caramelized onion bacon dip

in appetizers, Gluten Free, Vegan

oh boy.

This weekend is big in football. There are some great playoff matchups to be seen, including the Patriots possibly getting Tebowed, and the Packers playing the Giants.

Holy Aaron Rodgers, that’s about enough football talk!

Go Packers! Okay, that’s enough talk.

Let’s talk about what goes with football. What you need to make this weekend, whether you are watching football or the Golden Globes (come on, that is going to be crazy, you can’t not watch).

No matter what you have going on this weekend, you need need need to add this caramelized onion bacon dip recipe to your plans.

I guarantee it will be a home run.

wait

This is seriously one of the most decadent things I have eaten in a while. Sweet caramelized onions, smoky bacon and creamy cheesy goodness on vehicles of crunchy veggies and light gluten free crisps.

I had to put my own spin on it, subbing my cashew cream for the sour cream. I also think I used more cheese, I don’t really know. When I am grating I lose track of ounces.

Shoshana also suggests only 1/4 cup of the “bacon” if you want more of the onion sweetness to come through, and that is what I did. The bacon and onion flavors are perfect that way, neither overpowers the other.

This recipe (with my extra cheese…) filled two 3.5 inch ramekins. You might want to double the recipe. I’m making it again and that’s what I’m doing.

Touchdown!

What are you doing this weekend? Any football or Ricky Gervais in the plans?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 13, 2012 at 5:49 am

How well do you think a tempeh bacon would work? Love the idea of the caramelized onions. And love those light airy crisps.

2 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I was thinking of using tempeh bacon, I’m sure it would work great! these crisps are SO good, and I cannot recall where I got them! I bought them on a whim and they’ve been in the pantry for a while… need to find more because they are good!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 13, 2012 at 6:05 am

Looking at this I’d have no idea that it was vegan! I love it, although I’d probably make a “normal” version and go all out with the real stuff ;)
No football over here, as always our weekends are filled with baby events for other people. This time around….a christening.

4 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm

perhaps the baby wants to try the dip? ;) bacon is essential to the christening process, right?

in all seriousness, this dip is amazing as the recipe is, and I’m sure it’s even better the real way ;) Shh, don’t tell anyone I said that!

5 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 13, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’m not sure which of the following makes me happier:

1. The idea of this dip.
2. The new blog you’ve introduced to me.
3. That my dad would love you because you love the Packers.

I admit, I’ve sort of been anti-“products that are pretending to be something they aren’t” but sometimes, you need some fake bacon and cheese in your life.

6 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:55 pm

weeee! I like all three of those things.

and yes, for the most part, you know I pretty much stick to things running around as themselves. you know, like kale being kale and spinach being pancakes. ;) but every now and then, EVERYONE needs to try this dip!!

:D

Go Packers!! tell your dad I say hello.

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 13, 2012 at 6:34 am

This will make my boys sooooo happy!

8 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:54 pm

oh, Sarena, please make it for them! :D

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 13, 2012 at 6:46 am

This look AMAZING, I had no idea Bacos were vegan! Looks like a great party dip, just like you said. :)

10 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I didn’t either?? I suppose I must have known there is a fake bacon… I’m just never in that part of the store! :) this dip is SO worth it, though… oh my SO good!

11 Cara January 13, 2012 at 7:24 am

HAHAHA!!! This is hilarious! We have GOT to stop watching Wheel at the same time. I’m tapping into your mind (wait a minute, this is actually a very good thing, nevermind). I have this recipe saved on my computer as well, a new container of vegan cream cheese waiting to be used, and a mouth that is drooling over the idea of this dip. It will be made this week! What did you end up using for bacon–the Bacos? I can’t make my mind up :)

12 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

of COURSE you were going to make this!! and Oh My Stars you NEED to! it is phenomenal.

I can’t recall the brand of bacon I got – they weren’t Bacos, my store didn’t even have those… there was only ONE kind that was the fake bacon, made of soy… it was in a jar like the others, sorry I can’t remember the name? (I’m not at home… I will look when I get there and let you know!). anyway, I found them in the aisle where the salad dressings are…

MAKE THIS. DO IT. SOON. :D

13 Cara January 13, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hey, don’t yell at me! I’m sensitive :)
Okay, going to the store to get fake bacon and making this on Sunday. You happy???! I know I will be.

14 spabettie January 14, 2012 at 6:07 am

I had to make sure you were listening, this dip is important. ;) yes, your Sunday will be most enjoyable now, I AM happy… I really wish I could be there! :D

15 Nichole January 13, 2012 at 8:45 am

I think I can smell this from here. Wowza, mmm. I was looking for a fun alternative to my hummus obsession and this could do it. Great for a party no doubt. Who doesn’t love bacon?!

16 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

seriously – you NEED to try this, my friend!! I can’t believe how good it is! :)

17 Shoshana January 13, 2012 at 8:58 am

Thank you for the shout outs, glad you loved it as much as I did!!!

18 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm

oh my – we LOVE this!! I can’t get over how great it tastes. Making more this weekend for sure.

19 Lisa January 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oh my god I want this! Maybe I’m having a moment of weakness but I would eat all of that!

20 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I know – it truly is amazing. I can’t believe how great this tastes!

