blossoming lotus

this Valentines, Jason and I celebrated at one of my favorite places, Blossoming Lotus. they had a special Valentines menu, with two options for each course. as we normally do, we each chose one and shared.

we had a cheers with cocktails. mine:

White October – vanilla infused vodka, Averna, Cafe Lolita, coconut milk, ginger sugar, maple syrup – served up

this was amazing. mildly sweet, strong coffee and maple flavors. deliciously warming.
I had two.

Wintry Mix Manhattan – Bulleit rye, cinnamon-ginger infused Vya vermouth, orange bitters, barrel-aged bitters

Jason loved hisย Manhattanย – enough that he talked about recreating his own version at home.ย sounds like someone I know…

the amuse:

Seasonal marinated and pickled vegetables

we each had our favorites with this plate – I loved the cauliflower, radish and the chili seasoned carrots! Jason liked the green beans and the beets.

the salad course:

wild arugula salad with preserved Meyer lemon and za’atar vinaigrette, roasted red and gold beets, pear

the arugula was deliciously nutty and spicy, and the pear was an inventive addition. we both loved this.

winter citrus salad with shaved fennel and basil, pomegranate, white balsamic

you know I love my vibrant colors in food – visually, this was my favorite of the evening. the bright flavors and the basil earned a place as my favorites in taste as well.

marinated king trumpet mushroom nigiri with parsnip rice, collard green maki roll with cucumber and avocado, salad of kale and wakame, burdock-carrot kinpira, pickled ginger

almost every visit to Blossoming Lotus includes me enjoying their collard rolls, or taking an order to go. I was very happy to see they made a roll for one of the choices – Jason and I both loved this course. I could eat these every day.

cornmeal and herb encrusted portobello, garlic chive mashed potatoes, braised chard, red wine demi glace

straight up comfort food.

I’m not even hungry right now and thinking of this plate just made my stomach growl and my mouth water… I could so eat this right now (yeah, it’s 4:38 in the morning…)

the portobello was perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. a bite of portobello with a pouf of mashed potato blanketed in chard and dunked into the glorious demi glace…
I think that would satisfy any omnivore. completely.

raw chocolate torte with cashew crust and banana sorbet

this was gorgeously smooth and perfect. the banana sorbet (with shreds of mango!) was a wonderful light pairing to the rich chocolate.

deliriously decadent.

Meyer lemon polenta cake, cara cara orange curd, almond lace cookie

as much as I loved the chocolate, I loved this one just as much if not more. I love a polenta cake that is very mildly sweet, and the orange curd was bright and beautiful,
tart and sweet.

I loved sharing both of these desserts with my Valentine.

…and if that was not enough, there were surprise truffles at the end. three flavors, two of each, one eaten with a perfect cup of coffee, two enjoyed on the way home.

we were both happy with our Valentines choice of Blossoming Lotus. After an uncharacteristic and slightly weird start (the door was locked until seating time, when we were asked to enter single file for our seating assignments), my favorite Portland gem quickly recovered and we were delighted by course after delectable course. We had some great conversation with the very talented and informed mixologist, talking cocktails, coffee and bitters (we will return in the spring for the rhubarb bitters!).

Blossoming Lotus on Urbanspoon

Comments

“fabulously unique” aw… sorry… I know, I feel INCREDIBLY lucky to live in an area with some fantastic options – so many vegan too. <3

yes, I believe I have! it’s one of my favorites, I go for lunch quite often… ๐Ÿ˜‰ thank you for your continued thoughts, dear! XXO

Ew- screw people talking about you and rolling their eyes because you were taking photos! So what! I’m glad you included everything because the whole meal looks incredible.
    I NEED to replicate that cornmeal-crusted portobella. I just bought some large portabella caps yesterday- I must have had a hunch!
    Oh- and your drinks are totally what me (yours) and my hubby would have (your husband’s). Yours sounds soooo gooooood.

