so that happened

Things do not always go smoothly in my corner of the culinary world.

What follows is an honest account of what happened yesterday. All in one day. I couldn’t make this up.

First, I needed avocados for dinner. That’s all – I had just gone to the store. I was going to run up quickly just for avocados, no big deal. I really wanted the avocados.Β Before I left the house, I checked all my lists (yeah, I have several) for anything else I needed, you know, since I was going. I made a list of about five things?

Five things turned into three bags of groceries. and a dark chocolate mocha from my friend Peet.

As I was driving away, I realized I forgot the avocados.

Later, making pasta for dinner, this happened.

Pouring the box of pasta into the boiling pot of water, I somehow missed. The pasta went everywhere, including into the burners. Those pastas started a fire. With two other active burners cooking, I somehow put the fire out.

Now mom tells meΒ that blowing on it will only make it worse.

When I finally cleaned up and got the water boiling again, I was able to connect the pasta (a second box) to the pot. I walked away to continue chopping veggies, forgetting to stir pasta. That pasta did not get stirred once.

Third time’s a charm with pasta, right?

When I finally got the pasta cooked and in single pieces, I took it to the sink to drain. I have this great faucet that swivels all Β the way out of the way, so there it goes. I was still frazzled I suppose, because as I was juggling the (large) pot and the strainer insert, I turned on the cold water to mix with the hot that is going down the drain. Yeah, are you already picturing this? The water is going all over my counters. and the floor.

Dachshund comes running.

Last, and perhaps most heartbreaking, this happened:

A cake I have made approximately 8927 times flawlessly, turned out like this. I have no idea why.

Dachshund comes running.

…I went back for those darn avocados. and they were good.

My kitchen still smells like burning.

I have NO idea how the pasta happened – I am forgetful always but not usually clumsy?? and then the fire, GEEZ! πŸ˜€

I hate to say it, but that happens to me more often than not! I can’t tell you how many times I go to the store for ONE THING and leave with 10 items and NOT the item I needed. I’m usually driving home and shouting “GODDAMMIT!” in the car. :)

Um, I love this post more than you can imagine. Your food is always gorgeous and I imagine you cooking it and taking photos in a stunning, ironed apron, your hair perfectly done, and you’re wearing just a touch of lipstick. Please tell me you were wearing sweatpants when this happened, okay?

HA! honestly YES, I was wearing my yoga pants and a t shirt with a hole in the sleeve πŸ˜‰ you are so funny – your image of what happens here is so far from it – my aprons are never ironed (and rarely worn!), my hair is almost always up in a bun (probably from my workout earlier that day, ahem…). but I may be wearing lipstick. πŸ˜‰

so happy I could give you a real look into what happens around here, JL. XO!

I can so relate – yesterdays dinner was pretty much a disaster – resulting in a huge mess ending with me knocking over nutritional yeast, the drawers and cabinets still have the mess in them – then as I made muffins the glass container that held the flour spontaneously broke on the side – still praying there is no glass in the flour that went into the muffins – luckily the muffins rock – the dinner was 75% edible and the kitchen will get cleaned – one day

haaa… yeah, the kitchen will get cleaned. I had to clean the stove immediately because I was afraid of more FIRE, but … I am still finding random noodles around. and cake crumbs. πŸ˜€

aw, i love this. i’m sorry all that happened, but sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh, bc it’s life, right? this stuff happens to me all the time. kinda makes me giggle :)

it was a small fire, but a fire nonetheless. craziness – I am really off my game these days. shouldn’t even BE around a flame, probably πŸ˜‰

5. Amy Petersen says

I think there’s something wrong with me..cause that cake still looks delicious! I would’ve been licking the crumbs off of the counter! :)

I hope today is better!

ha, Amy – nothing wrong with you, it IS still good… it’s in the fridge, where I snag a piece each time I walk by… πŸ˜‰

Oh my gosh! Wow, you deserve a medal for making it to the end of that day.

My craziest kitchen moment was when the light on my kitchen ceiling decided to spontaneously fall and crash on the floor, breaking everywhere, glass all over me. Awesome. Could’ve been worse, though; had I been standing one foot to the left, it would’ve come down on my head!

oh my STARS sounds like you were pretty lucky… and with a big mess to clean up. I must be off my game, need more sleep or something! πŸ˜‰

oh man!! I probably would have given up after the water incident πŸ˜‰ Hope today is better and for the record, that cake still looks delish!

yeah, the cake IS still good! this morning I dropped the plastic lid to my almond milk into a live burner, so… something is still awry! I just had to laugh though. craziness. happy Friday to you, sweetie!

haa haa, Andrea if that happens now I am blaming you!! πŸ˜€ and yep, the cake is awesome. it’s in the fridge, waiting to be a trifle or cake pops or… just eaten every time I pass the fridge. πŸ˜‰

Definitely have days like this. Just the other night I was stirring pasta sauce and for no reason at all my brain just decided that it was no longer important to hold onto the spoon and I ended up flinging sauce everywhere in my efforts to regain control of it.

Oh man…… hate those days. Glad you went back for your avocados though. If I was there I would’ve helped you clean up (and get rid of that cake). :) Hope the weekend treats you better.

oooh, Mama dear, I wish you WERE here to laugh with. I’d feed you cake and not let you help. then I’d feed you pasta, if I could ever get it cooked…

I hope this weekend finds you feeling better… XXO!

HAHA oh girl, you had one of *those* days, didn’t you? Ack! Well, at least it gave us all a good chuckle, commiserating on our own personal kitchen nightmare stories :) I am so happy that you went back to the store for the avocado–I think you forgetting them the first time around was the worst part of the story. I gasped.

heh. I’m totally off my game. this morning I dropped the plastic cap from my almond milk into the same hot burner. mmm, melty plastic in the morning.

I DO hope my kitchen mojo returns soon… πŸ˜‰ and YEAH, the avocado IS the worst part of it all – I cannot be without my avocado! πŸ˜€

This is pretty much every day of my life, haha! I swear I am mindless a lot more lately, and it makes me crazy! I KNOW that cake was still damn good though! I would of taken it from you ; )

Happy Weekend! Sending LOVE!

Hah! That is just the dumbest feeling, when you forget the ONE thing you went to the store for in the first place! Happened to me recently trying to buy split peas.

A fire on our stove (still not sure what happened since the Mr was manning the stove) prompted us to get a fire extinguisher. Good to have on hand!

πŸ˜€ thank you, Kristy Lynn! it was just so crazy, all happening in the same day! good to know it happens to others! XXO