reuben rolls with homemade thousand island

in appetizers, Dinner, Happy Hour at Home, recipes

oooh mama.

These are so good.

We needed some comfort food last night. If you follow me on twitter, you may know we are looking for a new house. On a recent home tour, we found it. The perfect one. Well, someone else’s perfect one, as it turns out.

We put an offer in yesterday, and a cash buyer came in with one also. We are still excitedly looking forward to continuing the search, but we were both kinda bummed yesterday. We already pictured ourselves there, you know?

So comfort food it was – an old favorite that honestly, I cannot believe I haven’t shared here yet – reuben rolls.

Sometimes I make these with tempeh, sometimes with beans. Last night’s rolls were made with peeled chickpeas. You may know, I find peeling chickpeas not only necessary, but calming. Therapeutic. Something to do while I think of reasons that house was not perfect of us.

Have you ever cooked with egg roll wraps? I love them, and they are really easy once you get the roll and fold technique:

From top corner photo: Place fillings in lower corner of sheet, fold that corner up over fillings, fold two side corners in, while tucking fillings in, roll up to top corner and seal with water. Repeat:

The other thing that is a must – pan frying these in a tiny bit of oil. The wraps really come out great that way, crispy and light. I have baked them before, and they are tough and … tough. Not crispy crunchy, just hard. A little oil is okay with me, when I get a light crisp crunch.

Once you do that, then you can bake them to reheat, when you have leftovers. Then they are fine.

A traditional reuben includes sauerkraut, which I love but Jason does not. This recipe makes a similar tangy flavor by combining caramelized onions with pickles. It works. We love these.

reuben rolls

makes 12-14 rolls

1 can chickpeas, drained and peeled (or one package tempeh, crumbled)
1/2 cup thousand island dressing (recipe follows)
1/2 sweet onion, caramelized
12 thin slices cheese – cheddar or swiss
2 large dill pickles, chopped
12-14 egg roll wrappers
oil for frying – sunflower or safflower

Mash chickpeas (or tempeh), combine with thousand island dressing, set aside to ‘marinate’ (I made this and refrigerated it while I prepped the remaining ingredients). Caramelize the onion

To assemble rolls: arrange a wrap in a diamond shape (see photo above), place 2 tablespoons thousand island chickpeas in bottom corner. Top with one slice cheese, then layer one tablespoon caramelized onion, one tablespoon chopped pickles. Roll as instructed above, see photo.

Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium heat, add 3-4 rolls at a time, turning frequently so they get an even light brown crunchiness all around. Remove to a drying rack or paper towel. Serve warm with thousand island dressing:

I realize a traditional reuben is dressed with a Russian sauce, but… this is not traditional, is it? Okay, I have always favored thousand island dressing, and always make my “reubens” with it. This is the recipe I have used for years.

How did I first come up with this dressing recipe? I looked at a jar while at the store, then bought ingredients to make my own. Without the potassium sorbate and the disgghheoui – eoui – eoui – eoui. Of course. The flavors come close, I think.

thousand island dressing

gluten, dairy, and egg free, vegan

1/2 cup mayonnaise (vegan)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 dill pickle, finely chopped
1/3 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients and mix well (I used a food processor). Keeps covered in fridge for 2+ weeks (ours does not last longer than that!).

Pin It

Comfort food, indeed. and the house hunt continues!

1 Kelly March 1, 2012 at 5:23 am

WOW! Those look amazing!!!

Sorry about the house. :(

2 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

thanks, Kelly… it’s okay, we’ll find OUR perfect house… until then, more reuben rolls! ;)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 1, 2012 at 5:38 am

O.M.G! Jason would flipping love these! I might add in some sauerkraut too. Yum Yum. And how fun would these be for a party? Good luck on the house hunt, it can be fun but frustrating all at the same time!

4 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I hope you make them, Heather! yep, they are good for parties, trust me.

thanks for the good luck… we are having a lot of fun looking, it’s pretty exciting and we are SO MORE THAN READY. we outgrew this place ages ago (although we will miss the pool… this house we made an offer on, there was room for a POOL TABLE. ;)

5 Ashley F. March 1, 2012 at 6:58 am

Ooooo – Reubens are my favorite and making them into little party size portions is genius! I may have to try these out for my birthday party tomorrow night!

