vegetable fried rice

Jason just returned from Missouri! While he was away, the kitchen looked like a photography studio slash bakery. All the time. It was kinda fantastic.

On each house tour we go on, I am envisioning how this can be, all the time.

We are seeing one today that has a “breakfast nook” in addition to a normal eating area. Yeah, breakfast nook. Pishaw. That will be photography studio… just like right now, our “dining room” is my photography studio slash prop storage. Plus overflow baking supplies. Sigh. Mom, you need to come help me organize. Or wait a little bit, and maybe just come help me move!Β

One of Jason’s favorite foods is restaurant style Chinese fried rice. In addition to baking each evening while he was gone, I also came up with a fried rice that comes pretty close. I love it, and I think Jason will too.

So, the thing with this recipe? It’s vegan. But it still has that “egg” aspect to it. and it tastes awesome.

This is how it begins. I could eat a whole pan of just this.

vegetable fried rice

egg, gluten and dairy free, vegan

serves 4-6

1 sweet onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and cubed
1 to 1 1/2 cups snap peas, cut in half
1 to 1 1/2 cups mini corn
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance)
2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 box silken tofu
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
4 servings cooked brown rice
vegan / gluten free soy sauce
2-3 green onions, chopped

Chop onion, carrots, snap peas. In large pan or wok over medium heat, melt butter and sesame oil. Saute onion, carrot, snap peas and mini corn until soft. Whisk silken tofu with turmeric, onion powder and splash soy sauce, add to sauteed veggies. Cook several minutes, stirring often, until the liquid consistency cooks off to solid, tofu will cling to veggies. Add cooked rice, stir to combine. Add soy sauce to taste. Garnish with chopped green onion.

Pin It

I cannot wait to make this for Jason.

Do you like Chinese food? Like, American Chinese food? If you like fried rice, I hope you try this!

1. Natasha says

Morning Sunshine!

This looks yuumy…:) How’s your Papa? How are you? You should be getting a pressy any day now!
    We enjoy Chinese – but – we do rice vermicelli (sp?) noodles…we just had some on Saturday…very good.
    I hope your having a wonderful morning!

good MOOOOOORRRNNNING! πŸ˜€ Dad is having a VERY good week! He drove yesterday, which was big, and I think it made him happy (he is extremely independent and active… I know it bugs him to be so inactive…) we begin round 2 of chemo this week, so I’m prepared for what that brings. trying to rest myself and get ready to be there to care!! πŸ˜€ I need to do vermicelli, that sounds very good…

it’s a good morning here, it snowed and where we are, it sticks around. everything is calm and white. serene. sending some serenity and light your way, my dear – hope it’s a good one for you too! XO

• Natasha says

I’m so happy to hear about your Dad Kristina. Keep strong
        After my note to you – my cockatiel Lizzy past of a heart attack in my hands. I was sending an email to Rob at work, and I saw your email…
        My heart is heavy and our baby budgie is already missing her. Thank you for your wishes – I do need them.

Yum! I think baby corn is highly underrated, but I still always forget about it. While I do like Chinese food to some extent, I’m actually pretty lame with my tastes and make a similar rice bowl just about every day to that above. OK. It’s nothing like that above as I can’t have soy and prefer things a bit simpler, but it does have brown rice, chickpeas, veggies, Earth Balance and spices/nooch. Totally counts as kind of similar…

I know you couldn’t do the sauce or the tofu… but YOUR bowl sounds really good. I just love bean + rice bowls. and YES – baby corn for the win! πŸ˜€

awesome, someone else who likes baby corn! πŸ˜€ Jason isn’t a fan… his version will be without! I am having SO much fun looking at the houses, but some of them are funny, the photos look SO different than when you’re actually there. wow. πŸ˜‰

I love everything about this quick recipe (well, except baby corn. I just can’t get into them) and love fried rice at Chinese takeout places. This is better though because you can control what crazy things are going into it!
    My dining room table is a disaster with props, foams boards and dishes everywhere.It’s a good thing we have a breakfast nook in addition and don’t entertain people often!

ha, Gina, you and Jason both – I keep the baby corn out of his food too πŸ˜‰ yes, no msg and I know exactly what went in, fresh and good and still tastes like restaurant style! woo hoo!

hee, glad to hear my dining room isn’t the only one… so you can imagine how that all took over my kitchen when Jason was gone… camera & tripod just sitting in there pretty much the whole week… props and boards leaning against walls… it was FUN! πŸ˜‰

