decadent dark chocolate mocha bundt cake

This time, the bundt cake worked.

Back in college when I was cooking and baking a lot, I was also working out 2 hours a day and teaching step class. I had a few recipes that were labeled “low fat” that I made often, and this is one of them. I modified my old recipe as it called for 8 egg whites.

Yep, I used to be a cake eating weight lifter.

Don’t let the “low fat” designation fool you, though – this is the finest ruse in all of baking. It is decadent and rich, moist and fluffy. It is delicious.

decadent chocolate bundt cake

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes one bundt

2 tablespoons chia seeds
3/4 cup water
1/2 box silken tofu, whipped
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 cup sour cream (Tofutti)
2 (2 1/2 ounce) jars baby food prunes
1 box chocolate cake mix (gluten free devils food)
1 (4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup chocolate chips (trader joes dairy free)
powdered sugar, to decorate

Combine chia seeds and water, set aside to gel. Whip tofu until fluffy, add chia gel and continue to whip. In another bowl, combine almond milk, apple cider vinegar and instant coffee. Combine milk and chia/tofu mixtures, sour cream, and prunes. Add cake and pudding mixes, stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared (buttered or sprayed, floured) bundt pan, bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes clean.

Pin It

Cool completely, top with sifted powdered sugar. Optionally, drizzle with melted dark chocolate.

So now you know the ruse includes baby food prunes. Seriously, they are essential to the cake, in the best way. Trust me on this one, this cake is amazing.

Foodβ€˜nFlix

I have been meaning to share this cake with you for a while – and when Deb of Kahakai Kitchen chose My Big Fat Greek Wedding as the Food n Flix this month, I knew what I was going to make before I even re-watched the movie.

In the movie, when the two sets of parents are meeting for the first time, the groom’s mother brings a bundt to dinner. Mama Portokalos didn’t know what it was.

“What is it?”

“Buuunnnn… dt?”

There’s a hole in this cake.

Later when serving it, she presented it with a pot of flowers in the middle.

Come on, you cannot be surprised I did that.

I am having fun participating in food ‘n flix for my second month, and this is a fun movie so I was happy to watch it again!

Growing up next door to a huge Italian family, and being best friends with one of the five kids in that family, I can relate to the movie in this way. In fact, my family, while not as large, is most certainly as loud! We are always talking, laughing, eating… some of the main events in the Portokalos family as well.

I love the sweet father, who really just wants what is best for his daughter. I love the brothers and cousins, not only for being protective of Toula, but for the hilarious “teaching” of Greek phrases to the groom to be.

Sticking to traditions that are important and make sense, while bending the rules on some others seems like a good summation of this fun film, and a good way to approach life in general.

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying new flowers in my kitchen window. and some chocolate cake.

To see a roundup of all Greek Wedding inspirations, visit Kahakai Kitchen in the next couple days.

To participate or host a month with your own movie choice, visitΒ Food β€˜n FlixΒ for more information and to see the upcoming movies.

Comments

Windex! Use Windex!
    Sorry, I just love that part of the movie πŸ˜‰
    And although I can’t eat tofu, your cake looks beautiful. It’s practically a work of art.

oh, I LOVE the windex part… and how he says he woke up the morning of the wedding with a blemish, and it’s gone now because he windexed it! the only reason I used tofu was as part of the egg replacer… you could take that and the chia out and add 8 egg whites?

I love bundt cakes. Chocolate and bundt cakes combined are just beyond heavenly. I mix pureed beans into sweets all the time, so I guess prunes aren’t really all that shocking. :)

One of my all time favorite movies! I love Toula for fighting for the one she loves and how they learn to accept Ian and he learns so accept them. Such an incredible love story and life lesson. Oh and I’m part Greek, so I like seeing that traditional lifestyle even though I’ve never lived any part of it. The cake sounds incredible!

yes, I love that too. and Ian’s parents, oh my. when they’re drinking the ouzo?? too funny. but yeah, true love always makes a good movie πŸ˜€

Being married to a Greek husband with a Greek family, straight off the boat (as they say) I cannot stop hysterically laughing every single time I watch that movie. It is so very true….all of it.
    My favorite line..”oh he’s a vegetarian…I make him lamb” The bundt cake part is my second fave πŸ˜‰

I love the vegetarian part too… I love all of it, big families are SO fun! I bet you have a blast with your in laws!?!? πŸ˜€

gosh, Debra, thank you. with all that is going on in life right now, I seem to be screwing up a lot lately! thanks for pointing that out, certainly not soy free. corrected. :)

LOVE your food styling for this one πŸ˜€ I now want to make a bundt cake just so I can stick a plant in the middle. And so I can have an excuse to watch MBFGW again, saw the movie when it came out and that’s it, but I remember it being really cute.

see?? I knew someone would appreciate that! I could not WAIT to do it, I always thought that part was funny. and now I have new flowers in my kitchen! πŸ˜€ you should watch it again – really worth it, so funny!

funny you should say that – when we had this for dessert the first night, Jason asked for vanilla ice cream. I felt so bad we were out, OOPS.

I love that movie too! “You’re a vegetarian? I’ll make you lamb!”

