tempeh edamame salad rolls with ginger sesame peanut sauce

in Basil is a Young Sportsman, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Basil is a smart pup.

He has a touch of separation anxiety, and hates to be left alone. We have this retro style couch that sits on tall legs, and when he sees us put shoes and coats on, he slinks under the couch. We crate him when we are out, thus the couch slinking.

Sometimes I can grab his leash to take him on a short walk before I leave, and he will come running.

Yesterday he was onto me – he wouldn’t budge. Not for a walk, not even for a peanut butter spoon.

Yes, sometimes a spoon into his peanut butter jar is an effective bribe.

Yes, Basil has his own peanut butter jar. It has his name on it. He eats peanut butter out of a Kong, and sometimes double dipping happens.

He needs his own jar.

I made a great sauce for these salad rolls, using the other peanut butter jar. The one for the humans.

tempeh edamame salad rolls

vegan, gluten free

makes 6 rolls

1 block tempeh
3 tablespoons ginger sesame peanut dressing (recipe below)
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
6 rice paper wrappers

2 cups edamame
2 cups cabbage slaw

Spread ginger sesame peanut dressing over tempeh, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Cut into six strips, one for each roll.

Meanwhile, prep ingredients for easy assembly – have one large round plate to roll on, one large plate with water to dip wrappers in.

To make spring roll: dip rice paper in warm water for 5 seconds*. Place on plate, crumble one tempeh strip down middle, leaving one inch on each end and 2-3 inches on each side. Layer 1/6 edamame and slaw over tempeh. Fold the one inch ends over and press down, so the rice paper sticks to itself. Turn to one long end and begin rolling tightly, folding over and rolling completely closed.

*After 5 seconds the rice paper will still feel firm – this is normal, do not soak longer. It continues to soften and is easy to work with if only soaked 5 seconds. Longer soaking may result in holes or tears in the rice paper.

Serve with ginger sesame peanut dressing as a dipping sauce. You could also drizzle it over the roll filling before rolling.

ginger sesame peanut dressing

dairy and gluten free, vegan

1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce (organic tamari gluten free)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds

Combine all ingredients in blender at high speed. Store in refrigerator if there are leftovers.

Basil eventually came out from under the couch yesterday. After I moved it.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 11, 2012 at 5:19 am

Surely you already know that I am loving these. Great tip on soaking the wraps. The urge is to let them soak longer.

2 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

yep, I figured you would! :) I’ve made rice paper wraps so many times by now, I kinda have it down. You do feel like they need to be in there longer, but they continue to soften… so much easier to work with that way! :)

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 5:28 am

I thought we ALL needed our own peanut butter jar? [Or two, or three…or eleven…]

This reminds me of the time I tried to make an almond butter sesame sauce and failed. Maybe I should try YOUR recipe. ;)

4 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm

yep, we all should have our own jar. (Basil actually has two – peanut butter and almond butter). ;)

5 Nichole January 11, 2012 at 6:12 am

I hate it when they give you those human eyes, don’t leave! Aww it was bad when pb doesn’t do a thing. poor B!

If I show my husband this we are going to have to make it, but don’t count on it looking as good as what you have done. Sesame peanut sauce — I might try that on chicken:)

6 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

GAAH, I know!! I take Basil with me as often as I can, you know. ;) If I just have to run in a place quickly where I can see my car, I’ll take him with. He has set my car alarm off several times, though – I don’t know how he does it, but it is hilarious! little sweetie.

I bet this sauce would be GREAT on chicken – brock brock! ;)

7 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 11, 2012 at 6:35 am

I’ve had a package of rice paper rolls in my pantry for probably 5 years… do they ever go bad? :) I will go through phases of making “summer rolls,” but there are like 100 of those wrappers in a pack!
Whenever we order summer rolls from our local Vietnamese take-out place, I have to hold myself back from drinking the peanut sauce.
And by the way, your recipe looks sooooo gooooooood.

8 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

ha, yep the peanut sauce is drinkable, for sure. :)

I’ve had a few people ask me about the shelf life of these wrappers – I haven’t had any for five years, but… I do keep them a while. I always keep mine in the original package, then inside a ziplock bag with the air squeezed out. are yours pretty well sealed? they might be okay, since they do have to be rehydrated… I don’t know – maybe just try one?

