blackened cauliflower and kalamata pizza for Food ‘N Flix: Eat Pray Love

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Food‘nFlix

Last month I discovered a fun monthly event, Food ‘n Flix, created by Heather of girlichef, and hosted by a different blogger each month. The host chooses a film that has a food theme, we watch and create a dish inspired by the film. Fun, right?

This month, the host is The Law Student’s Cookbook and the film – Eat Pray Love.

I loved this book when I read it years ago. Not surprisingly, I immediately wanted to book my own three month trip filled with self indulgent excess. I wanted to meet a Balinese Shaman. I wanted to stretch and learn and explore. I even wanted to learn to meditate. I am not so good at quieting this mind.

When the movie came out, I saved Jason from having to watch and a few excited girls went to see it. As much as I find Julia Roberts charming, I did not enjoy the movie as much as the book. I know many feel the same – saying it is too self indulgent and unrealistic. Well, of course, for many this is true. For me this is true, at least the unrealistic part.

I feel there are times you should be self indulgent, and have no guilt about it. Watching this film recently, with my recent perspectives, I can appreciate the break. I can appreciate the running halfway across the world. I can appreciate taking care of yourself.

I think what was disappointing for me, in anticipation of the three places visited and the accompanying life changers in each, was the first hour of the movie – giving more story to details that were not as prevalent in the book. We saw so much more of her life prior to the journey – I wanted to get to the good stuff. Okay, and the pizza.

Another reason many might be turned off by the self indulgence – the movie doesn’t clearly define the why. The book can narrate much more of the thoughts, feelings and intentions that inspire such a trip in the first place – the struggle to find oneself and the search for independence – the movie is a glossy party with new friends, and pizza.

Don’t get me wrong – I enjoyed the movie okay. Having read the book, I can and do appreciate this movie – even like it. It was fun to watch again for this post. After 2.5 hours, I was ready for pizza.

blackened cauliflower and kalamata pizza

gluten, egg and dairy free, vegan

makes one pie

5 ounces mozzarella (1/2 block Follow Your Heart), grated
roasted / blackened cauliflower (recipe follows)
1 16 ounce jar peppers – sweet cherry or Italian, chopped
1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pizza crust (recipe follows)

Top pizza crust with olive oil, basil and oregano. Arrange cheese, leaving an inch around edge of crust. Top with cauliflower, olives and peppers. Cook according to instruction for pizza crust – (after par-baking crust, bake pizza with toppings 10-15 minutes at 375).

roasted / blackened cauliflower

1/2 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt

Chop / break cauliflower into bite size pieces, arrange on foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. To blacken / crisp further, broil for 3-5 more minutes, watching closely.

gluten free pizza crust

makes one pie

gluten, soy, egg and dairy free, vegan

3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup millet flour
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon agave
1 active dry yeast packet
2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for kneading/shaping

Proof the yeast – combine yeast packet with warm water and agave, set aside. Add all dry ingredients to bowl or stand mixer. Add proofed yeast and oil, combine (using stand mixer, I mixed on medium for 2-3 minutes).

With olive oil on your hands, remove dough from bowl and shape into a ball. On prepared baking sheet (I used olive oiled parchment), spread dough into desired shape for your pizza. Let dough sit for 30 minutes – preheat oven to 375. Partially bake dough 25 minutes. Add toppings and return to oven, continue baking another 10-15 minutes, until toppings are warm and melty.

Cheesy, salty, and spicy – this is my new favorite pizza flavor.

To see a roundup of all Eat Pray Love inspirations, visit The Law Student’s Cookbook in the coming days (after the deadline, January 28).

To participate or host a month with your own movie choice, visit Food ‘n Flix for more information and to see the upcoming movies.

Salute!

1 Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg January 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

That pizza does look amazing! Throw on some of the more colorful varieties of cauliflower for more color. I’ve never heard of the mozzarella you used though.

