Thundershirt

Isn’t Basil sweet? In this photo, he was watching the side door for Jason to come walking through it.

Basil is a rescue pup, we adopted him a few years ago, when he was 5. He has a few nervous quirks left over from a life not so happy. One is a heart-wrenching separation anxiety.

Much like you swaddle a newborn for that calming sense of security (or like Temple Grandin’s squeezer!), there is a product especially for dogs that helps calm them – Thundershirt! It is a high quality thick knit with a few velcro closures, you wrap tightly around your pup and it hugs them. It is supposed to help with all kinds of anxiety, like dogs who freak out during thunder or fireworks.

It does have a calming effect on Basil.

He chose the one with rugby stripes…

I promise this is not a sponsored post – Thundershirt does not know who I am (or sadly, who Basil is), and I happily paid for this myself. I know I have many readers who have dogs (many of them dachshunds!) and whenever I talk about this, nobody has heard of it.

If you don’t have a dog, just enjoy the photos of a cute dachshund.

Do you have a dog?

Have you seen the (awesome) film about Temple Grandin?Β

Comments

I have the SousPug who, if I dare try the thundershirt, his vet would smack me into next week – she wants no clothing on him in case it raises his temperature. Who knew pugs were so sensitive to heat…

Your lil’ one is adorable!

yes, Heather, that was the original idea for these, I think! you should try one on Heath – and if he’s the one that wakes you up at three am… let him sleep in it too? πŸ˜‰

I have a little mutt rescue and he gets bad separation anxiety too! He’s just a pup so I’m hoping he’ll grow out of it… maybe… hopefully.

hi Ty – I know in the three years that we have had Basil with us, he has greatly improved and seems very comfortable here… he was really bad when we first brought him home, with many issues and quirks. my hope is yours will grow out of it too! :)

• Stefani says

Oh if only I could post this pic I have of one of my cats from when she was little! We got them spayed and they just use water soluble glue to close the incision and one kept licking at it…so rather than keep torturing her with those E-collars, I had a stroke of genius that ended with them wearing a modified baby onsie. I have the cutest pic ever of it! I think it’s on my facebook page :)

Ahhhhhh! Basil is SO cute! You need to post more Basil pics, they make me happy!!

SO cute with his new thundershirt! Love it!

Happy Thursday! xo

Awwe, what a wonderful idea for the pups with separation issues! Sometimes my little guy is extremely whiny when we leave, and sometimes he’s indifferent. Gaw, these Basil photos are making my afternoon, that face is toooo sweet!!!

YEAA!!! PRECIOUS!!! This is great, my friends have them. The fun thing is that they have to wear them even when it’s not stormy out. rock it baby:) So cute!!!

yeah!! I put it on Basil just for warmth and comfort sometimes too… he doesn’t mind it at all (I think he likes it – he is VERY nervous natured…)

Basil is so cute with his concerned “Where’s daddy?” look. Penny watches for me when she knows it’s time for me to be getting home, but she doesn’t have the separation anxiety. However, she DOES have serious anxiety when there is thunder or fireworks. All she wants to do is run and bury herself in her crate. She actually prefers her crate over the depths of her giant bed (http://www.stuffonmywiener.com/giant-glorious-bed/).

We may have to get one of these to try it out!

haa – that’s right, Drew!! I remember that photo – SO dang cute! especially with just her nose peeking out! She may benefit from a thundershirt…

Basil sits and watches the door when it is time for either one of us to come home too – very sweet.

Great pictures! I really like the last one. I think Basil did a fine job choosing his Thundershirt. The blue and white look great with his chesnut coat.

I only JUST heard about this a few days ago! I think someone mentioned it in a comment on a blog somewhere. Buster kind of FLIPS out when I leave him home alone. Not peeing or chewing, but barks and yelps and bothers our tenant downstairs. I’m wondering if it would help keep him chill (ie quiet) for a couple hours while I’m gone…

P.S. Basil looks dashing in his rugby stripes πŸ˜‰

you should try this for Buster! that’s what Basil does too – just HOWLS when we are gone (we come home and his little voice is hoarse, poor thing!). and thank you, Basil thanks you *wag wag wag* XO!