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

Haha, Ginger used to do the same thing (except just run around the house b/c she’s too big to fit under a couch) when we crated her. I swear they can sense it coming.
I can think of so many things that dressing would be amazing on. There would definitely be no leftovers over here to store!

10 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

it does make me laugh, poor pups (I’m picturing Ginger just running around, away from you). Basil will run into the bedroom under the bed if possible, bigger area to hide under, we can’t get to him as easily. ;)

yes, this dressing – I’ve already made multiple batches and it’s been a salad dressing and um… I put it on savory oatmeal the other day. ha!

11 Ashley January 11, 2012 at 6:50 am

That dressing has such a beautiful color. I always love your pictures!

Basil is a lucky dog, having his own peanut butter jar and all. :)

12 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm

thank you Ashley, this time of year it is especially nice to get positive comments about my photos, the natural light is not plentiful right now… and YAY, it’s just good to “see” you here!

13 Allie January 11, 2012 at 6:56 am

Well, you know I like my rolls–and these definitely wouldn’t be an exception! I love making spring rolls, and these sound particularly delicious. Or maybe it’s just that sauce…I think I’d eat that with a spoon ;)

14 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

rollin’ rollin’:D and yep, this sauce is definitely spoonable. I love spring rolls too, I think these are the best I’ve made recently.

15 Shannon Roche January 11, 2012 at 7:01 am

Yum! I’m not generally the biggest fan of tempeh, unless it tastes like bacon, but I think I might give these a chance.

16 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I hope you do, Shannon, and I hope they live up to something as good as bacon tempeh! :)

17 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 11, 2012 at 7:18 am

These are seriously beautiful! Definitely sounds like something I’d love.

18 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

thank you Alayna!

19 meg January 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

Wow, tasty! I have never seen tempeh look so appetizing.

Actually, that’s not a bad idea to have a separate pb jar for the dog. Sounds very logical and sanitary to me! My dog is pretty good when he sees me putting on my shoes/coat. He’ll go wait in the laundry room (where he stays when I’m out) even if the light isn’t on! That or he gets excited and thinks he’s coming with.

20 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

wow, that’s pretty awesome your pup will go to his space when you’re leaving! we adopted Basil so I don’t know the reasons for his quirky behavior, poor thing. I take him with me as much as I can ;)

21 STUFT Mama January 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

OMG- I want these RIGHT NOW!!! My two favorites (tempeh and peanut butter) in one delicious wrap. Everytime I read your blog I want to come to your house. :)
Have yo uever tried freezing the Kong with peanut butter in it? It’s awesome and entertains them for longer. Basil would love it!

22 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I forgot all about freezing the peanut butter inside the Kong – I will have to do that again! He sure loves that Kong – I sometimes push a greenie in there, those take him a long time to get out!

and I would LOVE to cook for you – come on over!!

23 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

Crazy dog – I would have come running out for a PB spoon. :)

These wraps look great. I really like that you used tempeh in them – filling enough for lunch!

24 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I know – I figured that would do it. He’s on to me, I tell ya. I need new tactics! :D

and yes – between the tempeh and the edamame, these make a great lunch!

25 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

gorgeous! and that 1st pic, the way the light is hitting it, I think Vegetarian Times called and want to use your photography :)

26 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

haa haa, well thanks, Averie. that would be pretty awesome, indeed ;)

27 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt January 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Mmmm…I love spring rolls. Same question as Lauren though…do these papers ever go bad?!

28 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have had this current package for a few months – I keep them in the package they come in, then seal them in a ziplock baggie with all the air pushed out. I keep them in my pantry, cool and dry. I can’t imagine they’d go bad, at least not very quickly, since they need rehydration?

29 Roz@weightingfor50 January 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

Awwww!!!! Basil. AWWWW!!!! This recipe is SOOO up my alley. I’ve got some rice papers at home, and have bookmarked this to try! Have a wonderful Wed.

30 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I hope you love them as much as we did, Roz! thank you, I’m having an enjoyable Wednesday – I hope you are too!

31 Shannon January 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

First of all, these look AMAZING.

My dog, Griffy, too has his own jar of peanut butter. And I swear, and yes I am a crazy dog-mama, he knows when I’m opening the jar. As in, he can be in the other room and I open the jar and he comes RUNNING in and sits anxiously. Peanut butter spoons have quickly become the easiest, and most reliable, way to administer his sedatives (don’t ask) and of course, to spoil him rotten.

