Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island

Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island

Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island – the classic deli flavors rolled up and pan fried into classic comfort food goodness – soon to be your favorite!

______________________________________________________

oooh mama.

These are so good.

We needed some comfort food last night. If you follow me on twitter, you may know we are looking for a new house. On a recent home tour, we found it. The perfect one. Well, someone else’s perfect one, as it turns out.

We put an offer in yesterday, and a cash buyer came in with one also. We are still excitedly looking forward to continuing the search, but we were both kinda bummed yesterday. We already pictured ourselves there, you know?

So comfort food it was – an old favorite that honestly, I cannot believe I haven’t shared here yet – reuben rolls.

Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island

Sometimes I make these with tempeh, sometimes with beans. Last night’s rolls were made with peeled chickpeas. You may know, I find peeling chickpeas not only necessary, but calming. Therapeutic. Something to do while I think of reasons that house was not perfect of us.

Have you ever cooked with egg roll wraps? I love them, and they are really easy once you get the roll and fold technique:

Egg Roll How To

From top corner photo: Place fillings in lower corner of sheet, fold that corner up over fillings, fold two side corners in, while tucking fillings in, roll up to top corner and seal with water. Repeat:

Egg Roll How To

The other thing that is a must – pan frying these in a tiny bit of oil. The wraps really come out great that way, crispy and light. I have baked them before, and they are tough and … tough. Not crispy crunchy, just hard. A little oil is okay with me, when I get a light crisp crunch.

Once you do that, then you can bake them to reheat, when you have leftovers. Then they are fine.

A traditional reuben includes sauerkraut, which I love but Jason does not. This recipe makes a similar tangy flavor by combining caramelized onions with pickles. It works. We love these.

Reuben Rolls

makes 12-14 rolls

1 can chickpeas, drained and peeled (or one package tempeh, crumbled)
1/2 cup thousand island dressing (recipe follows)
1/2 sweet onion, caramelized
12 thin slices cheese – cheddar or swiss
2 large dill pickles, chopped
12-14 vegan wonton wrappers (Uwajimaya, sometimes Whole Foods)
oil for frying – sunflower or safflower
Β

Mash chickpeas (or tempeh), combine with thousand island dressing, set aside to ‘marinate’ (I made this and refrigerated it while I prepped the remaining ingredients). Caramelize the onion.Β

To assemble rolls: arrange a wrap in a diamond shape (see photo above), place 2 tablespoons thousand island chickpeas in bottom corner. Top with one slice cheese, then layer one tablespoon caramelized onion, one tablespoon chopped pickles. Roll as instructed above, see photo.

Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium heat, add 3-4 rolls at a time, turning frequently so they get an even light brown crunchiness all around. Remove to a drying rack or paper towel. Serve warm with thousand island dressing:

Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island

I realize a traditional reuben is dressed with a Russian sauce, but… this is not traditional, is it? Okay, I have always favored thousand island dressing, and always make my “reubens” with it. This is the recipe I have used for years.

How did I first come up with this dressing recipe? I looked at a jar while at the store, then bought ingredients to make my own. Without the potassium sorbate and the disgghheoui – eoui – eoui – eoui. Of course. The flavors come close, I think.

Homemade Thousand Island

gluten, dairy, and egg free, vegan

1/2 cup mayonnaise (vegan)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 dill pickle, finely chopped
1/3 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugarΒ

Combine all ingredients and mix well (I used a food processor). Keeps covered in fridge for 2+ weeks (ours does not last longer than that!).

Pin It

Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island

Comfort food, indeed. and the house hunt continues!

Comments

thanks, Kelly… it’s okay, we’ll find OUR perfect house… until then, more reuben rolls! πŸ˜‰

I hope you make them, Heather! yep, they are good for parties, trust me.

thanks for the good luck… we are having a lot of fun looking, it’s pretty exciting and we are SO MORE THAN READY. we outgrew this place ages ago (although we will miss the pool… this house we made an offer on, there was room for a POOL TABLE. πŸ˜‰

Ooooo – Reubens are my favorite and making them into little party size portions is genius! I may have to try these out for my birthday party tomorrow night!

happy birthday, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope you make these and LOVE them! then it’s almost like I’m there at the party? kinda? πŸ˜€

Oh man does this look insanely delicious! I have a serious obsession with thousand island dressing on sandwiches. On salad I think it’s disgusting but there’s nothing better than it on sandwiches. Love this veg version b/c there’s no “weird” ingredients in it. Meaning, I have them all. While I’ve got nothing against the daiya and all the other veg alternatives, I just never have them on hand so this is perfect :)
    Good luck on the house thing. I equate houses to husbands…there are a million potential ones out there, you’ll fall in love again. Haha πŸ˜‰

GINA I AM SO HAPPY YOU SAID THIS!!

whenever I use a “non vegan” ingredient, I usually get at least one (usually more…) complaint or nasty comment. *sigh* while I do have an almost completely plant based diet, I never claim it and this website definitely does not scream it…

anyway, thank you! and while there are some cheese alternatives I DO like, daiya is not one of them… it is WEIRD flavored. yes, I said WEIRD flavored. I’m going with it. πŸ˜‰

I HOPE YOU MAKE THIS!! okay, enough yelling at you, gosh.

hee hee, LOVE your house / husband analogy!