I need to serve this in lettuce wraps! now that Jason is home I’ll be making it again soon, and will do the lettuce. Mmm.

we ate a ton of veggie fried rice in NZ. I think it will continue and definitely with BABY CORN! p.s. I MISSED YOU!. How are things? Cancer free dad!?! Yes!

oh, Linds, welcome home!! I missed you too! things are okay… Dad is definitely still in active chemo (begins again this Thursday…) so no, not free of it, but I am hopeful. He is having a good week this week, after another run to the ER and hospital stay last week :(

anyway – love you, dear friend, happy you are home safe and sound! XO

5. Evelyn says

Looks like a yummy recipe. I have made a variation of this a few times since turning vegetarian. I am wondering why you even need the silken tofu with the veggies before combining with the rice? Just curious. It sounds interesting. Does it give it extra flavor, or nutrients? I typically keep firm tofu at my house and only use silken once in a while for sauces in like a lasagna. Thanks for the tip. I gotta try this soon. :)

hi Evelyn, you absolutely do not need to do the tofu, I added it for not only protein but to replace the egg that is often cooked into restaurant style fried rice. flavoring it with the turmeric and onion powder doesn’t really make it taste like egg, but it does give a nice flavor (and kinda makes it look like egg… not that that matters!). you could also use firm tofu as an “egg scramble” if you wanted. or, just leave it out! :) I hope you do try, and like it!

What a pretty bowl of goodness! I’m definitely intrigued that you still get the “eggy” flavor with it!
    I am NOT a Chinese food fan. We had it all the time when I was growing up. ALL. THE. TIME. My husband always wanted it when we first started dating, but then I introduced him to Vietnamese- which is similar, but seems a lot lighter and healthier. Now if he needs his “Chinese fix” we compromise and go to Viet Gourmet!

well, sorta eggy flavor. it’s a savory flavor, anyway. πŸ˜‰ what WOULD give you an eggy flavor… how do you even DESCRIBE eggy flavor?? (ah, the things we wonder…) πŸ˜€ Vietnamese is definitely healthier and lighter… glad you have a compromise you both like!

7. Evelyn says

LOL- I am so dense. I could have figured that out. I have been making my own fried rice for years at home and I never even add the egg. And since becoming vegetarian, I try to avoid the eggs still. That totally makes sense and clears it up for me. Thank you. I will totally try this!

My photography studio is my living room as well. But it looks like its still not good enough because food gawker never ceases to reject every entry of mine…sigh.

I don’t think I’ve had the most authentic Chinese food on my lifetime. But I love chow mein and dim sum.

Ok, I’ve tried the liquified tofu in the fried rice thing, but it never works for me. It always comes out squishy :( But, since I’ve been craving fried rice for weeks now – WEEKS! – I’m going to give the tofu another shot. And this recipe looks spot on – which means once I’m finished with my week of raw, I’m making some fried friggin’ rice.

Ashlae, this stays liquid for quite a while – several minutes of cooking – then it eventually starts to ‘cling’ to the veggies… so still not really the same as the pieces of egg, but I like it as much or more than firm tofu! :) enjoy your week of raw, then Enjoy Some Fried Friggin’ Rice!!

10. Tassie says

OK – YUM, YUM, YUM…. can’t wait to give this one a try…. I LOVE fried rice. This looks delicious!!

thanks, Tassie – I hope you love it! I love fried rice too, and I think this tastes pretty close… you know, without the msg? πŸ˜‰

11. Andi says

Your recipes look awesome! After years of hit and miss food experiments, we are coming to the conclusion that 3 of my 4 children are gluten intolerant. As someone who is NOT passionate about cooking, this is presenting a big challenge to me. So I appreciate sites like yours – takes most of the ‘thinking’ out of it for me!!
    Do you buy your veggies fresh, or do you ever use frozen? I love the baby corn, but can’t think that I have ever seen it fresh – as a matter of fact, I have to search to find it frozen. I may have to make some trips to a ‘real’ city like Ann Arbor to do some shopping.
    Thanks for your recipes – I’m ready to start cooking!!

hi Andi! thanks for getting in touch! I would say most of my vegetables are fresh, but you are right, I do not think I’ve seen baby corn fresh… I buy them in a can or jar (usually around the same place as the water chestnuts in a can…) :)

you are SO welcome, please let me know how things go!

Cheers, Kristina