edamame “egg” salad

in Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Though my view on eggs has always been sketchy, one thing I crave now and then is an egg salad sandwich. Before giving up eggs altogether, I used to make edamame egg salad.

Replacing the egg with tofu and adding a few more ingredients to elevate it from a basic recipe, this comes close to the original. Jason gave it a yes vote also, hopefully for more than the large amount of pepper I added to his.

Jason likes his pepper. A couple years ago I found him a pepper grinder made by the same person who makes his drum sticks. Awesome.

Most of the time I make egg salad sandwiches with my spinach breads, but this time I wrapped it into corn tortillas. Edamame egg salad tacos? Try it!

edamame ‘egg’ salad

1/3 cup mayonnaise (Vegenaise®)
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

1 teaspoon yellow mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
3/4 cup edamame

3 green onions, chopped fine

While pressing tofu, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Chop tofu into small pieces – I made 1/4 inch squares. Fold tofu, edamame and onions into mayonnaise mixture. Cover and cool in refrigerator, allowing flavors to combine, at least one hour.

Serve in a sandwich, over salad greens or quinoa, or in a taco shell!

Really, every time I see these photos I want to eat this again, immediately.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 1, 2012 at 5:18 am

Oh love love this idea. I’m thinking I need to try these for a late Sunday lunch. YUM

2 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

yay – I hope you do, you’ll love it!

3 Traci February 1, 2012 at 5:31 am

Yum I can’t wait to try this one! Looks fabulous 😊

4 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

thanks, Traci, I hope you love it like we do!

5 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 1, 2012 at 5:39 am

I used to make an eggless egg salad for myself every other day when I was vegan. Since then though, I haven’t made it once. Not once! I guess I just totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, and I love that you added edamame :)

6 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

you should definitely try it with edamame – either eggs or eggless, it really makes the salad SO GOOD! :D

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 1, 2012 at 5:48 am

I had a (real) egg sandwich yesterday with edamame spread on it that reminds me of this. It was delicious so I’m assuming this would be as well!

8 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

Mmm, edamame spread! I need to get on that, stat! :D

9 katie February 1, 2012 at 5:54 am

This is awesome! Love this to pieces! I would make this with egg whites as well for me! I like the tofu though as well!

Happy Wednesday!

Sending love to you, Basil, husband, and your dad!

10 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

THANK YOU KATIE! you are the sweetest to keep us in your thoughts, and Basil sends wags to you! you should definitely try egg salad with edamame – you’ll LOVE it! XO

11 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 1, 2012 at 6:48 am

I love the addition of edamame! I may have to try this–but I’ll probably go ahead and use eggs. I just can’t eat raw tofu.

12 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

I totally understand – I loved it with real eggs, and know MANY others did as well! :)

13 Allie February 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh yum! I’ve made “tuna” salad before, but have never tried for egg. And oh, I love any excuse for lots and lots of pepper, too. Those are snazzy pepper grinders–now I want one.

14 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:40 am

aren’t the pepper grinders fun?? I can vouch for their quality – we have had the pepper mill for maybe 6 years, and a salt mill for another 4 or 5 years… they are great!

share a link to your tuna salad if you have one? :D

15 Allie February 3, 2012 at 7:26 am

I use this recipe: http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/08/mock-tuna-salad.html

But I sub sweet gherkin for dill pickle (and add lots more) and sub plain soy yogurt for the vegan mayo.

16 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

YUM, looks good! and thanks – what a FUN website – I just spent way too much time there… ;)

17 Jared February 1, 2012 at 8:26 am

I have grown to love eggless egg salad and can’t wait to try this one with the edamame! Awesome idea.

18 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:38 am

hi Jared! do you make your own eggless salad? while I love this recipe, I am still playing with the tofu, to make it even more “egg like”. I’m thinking of steaming or boiling it? (is that bizarre??) :D

19 Jared February 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I usually just give the tofu a squeeze to get rid of the water (I personally like it with a little give, I find it on the dry side when pressed for a cold salad) and crumble it with my hands into a bowl, add some veganaise, dijon mustard, garlic/onion powder, dill, cayenne, and I mince up a pickle to give it a little bite! Cucumber would work well too. Sometimes I slip in a little of the pickle juice, I LOVE the tangy and acidic taste!

I would definitely give that a try. My version tastes a little like egg salad, not truly like “eggs” per se. I think cooking it in some capacity would lend its flavor to eggs more.

20 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:57 am

I LOVE pickle juice and pickles in egg salad… I think I’m getting a similar thing with the vinegar? I do love this recipe, and the sound of yours too. thanks for sharing!

21 Cookin' Canuck February 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

I adore egg salad and am intrigued by your egg-less version. Great idea to add in the edamame!

22 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:37 am

the edamame is SO good in this… while we both liked this, and enough for me to share the recipe, I am going to fuss around with the tofu a bit… try to make it even more “egg” like in consistency. I am freezing a block right now, I have heard that changes texture. I also thought of steaming or … boiling it?? :) we shall see!

23 lindsay February 1, 2012 at 9:28 am

i crave good egg salad too. i bet the edamame gives it more texture, which i like. No more eggs for you? uh oh, why’s that? did i miss that post?

24 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

haa, no, you didn’t miss it, I quietly moved to a completely plant based diet last winter, about a year ago ;) eggs were always iffy for me anyway, this is one of the ways I kinda miss them! edamame is AWESOME in egg salad, Lindsay, you should try it!