Oh. My. God.
    Not only do the Thundershirt people need to know who Basil is, they need to hire him as their spokesdog. I love it so, so much. He is quite dashing.

Chauncey was a rescue as well and brought along his own quirks, none of which I’m sure a Thundershirt could help (we’re convinced he was terrorized by plastic bags.) Anyway, he does have a few different coats though, and I’m thinking rugby stripes need to be next…

SPOKESDOG ! that would be a great thing! aw, Chauncey… poor thing. one of our old dachshunds was terrified of newspapers, especially rolled up (I hate to think…). Rugby stripes are just VERY smart, perhaps a holiday outfit is in order? :)

10. Sarah says

Basil is so sweet. So glad that he has such a happy life now. He is blessed to have you and J as his people. I sure hope the ‘Thundershirt’ will help him with his anxiety.

he IS so sweet… (didn’t he sit on your lap at the girls party I had?) πŸ˜€ and this does help, although he’d just rather be with “his people”… sitting on our laps

Corky has had an anxietywrap(.com) for about a year. Works in much the same way for calming, but has straps in the back for additional calming and alternate ways to wear it.
    It’s made SUCH a difference in his life. Before he would yelp, pant, pace, cry, and be under beds or cram himself into tiny nooks at the sound of thunder and fireworks. Now he falls asleep next to us. Sometimes he still pants or shakes, but it’s so much better!

Basil goes under beds too, and under our couch that is on high legs. poor pups – glad to hear Corky is better… Basil is definitely more relaxed than he was when we first got him, three years ago now. I think he likes it here :)

Basil is so adorable!! I’m glad you were able to rescue him & give him a good life :) We don’t have a dog, but I’ve had my kitty Mowzers (also a rescue) for almost 8 years now! I think she might hate me if I put a vest on her though, haha

Mowzers! aw, I love that name! πŸ˜€ yeah, I think cats aren’t as in to clothes as dogs are? um, some dogs… πŸ˜‰ I am so happy we found Basil – he is the sweetest dog.

I’ve seen the movie and LOVE it! Hugs make everything better! I always tell Tony that when he is away, I wish I had a hug machine. I swear, there is nothing better than a big bear hug. I love they make these for animals. I can see how that would help. I hope Basil feels better with it.

I wish I’d had one of these when our little Buffy was younger, and shook like a earthquake whenever we had a storm. Now that she’s 19, she’s oblivious to storms β€” probably can’t hear them as well, though she’d start to shake in the old days before the thunder even started. Also, there aren’t many electrical storms where we live now.

aw, poor Buffy! I have heard that dogs can sense when a storm is coming – she must have! sweet pup – give her a hug from me and Basil! :)

OMG that is sooooooooooooooooooo cute! Swaddle doggles. I didn’t know!

Did YOU know that there is a plug-in contraption that wafts out pheromones for cats to be more loving? Yes, it’s true! And we bought it and it seemed to really help Ace warm up when he was going through a scaredy cat phase. But now we’re in the desert without the plug-in and he’s still loving, but he’s having a little scaredy cat relapse. Amazing isnt’ it!?

I did NOT know that, but that’s awesome that it works! I had a cat (sweet Caesar!) in college, and he liked me and a FEW friends he was familiar with… everyone else he’d FREAK OUT on. one friend who would house sit while I was traveling would wear her soccer shin guards to my house!! he would attack her legs! πŸ˜€

That’s crazy! I was thinking of Temple Grandin as I read your post…and then you mentioned it. That was such a great movie.

Basil is adorable. I don’t have a dog…but I want one. Sadly, no babies, even of the dog variety are allowed in my home yet, until a more stable career is achieved! I saw the cutest shi-poo puppy the other day, and the owner even let me hold her. Then I learned she was selling her…it was kind of random. That made me want one even more…sigh.

all this talk about Temple Grandin makes me want to watch the film again – LOVE it. she is so awesome.
      that’s a GOOD thing that you are holding off having a dog (ha – AND a baby!) until you are more stable… I wish more people did??!! πŸ˜‰ anyway, smart girl, you’ll enjoy and appreciate a pup even more when you get one! XXO! have a great weekend, Lauren!

