cinnamon curry apple chips

My kitchen smelled so good the day I made these – warm and spicy. I was actually becoming lightheaded from smelling my hands, even after washing them! They smelled of cinnamon, curry, peanut butter – which translated into warm, buttery sweetness. On my hands and in the kitchen.

I want to bottle that smell…

So, this really is’t much of a recipe, and while I used my dehydrator you could just as easily use your oven.

cinnamon curry apple chips

1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
~1 teaspoon water (enough to make a paste)
1 apple

Slice apple horizontally, 1/5 inch thick, core middle asΒ necessary. Spread cinnamon curry paste over one side of each slice (I started with a spoon, ended up using my fingers – much easier). Arrange in single layer on dehydrator sheet (or cookie sheet), dehydrate for 6+ hours on 125-135 (in oven at lowest heat, door open).

peanut butter apple chips

1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 apple

Slice apple horizontally, 1/5 inch thick, core middle as necessary. Spread peanut butter over one side of each slice. Arrange in single layer on dehydrator sheet (or cookie sheet), dehydrate for 6+ hours on 125-135 (in oven at lowest heat, door open).

Another dehydrator creation we will enjoy year round! The peanut butter version stayed softer, but were no less wonderful. The cinnamon curry chips were crispier, and tasted warm and spicy! I love how they look – very pretty with the dark yellow spice and the marbled red of the apple peel.

Are you a fan of yellow curry spice? What is your favorite dried fruit?

I just shot a demo video for how to make apple apricot curry using the microwave. Not as noble as the dehydrator but I guess more college student friendly…even though I havent been in college for a few years now. I have a feeling I’d only use a dehydrator to dry my clothes.

Ohhh… curry with the sweetness of the apple and some cinnamon sounds wonderful. Perfect for fall! For the first time, something other than PB sounds even better (not that the PB isn’t appealing… I am sure I’d love them both). :)

YES, I know, I figured I would like the peanut butter apples better too… and it was the cinnamon curry that won this time! I am going to try the apples again with peanut flour or a thinner layer of the peanut butter, to see if I can get them crispy like the others were. Mmm!

• Amanda says

Sounds great! Thanks for the post! (Found this on Pinterest.) What if you try PB2 (low-cal peanut butter powder) instead of full out peanut butter? It might crisp up better.

I can only imagine how good it smelled! There are times I make stuff or go to a bakery and want to bottle a smell too!

I love your header, it always makes me smile! Especially the Basil pic!

Happy Weekend ! xoxo

I loooove curry. Figs are my current dried fruit, but I just bought a gigantic bag of them at Costco, so we’ll see if I feel the same way at the end of that bag πŸ˜€ I want a dehydrator! It would be so much fun to play around with.

I want a dehydrator soooo bad. But I like that you include directions for making these in the oven too… so I can’t say that I NEED one.

But my wallet thanks you.

hi Ty! if you try these in the oven, do let me know how they work? I have not tried them myself, but I include the instructions based on MANY people telling me it works! :) enjoy!

the peanut butter apples were really good… just something you probably need to eat right away, because they didn’t get crispy. I’m going to try a thinner layer of peanut butter or peanut powder next time. :)

those sounds perfect for traveling!!! I have some curry on the shelf but it has been awhile since I have put it to good use, seeing this recipe using it along with cinnamon sounds just all too good! thanks!

hi Jeanette, I have heard you can make these in the oven, lowest heat with the door open… about the same amount of time.

OMG- are you kidding me with this recipe? Ididn’t know you cold dehydrate thigns in a regular oven. I really think I can smell these through the computer. :) How in the heck are you apple rings so cute? I need some lessons. :)

• says

I had champagne for lunch yesterday. Makes me say things that are 1). Inappropriate, and 2). Untrue. ((haha))) It really doesn’t get grandma gassy, I just wanted to say that :) Now, knowing that, are you sure you would actually wanna live next door to me???! HA. But it *would* be fun, huh!! I will come over uninvited everyday and eat everything you make. How do you feel about relocating to California?…

I forgot to say how beautiful these apple chips look!!! I was too caught up on how I was bring up inappropriate matters on your blog :) But now I want my kitchen to smell of cinnamon and butterflies! Come over and make these.

you are too funny. and OOOOOH, I WISH I could just “come over and make these”!! wouldn’t being neighbors be FUN?? πŸ˜€

thank you, Lindsay! and… makes and takes?? is this something I should contribute my creations to? (I LOVE that you did, thank you, but should I, CAN I, contribute my own?) Cheers!

Just discovered your site and so happy that you have some dehydrator recipes. I just got mine recently (super early Christmas present) and definitely loving your creations! I’ve been making apple chips all week, but without any toppings. The first night, I tried just sprinkling them with either cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or cardamom. We preferred them au naturel but maybe I needed to better coat them? I like how you make a slurry first and then coat them.

hi Janet! sounds like you are having as much fun as I am with mine – I just got my dehydrator too, after wanting one for so long! my first recipe was the miso sesame kale chips, and that has become a regular snack around here… and the watermelon strips was something I have wanted to do for years – they turned out exactly as I imagined – like candy!

currently on vacation, but expect more dehydrator fun in a few weeks! Cheers and happy holidays to you!

10. Amber says

finally splurged for a dehydrator and the first thing I said was “I’m visiting Spabettie!” πŸ˜€ we made these last night and already have another batch in the hopper, so to speak πŸ˜‰ thank you!