cinnamon curry apple chips

in appetizers, dehydrator, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

My kitchen smelled so good the day I made these – warm and spicy. I was actually becoming lightheaded from smelling my hands, even after washing them! They smelled of cinnamon, curry, peanut butter – which translated into warm, buttery sweetness. On my hands and in the kitchen.

I want to bottle that smell…

So, this really is’t much of a recipe, and while I used my dehydrator you could just as easily use your oven.

cinnamon curry apple chips

1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
~1 teaspoon water (enough to make a paste)
1 apple

Slice apple horizontally, 1/5 inch thick, core middle as┬ánecessary. Spread cinnamon curry paste over one side of each slice (I started with a spoon, ended up using my fingers – much easier). Arrange in single layer on dehydrator sheet (or cookie sheet), dehydrate for 6+ hours on 125-135 (in oven at lowest heat, door open).

peanut butter apple chips

1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 apple

Slice apple horizontally, 1/5 inch thick, core middle as necessary. Spread peanut butter over one side of each slice. Arrange in single layer on dehydrator sheet (or cookie sheet), dehydrate for 6+ hours on 125-135 (in oven at lowest heat, door open).

Another dehydrator creation we will enjoy year round! The peanut butter version stayed softer, but were no less wonderful. The cinnamon curry chips were crispier, and tasted warm and spicy! I love how they look – very pretty with the dark yellow spice and the marbled red of the apple peel.

Are you a fan of yellow curry spice? What is your favorite dried fruit?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 18, 2011 at 6:52 am

MMM – love yellow curry and used it in last night’s dinner even. I should have had these for dessert!

2 Eden November 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

I just shot a demo video for how to make apple apricot curry using the microwave. Not as noble as the dehydrator but I guess more college student friendly…even though I havent been in college for a few years now. I have a feeling I’d only use a dehydrator to dry my clothes.

3 Kris @Krazy_Kris November 18, 2011 at 7:10 am

I. Can. Smell. Them. From. Here.
!!!!!
Don’t have curry.
Hmmm….
Note to self: more on my list
xoxo

4 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 18, 2011 at 7:11 am

Ohhh… curry with the sweetness of the apple and some cinnamon sounds wonderful. Perfect for fall! For the first time, something other than PB sounds even better (not that the PB isn’t appealing… I am sure I’d love them both). :)

5 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 10:31 am

YES, I know, I figured I would like the peanut butter apples better too… and it was the cinnamon curry that won this time! I am going to try the apples again with peanut flour or a thinner layer of the peanut butter, to see if I can get them crispy like the others were. Mmm!

6 Amanda March 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Sounds great! Thanks for the post! (Found this on Pinterest.) What if you try PB2 (low-cal peanut butter powder) instead of full out peanut butter? It might crisp up better.

7 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 9:01 am

I bet that would work really well, Amanda!

8 Curt November 18, 2011 at 7:27 am

I love apple chips. That’s an interesting twist I’ve never tried. Curry!

9 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 18, 2011 at 7:38 am

I’ll eat curry anything! I love this curry + cinnamon + apple combo…actually, I might even combine the two types by making curry + cinnamon + apple + PB! :)

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

Curry + cinnamon on apples sounds so interesting. I probably would’ve never thought to combine those two.
Fave dried fruit is either cherries or apricots. I’m not a huge dried fruit fan but those two I could eat forever.

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

I’m not gonna lie to you…you’re making me really want a dehydrator! Jay LOVES dried pineapple. I think I need to look into getting one. I know we would all love it! These sound amazing!

12 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 18, 2011 at 9:17 am

Mmmmm every time I open your page, it makes me want to break my dehydrator out from hiding! :D

13 katie November 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

I can only imagine how good it smelled! There are times I make stuff or go to a bakery and want to bottle a smell too!

I love your header, it always makes me smile! Especially the Basil pic!

Happy Weekend ! xoxo

14 lindsay November 18, 2011 at 9:47 am

we like our curry in this house! I bet the hubs would like it. Curry mango chips next please!

