homemade Twinkies

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

Too much for you? I plead The Twinkie Defense.

My defense is that yes, things like this aren’t good for us all the time – but Twinkies make you happy.

Guys, did you hear? This childhood icon is in danger.

Jason always surprises me with a sweet treat at the start of my birthday month. The first couple years we were dating, it was a Twinkie. He even topped it with a lit candle. I rarely had Twinkies as a kid, but those Twinkies from Jason are my nostalgia.

I adapted my cake recipe to make a three pack of Twinkies. Vegan, gluten free, will only last a day Twinkies. Okay, maybe two days. Sorry, these won’t last as long as the legendary original.

Or perhaps they will – these are so easy to make. You don’t need a special shaped mold, you just need this.

Twinkie cake

makes three Twinkies

gluten, dairy and soy free, vegan

2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup butter (Earth Balance Soy Free)
1 tablespoon coconut spread (or use more butter)
1/3 cup maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour (gluten free AP)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Combine chia and water, set aside to gel. Cream butter, coconut spread, maple syrup and vanilla. Add chia, combine completely. Add flour and baking soda, combine.

Divide batter between three Twinkie molds. Bake at 350 for 25-27 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean. Cool completely.

This cake is not as spongy as a typical Twinkie – cut holes in the bottom to fill with your favorite whip.

You know when you pull a Twinkie off the white strip of paper, and some of the cake is left on the paper? That was always my favorite part. These Twinkies do the same thing!

Live on, little Twinkie.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Ok, these are Twinkies you don’t have to feel guilty about eating – and maybe with some of that Baileys :-)

2 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm

ha – yep, or a Baileys flavored filling?? OH MY.

3 ILoveJamesLipton January 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

LOVE THIS. seriously, can you get ANY more crafty?? I was here for your wasabi peanut butter cups (dang, woman, WOW!) and saw these, had to click immediately. these are the cutest and COOLEST I have ever seen. (and I have seen A LOT, haaaaa – especially here on your blog!!!).

kudos to you.

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm

These are awesome! I actually might try these for my kids. I never had Twinkies as a kid either, but I remember the “lucky” kids getting them in their lunch. Now that I’m older I’m glad I didn’t get them in my lunch, haha. I love your memories of Twinkies – so sweet!

5 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I know Heidi – I feel the same! I always coveted the foods my friends had, but now I REALLY APPRECIATE that everything was homemade in our house…

6 rebecca January 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

You’re a genius! I’ve never had a twinkie before, but I have had cream puffs and I can just predict how good (and unhealthy) they are! I may need to try & make these this weekend..possibly..:)

7 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I hope you do, Rebecca! they are SO fun, really tasty and … SO fun! :)

8 Phil January 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

awesome!

9 katie January 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Seriously awesome! Maybe you can come out with and brand these healthy twinkies to take over the original ones that are not so god for you ; ) since they are going bankrupt, its your chance! HA!

Happy Thursday! <3

10 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm

weee! here I go!

happy Thursday to you too, Katie!! XO

11 Lisa January 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

YUM! I bet your version is much better.

12 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

they really are… :)

13 Nancy B. January 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

LOL. Very timely – I just read that Hostess is declaring bankruptcy. GF rules!! Ho hos may have to be next.

14 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Mmm, ho hos, I’ll add them to my list! ;)

15 Lou January 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ve never had a Twinkie….. is it true that they NEVER go off? So full of preservatives or something? I think your version looks a million times better anyhow… there’s actually some nutrition in there :) Great technique of getting the shape too !

16 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I don’t really know, but… it is what I’ve heard. eep! I think they are preserved like crazy, yes. yeah, I like mine better too… there’s really no chance these need to be around longer than a day anyway. ;)

17 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

you’re never going to believe this…I was JUST on this blog RIGHT BEFORE I came to you and left a comment.

I also just pinned them.

And I preblogged in my Thurs Things post for next week that I want a twinkie pan.

And now I see this. The universe wants me to make twinkies!

Yours look AMAZING! WOW!!!!

18 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

ha… that’s funny. go get that Twinkie pan!

19 Amanda January 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Gluten-free twinkies?!?!!? I am way too excited to try these, though I admit I’ve only had 1 or 2 regular twinkies in my life.

20 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I know, these were SO fun to make. I was excited too. like giggling alone in my kitchen excited. :D

21 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Did you hear that Hostess filed for bankruptcy the other day? I think you have a new business plan! I’ve made a vegan version from a Wheeler’s Ice Cream cookbook and I really liked it. The boys keep asking me to make them again. I need to give these a try now that you made them GF! Until about a year ago, my boys had never had a twinkie and really didn’t know what they were. I’m either a good mother or a bad mother depending on how you look at it. These look sinfully delicious!

22 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I heard that this morning!

I never had Twinkies as a kid either – not at my house anyway. of course back then, I coveted all the bad stuff at my friends houses – white spongy bread, sliced cheese wrapped in plastic, Kool Aid!! Now I appreciate that everything was homemade at our house, though :D

23 spabettiemom January 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

THANKS, SWEETIE…..I totally 404’d it again; so I have no idea where my first one went…..OOPSIE!!!!!

