mixed berry oatmeal muffins with crumb topping

in Breakfast, daily smoothie, Dessert, product review, recipes, snacks

One of the aspects of the foodie 100 that I am really excited about is the author program, where we have opportunities to work with brands and new product. One of my favorite parts of being a nurse to my dad recently? Feeding him good food! I have been making fresh green juice for him each morning, and he likes it! He has been enjoying yogurt lately, too, so when Activia and Foodie offered to send me the new Harvest Picks flavors, I knew I could make some good eats for Dad.

Adding fresh fruit. granola, coconut and chia seeds to the Harvest Picks peach flavor made a tasty and filling parfait for Dad’s breakfast each day this week. He said the peach is his favorite flavor, describing it as fluffy, smooth and sweet. I tried to get him to draw more pictures

Yesterday’s breakfast was a Harvest Picks Smoothie:

I juiced fresh kale, apple, ginger and spinach, then blended it with one Harvest Picks strawberry flavor. The yogurt sweetened the juice and made a filling snack to go with our standard two cups of coffee

and a muffin.

I used the Harvest Picks mixed berries flavor to make muffins – fluffy, fruity and filling. Add crumb topping gives a crunchy finish, while the yogurt makes them chewy and delicious. These muffins got rave reviews – I’ll be making them again with other flavors.

mixed berry oatmeal muffins with crumb topping – see muffin recipe here.

If you follow me on twitter, you may have seen some #Glam tweeting going on recently. We have been having some fun chats – the chat from last Monday is still going on, if you’d like to join in:

New Activia Harvest Picks is a deliciously fruity and silky smooth yogurt.  You will enjoy a Harvest of real fruit in every silky spoonful.

Compensation was provided by Activia via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Activia.

1 caitlin February 16, 2012 at 4:21 am

Kris eats yogurt? I’m sure your Daddy appreciates thee… The muffins look great!

2 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm

you are just too funny, girl. ha HA. ;)

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 16, 2012 at 4:49 am

I miss yogurt so much these days. It’s funny, I don’t miss much about dairy, but yogurt was my love. These treats look amazing!

4 spabettie February 16, 2012 at 4:52 am

I’m with ya – I have never been a big fan of milk, except for cereal. but cheese and yogurt I always loved. I may have to bring them back? and most of the time I was eating my cereal WITH yogurt, not milk ;)

5 caitlin February 16, 2012 at 6:36 am

Oh shoot, honey I just got your text about going to the ER this morning, hope your Daddy is ok XO

6 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

thanks, sweetie. he is okay now…

7 Kim - Liv Life February 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

I could eat oatmeal muffins all day! Love these guys!

8 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

hi Kim! when making this recipe, the oatmeal was one of those sorta last minute decisions, and it turned out to be a GOOD one! :)

9 lindsay February 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

oh i get to try these yogurts when i get home!! so exciting! and yea for the FOODIE Program!

10 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

yay for trying the yogurts – are you getting them via Glam as well? :) I can’t believe you guys are almost home – that went FAST! sending James good luck and fastness for the tri! XO

11 Sara February 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

So, I read this early, just got back from my normal Thursday market run, had this peach yogurt for breakfast, AND these muffins are in the oven RIGHT NOW!! :D

I love the yogurts, these muffins are smelling scrumptious! Thank you Kristina! Hope you are doing good today…

12 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

thank YOU Sara! did you love the muffins? :D glad you enjoyed the yogurt – I’ve never seen one of my reviews work THAT fast before! ;)

13 Tania February 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

Your recipes are all sounding so good (I guess they ALWAYS do, LOL). The muffins look great, thanks for the yogurt review, I will give it a try!

14 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

thanks, Tania! that is always so good to hear! I hope you like the muffins – are you eating yogurt now, or will you be subbing for something else?

15 tommy February 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

I was looking at this yogurt the other day, it must be new. I’ll give it a try, though, its better than regular Activia?

16 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm

hi Tommy – everyone really likes these new flavors, which is the main difference with this new kind. There are many different kinds of Activia, so I’m not sure which you are comparing to? :)

17 Tommy February 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

heh, I like them all, mate. Just a ruse in your direction is all ;)

18 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

hee, okay, okay… I know you ;)

19 Kath February 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Congrats again on Foodie, much deserved. Muffins look great.

20 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

thanks, Kath!

21 Dara P. February 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I recently started reducing gluten (doctors orders!), and I will have you know that THREE people sent me these muffins today!! :D

I was referred to your site last week also, so its good to be here. So many creative and unique recipes, and they all look delicious too. Your pictures are beautiful, when is the cookbook?!

Off to make these muffins now…

22 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

hello Dara! thanks for saying hi, did you like the muffins?

and wow, you’ll have to tell me who referred you, so I can thank them! thanks re: my photos – it is a fun hobby and a work in progress, so to speak. a cookbook? I’ve thought about that for years… we shall see ;)

23 Paula B February 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

these muffins look good! Great job on Foodie.com!! Not surprised, your creativity plays well in the big leagues LOL :)

24 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

thanks, Paula – you are always so supportive, and I really appreciate that – I can tell you are genuinely excited by these new ventures like foodie, and that makes me even more excited! :)

25 Nichole February 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Now the yogurt looks good but the muffin has my interest! xx

26 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

everyone is loving these muffins, I’ve had to make another batch!

27 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

So funny you always have Activia yoghurt over there. The brand is called “Danone” here, but otherwise, it looks the same, also the dark green containers. :)

28 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm

how funny – Activia is part of other brands here – Stonyfield and “Dannon”, similar to your Danone! :) I believe the first yogurt I ever had was the Dannon brand – it was a daily childhood snack! :)

29 Nila February 17, 2012 at 2:08 am

You just lost a loyal fan. Sponsored posts are an instant turn-off.

30 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I am very sorry you feel that way; while I do sponsored posts from time to time, it is a fraction of what I publish and only product that I have previously approved or already use.

sorry to have lost you, thank you for your past readership.

31 Hannah February 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

Your recipes, as always, look great, and while I too was a little turned off by the sponsored post (but only just barely! I say do whatcha gotta do), it was the Vegan tag that struck a chord with me. I was so confused that I actually went to the Activa website to see if they had some new brand of vegan yogurt. I’m all for blogs that post stuff not vegan, but the tagging it as such…I dno. No losing this reader though. Just thought I’d mention it.

32 spabettie February 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

OH MY GOSH, thank you Hannah!! I am actually surprised you are the first to say something, and I have taken that tag off. I am so used to it it was honestly an inadvertent mistake! This was the first time in a long while that I’ve even had something non vegan on my website, and… Dad ate it all :)

I am completely vegan and (mostly) gluten free, but I don’t really promote it, you know? I really only use the label for recipes, and don’t ever talk about it, it’s just something I am. – I also believe to each their own… yes, I would LOVE to see more plant based diets AND a complete change in how animals are treated – and that is for another platform. here, I share recipes.

Thank you for pointing out my mistake, really, and even more so, thank you for being nice about it :) You just made my day.