Rhonda March 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

My most recent favorite comfort food is good old spaghetti, I fell back in love with it :)

The burrito looks awesome, I am a huge fan of chipotle mayo on pretty much anything!

27 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:40 am

Mmm, spaghetti, yes! always.

28 trekky March 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

That clip is making salivate! Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

29 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

you are welcome – glad that gif did its job! ;)

30 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/at blog March 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I just want to live on your back porch, so that every time you start cooking I can knock on the door and ask, “what’s new?” :D Lovely, lovely!

31 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

how FUN would that be? well, I’d let you live inside… ;)

32 sippitysup March 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

That is a lot of creativity in one green wrapper. GREG

33 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

thanks, Greg!

34 Brooke (Crackers on the Couch) March 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I could eat the heck out of this. I don’t even like chipotle. But tofu with potatoes inside a spinach wrap needs to happen. Like right now. Except I don’t have any tofu. Or spinach wraps… So maybe tomorrow…

35 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:29 am

oh, Brooke, get thee to a store today! ;) the chipotle is less strong as a mayo, and you could definitely do less with the tofu marinade (or use the chipotle mayo on the tofu too!). hope you like it!

36 Ann March 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This is fantastic! What big, bright, bold flavors! YUM!

37 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:28 am

thank you Ann! it really is good, I hope you try it!

38 Hally April 9, 2012 at 5:57 am

impressive use of flavor and ingredients!

39 Steph March 19, 2012 at 8:02 pm

My school only has Kontos wraps which contain l-cysteine (feathers!) :( I wanna stuff this into a pita though!

40 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

Steph yeah, this filling goes much better with pita (or over salad, quinoa, rice…) than it does with feathers :( I hope you try it! :)

41 Isobelle March 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Woooo! Awesome gif! :)

I love this burrito idea. I still haven’t taken the leap and bought some gf wraps yet, but I do intend to eventually. I’m kind of tired of eyeballing them as I pass them in the grocery store.

42 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:26 am

Isobelle, the trick with gluten free wraps is to warm them in the microwave or oven for a bit, or even in a dry pan on the stove. they soften and can FOLD when warm, otherwise they crack. every single time. ;) I hope you try this filling, it’s really good!

43 Lou March 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Oh YUMMO :) This looks great… I used to make tofu wraps at the cafe I used to run in Melbourne, and I had completely forgot about putting tofu in a wrap until now ! Yay thanks for the reminder, and the recipe to try :) Love the addition of potatoes too, great idea.

44 spabettie March 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

I hope you make this, Lou – it’s a REALLY good one! :D

45 Jared March 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

these look great, and love the gif you made! quick question: can chipotle peppers — in adobo sauce? those are the ones i’ve been able to find (and love in a chili or any soup)

46 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

yes Jared, with adobo is what I used – SO good. actually the only ones I’ve ever seen, too, I think? I’ll edit the recipe to add that. ENJOY!

47 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I love the animation!! I could watch it all day!
I am sitting here showing these photos to my husband and drooling. I will most definitely try them soon AND let you know when I do!

48 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:37 am

yeeessss … make them! you WILL love them! XO

49 Pauline March 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I made these. loved them so much I made a double batch for all of our lunches this week – the kids and the hubs all LOVE it, thanks!

50 Troy March 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

great combo, you really are creative

51 Lora @cakeduchess March 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I try to come up with new tofu dishes my kids will like and I think this is something we will all LOVE…yummyyyyy!!!:)

52 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

oh, please make this!! :D I think everyone would love it. (don’t know how your kids are with spice? maybe try it before you add a bunch of it to the tofu – it can be spicy. or ‘marinate’ the tofu with the chipotle mayo… ) let me know how y’all like them – they are one of our favorites!

53 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Ohh, I love how green it is! And the step-by-step picture instruction! :D

54 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

:D that was a fun photo to do…

55 Kelly March 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm

this is my new favorite, I have never had chipotle peppers before and they are great! thanks for a delicious recipe I will be making for lunch all week!

56 Zara April 9, 2012 at 3:31 am

I made this, cant want to have another. the chipotle is brills!

57 francesca September 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hi! I just found your recipe last week. Absolutely perfect for a chipotleholic. I like how easy the recipe was, and loved your GIF too. Thanks for this – it’s definitely a new favorite.

My little twists on the recipe are up at my own blog: http://www.andthenicooked.com/2012/09/chipotle-tofu-potato-tacos.html

58 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm

ha – chipotleholic, that is what I am!! ;) your tacos sound fantastic!

59 Salix December 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I found your recipe through Gojee. It is a tongue twister! This sounded great to me. My husband made it last week and he isn’t the tofu fan that I am. I LOVED this and will definitely make it again!