2 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

hi Miriam – Follow Your Heart is the brand that makes Vegenaise. They have a line of vegan cheeses that are pretty good, and I’ve found them in most stores.

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 25, 2012 at 11:34 am

I’ve seen the movie and enjoyed it, but the book is almost always better and really should pick it up sometime. This pizza looks incredible. But I’m not terribly picky about pizzas LOL. I definitely need to try this crust recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it!

4 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

good that you liked the movie – I promise you’ll like the book even more! I feel pretty good about this crust recipe – so many have not been good ones, this one is nice and chewy!

5 Elizabeth January 25, 2012 at 11:38 am

The toppings on the pizza are so creative. I love it and will have to try it for myself sometime!

6 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

thanks, Elizabeth – I hope you do try it. Thanks for hosting us this month, this movie was a fun one to revisit!

7 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 25, 2012 at 11:45 am

OMG! This looks amazing, doll and I must make it….dang grain free diet right now but when I’m off, I’ll make it…or maybe make it for Ryan!!!

xxoo

8 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

yes, surprise Ryan with it! :D

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

I feel like I need to read the book now. I didn’t care for the movie and I’m a Julia Roberts fan, but dang the movie came across as way too self centered (in my opinion). The pizza looks and sounds amazing! I am really craving pizza now. I’m thinking about you and hope you are doing well today!

10 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

I know – and I suppose with the real story, she WAS a bit self centered, but with the book you read more about WHY, and understood and applauded her for it?? maybe? :)

thank you, Sarena. I definitely appreciate your continued thoughts… some days I’m too exhausted to move, others I have the energy and smile at EVERYONE. :D

11 Shannon Roche January 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love blackened cauliflower. I don’t know why I’ve never thought of using it as a pizza topping before?!

12 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love it too – you really need to try this, Shannon. I hate when people call food ‘life changing’ – but… I cannot stop thinking about this pizza. It made me happy. :)

13 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

that looks so good! I love the roasted (blackened) cauli..I can show you blackened. It’s called forget about your roasted veggies while you’re just going to check one quick email…ahem… :)

14 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

oops! this was not as blackened as I usually do, but… sounds like mine is never as blackened as yours! :)

15 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I think I’m the only woman alive who did not care for the book. (and therefor did not see the movie.). This pizza, however, I can get on board with! :-)

16 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

and that is okay! :) I liked the book, but it’s been so long since I’ve read it, I thought I might re read… perspectives and thoughts change all the time, right? maybe I’ll feel differently about it.

the pizza. yes. I will ALWAYS like this pizza.

17 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses January 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You nailed how I felt about the movie as well! The pizza looks fantastic.

18 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

right?? too bad, because it’s a great story, really.

19 Lisa B January 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm

The pizza looks great, and I felt the exact same way about the book/movie. That happens often, but for this book…it seemed particularly frustrating to watch the movie!

20 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:28 am

I always enjoy the book more, I think that’s normal… but yeah, this one was SO different, right?

21 Katrina January 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I’ll give you a brownie for a piece of that pizza! I’ve now seen twice in just a couple days cauliflower on pizza and I’ve got to try it.

22 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

that’s a DEAL! :D

23 Pure2raw twins January 25, 2012 at 7:35 pm

have not seen that movie yet, still on our list to see! I am still trying to read the book, I have a few other health books to finish first before that happens, if it ever happens.

and wow that pizza looks perfect! love the idea of putting cauliflower on top!!

24 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

hint: read the book first ;) you may like the movie better then.

I have found myself thinking of this pizza… I need to make it again soon!

25 STUFT Mama January 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I get WAY too overwhelmed everytime I visit your blog. I want to make everything (or I want to come knock on your door and eat whatever you’ve got going on over there). :) This pizza just looks fabulous!!!! You are amazing. I’m going to do a peanut butter Flat Kitty post this Friday. Maybe we can link up your peanut butter post (because everyone should see that)? Just a thought. :)

26 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

like I said in my email, I would LOVE a knock on my door from you! :D

27 Richa@HobbyandMore January 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm

i couldnt sit through more than 20 minutes of the movie.. something was just not working.
that pizza looks amazing.. love the blackened cauli!

