date filled butter cookie

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Gosh I miss you guys. Yes, you. and you. You too. All of you.

I am hoping to have a bit more of a normal schedule soon, but right now I am absolutely happy to be able to do what I am doing. Helping my dad, taking care of things for him right now, making sure he has everything he wants and needs, I cannot imagine it any other way. This is my Most Important Thing right now.

Thank you all again for your continued thoughts, prayers, support and messages. All of it makes me smile, makes my day, and is truly appreciated. So many of you ask about his progress – he has completed his first round of chemo and is feeling GOOD now that it is done. Routine doctor appointments and one 3am emergency trip to the ER have been the routine this week (well, I’m hoping the ER visits are not routine!) and things are getting back into a groove. My nursing skills are pretty dang efficient at this point, and time and again I am shown I keep calm under pressure and during big events, which is one of those things you never really know until it is put to the test.

I’m doing pretty good.

I deserve a cookie.

I know I often say ‘this recipe is my favorite’ or “make this today, please”! This time, really, I mean it. I meant it all the other times too… but this one, really. I love this cookie. Jason loves this cookie. All the CICU nurses at Providence Portland love this cookie (and not just because they enjoyed three batches of them).

date filled butter cookies

makes 20-24 cookies

gluten, dairy, egg and soy free, vegan

1 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 cups flour (gluten free ap)
1/4 cup milk (vanilla almond)

Cream together butter, sugar and water. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding milk by the tablespoon as necessary. Combine until dough forms, do not over mix. Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 10 minutes. Forming cookies: first, roll one inch pieces of dough into ball, second, flatten and fill with date paste, third, pinch four sides together into a square.

Place on prepared baking sheet, bake at 300 for 25 minutes.

date paste

1 pound Medjool dates, pitted
1 cup water
zest of 1 small lemon

In saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients, stirring/mashing until dates break down to paste consistency and water is absorbed. Cool completely before filling cookies.

Make this cookie. For me? For you.

1 Julia February 22, 2012 at 5:14 am

I’m *almost* speechless. I’ve been on a HUGE date kick, and butter cookies are one of my favorites. So this cookie, it’s basically amazing! Ok fine, I’ll make it, twist my arm why don’t you.

I bet your dad is so thankful you are there for him! Shoot, Im glad you’e able to be there for him!

2 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:27 am

PLEASE do. let me know how much you love them? ;) (I hope you do…)

thanks, Julia… I am SO thankful I am able to be there for him too… :)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 22, 2012 at 5:15 am

While the cookie looks amazing (as always), thank you for the update. Still thinking of you and your family.

4 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:25 am

and that means SO much, Heather, thank you!

5 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 22, 2012 at 5:22 am

I miss you, too! My thoughts are with you and your dad…and on how delicious these must be. :)

6 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:25 am

I wish I could share one with you now, Sarah! you are one that I think of the scarecrow and say “I miss you most of all…” ;)

7 Tiff February 22, 2012 at 5:42 am

Did someone say “butter???” ;)

8 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 6:32 am

indeed… ;)

9 Shannon Roche February 22, 2012 at 5:52 am

This looks like hamentashen with an extra corner. Which means more feeling, which means you can count me in!

10 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 6:31 am

THANK YOU!! I could NOT remember the name, this was my own version and wasn’t following a recipe, but I couldn’t find the original for anything! :D

11 Naomi February 22, 2012 at 6:19 am

wow, these look fantastic, kris. easy recipe that I know tastes great! xo ~n

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 22, 2012 at 7:10 am

These sort of remind me of a fig newton! But probably way more tasty :) Glad to hear you’re hanging in there and your dad is doing as well as can be!

13 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:24 am

thanks, Gina… he is an easy going patient much of the time, which is nice.

it’s funny you say that, because one of the first recipes I ever wrote (and resides in the Saks Fifth Avenue employee cookbook!) was for a fig newton, and this recipe is based on that, with dates instead! :D

14 Cara February 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

I MISS YOU!!! xo
Thank you for the update. It’s great to hear that your daddy-boo is making progress {not to mention that is because he has THE best nurse in the world!} In the meantime, wishing you the most peaceful Lenten season ever!

Sending you tons of GS cookies too :)

15 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 9:48 am

what do those GD cookies go for now, like, $5 a box probably? I’ll totally send you several $5 bills for some of each flavor you’re making… ;)

and thank you, sweet sweet friend. GAAH, I MISS YOU AND OUR CHATS SO MUCH!! we’ll get back to them, I promise. I hope you are doing well… the month is coming to an end SOON, yes?? makes for one happy Cara, I know XXO

16 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 9:49 am

haa HAAAA… instead of GS cookie I inadvertently said “gd”. ha! THOSE cookies, not yours ;) I would never curse yours. unless they were just SO GD good…

17 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

Oh wow – another one I HAVE to try – I love dates. I love a lot of foods (if you haven’t noticed), but dates are such a sweet natural treat. Happy to be pinning another one of your delicious recipes today! :)

18 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

ha… I love a lot of foods too, my dear! we’d get along just fine… I hope you DO make these, a much simpler recipe than my brownie fudge *D’OH* :D

19 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

WOW! I will be making these! I can already taste them :) I love the simplicity of the ingredients, too.