15 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator November 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

Lovely idea! My hubs just brought home some curry powder from the U.K. Will have to try these soon!

16 Allie November 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

I loooove curry. Figs are my current dried fruit, but I just bought a gigantic bag of them at Costco, so we’ll see if I feel the same way at the end of that bag :D I want a dehydrator! It would be so much fun to play around with.

17 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com November 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

My mom has a dehydrator and makes all kinds of goodies in it! I’m going to have to remember to use it when I’m home for the holidays! :)

18 Ty November 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

I want a dehydrator soooo bad. But I like that you include directions for making these in the oven too… so I can’t say that I NEED one.

SO CLOSE.

But my wallet thanks you.

19 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

hi Ty! if you try these in the oven, do let me know how they work? I have not tried them myself, but I include the instructions based on MANY people telling me it works! :) enjoy!

20 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

These look PERFECT!!! YUM and great photos of something that’s pretty tricky to nail…but you nailed it!

21 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What an interesting combination of flavors. I love curry. The pb ones would probably be my fave, though!

22 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

the peanut butter apples were really good… just something you probably need to eat right away, because they didn’t get crispy. I’m going to try a thinner layer of peanut butter or peanut powder next time. :)

23 Christin@purplebirdblog November 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I love the little star the seeds leave in the middle of apples! :)

24 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

I like that part too… :)

25 Pure2raw Twins November 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

those sounds perfect for traveling!!! I have some curry on the shelf but it has been awhile since I have put it to good use, seeing this recipe using it along with cinnamon sounds just all too good! thanks!

26 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

these are so simple for such a great result – yes, a big batch would be great for travel!

27 Shirley @ gfe November 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

They are beautiful, Kristina! Trying to imagine the amazing smell. ;-)

Shirley

28 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:58 am

oooh, Shirley it was a lovely smell. I can’t decide if I like that or the snacks better ;)

29 Jeanette November 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I would love to have a dehydrator to make these (and kale chips)!

30 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:58 am

hi Jeanette, I have heard you can make these in the oven, lowest heat with the door open… about the same amount of time.

31 Rande McDaniel @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen November 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Beautiful and so unique!

32 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

thanks, Rande!!

33 Me Bean November 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

So nice and delicious :)

34 Editorial Team | Healthy Aperture November 19, 2011 at 6:42 am

These look great! We’d love it if you’d submit them to Healthy Aperture & share with our fans.

35 Health Bee November 19, 2011 at 9:28 am

I love cinnamon and apple. Can’t wait to make these apple chips.

36 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

I hope you love them as much as we do!

37 Health Bee November 20, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Thanks again for the idea & great recipe! I made a version inspired by your recipe this weekend, and loved them.

38 Richa@HobbyandMore November 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

super!! i am sure i will snack on them all day.. what more can i want.. more than curry and cinnamon in my everyday snacks, meals and everything:)

39 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

I bet you will Richa, because I certainly snacked on these all day…

40 STUFT Mama November 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm

OMG- are you kidding me with this recipe? Ididn’t know you cold dehydrate thigns in a regular oven. I really think I can smell these through the computer. :) How in the heck are you apple rings so cute? I need some lessons. :)

41 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:36 am

Kristin it is JUST cutting the apple horizontally! :) that is all! I hope you make these, they are SO good…

42 Asian Bitch November 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

It’s that easy to make apple chips??? I feel ripped…I used to spent 1.99$ for a small bag.

43 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:35 am

it IS that easy!!

44 Cara November 19, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Dried fruit makes grandma gassy. Did I just admit that out loud? Too forward? Too soon? haha

45 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

HMM.. I will have to see if that is true for me? :D

46 Cara November 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I had champagne for lunch yesterday. Makes me say things that are 1). Inappropriate, and 2). Untrue. ((haha))) It really doesn’t get grandma gassy, I just wanted to say that :) Now, knowing that, are you sure you would actually wanna live next door to me???! HA. But it *would* be fun, huh!! I will come over uninvited everyday and eat everything you make. How do you feel about relocating to California?…

47 Cara November 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I forgot to say how beautiful these apple chips look!!! I was too caught up on how I was bring up inappropriate matters on your blog :) But now I want my kitchen to smell of cinnamon and butterflies! Come over and make these.

