Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers – a sweeter, less spicy version of everyone’s favorite party snack, the jalapeno popper. A plant based nacho cheesy bite everyone will enjoy!

__________________________________________________________

Dad had another trip to the ER yesterday morning, and we spent the whole day at the hospital. Well, he also spent the night. More complications, and dad is once again in the hospital. This time he has a room with a beautiful view, so we can see the sunshine.

The ER was hoppin’ on a Monday morning – besides my beloved dad and all the care he was given, I saw someone in handcuffs escorted in by the sheriff, and I also ran over just in time to help a lady who was falling, nearly passing out.

Lots of action, lots of action…

(bonus points if you know what movie that last line is from… hint – Edward Norton.)

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

When Dad was originally diagnosed and I started spending every day with him, I figured I’d not have much extra time for spabettie.

What I wasn’t thinking of is that I love cooking. I love baking.

Lately, creating in my kitchen has provided me an outlet, a way to relax. My kitchen is an area I can (um, usually) control, and right now I’m in there every chance I can get, partly because of that.

So as long as I also give myself time to write and take photos, I will still be spending time here with you all. Which is also very important. So many of you have been so wonderful – beyond wonderful – I received three cards in the mail in the last few days, and that just makes my day. Really, you guys are the best – your emails, phone calls, messages and tweets, they all mean so much.

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Did you all watch the Oscars?

Our ‘party snacks’ for the Academy Awards included these sweet peppers, stuffed with spicy goodness that is oh so close to my Noocho Cheese recipe. It was just Jason, Basil and I, a couch and some blankets.

and these peppers.

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

spicy sweet stuffed peppers

dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12-15 peppers

1 cup raw cashews, soaked
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
12 to 15 sweet peppers

Slice tops from peppers, reserve for decorative ‘hats’. Remove any seeds, ribs – these sweet peppers do not have much. To make filling, begin with soaked cashews – in a food processor, process alone to an almost creamy consistency. Add lemon juice, Tabasco and a couple tablespoons of the water – continue processing until smooth. While processing, add garlic, nutritional yeast, paprika, chili and onion powders, stopping to scrape sides. Add remaining water as needed – end result consistency should be thick. Transfer to piping bag (plastic baggie), cut tip of baggie, fill each pepper. Top with stem hat, optional.

I served these two ways: as is, crunchy cold raw peppers. Second batch was oven grilled at 350 for about 12 minutes. I used our jalapeno pepper roaster with a baking pan underneath.

Pin It

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Peppers

We love these both ways – the cold raw peppers are fresh and crunchy, the baked/grilled peppers are warm and the spicy flavor is intensified.

I am buying another bag of these sweet peppers, and this time, I may just stuff them with goat cheese. I just really, really want some.

I know Dad will love them, too.

Comments

Ahhhhhh – yes – PLEASE spend some time in the kitchen – I KNOW it is soul medicine for you. And life is drawing from your well, so it is important for you to refill said well….
    These look amazing! I’m stunned that you have the patience to do these little beautiful projects – me? well…. ha!
    so thinking of you – handcuffs aside – wishing you some music and a smile.
    xoxoxo
    The Other Kris
    aka the one who writes in hyphens and ellipses….

hello the other kris! 😀 yes, refilling the well is very important, and as you know music does that for me too! thank you for your awesome friendship and support, always XXO

You always have the prettiest peppers!

So so sorry to hear about your dad. And cooking/baking is definitely therapeutic–plus you can share with nurses/employees and become a hospital favorite :) Best of luck to you and your dad, I’m wishing the best for both of you!

yes, I did that last time, bringing goodies for the nurses almost daily… hopefully he won’t be in that long this time…

Oh I am praying for your dad, hope he’s doing ok, and glad he’s got a good view!! that really helps, mentally, I think. And those peppers look delish. I LOVE those little peppers, they are so good! ((hug))

thank you for the prayers, it means a great deal. Dad looks at the television a lot – ha – but the view is nice for me, anyway. and I LOVE these peppers too – I always buy them and they’re never around long enough to stuff!

I’m really hoping your dad will get better soon. I really hope that the cooking outlet is helping you find some peace.

I love your jalapeno roaster by the way. I think an awesome goat cheese stuffing would also include spinach.

thank you so much, Miriam… I just want Dad to get better already! getting into the kitchen (even if it’s when I get home at, like, 8pm!) is very therapeutic right now. yesterday at the hospital I found myself thinking of what I could make last night… it helps.

and OH MY – goat cheese with spinach, I love it! full credit will go to you when I make them… 😉

and piping... I have all kinds of pro piping bags, but unless I'm using a fancy tip for a specific decoration, I LOVE to use plastic baggies. so easy 😉

I literally learned from Emeril last night how to roast a pepper on a gas stove, then you show up. Mind blown. These looks festive and perfect for party popping. Hot, hot, hot stuff!

roasting peppers on a gas stove is awesome fun! I love peeling the black skins off too… (and then you leave a little bit on because that tastes SO good…) 😀

These are beautiful! I just ran out of my bag of peppers from Costco and have a plan to get more this weekend! These need to be included in our finger food nights!

I’m really sorry things are going well with your dad right now. My heart goes out to you. Please know that I do keep you in my prayers! I hope Jason is doing ok right now too. It’s such a hard time for the two of you, but I’m really thankful you have each other (and Basil). xoxo

I hope you try these, Sarena – I think ALL of your boys would love them! :)

and thank you. I really am down today, it’s just so much… one roadblock after another. I just want my dad to get BETTER! :(

I hope things get better for your dad and you all. Cooking is my outlet to calm myself too.
    Love the roasted and filled peppers and the colors help cheer up the dreary cloudy days here in seattle!

crazy. I actually DID NOT see when it happened, but I’ve seen the legs everywhere since – hee hee!! vixen.

XXOXO!!!

8. Tassie says

These look so yummy….. and very appealing to the eye!!!
    BTW…. I thought raw cashews were poisonous?
    Not sure…..

hi Tassie! no, most “raw” cashews you find have actually been processed with heat to remove from the shell, where the toxins are. they call them “raw” because the nut itself has not actually been roasted or processed (although I think it is).

I have been eating the “raw” cashews I get at the store for years, and in pretty high amounts, and have been fine. :) I prefer the “raw” to a roasted, just for flavor.

9. Lynn F says

I want to try this cashew soaking, blended, cheesy dip thing!! It makes me mouth water! ….the pepper roasting will always remind me of the time we painfully ate and thoroughly enjoyed the bbq’d jalapenos!

PS- I’m sorry your dad had to go to the ED again….it can be a action packed place for sure. Everything you saw happens everyday, and more! Believe me!~

you should try this, I think you’d love it, Lynn!! and yeah, I can’t make these EVER without thinking of you!! 😀

Trackbacks