28 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

“something was just not working” < -- ha! :) I think I liked it only because I had read the book... where I can recall the story they left out. I love Love LOVE blackened cauliflower - the flavors on this pizza too. I find myself thinking about it often! :)

29 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca January 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

mmmm I love how different this pizza is! and I suddenly have a huge craving for olives :)

30 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

when do I NOT crave olives? :D

31 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 26, 2012 at 4:59 am

I don’t know the book or the movie, just heard and read a lot about both. I’m sure I wouldn’t mind about self-absorption because I’m an expert with that. ;) But the most important thing is that you had some enjoyment, with a break and the pizza. :)

32 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

yes, I definitely did enjoy. kinda antsy watching the movie this time around… but I did it :)

33 Theresa @ActiveEggplant January 26, 2012 at 7:33 am

Wow – that pizza looks SO good! I’ve never read the book & haven’t seen the movie, but I’m definitely inspired to make this pizza now!

34 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:12 am

oh, good, then I’ve done my job! (if you ever feel the need, read the book first!) :)

35 Cadry January 26, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love roasted cauliflower, but I’ve never had it on a pizza. To put it together with kalamata olives sounds completely delicious.

36 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:12 am

it IS completely delicious. I want these flavors every day – I had some left over toppings and I added it to quinoa in a wrap. SO good. ;)

37 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 26, 2012 at 8:00 am

Olives, cauli, pizza…I’m in love :)

38 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

I know – it’s my favorite pizza now. I want it every day!

39 Dorry January 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I was just talking about that movie with some c0-workers. Not a big fan! But I didn’t read the book, so I have nothing to compare it to. But this pizza looks delicious. I bookmarked it for that GF crust recipe. :)

40 Emily @LivingLongfellow January 26, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Love this incredible vegan recipe!! I needed a vegan pizza recipe :) Love Eat, Pray, Love. God, I would love to do what she did. Who has that much money or time though?

41 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:58 am

I know, wouldn’t it be nice to take a year off to travel? sigh… someday!

42 Heather @girlichef January 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This is an utterly fantastic pizza. I’d even turn the movie on in the background just to get a few slices ;).

43 spabettie January 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

ha, knowing you felt the same about the movie as I did, I take that as a BIG compliment, Heather!! :D

44 Jeanne January 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I liked the book, but not the movie. They definitely changed the story too much, and made it even more pretentious in my opinion. However, the movie did inspire some excellent food – including this pizza! Why have I not had roasted cauliflower before? Sounds AMAZING, especially on pizza!

45 spabettie January 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm

oh, Jeanne, THANK YOU for saying so! I felt like such a scrooge for saying so – I know many loved the film. I really liked the book, in fact I found it today and took it from the shelf, to be re-read again next… I hope you try this – roasted cauliflower is amazing, and on this pizza – OH so good! :)

46 Laurel January 31, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I commented on this pizza when I first saw it but I must have drooled over the computer too much because it threw me right out of cyberspace. Still, posts like this one, at the very time my spouse is decrying his lack of pizza, is why I stalk you. :-)

47 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

haa – watch that computer, I’d hate for it to stop working on ya! ;) thank you for stalking me – I love it!! hope you enjoy the pizza!

48 Christina February 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oh my goodness this looks amazing!! I really shouldn’t be checking out your blog before I have lunch. Not good! lol

49 Shar February 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm

great flavors, I never would have thought of this! looks lovely.

50 Karen February 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I made this pizza crust last night, SO good! I made a sorta similar pizza, using real mozz and adding some um.. sausage. ***sorry***

51 Vi February 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm

this looks delicious!

52 Petra March 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

made the crust, it was good but a little chewy for me. I like a crispy crust, do you know how to do that???