haa… well I am normally very sensitive to disturbing anyone with my camera… I always call ahead to the restaurant, so if they say it’s a go I bring it! but I always bring my little Nikon D40 instead of my great big camera, and I really only take a couple photos, I’m pretty discreet.

there were several other tables taking photos too (I love when I see that, makes me feel less odd). yeah, the people sitting next to us were… interesting anyway. Jason and I are usually very talkative and get to know people sitting next to us, but… ugh. plus, they were 40 minutes late to the seating!! pipe down, people. ๐Ÿ˜‰ he made a joke when they were talking about me, saying “oh should I check in to Yelp?” and it was ALL I COULD DO to not take out my phone right there… #feisty ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh wow, this looks amazing! The cornmeal and herb encrusted portobello really jumps off at me – it looks so good (and comforting!) – but really the entire meal looks delicious. I love when restaurants do tasting dinners like this, especially when they hit it out of the park!

And I hope the couple that was rolling their eyes at you stumbles across this post and feels silly – why do you care what someone else is doing that has no effect on you? It’s happened to me before and I just laugh – their conversation must not have been very interesting on its own. :)

I know, I want more of … well, everything really! but that cornmeal portobello – Mmm. SO good. I may have to recreate that one.

I’ve seen people make a BIG deal about taking photos in restaurants, I definitely am not one of those, I am as discreet as possible (never use flash, which I see all the time!). Jason wanted me to point the camera at them… ๐Ÿ˜‰

you can make your own thing, right? and better! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m sorry, though… when I hear that it REALLY makes me appreciate Portland and the amazing chefs and food we have here…

That looks like a wonderful Valentines dinner!! <3 We don't have any vegan restaurants near us in NH, so we made vegan raw tacos and had chips and salsa, plus a little vegan wine. It was nice :)
    If I ever make it out to Portland, which I am hoping to in the next 2 years, I'll drag my boyfriend to Blossoming Lotus! He's not vegan but he still enjoys the food.

The White October…I want that! And okay the sushi, the choc torte slice, the choc balls…it all looks amazing.

Glad you two had a wonderful time. You deserve it after all you’ve been going through! You’re in my thoughts and prayers xoxo

Blossoming Lotus is so good.. my sister in law bought me a gift card for Christmas. I had been to their old yoga location several times, but going in December was my first time at their full sized shop. It’s so hard to choose off the menu!

I always have such a hard time choosing too!! honestly, I often order one thing to eat there, then order something to go to eat later, because I CANNOT CHOOSE ONE! ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. bitt says

Wow so much amazing food! I’ll take any one of those plates, let along the whole meal, wow. I tend to forget that Blossoming Lotus does some amazing cooked food too, since they do raw so well I stick to that, I love their collard wraps, can only imagine the rolls are as good.

yeah, their collard wraps are just… SO GOOD (my stomach just growled when I typed that…), and they DO cook well also! I can say I have LOVED every thing I have eaten there.

Lucky you. Gotta love food that looks fresh and delicious and then is! I appreciate the fact that you often talk about cocktails. I always like a new idea for enjoying out or sharing with friends when they come to dinner. When on Nantucket Island a few days ago for a little vacation, I was introduced to the ‘Dark and Stormy’ (Gosling’s Black Rum and Gosling’s Ginger Beer) I think it’s been around quite awhile, just new to me and dangerously refreshing, especially if you like ginger.

Thanks for all your great ideas.

you are so welcome, Denise! thank you for reading :) I have heard of a dark and stormy, but until now couldn’t tell you what was in it… I DO love ginger, I may have to try that. and thanks for letting me know you like the cocktails… we like them here, too, so I will continue to share!

I know, I am so happy they are here – really, one of my favorite Portland restaurants ever! glad you got to visit during the conference, and twice! :)

8. Caroline says

You’d think in one of the biggest cities on the East Coast we’d have something like this. But DC is surprisingly bereft of vegetarian restaurants, let alone incredible-looking ones like this. I’m jealous!