I’m so happy you like the buffalo tarts, SO SO good! (I love anything buffalo…) oh, Heather PLEASE make these. πŸ˜€ I know you will love them!!

These look awesome! I have not cooked with egg roll wrappers before.
    I peel chickpeas when I make hummus… it make the hummus SO creamy and awesome. My boyfriend really likes it that way, so I can usually enlist him to help.
    I can see why it would be therapeutic, I usually do it in a rush and don’t bother letting myself enjoy the moment. It makes the final product extra rewarding, though!

YES! I am happy to hear someone else thinks peeling chickpeas is important! it makes a big difference, I think, and its worth the time (besides, if you use chickpeas as much as I do, you get pretty fast at it!) :) I just usually find myself kinda zoning out as I pop them out of their skins…

Thanks for the recipe for thousand island dressing. I could realllllllly do some damage with that. YUM. I love homemade dressings and this sounds perfect, sans too much added salt and no garlic (perfect for me…not a garlic fan)

garlic would change it from a traditional thousand island flavor, BUT… now you have me wanting to try it!! πŸ˜€ I love garlic…

I just want that DRESSING! Do you know, I used to make a sandwich when I was little with ham and thousand island dressing all the time! I loved it, I would eat one every day!

I now will not touch that stuff, but of course a healthier version like this I would try!

Happy Thursday! <3

YEEEESSSSS you need to try this if you are a thousand island fiend like me! (sounds like you are…) πŸ˜€

OMG, I LOVE comfort food like this!! I have never used egg roll wraps, but, HELLO, why haven’t I?? Where do you get them??

Ahhhh thousand island dressing was my FAV growing up, I love this, thank you lovie!!

Sending you loving vibes for your perfect home!!!!

xxoo

Kris you can find egg roll wraps at any store, I’m pretty sure – usually in the cold section, by the produce sometimes, look where the tofu is?? they have wheat in them, unfortunately…

and THANK YOU!! I know we will find our perfect place… I hope it’s soon! :)

oooooh i dont know which i like more .. the rolls or the dressing! super cool!
    i totally hear u about the house.. when we were looking for a condo 6 yrs back, there were hardly any in the market in our area and the good ones would go pending right under our nose.. gaah. but we did find our place.. which i couldnt picture myself living in, on the first visit.. but it grew on us and after a second visit.. we were sold.. or the house was rather..:) all the best.. and there is a house somewhere waiting for u!

I know, it’s crazy how fast the “good” houses go! this one we put an offer on was only on the market 3 days! we will find it, I know… it may take a while, because we have specific things we want… AND a current house that it will have to measure up to! πŸ˜€

8. Johnny says

Oh my dear friend, those look yumalicious! I am making them soon however, I think I may add some sauerkraut!

Your photos are so sensational that I felt like I could taste the food. You’re amazing. And so are your recipes. And photos. Oh, and your dog :)

These look so awesome! I went through a big vegan reuben phase a little while ago where I was making them almost every day. I marinated tofu in some beet powder and water – I found out that an awesome local veggie restaurant marinates theirs in beet juice but beet powder is a better buy for me. My thousand island dressing recipe is very similar to yours- and I have to say- I end up eating half of it right off the spoon before it hits my sandwich!
    Anyway- love the idea of having these egg roll style!

11. Wendy says

seriously kristina. You continue to amaze me. These look awesome. I love love love vegetarian rubens. can’t wait to make these. I will keep looking for some houses for you I may have found some on my new real estate ap.

Wendy I have been meaning to let you know we’re back to seriously looking!! I told Jason you were finding all kinds of houses for us before πŸ˜‰ I hope you make these, you will LOVE them – veggie reubens are the best! XO talk to you soon!

why, thank you, Tommy. “I never said I was a role model… ” < -- said in my best Natalie Portman voice…

oh comfort indeed! I love foods that I can dip. so does Billy. this would be a hit with him! I’d make mine with chickpeas and I’m sure he’d enjoy a more traditional one with meat – but I know he’d like the egg roll wrap idea. your pictures are amazing!

yeah, Jason might like his with meat also… but he DOES like these too! πŸ˜€ the egg roll is SO tasty, I like them better than the sandwich, I think!!