24 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm

so yeah, what I meant to say – A GOOD MOTHER! ;)

25 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 12, 2012 at 6:59 pm

The funny thing is that they had the homemade version (healthy cause you know me) first and then once I explained the original version. I bought them when they asked for them and they prefer the homemade ones. I don’t deny them, I just make my version first and then give them the chemicals…they’re smart. They know what tastes better!

26 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm

smart little Twinkies you have :) (and a good cook you are!)

27 Alisha January 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

So how do you get the whip in through the holes? And I can’t find the vegan whip recipe… :/

They look soo tasty though!

28 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

hi Alisha, I cut three small holes in the bottom of the cakes (these are not as spongy as real Twinkies, more dense, especially being gluten free)and sprayed the whip in the holes… and the whip I used was store bought Soyatoo Rice Whip :D

29 Alisha January 13, 2012 at 11:27 pm

How do you cut the holes? I saw in the picture but I’m still slightly confused…. Do you scoop out the cake? Or do put holes in the ends/ sides of the cake? Or do you cut it in half? >.< I'm lost. I apologize. ahahah. New to the whole vegan pastries thing… ;)

30 spabettie January 14, 2012 at 6:11 am

hi Alisha! I cut the Twinkie in half just for the photo – so don’t think about that.

so, think about what a Twinkie looks like, you know the bottom, where you can see the white filling spots? on the bottom of these Twinkies, using a small knife I carved three small holes down the middle of the Twinkie, and yes I scooped out the cake – this recipe is more dense than a spongy Twinkie, I had to make room for the filling. Then I just filled the holes… I only cut it in half for the photo purposes :)

hope that helps? if not please do let me know… I hope these questions mean you are going to make these?? enjoy!

31 Alisha January 14, 2012 at 9:48 am

Haha, I am definitely going to try and make them!! And I don’t want to mess it up, that’s why I’m asking all the questions ;)

So you just cut the holes in the bottom of it or out of the middle/ sides of it? I think it makes sense now… Hopefully…

32 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca January 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

omg, my hero. I have all the ingredients! Just wish I had a Twinkie mold :D

33 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:40 pm

do you have tin foil?? seriously, they are SO easy to make!! DO IT :D

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

When we were registering for our wedding, the one and only thing my husband wanted to scan was the Twinkie maker set from bed bath & beyond. I wouldn’t let him and he still to this day talks about it. Maybe this is the solution! ;)

35 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:40 pm

aw! you should TOTALLY make these for him – maybe a surprise for Valentines Day?? the molds are SO easy to make, just double up the tin foil and they are strong! They end up looking pretty good if you kindof shape them round…

36 Gregory G January 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

you are too cute. I should have known!

37 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Twinkies are totally going to be sold at our dream bakery ;) Love the homemade mold, too!

38 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

yes Yes YES!! we could get a real mold, though…

39 Dorry January 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I love that you created a twinkie with real ingredients! amazing. I can’t recall the last time I ate a twinkie, but it’s been at least 20 years. I’d gladly sample one of these, though!

40 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

kinda fun, right? I never had them as a kid, so I cannot recall my first Twinkie either! but the ones Jason used to get me for birthdays were the best… :)

41 Gloria January 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

these are so fun!! I would take this over a twinkie any day!!

42 Cara January 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Wheel of Fortune is coming to Portlandia!!! Eeeeeee. I’m bringing the Twinkies!!!

43 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I KNOW!! this is the one I tried out for back in September!! :( I have written them to try to get an audition, I KNOW they’d love me!! (it’s all about personality, not skillz even though mine are DOPE).

we WERE watching at the same time!! yeee! XO

44 Cara January 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

I was wondering about that. It feels so long ago, however, that I thought, for sure this must be a different trip. Vanna and Pat sure plan far in advance. Not sure WHY they didn’t ask you to be on there, let alone star in it, for reals. I’d be doing the robo cop for you the entire time :)

45 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I know, I am super bummed. the tryouts are SO fun, though – if they are ever in your area you NEED to go. you stand around in line a long time, then the chances of you actually getting picked to get onstage to try out are next to nothing, but you get to see people go through a “mini game” and you can meet the guy who plays “Pat” on the road – he is crazy awesome. I am jealous of his job.

one day… one day… I WILL be on Wheel. ;)

46 beti January 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I immediately bookmarked this recipe it is now on the top of my to do list, thanks for sharing!

47 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I hope you love them, Beti! :)

48 Eil January 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Oh, I *will* be trying this recipe this weekend.

49 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

oh, good – I hope you do!! :)

50 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 13, 2012 at 4:48 am

I’ve always wanted to try a twinkie but my Mom never let me. Then I went off gluten… so I’ve never ever had one! Love the recipe, and that they’re gluten free!!

51 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

sometimes it’s better to not know what you’re missing… although many will argue you’re not missing much? it’s more of a iconic institution, I think, rather than an actual thing that tastes good? :) these, however… do taste good!

52 Beth Michelle January 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

I loved twinkies growing up. Havent had one in ages. These are amazing!