It’s ironic that you posted this today because I was scouring the internet this morning for information on substituting silken tofu for eggs. I haven’t tried it yet, but was considering it. I found conflicting information. Some sources said it worked great for baking, others say it’s only good when egg is needed for binding but not for leavening. One source said to add 1/4 tsp baking powder with each 1/4 cup of tofu for each egg, and that seemed to make sense. Anyway, I see you are doing silken tofu and chia gel, another egg sub. Any particular reason? Do you find they work well in combination? Thanks!

haa, I love the vegetarian part too – WHAT?? HE NO EAT MEAT?? πŸ˜‰

that is too funny – the tofu was a complete guess on my part. The reason I mixed that with the chia gel is because my original recipe I’ve been making forever had EIGHT egg whites in it… so when it gets that much it is sometimes hard to replicate. The tofu definitely is not the same consistency as whipped egg whites, but I really like a dense cake anyway – so yes, definitely a binder not a leaven-er. (is that a word??) :)

good luck if you try tofu as egg – this was the cake that didn’t turn out the other day and I thought that may be why, but the second time worked, so I hope the other day was just a fluke!

Are. You. Kidding. Me. This is THE most beautiful gf/vegan cake I have EVER seen. Look, I know that I said the guest room is available for you and that I will bake you cookies, yadda yadda, however screw that now. You are moving in and earning your keep by making this cake every damn day. YOU HEAR ME??? <–sorry, I just got angry. I think this cake has the same effect on me the way the green slime does on Ghostbusters 2… :)

sounds like a plan to me!! and can we watch Game Show Network all the time, too?? well, except for WHEEL each night at 7… πŸ˜‰

8. Natasha says

Hey that reminds me – I need to bleach my moustache…Kristina – you rock girl. I saw this opening night in LA…I LMAO! I lived this movie. Being from Toronto, and growing up in such a melting pot of greeks, italians etc.. – this was the life for many of my friends, and – still is! Love it.
    I’m gonna make this! Smile little chicken..and have a good night sleep.
    Natasha
    ps – “Your Vegetarian – Okay! I make you Lamb!”

aw, your notes to me always make me smile – in fact, I get that smile even before I’ve read them, when I see your name in my inbox or your photo here. (do I tell you this every time!!???) πŸ˜€

I love that you know the movie so well, it’s a good one to have lived, I think! and YES, I LOVE the vegetarian thing – WHAT?? HE NO EAT MEAT??

I hope you are doing awesome, my friend… I had a very very long day, and it’s one of those times where I cannot WAIT to lay my head on the pillow. Basil is right there with me, we’re about to go… XXO!

9. Krystyna says

I too used to be a cake eating weight lifter! I never taught any step classes, but did start taking personal trainer certification. Never completed it though, unfortunately.

I’d make a dozen low fat mini cupcakes, eat them all, then go do a bootcamp class followed by a cardio kickboxing class. Hah

ha – you like that? πŸ˜‰ I contemplated my certification way back then, but was playing too much tennis to give it any time. your schedule sounds like mine did – I’d start with a homemade bagel or doughnut! πŸ˜‰

The cake is gorgeous–I am definitely going to have to try it. I am so glad it worked out this time. Thanks again for joining in Food ‘n Flix for this month! I had a blast hosting and the leap day round up will likely be up by the time you read this.

Aloha,

Deb

thank YOU for hosting and picking such a fun movie – I really had fun with this one! I hope the cake works for you the FIRST time πŸ˜‰ (I have already made it again, using a regular sheet cake pan and it worked great! :)

What a great recipe choice from the movie! I love that you couldn’t resist adding the flowers! Welcome to Food n Flix! I hope you’re having fun with us!

12. Monica says

I just had to tell you, the first time I made this, mine broke apart coming out of the bundt too! I think I did the milk mixture wrong. The second time I slowed down, followed exactly, and this cake came out perfect. moist and perfectly crumbed, tastes amazing!

now all I need is to know what you did with the first cake, lol!

I’ve been using tofu more in desserts, but have yet to add it to a cake… as I was reading the ingredients, the thought occurred to me, “what ‘firmness’ of tofu do you use for cakes?” I tend to always just grab the ‘extra firm’ out of habit really. But with whipping it, I wondered if you used a less firm block? I know, this might be way random, but I thought I’d ask before I go buy it so I can make this cake.
    Oh, and I AM a cake eating weight lifter, currently, present day. And I’m proud of it πŸ˜‰

not random at all, Julia! but I used silken tofu for this recipe, and I believe it does not come in different firmness as a standard tofu does – it is a whole different consistency (and easy to whip!). You will find it in the same area as other tofu, it’s in a carton type box, a bit smaller than the others.

cake eating weightlifters unite! I hope you love this cake!

14. Hally says

I promise I am not stalking (Kansas newspaper)

your recipes all look so good, my bookmarks are filling up.

I really have only seen that movie maybe 2 or 3 times actually. I sometimes wish I got into movies a bit more. I always love it when you have a recipe with a story like this though. I guess you typically do though and I think that’s what makes your recipes so special. I might not like chocolate, but the meaning behind the cake changes everything.