homemade Twinkies

Too much for you? I plead The Twinkie Defense.

My defense is that yes, things like this aren’t good for us all the time – but Twinkies make you happy.

Guys, did you hear? This childhood icon is in danger.

Jason always surprises me with a sweet treat at the start of my birthday month. The first couple years we were dating, it was a Twinkie. He even topped it with a lit candle. I rarely had Twinkies as a kid, but those Twinkies from Jason are my nostalgia.

I adapted my cake recipe to make a three pack of Twinkies. Vegan, gluten free, will only last a day Twinkies. Okay, maybe two days. Sorry, these won’t last as long as the legendary original.

Or perhaps they will – these are so easy to make. You don’t need a special shaped mold, you just need this.

Twinkie cake

makes three Twinkies

gluten, dairy and soy free, vegan

2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup butter (Earth Balance Soy Free)
1 tablespoon coconut spread (or use more butter)
1/3 cup maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour (gluten free AP)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Combine chia and water, set aside to gel. Cream butter, coconut spread, maple syrup and vanilla. Add chia, combine completely. Add flour and baking soda, combine.

Divide batter between three Twinkie molds. Bake at 350 for 25-27 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean. Cool completely.

This cake is not as spongy as a typical Twinkie – cut holes in the bottom to fill with your favorite whip.

You know when you pull a Twinkie off the white strip of paper, and some of the cake is left on the paper? That was always my favorite part. These Twinkies do the same thing!

Live on, little Twinkie.

1. ILoveJamesLipton says

LOVE THIS. seriously, can you get ANY more crafty?? I was here for your wasabi peanut butter cups (dang, woman, WOW!) and saw these, had to click immediately. these are the cutest and COOLEST I have ever seen. (and I have seen A LOT, haaaaa – especially here on your blog!!!).

kudos to you.

These are awesome! I actually might try these for my kids. I never had Twinkies as a kid either, but I remember the “lucky” kids getting them in their lunch. Now that I’m older I’m glad I didn’t get them in my lunch, haha. I love your memories of Twinkies – so sweet!

I know Heidi – I feel the same! I always coveted the foods my friends had, but now I REALLY APPRECIATE that everything was homemade in our house…

3. rebecca says

You’re a genius! I’ve never had a twinkie before, but I have had cream puffs and I can just predict how good (and unhealthy) they are! I may need to try & make these this weekend..possibly..:)

Seriously awesome! Maybe you can come out with and brand these healthy twinkies to take over the original ones that are not so god for you ; ) since they are going bankrupt, its your chance! HA!

Happy Thursday! <3

I’ve never had a Twinkie….. is it true that they NEVER go off? So full of preservatives or something? I think your version looks a million times better anyhow… there’s actually some nutrition in there :) Great technique of getting the shape too !

I don’t really know, but… it is what I’ve heard. eep! I think they are preserved like crazy, yes. yeah, I like mine better too… there’s really no chance these need to be around longer than a day anyway. πŸ˜‰

Did you hear that Hostess filed for bankruptcy the other day? I think you have a new business plan! I’ve made a vegan version from a Wheeler’s Ice Cream cookbook and I really liked it. The boys keep asking me to make them again. I need to give these a try now that you made them GF! Until about a year ago, my boys had never had a twinkie and really didn’t know what they were. I’m either a good mother or a bad mother depending on how you look at it. These look sinfully delicious!

I heard that this morning!

I never had Twinkies as a kid either – not at my house anyway. of course back then, I coveted all the bad stuff at my friends houses – white spongy bread, sliced cheese wrapped in plastic, Kool Aid!! Now I appreciate that everything was homemade at our house, though πŸ˜€

• says

The funny thing is that they had the homemade version (healthy cause you know me) first and then once I explained the original version. I bought them when they asked for them and they prefer the homemade ones. I don’t deny them, I just make my version first and then give them the chemicals…they’re smart. They know what tastes better!

hi Alisha, I cut three small holes in the bottom of the cakes (these are not as spongy as real Twinkies, more dense, especially being gluten free)and sprayed the whip in the holes… and the whip I used was store bought Soyatoo Rice Whip πŸ˜€

• says

How do you cut the holes? I saw in the picture but I’m still slightly confused…. Do you scoop out the cake? Or do put holes in the ends/ sides of the cake? Or do you cut it in half? >.< I'm lost. I apologize. ahahah. New to the whole vegan pastries thing… πŸ˜‰

hi Alisha! I cut the Twinkie in half just for the photo – so don’t think about that.

so, think about what a Twinkie looks like, you know the bottom, where you can see the white filling spots? on the bottom of these Twinkies, using a small knife I carved three small holes down the middle of the Twinkie, and yes I scooped out the cake – this recipe is more dense than a spongy Twinkie, I had to make room for the filling. Then I just filled the holes… I only cut it in half for the photo purposes :)

hope that helps? if not please do let me know… I hope these questions mean you are going to make these?? enjoy!