6 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

happy birthday, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope you make these and LOVE them! then it’s almost like I’m there at the party? kinda? :D

7 Ashley F. March 3, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thank you! Yes, it was totally like you were at the party (I made some of your dips)!

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 1, 2012 at 7:01 am

Oh man does this look insanely delicious! I have a serious obsession with thousand island dressing on sandwiches. On salad I think it’s disgusting but there’s nothing better than it on sandwiches. Love this veg version b/c there’s no “weird” ingredients in it. Meaning, I have them all. While I’ve got nothing against the daiya and all the other veg alternatives, I just never have them on hand so this is perfect :)
Good luck on the house thing. I equate houses to husbands…there are a million potential ones out there, you’ll fall in love again. Haha ;)

9 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

GINA I AM SO HAPPY YOU SAID THIS!!

whenever I use a “non vegan” ingredient, I usually get at least one (usually more…) complaint or nasty comment. *sigh* while I do have an almost completely plant based diet, I never claim it and this website definitely does not scream it…

anyway, thank you! and while there are some cheese alternatives I DO like, daiya is not one of them… it is WEIRD flavored. yes, I said WEIRD flavored. I’m going with it. ;)

I HOPE YOU MAKE THIS!! okay, enough yelling at you, gosh.

hee hee, LOVE your house / husband analogy!

10 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 1, 2012 at 7:13 am

Looks like another winner – can’t wait to try this one! Did I tell you I made your buffalo tarts? twice? Once regular size and once as a mini appetizer version for a party. Delicious!!

11 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I’m so happy you like the buffalo tarts, SO SO good! (I love anything buffalo…) oh, Heather PLEASE make these. :D I know you will love them!!

12 Eleah March 1, 2012 at 7:51 am

These look awesome! I have not cooked with egg roll wrappers before.
I peel chickpeas when I make hummus… it make the hummus SO creamy and awesome. My boyfriend really likes it that way, so I can usually enlist him to help.
I can see why it would be therapeutic, I usually do it in a rush and don’t bother letting myself enjoy the moment. It makes the final product extra rewarding, though!

13 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

YES! I am happy to hear someone else thinks peeling chickpeas is important! it makes a big difference, I think, and its worth the time (besides, if you use chickpeas as much as I do, you get pretty fast at it!) :) I just usually find myself kinda zoning out as I pop them out of their skins…

14 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the recipe for thousand island dressing. I could realllllllly do some damage with that. YUM. I love homemade dressings and this sounds perfect, sans too much added salt and no garlic (perfect for me…not a garlic fan)

15 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

garlic would change it from a traditional thousand island flavor, BUT… now you have me wanting to try it!! :D I love garlic…

16 katie March 1, 2012 at 8:43 am

I just want that DRESSING! Do you know, I used to make a sandwich when I was little with ham and thousand island dressing all the time! I loved it, I would eat one every day!

I now will not touch that stuff, but of course a healthier version like this I would try!

Happy Thursday! <3

17 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm

YEEEESSSSS you need to try this if you are a thousand island fiend like me! (sounds like you are…) :D

18 Kris | iheartwellness.com March 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

OMG, I LOVE comfort food like this!! I have never used egg roll wraps, but, HELLO, why haven’t I?? Where do you get them??

Ahhhh thousand island dressing was my FAV growing up, I love this, thank you lovie!!

Sending you loving vibes for your perfect home!!!!

xxoo

19 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Kris you can find egg roll wraps at any store, I’m pretty sure – usually in the cold section, by the produce sometimes, look where the tofu is?? they have wheat in them, unfortunately…

and THANK YOU!! I know we will find our perfect place… I hope it’s soon! :)

20 Richa@HobbyandMore March 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

oooooh i dont know which i like more .. the rolls or the dressing! super cool!
i totally hear u about the house.. when we were looking for a condo 6 yrs back, there were hardly any in the market in our area and the good ones would go pending right under our nose.. gaah. but we did find our place.. which i couldnt picture myself living in, on the first visit.. but it grew on us and after a second visit.. we were sold.. or the house was rather..:) all the best.. and there is a house somewhere waiting for u!

