I have had plenty of perspective – giving moments this week.

I don’t want to get into many details, but I want to explain my absence this week and what will most likely follow for a while.

Dad went into the hospital a week ago today.

Before we left for Mexico over the holidays, he was to have his third and final surgery – the most important one. This did not happen, due to complications.

Last Friday we found out those complications are cancer.

He was admitted to prepare for chemo – instead there are more complications – he has spent most of the week in ICU with pneumonia.

Needless to say, everything else in life just stops – my main focus right now is my dad, and getting him better.

I am also watching our yard fill with water.

The rain, and the lessons in perspective, can stop now. We have had enough.

I miss you all – I miss the daily interaction here and out there – I bring my laptop to the hospital and check in when I can.

Go hug your loved ones for me, okay?

Oh friend, I am so sad for you. Sending you lots of hugs and positive energy and strength. I’m thinking of you and your family, my dear. Hugs.

I remember how things were when my dad got cancer and I’m so so sorry love. I’m here if you ever need to talk/vent or even just be distracted with hyperness 😉 whatever you need – i’m here! love you! my heart will be with you guys

thank you, Jenn. I may take you up on that – I know we never had our chat date, but I’d love some distracting email time. fill me in on what’s new? feel free to chat and blather. love you!

Like they say, we need the rain to see the rainbows. Cheesy and trite? Perhaps, but you’ll get through this as well. I’m keeping you and your family in my thoughts, my friend. Hang in there!

not cheesy to me, Abby – it is so true. I’m looking for the rainbow every day – and I know it will appear in some way. thank you – your friendship is so very appreciated <3

Still loving you. Still praying. xoxo

And I just found out my Dad is in the hospital too. He’s in cardiac ICU for what they think is pneumonia, but he’s apparently doing better now that he’s on oxygen. My dad is in and out of the hospital frequently with a plethora of medical issues, and when he’s up there and I’m down here I feel so helpless. My sister assures me he is doing better, but I’m a little numb about the situation in general. :/

I am so sorry your Dad is down too – BOTH our dads are in CICU – my dad was moved yesterday from ICU to cardiac… still has pneumonia. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to your dad – sorry you are going through this from a distance. <3

• says

Talking to my dad, he sounds better, but he never tells me the truth about how bad it may be. And my sister’s power has been out and I can’t get a hold of her either (she’s usually a lot more forthcoming about his state than he is). UGH. Just trusting that all will be well soon enough… for both our dads. <3

Miriam – your wonderful words brought (positive) tears – I am hoping for sunshine soon as well… thank you. <3

thank you Laura – sorry you went through that – you definitely know what I am thinking, feeling, doing. I appreciate the love <3

I miss you and I do not even know the words to say, I am so sorry for this rough time in your life. I am sending your dad love and prayers and am hoping that they caught it early enough and he will fight through!

Lots of love to you <3

6. bitt says

SO sorry what a rough time for your family. You are lucky you can be with him, that is a precious gift you have right now. Enjoy it.

7. Carbzilla says

Oh hon, I’m so sorry.

We’re not going anywhere. Just do what you need to do for your family, your house, and your heart. We’ll be here when you get back.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. Hard times have a way of putting things in perspective and reminding us of what is truly important. Loving light and thoughts to you and your family.

thank you Cadry – I love when I see perspective, it is important, no doubt. It can be finished now, though :) thank you for your thoughts, they are much appreciated <3

thank you, Averie! and I appreciate your recent emails – really! it’s nice to have distractions and touches of real life. keep them coming! :)

so sorry, dear friend! prayers, hugs and so much love coming your way. glad you posted about it here – hopefully getting some of the thoughts our of your head and into a post helped in some small way…and feeling the support from your friends around the world. love you.

sweet Dorry – I appreciate your words always. I wasn’t sure about posting here, but so many were asking after me. It is good to check in and see the support from my online community. It helps me continue.

Oh, Kristina. I’m so sorry to hear this! It’s got to be so tough on you… I’ll keep you and your father in my thoughts and send positive vibes your way. I hope the rain stops soon, that water level looks pretty scary! xoxo

the water level WAS scary – thankfully the river has gone down and is no longer in our yard. thank you SO much, Hally – your positive thoughts are sp appreciated. <3

Like the pops of green in these photos I hope you’re able to find the bright spots during this tough time, Kris. I’m so sorry for the pain that this part of life has you experiencing. Stay strong. You’re in my thoughts. xoxo

thank you so much, Stephanie – that means a great deal to me. I am seeing much more green these days – the river has gone down some and is not in our yard any longer! :)

thinking and praying for you Kris. Praying for your family, praying for you dad! Please know i am here for ANYTHING! Sending a virtual hug your way.

thank you, Lindsay – your friendship, support and prayers mean so much more than you know. actually, you probably do know. love you.

thank you SO much – still hoping for good news too – he has good days, then takes a step back. it’s a process. your words mean more than you know! XO

thank you so much, Lauren! Dad is pretty much the same, improving a little. River is not in our yard anymore, so I can once again focus all energy on Dad. your words are much appreciated <3

your prayers are so appreciated, kath. Basil gives the best hugs right now, you know?? pups know when they need to give extra. :)

13. Marty says

Many prayers to you and your Father Kris. I pray that he’s getting the best care that he can and you do what you can to support him by taking care of yourself. I pray that your home is damaged by the flooding either.

thank you, Marty – your prayers and messages mean a lot. he is receiving exceptional care, and he is incredibly strong and positive.

Basil has been SO good to me – they know when something is up, you know?? thank you for your thoughts – and I’m glad you gave some extra hugs! :)

So sorry to hear.. my dad fought (and beat) cancer. It was incredibly hard for the family but he was SO strong. Just envision your family coming out the other side of the ordeal. Sending my best wishes.

I am envisioning that, Eleah! :) I have seen this enough to know that attitude and positive energy means SO much – so we are positive and surrounding him with strength and love. thank you so much.

15. Natasha says

There are no words at times…I’m very sorry that your father is suffering, and so is your family. Please know there are so many who love your blog…and I think that you should try to keep in touch – it can be something to draw strength from…If your dad is able to have you make him some nutrient rich smoothies – do it girl. I’m sending you love and light.
    – Natasha from Nova Scotia

Natasha, thank you! I know what you mean about no words, but yours are wonderful and mean a great deal to me! Right now Dad is on a feeding tube, but as soon as I possibly can I WILL be making him smoothies and all sorts of healing foods! Sometimes I am so exhausted (and I have no words!) but yes, I know it is helpful to stay in touch when I can… today is a good day so I am! thank you, you gave me a punch of energy!

• Natasha says

:) Thank you for taking the time! Your blog has helped me through many a rough day…I laugh at Basil, drool over your food, and love your flare! Today it is pouring, my life is in a bit of a ahem…”shit storm” as I like to call it…so – today – I took a nice hot shower, cleaned my kitchen, and talked myself off of the proverbial “mental ledge”, AND! tonight….I will be making Raw Sauerkraut in my fermenting crock for the first time! Draw yourself a hot epsom salts bath, soak, slather some coconut oil on (or whatever feels good) – pour yourself a glass of wine (have some water after your bath first) and snuggle with Mr. Basil…xo Natasha

I’m sorry you are going through this. I hope it’s a “good” cancer that is curable. My thoughts are with you guys. Big hugs!!!!!

thank you so much, Andrea! yard is no longer under water, our river is still high but WAY down! I appreciate your thoughts XO