lemon cardamom cake stacks

Until very recently, it has been a long time since I had spray whip cream. I went a littleΒ nuts with it. I made this colorful dessert and had a lovely little dinner party. Everyone was enjoying these sweet stacks, and I was spraying rice whip directly into my mouth.

It was pretty rad.

I have made these twice – once as you see here, made with my whoopie pie pans. The other time I used 2 round cake pans, finishing them with a cinnamon glaze. These cakes are rich in flavor and have a good crumb – dense but not heavy.

Why do I come up with light summery desserts in the middle of winter? Getting a jump start on that spring fever, I suppose. My vacation tan is fading, I have to do something.

lemon cardamom cakes

gluten, dairy and soy free, vegan

makes 24 mini cakes (whoopie pie pan) or two 9 inch rounds

3/4 cup butter (Earth Balance Soy Free), melted
3 tablespoons chia
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted (Gluten Free)
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons cardamom
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and set aside to cool. Combine chia and water, set aside to thicken. Stir maple syrup, applesauce, lemon juice and zest into cooled melted butter, add chia mixture. Sift together flour, cornmeal, cardamom and baking soda, add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Fill prepared whoopie pie (or cupcake tin) 2/3 full, or divide between 2 9 inch rounds. Bake 17-22 minutes for small cakes (whoopie pie or muffins), 35-40 minutes for large cakes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean.

blueberry topping

vegan, gluten free

1 pint fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Combine blueberries with water in saucepan over medium heat. Combine lemon juice, sugar and tapioca flour, add to blueberries. Some of the blueberries will pop open as they heat up, and will thicken into a sauce. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Garnish with whip cream, of course.

Comments

aw, thank you Heather! :) we never had the whip as kids either – on holidays we’d have homemade, which is always better, but… there’s a special place of awesome for the spray whip! πŸ˜€

I am a little obsessed with cardamom lately. I’ve been putting it into my oatmeal and little mini-bakes… I just can’t get enough of it. I haven’t combined it with lemon yet though- which sounds fantastic!
    The last time I had a container of whipped cream in the house, I don’t think it ever made it on to any type of food or drink- it just all went straight from the can to my mouth.

yep – same here, I have been waiting for a reason to buy that whip cream – the other day I was at the store and bought another. this time I had no reason – I’ve been spraying it onto a spoon. the other night I sprayed some on a piece of dark chocolate.

Honey, if you lived here, your summery desserts in winter would be PERFECT! This entire week has been sunny and in the 70s. I think I might have to make these before winter wakes up. And cardamom is my *favorite*!

I love cardamom too… and GEEZ, lucky! I am so missing warm sunny weather right now… both Jason and I keep saying we want to go back to Mexico… need to figure out how to “commute” from there.

• says

I swear, everything you say I feel like saying back “ME TOO!” haha. About commuting to Meh-hee-co, I’m just saying that I happen to live 2 hours from the border, I might also just be saying that I have a spare room with you and Jason’s name on the door already, and well…I think you catch my drift here :)

• says

Okay, I just finished the paint on Basil’s new doggie beach bungalow. I think he will be completely happy with the doggie hammock as well :) P.S. Did I mention that I have a bartender on staff over here that serves up the best fruity coconut drinks? They keep coming all day long too…

love this spring and summer inspired desserts πŸ˜‰ that just means warmer weather will get here that much faster right haha
    looks delicious I love lemon and cardamom!! two of my favs!

I love lemon too – and cardamom is still going strong in this kitchen! I already see that the days are a little lighter, even by a few minutes each day… :)

You’re not alone with the spray whip cream. When my wife gets out the can of whip cream, one of our cats, Fido, goes nuts. He puts his face up to it to get a good squirt. He usually gets a few squirts.

Awesome recipe, and awesome photo!

ha, first of all, I love that your CAT is named Fido. :) the fact that he likes whip cream and gets it, that is just awesome!

These look sinfully good! Lemon and blueberry are such fresh flavors and pair with each other perfectly. As for the whipped cream, my kids always beg me to spray some in their mouths and I oblige by filling them up to the top.

I’ve been looking at that whip every time I’m at Whole Foods… waiting for a reason to get it. The last time I went, I bought another. No reason, just have it now πŸ˜‰

thanks, Averie – much appreciated since it IS a difficult task – worked through this recipe many times. :)

weeee, I love my whoopie pie pan! :) as you know gf cake is NOT always easy – this was many stages in the making. they were fun and pretty yum – don’t forget the whip! πŸ˜‰

please add this to the list of desserts you’ll make when we come over for a dinner party! I cannot even imagine trying to narrow down a menu from all of your recipes, but Billy and I might have to pay you to cook us a 7 course meal.

I am doing well, Jessica – I hope you are too! and I won’t hold the cardamom thing against you – I enjoy it enough for the both of us! πŸ˜€

Lemon anything makes me so happy lately… they keep giving us Meyer lemons in my our CSA delivery and I’ve been loving them in my juice! I recently won a spiced sugar giveaway and one of them is a cardamom vanilla sugar… it would be perfect in these cakes!! :)

8. Laurel says

If I’d gotten that ISI Whip for Xmas I’d be right there with you. Whipped cream makes everything better, especially chocolate mousse. Hmm, I may have texture issues here. I bet I could fix that with these cakes. Oh, and best line ever… “my vacation tan is fading, I have to do something.”

it’s TRUE, I’m going to have to resort to accenting this tan with the bottled kind… and also true, whip cream makes everything better… I have one of those ISI whips, but sadly have not used it in years – I just need to buy more of the cartridges…

These look absolutely mouthwatering. Of course, your recipes aalways look amazing. I want to make them & I hardly ever use cornmeal in dishes, do you use fine or coarse cornmeal? Thank you! : )

10. Judy says

I made this cakes today in my miniature cupcake pans. It made 24. This served as the yummy cake base for my red, white and blue trifle. I made the blueberry sauce but mine was a bit sticky and was wondering if I didn’t cook it long enough or what was my problem. I layered some fresh blueberries with the sauce to make my blue layer. For the “custard” I whipped coconut milk and a bit of the coconut manna. The red layers were sliced strawberries with just a bit of agave to make them shine and some fresh raspberries folded into some seedless unsweetened jam. It was my first time using cardamom. It leaves such a fresh taste in your mouth! and coupled with the lemon – the cakes were just as you said crumbly and not too heavy- just well balanced flavors and delicious! The trifle looks so pretty- I wish I could send you a picture, but I don’t know how. :) I topped the last creamy layer with a star of blueberries and a ring of blackberries. I reserved a little bit of each layer so I could do a taste test as we are not eating until tonight! Thank you so much for sharing your talents. We have a dachshund named Eva Braun.

hi Judy! your cakes sound like they were beautiful, and perfect for the holiday! I’mm not sure about the sticky result of the sauce – I have made this a few times and I suppose I may add more water if the consistency is thick, possibly sticky? (the blueberries could definitely vary in moisture themselves). I don’t generally cook it too long, so I don’t think that is the answer. I would add more water in very small amounts at a time, see if that thins it.

I am so happy you liked the cake! We love this one for all the reasons you describe – well flavored, light. Cardamom is a fun spice, yes? Do not be surprised if you find yourself thinking of things to add it to now, as you plan your cooking. πŸ˜‰

Thank you so much for your message and kind words! I hope your desserts were a big hit! Please give Eva Braun a hug for me!

Cheers, Kristina

11. Sam says

I made these over the weekend they were the best cake I have ever had. The spongy cake is yummo! I dont have the special pie tins like you do they worked good in cupcake tins and about the same cooking time actually maybe just a few more minutes lol. thanks for this, Im making again!