peanut butter banana fruit roll

Two of Basil’s favorite foods. While I was making these, he was walking through the kitchen, his nose pointed up like Snoopy, sniffing sniffing sniffing…

I let him lick the spatula and he was SO happy:

So, this isn’t really a recipe –

two ingredients, two appliances, more than two hours

I made a small amount to test this; it sounded good in theory, but if it ended up gross I didn’t want to have to waste eat much.

peanut butter banana fruit roll

vegan, gluten free, delicious

2 bananas, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Blend at high speed until smooth – less than one minute. Spread onto dehydrator sheet; dehydrate at 125-135 for 4-5 hours.

This may work in an oven, lowest heat setting with the door open. Use a baking sheet lined with parchment.Β

These were sweet like a banana chip (childhood memory – bulk bins at the health food store!) and the peanut butter added a great flavor and a stronger consistency, if that makes sense. I would make these again.

Basil is happy.

…and so am I!

Jason is flying home as I type this, and I get to go pick him up and we are going to lunch with friends and taking the rest of the day off! Weekend, activate!

Yeah. He is the other half, my Wonder Twin.

Snoopy, Superfriends… what was your favorite cartoon?

Peanut butter and banana – yes or no?

Happy Friday!

I was so excited when I thought of it… I made this right away! it’s pretty good… you have to want that flavor, because it is different from a normal “fruity” roll. πŸ˜€

my afternoon snack is often something with peanut butter… even if that something is a spoon πŸ˜‰ Basil HEARS the peanut butter jar when I open it!! that’s why he’s been confused lately when I make my own – it’s not always in a jar! πŸ˜‰

yep, peanut butter and banana are second only to peanut butter chocolate in my book πŸ˜‰ have a great weekend, Heather!

Toasted Ezekiel bread with sunflower seed butter and a banana with a side of green veggies = my lunch or dinner at least four times a week. I have no shame.

Love it – peanut butter makes everything yummy and I love it with banana. I may try this with the oven setting, no luck finding a dehydrator yet. :)

Oh – and we’re planning on enjoying your blinis, with creme fraiche (vegan) and caviar (vegan) tonight with some sparkling wine! So excited! :)

let me know how it goes with the oven? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, may take longer, but I don’t know?

and YAY – sounds like a lovely plan for the evening – ENJOY! can’t wait to hear about the caviar! πŸ˜€ Cheers!

ha – Anna I just said the ONLY thing that beats it is peanut butter CHOCOLATE. that’s only my humble opinion… πŸ˜‰

I know, me too – I loved fruit roll ups, I’m sure they have ghastly ingredients. πŸ˜‰ I LOVE to make these, I haven’t even added sugar! so good.

barusz has a problem with not chewing… he basically just swallows people food. sometimes i worry about him choking hahaha its horrible! he also has a serious obsession with nuts- every time i go to eat some, he comes running from wherever he is because he hears the jar open. same with hard boiled eggs- he comes running when he hears me crack it on the counter, its hysterical! crazy mutt

that is awesome – Basil is THE SAME!! He hears the pb jar open, he comes running and tilts his head to the side when I’d peel an egg… he’s in the kitchen MOST of the time, and if not he is watching from a high vantage point on the couch… πŸ˜‰

honestly, I am partial to the watermelon, but just because when I think of a fruit roll I think fresh fruity, you know? these are good, but different! πŸ˜€

have a great weekend, Katie, you and your family! XO

4. Laura says

Now, I must add a dehydrator to my Xmas list b/c between these and the watermelons, my family would have great snacks!! Will start looking around for one.
    Next up maybe pb, banana and chocolate? How wrong could it be?
    Birthday party weekend w/ choc. dipped rice crispy treats!

I know – I’m WAAAAY ahead of ya on the chocolate… πŸ˜‰ have a great weekend and ENJOY the crispies!! πŸ˜€

hee hee – I didn’t actually give him one, but he DID get the mixture beforehand… and loved it! I’m sure he would love the finished product too…

I love that you say that. :) would you believe I never have seen TMNT ? weird. although I watched VERY few cartoons back then… Looney Tunes and Peanuts holiday shows… I do like Adult Swim now though πŸ˜€

thanks, Char! they are REALLY good, and I’m not really one for the really sweet banana flavor (I prefer GREEN!). enjoy!

love PB & banana! Absolutely one of my favorite combos…add dark chocolate and I’m in heaven. Basil and Snoopy would be such cute friends in real life. Enjoy your afternoon off!

