jambalaya for Mardi Gras

in Dinner, Guest Posts, recipes, Vegan

There was a time I did not like spicy foods. Actually, I think I just never gave them a chance, and certainly never cooked anything spicy or with any amount of heat. My dad loves spicy foods. My brother loves spicy foods. Jason loves spicy foods.

Little by little, I have come around and now I love spicy foods. I will always stand by my original thought, though – that it must be a flavorful heat, not just so hot that I am crying and cannot taste anything. I have been having fun learning about peppers and spices, and their varying heat levels.

When Julie asked me to create something for Mighty Vegan’s Mardi Gras, I was honored and excited, and I knew exactly what I would be making – jambalaya!

Julie is celebrating her home town of New Orleans by hosting a series of Mardi Gras food and recipe posts on Mighty Vegan.

My jambalaya recipe is featured today – check that out here.

She has already posted a po-boy recipe as well, which sounds amazing. I am honored to be a part of the series, and look forward to seeing other New Orleans traditions – stop by Mighty Vegan and say hello!

Fat Tuesday is two weeks from today – will you be celebrating Mardi Gras?

Are you a spicy food fan?

1 Christin@purplebirdblog February 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love spicy foods, but I’ve actually been CRAVING them hardcore lately, the spicier the better, way more spice than normal… so much so that I was actually really relieved when my period got here last week. Thank goodness it’s not that!

2 Christin@purplebirdblog February 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh, and I just tagged you in some silly quiz thing, if you’re so inclined.

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Great recipe! I’ve actually never had jambalaya because it has seafood in it. I’m going to have to try this one out. The spicier, the better. :)

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

LOVE spicy food. I take after my dad though and usually start sweating when eating it. Not the most attractive thing in the world but it doesn’t stop me ;)

5 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am

Is it really already Mardi Gras??? I can eat jambalaya any time…and I’m excited to see your vegan recipe!

6 Allie February 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I am definitely checking this out! I am weird enough to love okra (and have a bag of frozen okra that needs to be used). I usually don’t do much for Mardi Gras, but now I’m thinking I just might have to celebrate…

7 Tiffany February 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Love the spice and I always love that I can spot a fresh jalapeno in your food pics, it’s the first thing I see :) I need to check out her site for your recipe and the po boy recipe, they are absolutely delicious.

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This looks amazing! I love heat, but it has to be a flavor component, not just hot. I want to taste the spice not be on fire. I have really developed a deep love for spicy foods! I haven’t have Jambalaya since I developed a recipe for a client two years ago…I have no idea why because it is so dang good!

9 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Ya bet I am a spicy foodie for sure ;)

I want to dive into that jambalaya deliciousness!!!

10 lindsay February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

hell ya! we like it spicy! like everything. This will be a must make in our kitchen soon.

11 Miranda @ Biting Life February 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I love this! Since I visited New Orleans this past Christmas, I’ve been OBSESSED with the awesome food from there. Thanks for this awesome recipe to fulfill my cravings :)

12 Pure2raw twins February 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Gary loves Jambalaya! I am bookmarking this page! and Gary loves spicy foods, and I go through periods of liking it then not so much, the spicy flavors starts to get to me and over powers the dish

13 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I loooove spicy foods! It was the jalapeno that grabbed me and pulled me into this post :D I wasn’t always a fan of spicy, either. And then I remember discovering hot sauce. Tabasco and Frank’s Red Hot soaked into EVERYTHING. I’ve been in love with spicy ever since <3

14 myfudo February 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Must try…I want the same colorful bowl as well…Looks really cute!

15 Jeni Treehugger February 8, 2012 at 12:49 am

I lurrrrrve spicy food, that Jambalaya lloks F.A.B!

16 Miz February 8, 2012 at 3:41 am

I am not BUT BUT I bet you could make me one.

xo

17 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

My husband is obsessed with jambalaya and always orders it if it’s on a menu somewhere. I’ve made it a few times at home, and it turned out pretty well- it wasn’t vegan, though. I wonder if it would be good with tempeh instead of vegan sausage? And I’ve got to get my hands on some soy curls to compare the difference with TSP!

18 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I love spicy foods. And my consumption of chili and pepper is, well, impressive. When I cook for my parents, I always let them spice the food themselves. ;)

19 Julia {The Roasted Root} February 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

As a west-coaster, Louisiana-inspired dishes are hard to come by here…I hardly ever see okra at the grocery store, unfortunately :( Nevertheless, I am always up for a gumbo or jambalaya – your recipe takes me back to New Orleans – very nice work!

20 Carl February 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’m just waiting on my soy curl order, should get to make this in time for Fat Tuesday, yay!

21 Carol Silver February 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I just made this for dinner, we love it! spicy spicy and that is a popular thing in our house! thank you!

22 Indra February 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

can’t wait to make this – looks great! I’ve never even had a jambalaya so I’m looking forward to this!

23 Matt and Mark February 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

oh girl you KNOW we are making this tomorrow!! have a good one, still thinking of you every day XO

24 Jeanette February 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I love spicy food, and our vegan jambalaya sounds awesome (checked out your recipe)!

25 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:30 am

we love spicy here too, Jeanette! I think this one will work for you then!

26 Jim February 24, 2012 at 1:20 am

great photos

27 Chandra February 25, 2012 at 5:58 am

looks good, do you actually celebrate Fat Tuesday?

28 Robin February 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

I made this on Sunday…SO good…my husband emailed me yesterday and said he was craving more! Thanks for the great food ideas! I had to let it cook for 4 hours…the brown rice takes FOREVER to fluff up! :)

29 spabettie February 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

yay – SO glad you like it too! I love that your husband emailed about it – hearing that kind of thing makes my day!

30 Cara February 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I made this tonight and we all loved it so! thank you!

31 Jana March 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

thank you for this recipe! I have wanted a friendly jambalaya and this one looks terrifically spicy, perfect! thanks

32 Kate December 12, 2012 at 11:48 am

I got so excited when I stumbled across this page, but it looks like the link to the recipe doesn’t work anymore. Could you re-post it somewhere? I’d love to try it!

33 Kristina Sloggett December 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

hi Kate! looks like the link changed on their end, but I have located it and updated (thanks for letting me know!). you can get to the post here –> spabettie jambalaya.