Hope your Dad gets better soon <3 *hug*

20 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

thanks, Char… he has good and bad days, but he’s always smiling. gotta love that! :) yes, this is a simple, good recipe… really good flavors sometimes come from that simplicity…

21 Pure2raw twins February 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

yum! I would love for you to come and take care of us any day :) Your dad is a really lucky man!!! Hugs to you both and thinking of you!
xoxo

22 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm

it’s a deal – we’d have some good fun, I’m pretty sure! :D

23 Allie February 22, 2012 at 11:57 am

You most certainly deserve a cookie! Or maybe an entire batch. These sound delish! Can’t go wrong with dates. Or cookies. So combined? Sounds like pure gold to me.

24 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm

thanks, Allie – it is so nice to see your smiling face here, makes ME smile! :D these cookies really are pretty dang good, just kind of melt, you know?

25 Allie February 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Aw, glad it does! And mmm, melty cookies? Just when I thought these couldn’t sound better…

26 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm

So glad to hear your dad is doing well, under the circumstances…and that so are you.

Hang in there…and these look fabulous. The filling looks like something I could just eat by the spoonful!

27 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm

thank you Averie!!

yeah… um, I’m pretty sure I ate BOTH the filling by the spoon and the dough… by… the raw piece of dough. Mmm.

28 Shirley @ gfe February 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

So happy you are able to be there for your dad, Kristina. Thanks so much for the update. Keeping your dad, you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers daily!

These cookies look fabulous. I’m glad you are squeezing in some time to bake here and there, not for us (although it’s much appreciated), but because I know how therapeutic baking can be for those of us who love to bake. ;-)

xoxo,
Shirley

29 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 5:27 pm

thank you SO much, Shirley! it is so nice that people are thinking of us, and keep asking how he is, how we are… so I’m happy to update everyone – after all, it’s YOU that keeps ME going and keeps me smiling!

yes, I am able to cook and bake… and it’s like a big sigh of relief when I can get in the kitchen and ‘play’… sometimes it’s late at night, but when I need to, I need to! :D

30 dorry February 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

love to read this! I know things have been incredibly challenging, but you seem to be focusing on the positive and doing an amazing job taking care of your dad…and spending the rest of the time making delicious things in your kitchen! I love dates – so naturally sweet and scrumptious. another amazing recipe!

31 spabettie February 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

I know you would love these cookies, Dorry!

I am really trying to stay positive and upbeat… some days it is very much a conscious effort, but when I see Dad smiling at me, it is easy! :D

32 Lynn F February 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thinking of all of you as well Kris…You definitely deserve more than a cookie! It’s great to hear that people still take care of the caregivers, i.e the nurses and docs, and treat them good as well. It’s to everyone’s advantage to keep them happy! Take care!

33 spabettie February 23, 2012 at 9:58 am

yes, Lynn I know you have first hand knowledge of how hard the nurses and docs and everyone behind the scenes work! I know people are focused on their loved one, and often don’t think about the people giving them care. When we were visiting Dad in the hospital day after day, I was so thankful that EVERYONE was so nice, and taking such good care of him. I even brought cookies to the valet parking guys – I was SO thankful for valet parking every day! :)

34 Lana February 23, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love dates! I eat them just like that most of the time, but this looks delicious and kinda cute too.

Anyway, like lynn says, you definitely deserve more then a cookie…. ! I hope your dad will get better soon.

Love,
Lana

35 spabettie February 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

hi Lana! I am always eating dates as is, or dipped into the almond butter jar – ha! thank you for your sweet message – Dad is strong, he will get through this! :)

36 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Haha, and another one that’s not for me! Because I’m not fond of dates either. (Yes, call me picky. Some foods I can’t eat, others I don’t like, and so I’m living on my little chicken, veggie, and almond milk island and lalala … Okay, I’m not *that* bad. ;))

37 spabettie February 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

this one I may have to take offense to, on behalf of THE DATES. :D

is it a texture thing? they are so sweet and delicious…

38 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Both texture and taste. They’re too sweet and too sticky. I actually don’t like any dried fruit very much.

39 Sasha February 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, yours sure came out prettier than mine!! Haha. Mine are like lumpy cookie dough dumplings. I took half the dough and rolled them in cinnamon sugar to make snickerdoodles. They’re in the oven now!

40 spabettie February 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Mmm, snickerdoodles, great idea!! I am so excited by this recipe because you CAN do so much with it! :)

41 Ellen (Gluten Free Diva) February 29, 2012 at 5:56 am

Yes, these look just like hamentaschen, with an extra corner. My best to you and your family – I’m new to your blog, but hope that with whatever your dad has gone through, he’s on the mend.

42 spabettie February 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

leave it to me to add an extra ;) I couldn’t remember the name hamentaschen when I was making these – glad people recognize them! (don’t know if the recipe is similar or not, I’ll have to look them up now…) and thank you, Ellen, your kind words are appreciated. Dad is currently receiving chemo treatment, and has had some complications lately too… he is strong and incredibly positive, so I have great hope! Thank you!

43 Matt and Mark March 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

for our seven day juicing REWARD, we are making these! XOXO

44 Chandra April 2, 2012 at 12:37 am

these sound very good, thank you for sharing