6. spabettiemom says

Oh..I love it….there is that ‘nervous yawn’….the sweet Basil…great picture of him in the Thunder Shirt too….love pb & nanas…remember when Tasha would come running when we “opened” a banana!!.she would hear that snap and come running….do you remember when we were gone one day and she got up on the counter and ate the banana …all that was left was the banana peel …in tact… favorite cartoon was Boris and Natasha..(boy does that age me or what..hee hee)

I know, I still talk about that – one day it will be the legend of Tasha, who could eat a banana without opening it! πŸ˜€ (there, something that even the famed Hansel didn’t do!!) πŸ˜€

When I was a kid, I used to get fruit roll-ups in my lunch. It always made me so sad that they disappeared so fast (I could literally gobble it down in 2 bites) so I used to wrap it around my thumb and suck on it forever. It was the “cool” thing to do with roll-ups back in the day (though looking back, it seems rather ridiculous…and unsanitary!) These peanut butter and banana rolls make me wanna wash my hands thoroughly and roll them onto my thumb again :)

ah, Archie… I chose a recipient on the holiday giving tree at the mall that wanted those comics! I loved those, and had a bunch of the old ones. I gave them all of those and then also bought new ones – I still hope that kid was just so excited to get that! πŸ˜€

Heck yeah peanut butter and banana! I’m guessing your man is back now and your world is right where it needs to be! I hope you have an incredible weekend!

Oh and Smurfs all the way! Of all cartoons from my past, I remember those being my Saturday morning pick although Looney Toons is my all time favorite!

YES! always so good to have him home, and Basil FLIPS out too. πŸ˜‰ Looney Tunes were the best, right? πŸ˜€

PB and banana….a winner in my book!

My fave cartoons were the Smurfs, the Gummy Bears, the Snorks, Jem, the Flinstones, and the Jetsons….it sounds like I watched a lot of tv from that—I don’t think I did (well maybe on saturday mornings!)

haa – yeah, some of those I don’t even recognize, although a Gummi Bear cartoon??! I SHOULD have known about that one! πŸ˜‰

What a fun idea, Kristina! They look perfect. :-) I’m surprised that you didn’t calle them Fat Elvis Rolls or something. Hehe. Love that you made sweet Basil happy with the spatula, too. πŸ˜‰

Oh, I wasn’t a big cartoon gal, but I remember enjoying Rocco’s Modern Life with Son when he was younger. Good times!

ha – what a GREAT name, Shirley!! totally didn’t think of anything that cool! :) if I use it I will credit you, of course! πŸ˜€ and yes, Basil was in bliss with the spatula…

Wow those look great – who knew you could do that with only 2 ingredients!

My favorite cartoon characters is Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin. There is one line in their movie where Christopher Robin comes to get Winnie the Pooh. And Winnie the Pooh says “It’s the very best part of my day = when you and me become “we”.

I love that

haa, Kris that is so funny – you are the second person to say something about wrapping them around your fingers! πŸ˜€

thank you, Lauren! :) yes, it’s the flat squares. you should try the oven, on the lowest setting with door open? just use a baking sheet with parchment. I haven’t tried lately, but I am hearing it DOES work.

Your fruit roll combos are amazing! This is another one of my faves. I love pB & banana sandwiches and french toast. mmmm.

Look at Basil’s fashion statement!!

awww! Basil is sitting in front of the heater right now, and I said “Basil? Kath says hello!” and now his tail is thumping on the pillow… πŸ˜€

hi Jessy! I have not tried dehydrating in my oven, BUT I have heard that others do! set your oven at the lowest setting, and keep the oven door open. the timing should be about the same? let me know if you try!

hi Hillary!! how are you?? with each dehydrator recipe I share, I get suggestions that they can be done in the oven… most with directions of “lowest heat, door open, same time frame” -so… you MIGHT be able to try these with an oven?

How are you? great to ‘see’ you! XO

Hmmm. Loooks like a good travel food (I’m always trying to come up with those). PB & Banana is in my opinion the best combo of all- better than PB&J. Knowing me, I’d have to pimp them out with some protein powder or egg white powder but that shouldn’t affect the cooking/dehydrating?

PS I had Basil’s shirt in the 8th grade. Mine had a white collar. Oh yah, I was badazz. Were you around when red and blue stripy shirts/sweaters were all the rage about a millennium ago?

hi Lauri, I have not tried it, but a reader of mine did and said it worked. lowest temperature with the oven door open, several hours.