21 caitlin January 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Just made this, had one for lunch. Yes I did LOL.

IT IS SOOOO GOOD!! :)

22 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

you are so awesome.

23 Christin@purplebirdblog January 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Holyyyyyy hell BACON IN MY MOUF.

24 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

indeed. you need.

25 sarah @ sarah learns January 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm

i love you even more now that i know you’re a packers fan. :)

and for bringing this recipe into my life. holy aaron rodgers, you better bet i’m making a double batch on sunday!

26 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Go Green Bay! :) seriously – you NEED to make this on Sunday, and a double batch for sure. even if there aren’t many people around, you’ll wish you had more to save and heat up… which it does very nicely! ENJOY!

27 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty January 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

i’ll be honest. football = balls. and not in a good way. this dip on the other hand, is lookin mighty fine!

p.s. ricky gervais is cool.

28 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

haa haa – balls. you can focus on this dip only, then. it is THAT good. are you watching Ricky on Sunday, then? he’s sure to be pretty brutal!

29 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty January 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

perhaps :) I try to keep my television watching to a minimum or else I get carried away. It’s: Grey’s Anatomy, The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Amazing Race (when it’s on), Fringe, CSI, and the occasional run in with Mantracker. See? I get carried away…

30 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty January 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

perhaps :) I try to keep my television watching to a minimum or else I get carried away. It’s: Grey’s Anatomy, The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Amazing Race (when it’s on), Fringe, CSI, and the occasional run in with Mantracker. See? I get carried away…

31 Krista January 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Oh. This is going on the menu!

32 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

seriously. I cannot stress this enough. you will LOVE it. have a great weekend, Krista!

33 Steve @ the black peppercorn January 13, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I was talking about football in my post today as well! I can’t wait to watch even though my Falcons are out. hoh well!

34 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

sorry to hear that about your Falcons… maybe you can root for my Packers! :) have a great weekend!

35 Pure2raw Twins January 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm

lots of football going on lately ;) always a fun time.
I hope to watch the Golden Globes that is if I remember haha

36 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm

yep – getting to the exciting part of the season, for sure! ;) I’m hoping to watch the Golden Globes too – I’m sure Gervais is going to be pretty crazy.

37 Gloria Kersh January 14, 2012 at 5:27 am

I am so making this today –thanks for an awesome recipe

38 spabettie January 14, 2012 at 6:13 am

hi Gloria!! so glad you’re going to make this – Enjoy!!

39 Heather January 14, 2012 at 8:29 am

Bacon + Onion + Cheese = decadence!
Love, Love, love this!

Did I mention I think this is brillaint!

40 Julia January 15, 2012 at 5:34 am

Please please pleaseeeeeeeeeee post the recipe for your amazing heavenly looking vegan macarons??? :( http://www.spabettie.com/2011/09/16/vegan-macarons/

41 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 15, 2012 at 6:30 am

My first thought was, “Bacon?! This can’t be!” Then I looked up the recipe, and the world was in order again. ;)

42 FoodFeud January 15, 2012 at 7:31 am

I bought celery with the virtuous intentions of juicing it…now you tell me to dip it in bacon cheese dip??

43 Beth Michelle January 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ahhh this looks sooo good! A must make

44 Annie January 16, 2012 at 6:14 am

OMG this looks amazing! Must make ASAP. Rough Packers game…I was there, NO fun :(

45 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

GAAH, that was such a rough game. so cool you got to go, though. we won it all last year, let’s just think of that ;)

…and yes, this dip makes everything better…

46 natalie (the sweets life) January 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm

i am in serious depression over yesterday’s Packer game :( perhaps this dip would cheer me up?!

47 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:28 am

natalie, this would DEFINITELY cheer you up!

48 sara January 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This looks amazing! On my Super Bowl list! :)

49 Kris @Krazy_Kris January 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I can’t believe its not bacon!
Or, holy bacos batman!
Or, Sweet caramalized onions… ah ah ah (sung to the tune of Sweet Caroline)
xoxo

50 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

ah, this just made me smile so big, my friend! :)

51 hihorosie January 16, 2012 at 11:15 pm

love football, love award shows! this dip looks interesting and yummy! I bet it would fool most. ;)

52 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 17, 2012 at 6:51 am

I was sick all weekend and watched all the games. I’m a Ravens fan and my husband is a Patriots fan, so we are very excited about next Sunday’s game! Funny enough, I’m doing a vegan potluck for it. We did that for the superbowl two years ago and it was awesome! My friend Brie made the BEST ribs from the Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutes (http://vegansubs.wordpress.com/) cookbook. Have you ever read it? It’s my vegan bible!

53 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

hi Lauren – that is so funny you bring this up, I was recently sent this book from the publisher! I met the author over the summer, but had not seen this book until they sent it! I hate to say I have not had time to even look through it yet, but I will be looking for those ribs! :) have a great weekend – hope you are feeling better and, Go Football! ;)

54 Roz@weightingfor50 January 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hi Kris, another Spabettie recipe to bookmark!!!! This looks freakin’ delicious. Hope you are having a good Wed.

55 Jennifer March 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

we have also made this several times now, thanks for sharing that recipe with us!!