21 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I know, it’s crazy how fast the “good” houses go! this one we put an offer on was only on the market 3 days! we will find it, I know… it may take a while, because we have specific things we want… AND a current house that it will have to measure up to! :D

22 Johnny March 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh my dear friend, those look yumalicious! I am making them soon however, I think I may add some sauerkraut!

23 spabettie March 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

haa, Johnny!! XOXO!! yes, please do add sauerkraut. ;) I sometimes do with MY half…

24 Jillian@whiskeydrinkinchimneysweep.com March 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

This I have to try. I love reubens!

25 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I hope you do… they are really good!

26 janetha March 1, 2012 at 10:50 am

Your photos are so sensational that I felt like I could taste the food. You’re amazing. And so are your recipes. And photos. Oh, and your dog :)

27 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

aw, thanks dear. and Basil says thanks… *wag wag wag*

28 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

These look so awesome! I went through a big vegan reuben phase a little while ago where I was making them almost every day. I marinated tofu in some beet powder and water – I found out that an awesome local veggie restaurant marinates theirs in beet juice but beet powder is a better buy for me. My thousand island dressing recipe is very similar to yours- and I have to say- I end up eating half of it right off the spoon before it hits my sandwich!
Anyway- love the idea of having these egg roll style!

29 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

yeah, thousand island… YUUUUUUM. you need to try these egg roll style! XO

30 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

I want that roll up! You know I love a good finger food night! So much fun. Good luck on the house hunt!

31 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm

yes, these are perfect for one of those finger food, snacky food dinners! :D

32 Wendy March 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

seriously kristina. You continue to amaze me. These look awesome. I love love love vegetarian rubens. can’t wait to make these. I will keep looking for some houses for you I may have found some on my new real estate ap.

33 spabettie March 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

Wendy I have been meaning to let you know we’re back to seriously looking!! I told Jason you were finding all kinds of houses for us before ;) I hope you make these, you will LOVE them – veggie reubens are the best! XO talk to you soon!

34 Kelley March 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

These are seriously creative and look incredible! I want to lick the screen. And the dressing looks so tempting & easy. Yum!

35 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

thank you, Kelley! they are pretty dang tasty…

36 Nichole March 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm

If my husband knew things like this existed I’d be in big trouble. Your man is one lucky guy!!

37 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm

aw… make them for him!! or… just come back to Portland??

38 Tommy March 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Kris it is good to see you EMBRACING CHEESE AGAIN!! xo ;)

39 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm

why, thank you, Tommy. “I never said I was a role model… ” < -- said in my best Natalie Portman voice…

40 Rhonda March 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Good luck on the house hunt!! Those rolls look amazing, but I am sorry you had to enjoy them after such a disappointment.

41 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I know… but it’s okay – it was meant to be and all that… ;)

42 Katie March 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

43 dorry March 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

oh comfort indeed! I love foods that I can dip. so does Billy. this would be a hit with him! I’d make mine with chickpeas and I’m sure he’d enjoy a more traditional one with meat – but I know he’d like the egg roll wrap idea. your pictures are amazing!

44 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm

yeah, Jason might like his with meat also… but he DOES like these too! :D the egg roll is SO tasty, I like them better than the sandwich, I think!!

45 Eden March 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Don’t hate me, but I think the best part of a reuben in the meat.

But who knows, I havent tried your rolls yet so I may be a believer ;)

46 Natasha March 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

Oh boy. Did I ever tell you about “7days to live” food? If it was the end of days – so to speak (non religious here) – and I had access to all of my fave foods…a Rueben Sandwich would be in order….I LOVE THEM! and girl – GIVE ME SAUERKRAUT! (I make my own raw carrot, ginger, cabbage…yum)…
You rock – and hey – Happy Friday – pressy’s enroute FYI.
Muuuuuuah!
Natasha

47 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm

these would definitely make MY list of 7 days to live foods… (I want to see this list of yours!!) :D I like sauerkraut too, and will add it to MINE sometimes, but this pickle – onion thing I came up with for Jason is good too!

no, YOU rock!! XXO

48 Natasha March 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

Oh – sorry for the type -0 – and ya kow what – your dream house is still waiting for you…..the other was not meant to be. True – you’ll see

49 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I must REALLY be out of it today… cannot find the typo? (I’m exhausted!). and I know!! I keep telling myself that, this was NOT our house… thank you!! :D

50 Danielle March 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Mmmm…looks delicious.

51 Hannah-lyz March 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm

haha, I spotted a pack of wraps in the freezer earlier and wondered ..hmm, I wonder what a reuben wrap would be like? Now I stumble upon this recipe! Perfect timing =) I may just have to try this out …

52 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

did you really!?? great minds… ;)

53 Jared March 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Kristina thank you so much for this recipe! My mom is a vegetarian that absolutely loves reubens, and any appetizer that is fried (although who doesn’t?!) and I know she is going to be really impressed with these.

