Edamame “Egg” Salad

Edamame "Egg" Salad

Edamame “Egg” Salad – a plant based makeover of everyone’s favorite classic sandwich stuffer, with an extra serving of protein from edamame, and flavor from colorful spices.

_______________________________________________________

Though my view on eggs has always been sketchy, one thing I crave now and then is an egg salad sandwich. Before giving up eggs altogether, I used to make edamame egg salad.

Replacing the egg with tofu and adding a few more ingredients to elevate it from a basic recipe, this comes close to the original. Jason gave it a yes vote also, hopefully for more than the large amount of pepper I added to his.

Jason likes his pepper. A couple years ago I found him a pepper grinder made by the same person who makes his drum sticks. Awesome.

Edamame "Egg" Salad

Most of the time I make egg salad sandwiches with my spinach breads, but this time I wrapped it into corn tortillas. Edamame egg salad tacos? Try it!

Edamame “Egg” Salad

1/3 cup mayonnaise (Vegenaiseยฎ)
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

1 teaspoon yellow mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
3/4 cup edamame

3 green onions, chopped fine

While pressing tofu, combineย mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Chop tofu into small pieces – I made 1/4 inch squares. Fold tofu, edamame and onions into mayonnaise mixture. Cover and cool in refrigerator, allowing flavors to combine, at least one hour.

Serve in a sandwich, over salad greens or quinoa, or in a taco shell!

Edamame "Egg" Salad

Really, every time I see these photos I want to eat this again, immediately.

Comments

I used to make an eggless egg salad for myself every other day when I was vegan. Since then though, I haven’t made it once. Not once! I guess I just totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, and I love that you added edamame :)

you should definitely try it with edamame – either eggs or eggless, it really makes the salad SO GOOD! ๐Ÿ˜€

This is awesome! Love this to pieces! I would make this with egg whites as well for me! I like the tofu though as well!

Happy Wednesday!

Sending love to you, Basil, husband, and your dad!

THANK YOU KATIE! you are the sweetest to keep us in your thoughts, and Basil sends wags to you! you should definitely try egg salad with edamame – you’ll LOVE it! XO

Oh yum! I’ve made “tuna” salad before, but have never tried for egg. And oh, I love any excuse for lots and lots of pepper, too. Those are snazzy pepper grinders–now I want one.

hi Jared! do you make your own eggless salad? while I love this recipe, I am still playing with the tofu, to make it even more “egg like”. I’m thinking of steaming or boiling it? (is that bizarre??) ๐Ÿ˜€

• says

I usually just give the tofu a squeeze to get rid of the water (I personally like it with a little give, I find it on the dry side when pressed for a cold salad) and crumble it with my hands into a bowl, add some veganaise, dijon mustard, garlic/onion powder, dill, cayenne, and I mince up a pickle to give it a little bite! Cucumber would work well too. Sometimes I slip in a little of the pickle juice, I LOVE the tangy and acidic taste!

I would definitely give that a try. My version tastes a little like egg salad, not truly like “eggs” per se. I think cooking it in some capacity would lend its flavor to eggs more.

I LOVE pickle juice and pickles in egg salad… I think I’m getting a similar thing with the vinegar? I do love this recipe, and the sound of yours too. thanks for sharing!

the edamame is SO good in this… while we both liked this, and enough for me to share the recipe, I am going to fuss around with the tofu a bit… try to make it even more “egg” like in consistency. I am freezing a block right now, I have heard that changes texture. I also thought of steaming or … boiling it?? :) we shall see!

i crave good egg salad too. i bet the edamame gives it more texture, which i like. No more eggs for you? uh oh, why’s that? did i miss that post?

haa, no, you didn’t miss it, I quietly moved to a completely plant based diet last winter, about a year ago ๐Ÿ˜‰ eggs were always iffy for me anyway, this is one of the ways I kinda miss them! edamame is AWESOME in egg salad, Lindsay, you should try it!

Yeah, you are pretty much making me wanna eat it again (even though I didn’t have an actual first round with it)… This must mean that you are a pro :)

Can you please tell me which brand of tofu you like to use? I always get the “egg” salad on the salad bar at Whole Foods and just can’t replicate it! I’d like to try out your recipe, but want to know your opinion on tofu brands first (I almost always get Twin Oaks- which has a very different texture than most).
    And- are you going to Blend? Please say yes. :)

Oh edamame…how I miss thee! Looks amazingly delicious and comforting!

Thinking about you today! Hope things are going well. I got your last comment back to me. I know it’s a lot to take in, but I’m hoping it’s all going well! Hugs!

First of all, I love, LOVE, that you put the “egg” salad in taco form! Anything is better in taco form!

I’m sorry your views of eggs are “sketchy” because I actually love them. Although I will try to mimic this. Sketch and all ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Natasha says

j’yummy! Hey – I’ve been interviewing for the regional rep position for Benefit Cosmetics – 3 days back to back…I promise to send you your care package on Tuesday…have an EKG to go to on Mon…
    hope your papa is doing great and not flirting too much with the nurses! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Mwaaaah!

I keep meaning to reply to this – busy here too! I have been thinking of you, though – sending good vibes your way about your interviews – hope it goes well!

and Dad IS HOME!! he came home over the weekend (I need to sit for a minute to update everyone…), and we are hoping he will start chemo this week. I go over each morning early, to “feed” him his (feed tube) breakfast, give meds, etc. It is SO nice to have him at home, where I know he is happier and more comfortable. :) and now I can JUICE for him!! he is on feed tube, but can eat soft foods and drink, so fresh beautiful juice it is! (which makes ME happy!)

you are the sweetest friend – thank you!

10. Brittany says

I just made this today for lunch and boy is it good. I added black salt to give it more of an eggy flavor and I made my own vegan mayonnaise.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I am so happy you like it, Brittany! I make my own mayo now as well – easy and faster than I remembered!

11. Amanda says

Hi!

I know I’m almost a year late, but just had to tell you how much I loved this! I’ve never been a fan of uncooked tofu, so I was hesitant to try this…but it was SO GOOD! I made it the night before work so it would have plenty of time to soak up the flavor. I added some black salt to make it more “egg-y” and some nutritional yeast…just because. It’s lasted me for 2 lunches, and I plan to make it again soon. Yay! Thank you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi there, Amanda! I love that you are enjoying this, it’s an old favorite of mine… in fact, when I saw this comment come in earlier, I decided to make it for my lunch today! so thank YOU!

Kristina