25 Cara February 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yeah, you are pretty much making me wanna eat it again (even though I didn’t have an actual first round with it)… This must mean that you are a pro :)

26 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

ha! pro. ;) I was JUST having a conversation about cookbooks yesterday. #WishfulThinking…

27 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 1, 2012 at 11:03 am

Can you please tell me which brand of tofu you like to use? I always get the “egg” salad on the salad bar at Whole Foods and just can’t replicate it! I’d like to try out your recipe, but want to know your opinion on tofu brands first (I almost always get Twin Oaks- which has a very different texture than most).
And- are you going to Blend? Please say yes. :)

28 Lisa B February 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

I would like some too, please :-)

29 Heather Blackmon (@betterwithveg) February 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Oh this looks awesome, I love the addition of edamame in this recipe! I don’t really like celery in my egg salad, but often feel like something with a little more texture would be nice. Can’t wait to try it!

30 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

It looks amazing and I seriously thought there was egg in it! The turmeric totally yellowed the tofu right up and it’s such a dead ringer for eggs. NICE WORK! These pics are gorgeous, too.

31 Nichole February 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I’m going to have to trust those taste-buds of yours, but you haven’t let me down yet. Really unique, colorful and looks packed with flavor.

32 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This looks very good! I miss some chicken in this one, though. :D

33 Christin@purplebirdblog February 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This made me realize it has been far too long since I’ve had edamame or tofu separately, let alone together. I need these things!

34 caitlin February 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Looks beautiful, Beautiful!! ;)

35 Pure2raw twins February 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm

beautiful!! and I have edamame on hand for Gary, so this is perfect! looks sooooo good too! thanks

36 mightyvegan February 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

OMG, I have to make this, I love edamame beans. I used to make an avocado edamame spread but it’s not filling enough, this is a must make for me!

37 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Oh edamame…how I miss thee! Looks amazingly delicious and comforting!

Thinking about you today! Hope things are going well. I got your last comment back to me. I know it’s a lot to take in, but I’m hoping it’s all going well! Hugs!

38 Steve @ the black peppercorn February 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

We LOVE egg salad and I personally am a huge fan of edamames. This is a very intriguing recipe you have here. I am going to bookmark it and will try it soon. Very creative!

39 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) February 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Mmmm 2 of my favorite things – Edamame and eggs! :) Looks delicious!

40 Eden February 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

First of all, I love, LOVE, that you put the “egg” salad in taco form! Anything is better in taco form!

I’m sorry your views of eggs are “sketchy” because I actually love them. Although I will try to mimic this. Sketch and all ;)

41 Richa@HobbyandMore February 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I do want to pick it up and eat it with you.. I am not a tofu fan.. so i will probably add some crumbled tempeh. i love all that black pepper and edamame!

42 Robin February 2, 2012 at 1:41 am

I’ve never liked the idea of tofu egg salad, even though I love tofu, but this looks great! And the taco shells – neat!

43 Natasha February 2, 2012 at 10:45 am

j’yummy! Hey – I’ve been interviewing for the regional rep position for Benefit Cosmetics – 3 days back to back…I promise to send you your care package on Tuesday…have an EKG to go to on Mon…
hope your papa is doing great and not flirting too much with the nurses! ;)
Mwaaaah!

44 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I keep meaning to reply to this – busy here too! I have been thinking of you, though – sending good vibes your way about your interviews – hope it goes well!

and Dad IS HOME!! he came home over the weekend (I need to sit for a minute to update everyone…), and we are hoping he will start chemo this week. I go over each morning early, to “feed” him his (feed tube) breakfast, give meds, etc. It is SO nice to have him at home, where I know he is happier and more comfortable. :) and now I can JUICE for him!! he is on feed tube, but can eat soft foods and drink, so fresh beautiful juice it is! (which makes ME happy!)

you are the sweetest friend – thank you!

45 Tyler February 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm

made this today, terrific! good job and thanks.

46 Bob February 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

I too miss my egg salad, and just found you from searching for a vegan alternative! I will be making this, thanks!

47 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

hi Bob! I hope you like this version!

48 Jan February 19, 2012 at 7:15 am

made this for lunch, LOVE it!

49 Ginna March 21, 2012 at 2:33 am

saw this from the foodie feature – congrats on that! this looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it.

50 Kiersten March 29, 2012 at 12:14 am

this is brilliant!

51 Brittany December 5, 2012 at 10:26 am

I just made this today for lunch and boy is it good. I added black salt to give it more of an eggy flavor and I made my own vegan mayonnaise.

52 Kristina Sloggett December 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I am so happy you like it, Brittany! I make my own mayo now as well – easy and faster than I remembered!

53 Amanda January 23, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hi!

I know I’m almost a year late, but just had to tell you how much I loved this! I’ve never been a fan of uncooked tofu, so I was hesitant to try this…but it was SO GOOD! I made it the night before work so it would have plenty of time to soak up the flavor. I added some black salt to make it more “egg-y” and some nutritional yeast…just because. It’s lasted me for 2 lunches, and I plan to make it again soon. Yay! Thank you!

54 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

hi there, Amanda! I love that you are enjoying this, it’s an old favorite of mine… in fact, when I saw this comment come in earlier, I decided to make it for my lunch today! so thank YOU!

Kristina

55 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

What a hearty, healthy lunch!

56 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

thank you, I really do wish I could have shared with you! :)