• says

Haha, I am definitely going to try and make them!! And I don’t want to mess it up, that’s why I’m asking all the questions πŸ˜‰

So you just cut the holes in the bottom of it or out of the middle/ sides of it? I think it makes sense now… Hopefully…

When we were registering for our wedding, the one and only thing my husband wanted to scan was the Twinkie maker set from bed bath & beyond. I wouldn’t let him and he still to this day talks about it. Maybe this is the solution! πŸ˜‰

aw! you should TOTALLY make these for him – maybe a surprise for Valentines Day?? the molds are SO easy to make, just double up the tin foil and they are strong! They end up looking pretty good if you kindof shape them round…

I love that you created a twinkie with real ingredients! amazing. I can’t recall the last time I ate a twinkie, but it’s been at least 20 years. I’d gladly sample one of these, though!

kinda fun, right? I never had them as a kid, so I cannot recall my first Twinkie either! but the ones Jason used to get me for birthdays were the best… :)

I KNOW!! this is the one I tried out for back in September!! :( I have written them to try to get an audition, I KNOW they’d love me!! (it’s all about personality, not skillz even though mine are DOPE).

we WERE watching at the same time!! yeee! XO

• says

I was wondering about that. It feels so long ago, however, that I thought, for sure this must be a different trip. Vanna and Pat sure plan far in advance. Not sure WHY they didn’t ask you to be on there, let alone star in it, for reals. I’d be doing the robo cop for you the entire time :)

I know, I am super bummed. the tryouts are SO fun, though – if they are ever in your area you NEED to go. you stand around in line a long time, then the chances of you actually getting picked to get onstage to try out are next to nothing, but you get to see people go through a “mini game” and you can meet the guy who plays “Pat” on the road – he is crazy awesome. I am jealous of his job.

one day… one day… I WILL be on Wheel. πŸ˜‰

sometimes it’s better to not know what you’re missing… although many will argue you’re not missing much? it’s more of a iconic institution, I think, rather than an actual thing that tastes good? :) these, however… do taste good!

Oh man, back in the day they had a special edition Twinkie that had a strawberry goo inside with the cream filling… those were my favorite, and a little strawberry puree in these would be divine! I scanned the comments and am happy to be the first one to point out… your middle Twinkie mold tooootally looks like a penis. Just sayin’. πŸ˜‰

I agree—if twinkies make you happy you should eat them once in a while. However, it does sound like DIY twinkies will be more and more popular. I’m positive I’d enjoy your twinkie more than a “real” one!

I have a little ‘twinkie nostalgia’ because it’s the nickname my family gave me as a baby, and my mom STILL calls me ‘Twink.’ A healthy version, count.me. IN!!!!!

My boyfriend was right behind me when I pulled up this blog. He gets these once-a-year craving for Twinkies. And now I may have to make him some… thanks… πŸ˜‰

No, but really, they look awesome. I like it! These are Twinkies I would definitely eat. Not the real ones.

ha, I know, it was pretty good timing. I cannot take credit for the mold, but it IS genius and works SO well!! these were really fun to make.

13. Crystal T says

I made these today!! you are a GENIUS with this recipe, I love it and will be using it for regular cakes and cupcakes too. gluten free will always be different, but it does not have to be difficult – thank you for showing me this!!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

14. Jane King says

you are right, a Twinkie is such an icon, even if we never eat them. I love this version and will be making for my kiddos! thank you,

J King

15. Kim says

I made these today, even using the homemade tin moulds! I think you have a super heavy duty tin, yes? mine took several layers to stand up, LOL.

but aside, THESE ARE SO GOOD!! and SO FUN!! my kiddoes love them, and I love that they are pretty “clean” as a Twinkie goes, right? thank you Coco!

16. Winnie says

made your twinkies for my sweetie and kids for Valentines, even wrapped them up and tied with a bow! made some with strawberry filling (remember those??) which were perfect for today. thank you for the recipe! <3

aw, good! glad you like them, I bet they looked great decorated for Valentines! um, HOW did I miss the strawberry?? :)

17. Jeremy says

this is the greatest thing I have ever seen!! and I can make it now, right now, because of those awesome molds!! thank you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Fiona! I made the gel (egg replacer) using whole chia – I also do this using ground flax seeds (so ground chia would most likely work as well). What you’re looking for is a thick gel – stir together and place in the fridge for a few minutes.

enjoy – these Twinkies are fun!