53 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm

thank you, Beth Michelle! they were really fun to make… AND to eat! :)

54 Miel January 13, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thank you, you beautiful person, for making these! Cannot express how amazing these look!

55 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm

you are so welcome, Miel!! :D I hope you make them yourself??

56 Curt January 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Awesome recipe. I’ll be making that one for sure!

57 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

they’re really fun – I hope you do! hmm, a grilled Twinkie, perhaps??

58 caitlin January 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

These are awesome! You are so creative. :)

59 Christin@purplebirdblog January 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Oh man, back in the day they had a special edition Twinkie that had a strawberry goo inside with the cream filling… those were my favorite, and a little strawberry puree in these would be divine! I scanned the comments and am happy to be the first one to point out… your middle Twinkie mold tooootally looks like a penis. Just sayin’. ;)

60 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

haa HAAA, oh Christin I have missed your more improper comments ;) I never saw the strawberry Twinkie?? wow!

61 Christin@purplebirdblog January 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I figured you’d like that. ;) I sent you my # on Facebook… text me soon!

62 Lisa B January 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I agree—if twinkies make you happy you should eat them once in a while. However, it does sound like DIY twinkies will be more and more popular. I’m positive I’d enjoy your twinkie more than a “real” one!

63 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

yep – I’m sure enjoying them more… :)

64 Amy January 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm

This is awsome! I would never eat a regular twinkie, but I would be all over these vegan beauties :)!

65 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm

so fun, right? :) I wish I could share these with everybody!

66 Julia January 14, 2012 at 4:46 am

I have a little ‘twinkie nostalgia’ because it’s the nickname my family gave me as a baby, and my mom STILL calls me ‘Twink.’ A healthy version, count.me. IN!!!!!

67 spabettie January 14, 2012 at 6:13 am

aw – cute story, ‘Twinkie’ !! :D I hope you try these!

68 julie@mightyvegan January 14, 2012 at 5:12 am

You are killing me with all of these fantastic looking sweets!

69 spabettie January 14, 2012 at 6:13 am

:D these were just too fun, I had to…

70 (what runs) Lori January 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

My boyfriend was right behind me when I pulled up this blog. He gets these once-a-year craving for Twinkies. And now I may have to make him some… thanks… ;)

No, but really, they look awesome. I like it! These are Twinkies I would definitely eat. Not the real ones.

Yum!

71 Shary January 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I want to make these!! I saw a twinkie pan once, like a muffin but shaped like a twinkie.

72 Tiffany January 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Kudos to you–these look amazing!!

73 hihorosie January 16, 2012 at 11:40 pm

ha ha! That’s awesome!

74 Eva February 5, 2012 at 4:38 am

great recipe and mold technique! nice timing about the Twinkie troubles, you cannot PLAN that kind of thing!!

75 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

ha, I know, it was pretty good timing. I cannot take credit for the mold, but it IS genius and works SO well!! these were really fun to make.

76 Crystal T February 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I made these today!! you are a GENIUS with this recipe, I love it and will be using it for regular cakes and cupcakes too. gluten free will always be different, but it does not have to be difficult – thank you for showing me this!!! :D :D

77 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm

thanks, Crystal! so happy you like them. did you make them into twinkies?

78 Jane King February 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

you are right, a Twinkie is such an icon, even if we never eat them. I love this version and will be making for my kiddos! thank you,

J King

79 spabettie February 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

I hope you all love them, Jane! :)

80 Geri February 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

so inventive, they look very cute!

81 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 11, 2012 at 6:32 am

I’ve never heard of Twinkies before, but they *do* look a little retro. :D

82 Kim February 13, 2012 at 6:18 am

I made these today, even using the homemade tin moulds! I think you have a super heavy duty tin, yes? mine took several layers to stand up, LOL.

but aside, THESE ARE SO GOOD!! and SO FUN!! my kiddoes love them, and I love that they are pretty “clean” as a Twinkie goes, right? thank you Coco!

83 Winnie February 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

made your twinkies for my sweetie and kids for Valentines, even wrapped them up and tied with a bow! made some with strawberry filling (remember those??) which were perfect for today. thank you for the recipe! <3

84 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

aw, good! glad you like them, I bet they looked great decorated for Valentines! um, HOW did I miss the strawberry?? :)

85 Jeremy August 15, 2012 at 3:40 am

this is the greatest thing I have ever seen!! and I can make it now, right now, because of those awesome molds!! thank you!

86 spabettie August 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

yeah Jeremy! please let me know how it goes, hope you love them!

87 Taylor August 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

incredible! you simply fashion a tin and decide to make a twinkie, brilliant!

88 Laura Beckett November 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

You are SO the BEST. : )

89 Kristina Sloggett November 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

awww, YAY! I love comments from friends! XO

90 Fiona January 13, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Excited to make these. Should the chia seeds be whole or ground? Thanks!

91 Kristina Sloggett January 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm

hi Fiona! I made the gel (egg replacer) using whole chia – I also do this using ground flax seeds (so ground chia would most likely work as well). What you’re looking for is a thick gel – stir together and place in the fridge for a few minutes.

enjoy – these Twinkies are fun!