54 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

you are SO welcome, Jared!! I hope she loves them!

55 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oooooooooohhhhh, I have to be honest again. :? I think I couldn’t eat them. Because they’re not vegetable-based. You see, I have purity issues with food. The only pure food (for me) is veggies, fruit, plain protein. One level below is nuts, cooked brown rice, and cooked beans. Still below is a big gap, and then fiinally there are things made of whole-grain flour, dried fruit, and so on. Very very very much below are processed foods and oily and salty or sugary foods. (Salty is still worse than sugary, though.) I know this is strange. It’s quite compulsive, to be honest. But this is how I see the world (of foods). I can only eat the pure or rather pure things (that I can eat the rather pure is an improvement already!), otherwise I feel awkward and turned off. So just that you understand. I could have written, “wheeeeeeeeeeee, awesooooooommee!!!”, and I would have on other blogs, but you know. Friends deserve honesty. So, I’ll happily stay with my plain chicken something and leave all of these for you. :)

56 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm

WHY AM I IN ITALICS ALL OF A SUDDEN?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!!?! 8O *creeps*

57 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} March 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Amazing! Bummer about the house. Your house will come but until then have fun experimenting with more comfort food! ;)

58 Jeri March 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

OH GIRL YOU ARE WONDERFUL. we made these for dinner and I want them again NOW. right now! you have created a delicious monster.

hope you have an excellent weekend, how are you holding up?

59 spabettie March 9, 2012 at 9:57 am

SO glad you like them!! :D and thanks, I am hanging in there. <3

60 janel March 14, 2012 at 6:41 pm

sorry to hear about the house! as a REALTOR I can tell you if its meant to be it will come back on the market, if not, it wasnt meant to be… i just joined pinterest and you are my first person i clicked to follow. your recipes are fantastic! i am so happy !! thank you for sharing….

61 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 7:05 am

hi Janel! I love that you are commenting now, because after a couple more weeks of house hunting, WE GOT ONE YESTERDAY!! our offer was accepted on The Perfect House!! :D yes, I came to realize, as much as I liked that one, for SOME reason it wasn’t meant to be ours. we are both incredibly thrilled with the one we found, it is perfect.

thank you for your enthusiasm about my recipes – I am so happy you found me too! keep in touch and let me know what you like, okay? cheers to you, Kristina

62 Dorinda June 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I can’t wait to make these!! I never really liked the meat (LOL) but reuben flavor is yummy! Kristine your a genius!

63 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

thanks, Dorinda! I know exactly what you mean – I’ve never been a fan of the meat, but I’ve always loved the rest of the flavors. I know you will love these!

64 Grant June 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

thanks for reminding me about these, still need to make them! making a list now!

65 spabettie June 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

let me know how you like them, Grant! enjoy!

66 Hannah July 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I have to make these for my husband, he will freak! he thinks I’m a plant eating freak. ;)

67 Kristina November 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

A friend of mine made these for me and I was absolutely in heaven. These are so delicious, I made her send me the recipe straight away. I’m excited to make these for my family! :)

68 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

hi Kristina! (rare to see another Kristina who spells it with a K, like I do!!) :) this makes me SO HAPPY to hear – we absolutely LOVE these here, and I am glad you do too! enjoy!

69 jdenson sr March 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Been looking on internet to see related rolls, that i have rolling for a long time. My wife is asian, i am a honda auto tech, with big background in food preparation. Parent owned a cattering buisness. I have a simular roll, but also have 13you other’s. My thing is trying to get them out there. I roll available 800today to 1200 a week for friends &team family. Big seller. Tired of rolling. Where do you go for backing, or to get in market place. Thanks in advance joe sr. A.KA HONDAMAN