48 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

you are too funny. and OOOOOH, I WISH I could just “come over and make these”!! wouldn’t being neighbors be FUN?? :D

49 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 20, 2011 at 4:13 am

Yummm. Dried apples are my fave dried fruit, they are perfect in every form :)

50 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

hi Jen! I love dried apples too… I will be making this variation often!

51 Kath (My Funny Little Life) November 20, 2011 at 6:26 am

Aww, I love this! And I may try the door-open oven variant. Would also save me the heating! ;)

Great idea, yum yum.

52 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

ha – YES it would, Kath!! :D and the smell… oooh, the smell. it is divine!

53 a spoonful of yumm November 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

looks great ! love the idea :)

54 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:17 am

thank you, Happy Sunday!

55 Nada (One Arab Vegan) November 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

Yet another reason why I need a dehydrator! The cinnamon curry combination sounds heavenly – might try this in my oven, thanks for sharing :)

56 nat@thesweetslife November 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

i don’t know which sounds better!! such fabulous flavors–you inspire me once again!

57 Lindsey Johnson (Cafe Johnsonia) November 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

These sound wonderful. I’ve been dying to get a dehydrator. I think I’ll have to try this in the oven too.

(I hope you don’t mind that I submitted this to the Make and Takes spotlight page. I’m going to pin it too. :) http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight)

58 spabettie November 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm

thank you, Lindsay! and… makes and takes?? is this something I should contribute my creations to? (I LOVE that you did, thank you, but should I, CAN I, contribute my own?) Cheers!

59 Lindsey Johnson (Cafe Johnsonia) November 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Yes! You can and definitely should contribute whenever you want to. :) Can’t wait to try these out. Just bought a half bushel of apples this afternoon.

60 janet @ the taste space November 27, 2011 at 7:45 am

Just discovered your site and so happy that you have some dehydrator recipes. I just got mine recently (super early Christmas present) and definitely loving your creations! I’ve been making apple chips all week, but without any toppings. The first night, I tried just sprinkling them with either cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or cardamom. We preferred them au naturel but maybe I needed to better coat them? I like how you make a slurry first and then coat them.

61 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 10:31 am

hi Janet! sounds like you are having as much fun as I am with mine – I just got my dehydrator too, after wanting one for so long! my first recipe was the miso sesame kale chips, and that has become a regular snack around here… and the watermelon strips was something I have wanted to do for years – they turned out exactly as I imagined – like candy!

currently on vacation, but expect more dehydrator fun in a few weeks! Cheers and happy holidays to you!

62 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

As per usual, you’ve got a genius thing going on by putting pb on apples in the dehydrator- I never would have thought they’d turn out!! I love pb and apples raw, so I’m sure I’d love them ‘chipped’ :-)

63 Andrea Klein December 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

this is brilliant, and the end result is beautiful too. I am trying this in my oven tonight, thanks!

64 amy@currylime.com December 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Love love LOVE tasty curries! Many thanks for the excellent recipe!!

65 Leah E February 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

i’m always buying bagged chips…can’t wait to try to make these on my own. they are just way too simple to pass up. thanks!

66 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm

very simple – I hope you like them, Leah! happy weekend!

67 Janet February 28, 2012 at 3:53 am

these sound so good, I can’t wait to get my dehydrator!

68 Amber March 17, 2012 at 8:59 am

finally splurged for a dehydrator and the first thing I said was “I’m visiting Spabettie!” :D we made these last night and already have another batch in the hopper, so to speak ;) thank you!

69 Chandra March 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm

made these today, very good!! they take forever, I kept stealing them lol. kitchen smells great too!

70 Larissa March 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm