Pink Thumbprints with Whiskey Ganache

Pink Thumbprints with Whiskey Ganache

Pink Thumbprints with Whiskey Ganache – a naturally bright pink butter cookie topped with a rich whiskey ganache – perfect for Valentines, Baby or Wedding Showers, or a Tuesday!

__________________________________________________

Now that February is here, I can really start celebrating Valentines and all things pink. Once I saw the beautiful color that comes from beet juice, I started coloring everything pink. I am also drinking a lot of beet juice. The juice balances out all the desserts we are enjoying.

I am super excited about this cookie recipe. They have a sweet buttery flavor and a perfect soft consistency. I have already made two other cookie styles in addition to the thumbprint.

Pink Thumbprints with Whiskey Ganache

pink thumbprint butter cookies

makes 20 cookies

gluten, dairy, egg and soy free, vegan

1 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour (gluten free ap)
1/4 cup milk (vanilla almond)
juice from 1 beet

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding milk by the tablespoon as necessary. Combine until dough forms, do notย over mix. Add beet juice. Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 10 minutes. Roll one inch pieces of dough into ball, make a thumbprint, place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 300 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with a spoonful of whiskey ganache. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Cool completely.

whiskey ganache

8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 ounce whiskey

In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate. Remove from heat, stir in whiskey 1/4 ounce at a time. Mixture will go from glossy to matte, continue stirring until ganache consistency is reached, approximately 2 minutes.

Whiskey ganache might be the best thing I have ever thought up. Deeply sweet and wonderfully spiked, it pairs well with the subtle butter cookie.

Pink and brown always look great together, also.

Pink Thumbprints with Whiskey Ganache
Happy Valentines Day!

and don’t worry, the pink color will come off your hands. usually within a day.

Comments

• Jann says

Help!!?? I live w alcoholic, how can I make choc whiskey?? What can I use in it’s place?? And how do I get juice frm beet w/o juicer?? I must tell u how VERY TALENTED I think u are!!

I put the beets through my juicer. sounds like what you do would work… it really doesn’t take a whole lot, as you know beet juice is DARK! :) and yeah, I knew you’d like the whiskey chocolate! :)

FYI- my shotglass molds shipped from Amazon two days ago. I’m really hoping they arrive by tomorrow so I can play with them this weekend!

I love that color. I usually buy beet powder and add water to it, rather than beet juice (which I guess I could make in my juicer if I felt like cleaning it!). It’s a great thing to have on hand- I use it for a vegan ruben recipe that is out of this world.

so… have you made anything yet??? ๐Ÿ˜€

WHERE do you get beet powder? online? in stores? (another reader asked…)

can’t wait to see what you make with your molds! XO

thank you, Biz! ๐Ÿ˜€ I am not a whiskey drinker (but Jason is, so we have it around), but I DO like the flavor with the chocolate!

Whiskey ganache? Brilliant! I have a roommate who works in whiskey, and I don’t want to admit JUST how many bottles are in my kitchen. Pretty pretty cookies! Yes for pink season.

thanks, Jess. I was happy they turned out so pretty! and surprisingly you cannot taste the beet flavor… ๐Ÿ˜€

thank you, Heather!! :) you know that phenomenon – when you are SO INSANELY busy, you get more done?? I think that’s happening right now… because I have so much going on, but have been on one of my creative streaks, too. these are really good cookies, very easy and SO tasty! XXO!

I am thrilled with the beet juice – it is sometimes difficult to find food tint that is vegan… and STILL pretty. ๐Ÿ˜‰

beet juice is the best, yes? I am a little obsessed with coloring everything pink, especially now for valentines… :)

YES, these would be PERFECT for a bachlorette party… hmm… ANOTHER idea for a spabettie etsy shop… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Beet juice, this is brilliant! All natural color! ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh, and I hope I didn’t offend you with my silly comments on your about page. Way overboard (duh), but I wanted to make you smile. The idea of plant-based nutrition is still on my mind and won’t leave (I know myself), so let’s see where it’s going to take me. :)

I was SO happy with the beet juice result – I imagined it would be a nice color since my juice with beets is always so pretty…

and again, yes, now that I KNOW what you’re talking about… you KNOW you can not offend me! XXO

I am so very excited for you and your plant based journey, dear friend!

well, yes, even though I do not drink it at all, I have to say the whiskey made the recipe. ๐Ÿ˜€ XO hope all is good with you, dear friend!

That color is incredible! Love that it comes from beet juice! :-) I bet these are divine, Kristina. Hehe on the pink coloring coming off in about a day. About the same as our hand stamps from the concert we attended last night. ๐Ÿ˜‰

xo,
    Shirley

haa – I know all about those hand stamps… some of them last through a couple showers!! :) yeah, when you are kneading this dough, your hands become pink… and your counters… and the mixing bowls… and… and…

๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Gloria says

These look delicious!! Where can I purchase beet powder (or, how does one “juice” a beet…the visual I am getting is just too funny)?

I have heard there is beet powder… I have not seen it, though. I’d say a specialty store, perhaps a baking shop. definitely online?

I did just juice a beet, though… I put fresh beets through my Breville juicer. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Jann! if you boil some beets they will produce a deep rich red color, you can use that. (and perhaps even puree one of the boiled (softened) beets and add a small amount for a deeper color.

ENJOY!

6. Laura says

Made them. I added maple syrup to the chocolate b/c wasn’t sure the liquor would be good for the kids. I didn’t use enough beet juice to get them bright pink so I guess I’ll have to make them again! They are super yummy though!

oh, darn, you’ll have to make them again! ๐Ÿ˜‰ glad you liked them, and yes, they’d be just as good with the kid friendly maple syrup!

7. zoe says

These sound amazing and I’m looking forward to making them, but I’m wondering how they are gluten free when it calls for whiskey, what other kind of liquor can you use to make them completely gluten free?

8. Jann says

I live with an alcoholic, can you tell me how to make the chocolate ganache without the whiskey…and can you tell me how to get the juice from the beet without a juicer??? I have put this reply up several times but for some reason it keeps leaving out several words so you can’t even read it or understand it???!!! Anyway I love these cookies they look beautiful and I want to try them so bad!!! and I must tell you how very talented I think you are!!!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hello Jann! you can easily make this chocolate ganache without the whiskey – it will be just as delicious!

• Kristina Sloggett says

beet juice is phenomenal as a food coloring, especially this time of year! you need so little that the flavor is not detectable…

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks Des! and yes, that whiskey ganache… good stuff! I haven’t always been a big beet fan (have you had them roasted? I love them roasted!), but you use so little of the beet juice to color, there is no flavor.

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Jennifer! I love how the beet color turns out, I have used it many times and get some really great pinks!

Trackbacks