32 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Griffy! I love that name – what kind of pup is he?? :D Basil totally hears the jar open. and then is immediately there, if he wasn’t already. we rescued him, and I think in his previous life he was given canned food, as a can opening is another sound that gets him in the kitchen. yes, peanut butter is a great way to hide doggie pills. cheese is too…

33 Curt January 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I only have one question. Does Basil ever switch jars? He might be starting a revenge tactic!

All kidding aside, awesome recipe!

34 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

haa haa… sometimes he does get some from our jar… but then there’s no double dipping. ;)

35 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Ui, these look fabulous! I always admire how you make your food to looks so photogenic! Mine tends to look messy and all over the place, at least when I make something that affords a more sophisticated treatment than scooping it into a bowl. :P I still have rice paper somewhere, I should make some rolls tomorrow!

Missing you. I’m very sentimental these days and only capable of social contact on the internet because I don’t feel like talking. But thanks the beautiful friends I have on here, I’m fine. :)

36 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

oh, Kath I know – I’ve been missing you lately too! busy-ness comes and goes, and soon I’m sure we will have time to catch up, yes? I am very busy lately, after having a month off YIKES :D Basil and I send love hugs and wags!

37 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Basil also has his own almond butter jar, doesn’t he? :D

38 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

YES!! you remembered! well of course you did, you drew it! :D XXO!

39 Christin@purplebirdblog January 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You can pretty much convince me to do anything with a spoonful of peanut butter. Don’t tell Alex. ;)

My dogs have their own peanut butter jar too. Spoiled, spoiled little babies. Wouldn’t have it any other way. <3

And sweet lord, Kris… you are inspiring me to bust out my rice paper rolls again. I keep meaning to and forgetting!

40 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I am loving these rice papers lately – I’ve been making so many things with them! so so yum. and heh, heh… peanut butter – that is a good tidbit of info to know. I will only use it for good, I promise.

41 Jillian January 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Holy moly. I will be making these. Soon….oh yes…very soon.

42 spabettie January 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

hi Jillian, I hope you do! these are my favorite rolls yet!

43 Jillian January 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Well I made these tonight for our dinner. My five year old loved them too. Oh man. My mouth and belly are so happy. This recipe will be written down on a recipe card. That’s how much I love it. Thank you for sharing!

44 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Jillian THANK YOU for letting me know! I get such a big smile each time someone loves one of my recipes – really, you have no idea. and to know it’s going on a permanent recipe card, ah, big smiles over here! so happy you like these, and the five year old too! Cheers to you, have a great weekend!

45 Pure2raw Twins January 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

too cute that Basil has his own peanut butter jar. love it!
and great tip about soaking wraps, we shall have to try sometime. looks fantastic :)

46 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Dangit, I almost bought rice paper wraps the other day. This sounds amazing! Funny how smart our animals really are. You are apparently not to be trusted. Basil is on to you! I try the same techniques with the kids…they are starting to outsmart me!

47 beti January 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

they look pretty delicious and quite light!

48 Lisa B January 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I don’t have a lot to say….except, Yum! These look amazing :-)

49 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love you and your brilliant recipes! :) So many great ideas!!

50 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

thank you, my friend! :D

51 Suzanne January 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

These rolls are so gorgeous and delicious looking, thanks for the recipe.
Glad to be connected up through stumble :)

52 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

thank you, Suzanne!! I’m glad to have found you as well! have a great weekend!

53 Amanda January 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm

ooh and gluten-free too! I absolutely love peanut-y sauces. I need to find a brand of tempeh that is gluten-free. I noticed the one at Trader Joe’s had barley in it.

Poor Basil, he just loves you so much!

54 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I usually use the Turtle Island Foods tempeh (the one in the flat, almost square box), and MOST of them are gluten free… you have to check the label. I hope you can find it – it’s at most every store I shop in…

peanut sauces are the best.

55 melbourne florida spa May 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Looks very good, I am going to try to make these this weekend! Thanks so much for the recipe!

56 Karen February 16, 2013 at 3:43 am

Quick question: Do you cook the edamame first, or are they raw? I’ve only had them a couple of times….bought them frozen, and then steamed them.