saffron doughnuts with rosewater icing

Here I am with another pink and yellow dessert.

I have had the flavors of this doughnut in my head for a while. I couldn’t wait to taste it, and I have to say, they are as good as I imagined they would be.

These will be a unique and decadent Valentines breakfast or dessert option. Well, one of them. It’s Valentines Week around here, I cannot limit myself to one pink dessert.

I love the complex flavor saffron brings, and pairing it with a subtle rosewater is simply meant to be. I love these flavors, I love these doughnuts.

saffron doughnuts

dairy, gluten and soy free, vegan

makes 6 doughnuts

1 cup flour (gluten free ap)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup coconut milk (carton)
3 large pinches saffron strands (or 1 teaspoon powdered)
1/3 cup maple syrup

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil

Pour coconut milk into mixing bowl, pinch saffron strands between fingers to break strands, stir into milk.  Add maple syrup, vinegar and oil. In separate bowl*, combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to liquid mixture. Fill doughnut pan between 1/2 – 3/4 full (or use muffin tin). Bake at 375 for 12 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes clean. Allow to cool before icing.

*the way my mom taught me when I was 5: mix all wet ingredients; add flour on top of wet  but do not mix – add remaining dry ingredients to the flour, mix into just the flour, then mix into wet ingredients. Save a bowl!

rosewater icing

2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tablespoons* coconut milk
1 drop rosewater essence
coloring, optional (I used Seelect Tea – vegan + organic)

Sift powdered sugar into mixing bowl. Whisk in coconut milk, *adjusting amount for desired consistency. Mix in a drop of rosewater essence and color if using.

Do you cook with saffron? What kinds of dishes do you make with it?

Comments

When I can stomach the expense of saffron (seriously how can those tiny little strands cost so darn much!?) I love using it for cooking. I’ve never used it in a dessert, usually just savory dishes (specifically risotto) but I bet it’s wonderful in these donuts, which are gorgeous by the way :)

I love donuts. I have been trying to use rosewater more frequently, because I accidentally ended up with two bottles in my pantry. It’s so hard to find the right combinations.

Saffron is SO expensive that I’ve never had the opportunity to bake with it. BUT it’s on my list of things to purchase by the CASE when I’m in India in a couple of days. I’ll definitely be making these donuts when I get back home :)

I am so in love with the colors of these donuts, sister! Once again, you did a fabulous job–would I have expected anything different from you?? Of course not :) I cannot wait to try these! xo

I haven’t made much with saffron (I’ve only used it once, I think). But I am always intrigued by it–it’s so interesting and unique!
    The donuts look super good (as always!) :-)

oh, wow! these look amazing and I’m sure taste incredible. I’ve never baked with saffron, but this recipe might just change that. I have some new things to add to my grocery list.

these look beautiful – i love cooking with saffron, put it in soups, jams and baked goods. for my biz, i also made a soda around xmas, clementine with cardamon & saffron. it was super tasty w/beautiful color.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Brandon! saffron is such a lovely flavor, and goes so well with rose, I think. now I want a doughnut… 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

saffron and rose are some of my favorite flavors – in college I used to make an Arabic tea with these ingredients – so good! I should make it again…

• Kristina Sloggett says

coconut flour is a tough one – you could use a small amount in a blend, not replacing the full amount – coconut flour is very absorbent, so using a small amount is recommended.

thank you for sharing that recipe, Barrett – the flavors sound so good and I am intrigued by the Rose Petal Spread – I will definitely be looking for that!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I love the pink and yellow too – and yes, these flavors remind me of an Arabic tea I loved in college – saffron and rose, so SO good!