cuban breakfast scramble

I ate some plantains on vacation. A lot of plantains.

Now that we are back home, I am recreating some of the flavors I enjoyed last month. I have some fun recipe ideas I cannot wait to share.

I’ve never really been a fan of scrambled eggs. Honestly, I’ve not been a big fan of eggs in general. Eggs were one of those things that if I thought about them too much, I couldn’t eat them.

I’ve been loving scrambles lately, though, and these are egg free! Tofu scrambles are nothing new, I know. This one is just so good that I keep making it. I have made it three times in the last week. Once I used a whole block of tofu, doubling the recipe, snacking on leftovers throughout the day.

Wrapping it in a warm corn tortilla blanket.

cuban breakfast scramble

vegan, gluten free

serves two

1/2 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon soy sauce (organic tamari gluten free)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1 plantain, sliced
1 small sweet potato, baked
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance)Β

Crumble tofu into bite size pieces with a fork (or hands). Combine tahini, soy sauce and cumin, mix into tofu and set aside to marinate. Prep remaining ingredients – slice sweet potato and plantain. In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add tofu, plantain, sweet potato and garlic, saute until garlic has softened. Add black beans, cooked rice and marinated tofu crumbles, combine and cook through.

Serve immediately – as is or wrapped in a corn tortilla. Top with your choice of hot sauce to add some spicy to this sweet and savory dish.

more tasty breakfast ideas:

buckwheat hemp banana pancakes

buckwheat hemp banana pancakes

candy bar smoothie

candy bar smoothie

raspberry coconut flax waffles

raspberry coconut flax waffles

baked blueberry custard

baked blueberry custards

Baileys and black tea French toast

sugared chai latte banana muffins

sugared chai latte banana muffins

savory tomato protein pancakes with Brussels and potatoes

saffron doughnuts with rosewater icing

Comments

looks wonderful! it is weird as I can not stand tofu but eggs yes please. even when I was vegan I could not stand tofu. but that just means more for everyone else πŸ˜‰

haa! staring at the pantry… I do this a lot (and *sigh* I need to organize it…) scrambles are so good – but you might still be in front of the pantry, or the fridge, looking for fun ingredients to add! πŸ˜€

I am loving spicy more and more – a few years ago spicy to me was buffalo sauce :) eggs would work in this too – I suppose you could mix them with the tahini / soy / cumin?

This looks awesome. I grew plantains when I lived in Texas. They didn’t grow that well, but I tried.

Can’t wait to see what else you have coming out!

I LOVE plantains, but I never buy them because I don’t know what to do with them other than fry them or make the one stew recipe I have that involves plantains–I hope there are even more plantain recipes on their way. This one looks great–but I’ll never say no to a good tofu scramble.

Last year, I was training to enter a Miss Bikini competition and I had to eat 3 boiled eggs a day. I had a picture of this giant bowl filled with eggs that lasted me only a week–gross. Needless to say, this did not last long because I was so grossed out from it. I haven’t eaten an egg since then :) So I hear you on not being into eggs…
    I’m thinking a crumble of your tamales from the other day into this scramble would be delightful! xo

people used to make fun of me when I did eat eggs – I would have to take a fork and remove the white part, YICK. seriously don’t know how I ate them after that – before I knew of the horrors animals go through, my reasons for eating veg were purely because meat etcetera grosses me out :(

I cannot imagine eating that many eggs a day!

Oooooo yes, plantains rock the hizzy. I love eggs super big time, and I can just imagine the slight sweetness of the plantains (I keep typing plaintains for some reason) and the sweet potatoes against the savory deliciousness of some scrambled eggs… or even better, sunny side up eggs with runny yolks MMMMMMMMM :)

I LOVE platains (we call them platanos or maduros)! They’re so sweet and delicious, I don’t buy them because I usually fry them up and eat way too many. Seriously, way too many.