Don’t hate me, but I think the best part of a reuben in the meat.

But who knows, I havent tried your rolls yet so I may be a believer πŸ˜‰

14. Natasha says

Oh boy. Did I ever tell you about “7days to live” food? If it was the end of days – so to speak (non religious here) – and I had access to all of my fave foods…a Rueben Sandwich would be in order….I LOVE THEM! and girl – GIVE ME SAUERKRAUT! (I make my own raw carrot, ginger, cabbage…yum)…
    You rock – and hey – Happy Friday – pressy’s enroute FYI.
    Muuuuuuah!
    Natasha

these would definitely make MY list of 7 days to live foods… (I want to see this list of yours!!) πŸ˜€ I like sauerkraut too, and will add it to MINE sometimes, but this pickle – onion thing I came up with for Jason is good too!

no, YOU rock!! XXO

15. Natasha says

Oh – sorry for the type -0 – and ya kow what – your dream house is still waiting for you…..the other was not meant to be. True – you’ll see

I must REALLY be out of it today… cannot find the typo? (I’m exhausted!). and I know!! I keep telling myself that, this was NOT our house… thank you!! πŸ˜€

16. Hannah-lyz says

haha, I spotted a pack of wraps in the freezer earlier and wondered ..hmm, I wonder what a reuben wrap would be like? Now I stumble upon this recipe! Perfect timing =) I may just have to try this out …

Kristina thank you so much for this recipe! My mom is a vegetarian that absolutely loves reubens, and any appetizer that is fried (although who doesn’t?!) and I know she is going to be really impressed with these.

Oooooooooohhhhh, I have to be honest again. πŸ˜• I think I couldn’t eat them. Because they’re not vegetable-based. You see, I have purity issues with food. The only pure food (for me) is veggies, fruit, plain protein. One level below is nuts, cooked brown rice, and cooked beans. Still below is a big gap, and then fiinally there are things made of whole-grain flour, dried fruit, and so on. Very very very much below are processed foods and oily and salty or sugary foods. (Salty is still worse than sugary, though.) I know this is strange. It’s quite compulsive, to be honest. But this is how I see the world (of foods). I can only eat the pure or rather pure things (that I can eat the rather pure is an improvement already!), otherwise I feel awkward and turned off. So just that you understand. I could have written, “wheeeeeeeeeeee, awesooooooommee!!!”, and I would have on other blogs, but you know. Friends deserve honesty. So, I’ll happily stay with my plain chicken something and leave all of these for you. :)

19. Jeri says

OH GIRL YOU ARE WONDERFUL. we made these for dinner and I want them again NOW. right now! you have created a delicious monster.

hope you have an excellent weekend, how are you holding up?

20. janel says

sorry to hear about the house! as a REALTOR I can tell you if its meant to be it will come back on the market, if not, it wasnt meant to be… i just joined pinterest and you are my first person i clicked to follow. your recipes are fantastic! i am so happy !! thank you for sharing….

hi Janel! I love that you are commenting now, because after a couple more weeks of house hunting, WE GOT ONE YESTERDAY!! our offer was accepted on The Perfect House!! πŸ˜€ yes, I came to realize, as much as I liked that one, for SOME reason it wasn’t meant to be ours. we are both incredibly thrilled with the one we found, it is perfect.

thank you for your enthusiasm about my recipes – I am so happy you found me too! keep in touch and let me know what you like, okay? cheers to you, Kristina

21. Dorinda says

I can’t wait to make these!! I never really liked the meat (LOL) but reuben flavor is yummy! Kristine your a genius!

thanks, Dorinda! I know exactly what you mean – I’ve never been a fan of the meat, but I’ve always loved the rest of the flavors. I know you will love these!

22. Hannah says

I have to make these for my husband, he will freak! he thinks I’m a plant eating freak. πŸ˜‰

23. Kristina says

A friend of mine made these for me and I was absolutely in heaven. These are so delicious, I made her send me the recipe straight away. I’m excited to make these for my family! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Kristina! (rare to see another Kristina who spells it with a K, like I do!!) :) this makes me SO HAPPY to hear – we absolutely LOVE these here, and I am glad you do too! enjoy!

• Kristina Sloggett says

aaah, haa haa. I love it. I apologize, and will make it up to you. someday. when you get to the states we should be Care Package Pals πŸ˜€

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks for the pin, Erin! yes, that pickle combination is my favorite too! my husband is not a sauerkraut fan, so this tasty mixture is something he can enjoy too!

Trackbacks

1. […] Cauliflower Buffalo Wings from An Edible Mosaic38. Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island from Spabettie39. Restaurant Style Salsa from A Cedar Spoon40. MVPeanut Butter Snickers Popcorn from Frugal Foodie […]