caramelized onion bacon dip

oh boy.

This weekend is big in football. There are some great playoff matchups to be seen, including the Patriots possibly getting Tebowed, and the Packers playing the Giants.

Holy Aaron Rodgers, that’s about enough football talk!

Go Packers! Okay, that’s enough talk.

Let’s talk about what goes with football. What you need to make this weekend, whether you are watching football or the Golden Globes (come on, that is going to be crazy, you can’t not watch).

No matter what you have going on this weekend, you need need need to addΒ this caramelized onion bacon dip recipe to your plans.

I guarantee it will be a home run.

wait

This is seriously one of the most decadent things I have eaten in a while. Sweet caramelized onions, smoky bacon and creamy cheesy goodness on vehicles of crunchy veggies and light gluten free crisps.

I had to put my own spin on it, subbing my cashew cream for the sour cream. I also think I used more cheese, I don’t really know. When I am grating I lose track of ounces.

ShoshanaΒ also suggests only 1/4 cup of the “bacon” if you want more of the onion sweetness to come through, and that is what I did. The bacon and onion flavors are perfect that way, neither overpowers the other.

This recipe (with my extra cheese…) filled two 3.5 inch ramekins. You might want to double the recipe. I’m making it again and that’s what I’m doing.

Touchdown!

What are you doing this weekend? Any football or Ricky Gervais in the plans?

Comments

I was thinking of using tempeh bacon, I’m sure it would work great! these crisps are SO good, and I cannot recall where I got them! I bought them on a whim and they’ve been in the pantry for a while… need to find more because they are good!

Looking at this I’d have no idea that it was vegan! I love it, although I’d probably make a “normal” version and go all out with the real stuff πŸ˜‰
    No football over here, as always our weekends are filled with baby events for other people. This time around….a christening.

perhaps the baby wants to try the dip? πŸ˜‰ bacon is essential to the christening process, right?

in all seriousness, this dip is amazing as the recipe is, and I’m sure it’s even better the real way πŸ˜‰ Shh, don’t tell anyone I said that!

I’m not sure which of the following makes me happier:

1. The idea of this dip.
    2. The new blog you’ve introduced to me.
    3. That my dad would love you because you love the Packers.

I admit, I’ve sort of been anti-“products that are pretending to be something they aren’t” but sometimes, you need some fake bacon and cheese in your life.

weeee! I like all three of those things.

and yes, for the most part, you know I pretty much stick to things running around as themselves. you know, like kale being kale and spinach being pancakes. πŸ˜‰ but every now and then, EVERYONE needs to try this dip!!

πŸ˜€

Go Packers!! tell your dad I say hello.

I didn’t either?? I suppose I must have known there is a fake bacon… I’m just never in that part of the store! :) this dip is SO worth it, though… oh my SO good!

HAHAHA!!! This is hilarious! We have GOT to stop watching Wheel at the same time. I’m tapping into your mind (wait a minute, this is actually a very good thing, nevermind). I have this recipe saved on my computer as well, a new container of vegan cream cheese waiting to be used, and a mouth that is drooling over the idea of this dip. It will be made this week! What did you end up using for bacon–the Bacos? I can’t make my mind up :)

of COURSE you were going to make this!! and Oh My Stars you NEED to! it is phenomenal.

I can’t recall the brand of bacon I got – they weren’t Bacos, my store didn’t even have those… there was only ONE kind that was the fake bacon, made of soy… it was in a jar like the others, sorry I can’t remember the name? (I’m not at home… I will look when I get there and let you know!). anyway, I found them in the aisle where the salad dressings are…

MAKE THIS. DO IT. SOON. πŸ˜€

• says

Hey, don’t yell at me! I’m sensitive :)
        Okay, going to the store to get fake bacon and making this on Sunday. You happy???! I know I will be.

I had to make sure you were listening, this dip is important. πŸ˜‰ yes, your Sunday will be most enjoyable now, I AM happy… I really wish I could be there! πŸ˜€

I think I can smell this from here. Wowza, mmm. I was looking for a fun alternative to my hummus obsession and this could do it. Great for a party no doubt. Who doesn’t love bacon?!

Go Green Bay! :) seriously – you NEED to make this on Sunday, and a double batch for sure. even if there aren’t many people around, you’ll wish you had more to save and heat up… which it does very nicely! ENJOY!

haa haa – balls. you can focus on this dip only, then. it is THAT good. are you watching Ricky on Sunday, then? he’s sure to be pretty brutal!

• says

perhaps :) I try to keep my television watching to a minimum or else I get carried away. It’s: Grey’s Anatomy, The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Amazing Race (when it’s on), Fringe, CSI, and the occasional run in with Mantracker. See? I get carried away…

• says

perhaps :) I try to keep my television watching to a minimum or else I get carried away. It’s: Grey’s Anatomy, The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Amazing Race (when it’s on), Fringe, CSI, and the occasional run in with Mantracker. See? I get carried away…

yep – getting to the exciting part of the season, for sure! πŸ˜‰ I’m hoping to watch the Golden Globes too – I’m sure Gervais is going to be pretty crazy.

GAAH, that was such a rough game. so cool you got to go, though. we won it all last year, let’s just think of that πŸ˜‰

…and yes, this dip makes everything better…

I was sick all weekend and watched all the games. I’m a Ravens fan and my husband is a Patriots fan, so we are very excited about next Sunday’s game! Funny enough, I’m doing a vegan potluck for it. We did that for the superbowl two years ago and it was awesome! My friend Brie made the BEST ribs from the Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutes (http://vegansubs.wordpress.com/) cookbook. Have you ever read it? It’s my vegan bible!

hi Lauren – that is so funny you bring this up, I was recently sent this book from the publisher! I met the author over the summer, but had not seen this book until they sent it! I hate to say I have not had time to even look through it yet, but I will be looking for those ribs! :) have a great weekend – hope you are feeling better and, Go Football! πŸ˜‰

Trackbacks