I love a savory breakfast bowl! I’ve been eating a lot of tofu lately but I’ve set to scramble it. I’ve got 3/4 of the ingredients in this delicious recipe in my pantry already so I think it’s time for me to give it a try! I’ll let you know how it turns out! :)

delicious combo! as an egg-eater these days, I would love to try this recipe with eggs. I’ve been in a sweet potato phase. Usually lasts a month or more. :)

9. Anne says

Hello, Spabettie! I am *loving* your website. Question: I am trying to slowly convert from vegetarianism to veganism – do you think that tofu really replaces eggs, flavor wise? What is your experience? I’ve tried it multiple times, but I just have a really hard time with it. I need to buck up and be a little more creative… but, your thoughts on tofu?

hello Anne! does tofu replace egg flavor? honestly, no. but it can come close, I think. texture wise, at least with a scramble, it’s pretty close. I never ate scrambled eggs alone, without other ingredients anyway, so if I make a tofu scramble in a similar way, it works. Most often when I was making an egg scramble, I started by sauteing some onions, peppers, mushrooms. I think I’m okay with it because I didn’t really like eggs all that much to begin with – someone who loves eggs will definitely have a more difficult time, if they are looking to replace flavors.

like me with cheese. :)

good luck!

• Anne says

Thank you! I also have trouble with cheese…. may end up trying out some of the vegan varieties on the market. Will be trying this tofu scramble over the weekend!

I hope you like it, Anne – you’ll have to let me know. and cheese… *sigh* good luck with that one, it is tough. I’m not a fan of Daiya, although many are (the pepper jack flavor is okay). my favorite is Follow Your Heart brand, and I also like SoyaKaas – but beware of theirs – they only have TWO that are vegan, the others are not. but they are good – some of the best I’ve had. I do miss cheese :)

• Laura says

If you want tofu to taste a bit more ‘egg like’ you could try black salt (or kala namak)- you should be able to find it in a South East Asian food shop/website, or maybe some supermarkets? Just a small amount should give that sulphurous and ammonia-like notes to the tofu which give eggs their characteristic flavour. For this reason alone, I avoid black salt! πŸ˜‰

Love this combination. I so have been wanting to experiment with something like this. Do you think it will work with my carton of eggs? :) Now I need to go plantain shopping. LOVE this (just had to say it again)!!!

Jason and I keep saying we want to go back (seems to happen as it gets dark, cold or rainy…) and until we figure out how we can telecommute (this was an actual conversation!) I will make foods that remind us… πŸ˜€

Oh my heavens…this looks amazing!! Anything that has so much flavor for breakfast makes my heart beat a bit faster…I like it! I will try it with eggs since I’m eating them right now and I don’t like the ‘fo πŸ˜‰

xxoo

Oh I love this! My husband and I were dining at Whole Foods for lunch the other day (love the salad bar!) and I had a roasted plantain in my salad. I was talking about wanting to come up with an idea for a meal inspired by a Cuban sandwich. Your idea is awesome! I’m still going to try to think of something though… I’m thinking soup… we’ll see.

This sounds so good – plantains with sweet potatoes and black beans sounds like the perfect combination! I love plantains but I can never seem to think of ways to use them, other than just frying them.

thank you, Genevieve! I love this combination, even without the scramble I do this in my quinoa bowls or salads… love the plantains! :)

14. Heidi says

what’s up buttercup? and more importantly, can the hound and I come visit, for breakfast of EXACTLY THIS and a walk with you + B-dog?

thanks for telling me, Alisha! I love hearing one of mine is a regular thing in someones kitchen – YAY! and Mmm, you picked a good one! πŸ˜‰

15. Jill says

we just had this for breakfast, now I need an excuse to throw a brunch party, this awesomeness needs to be seen by everybody! thank you!

16. Kenny says

Holy Crap! I love eggs but can’t eat them due to allergy but i love tofu. I was just thinking the other day, i wonder if there is some sort of egg replacement i can make a scrambled egg or omlette with. And here you kind of answered my prayer!

Trackbacks