Make.
    It.
    Stop.

Basil is always handsome but seeing these pictures and reading about his anxiety are almost bringing me to tears. I am so happy to see this actually works and it continues to work it’s magic on him. Lincoln is very skiddish thanks to his previous owners so this is something I am going to look into. I hate these stupid people who abuse dogs.

oh, Tiffany, I know you do – and I do too! how could anyone do anything to a pup with a sweet face like Basil or Lincoln??! or any dog! (I firmly believe in karma…) :) you should look into one of these for Lincoln – maybe before you get one, just try wrapping him in something to see if it is effective? before we heard about Thundershirt, my mom would wrap Jake, one of her dachshunds, in some of that beige elastic bandage stuff? it worked! πŸ˜€

Basil!
    I love the thundershirt concept (and he’s awesomely cute in it).

I can totally relate—I get such a comforting feeling when I’m all bundled up in my comfy sweats and wrapped in a blanket! Security, maybe?

Lisa B! πŸ˜€

yeah, I’m sure most people could benefit from a blanket bundle every now and then, right?? πŸ˜€ have a great weekend, friend!

He looks adorable! Glad to hear that it works for him too. Baby doesn’t have those kinds of issues, probably because she is spoiled rotten and rarely has to be alone for long. πŸ˜‰

yeah, it’s a pretty neat thing! nothing beats sitting in our lap being WITH us, but this helps! I sometimes put it on him when he’s just agitated… when Jason goes to band practice at night, Basil sometimes freaks out for a while, watching the door and crying… this helps him calm. I’m so happy sweet Baby doesn’t have similar issues! πŸ˜€

I read a book about Temple Brandin (it was about autism and similar disorders) and think she is one of the coolest people on the planet. Now I have to see the movie!

oh, you really do!! I’m not always a fan of Claire Danes, but she was AWESOME as Temple. It was a made for television movie, so it was nominated for Emmys, and it won SEVEN!! Temple herself was in the audience, and oh, it was just so cool I’m tearing up just typing this again! Inspirational, indeed! Go find the movie!! πŸ˜€

21. Thundershirt says

Although you are correct, we do not know you or Basil we did just stumble upon this and want to tell you thank you!! Thank you for saying such nice things about our product and helping us spread the word! We also love the pictures of Basil that you shared:) We are so happy that Thundershirt has helped Basil so much!! Have a great weekend!

thank YOU for saying hello :) Basil loves your product – and many people have commented and emailed with questions, so they might be ordering! Cheers, Kristina

I know Rachel, it is SO sad to me too (I am one of those who really feels for animals… even more than humans sometimes!). and thank you, Basil says thanks πŸ˜‰

22. Lynette Cruz says

I heard about thubndershirts just didnt believe if they worked or not! bI have a Jack Ryussell terrier who could use a whole thundershirt ensemble!! LOLOL

aawww, CHICO! he is SO cute, and that bed looks awesome! what a sweetie. (and thank you, Basil says thank you!) πŸ˜‰

What a great idea, and Basil is soooo cute in it!

I wonder if this would have worked for Little-bit (he had severe separation anxiety), he didn’t mind wearing his winter coat so he might have actually enjoyed wearing the Thundershirt. I’ll have to keep it in mind for future canine companions. :)

aw, Little-bit… <3 it may have… it really IS a great idea, it works for Basil! he loves it (and it does look kinda cute…) :)

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for posting about this. We are embarking on an adventure (of sorts) next year that will require Minnie to fly with us. This might be one of the things to ease her nervousness…

I am very much attached to my dog and he is a good companion. But for the last few months I have found that my pet is becoming irritated and feels uncomfortable. I took him to the doctor to make him relaxed but nothing changed. I came across with this product and was confused whether it will heal the problem or not. But now I think that I have made an intelligent decision and my dog now feels relaxed and calm.

I have a yorkie and really need to invest in a rain coat! Why is it, that when we’re looking for something in particular it’s no where to be found?? Last year they were all over the place, now, not so much. Thundershirt is super cute though! And so is Basil of course :)

27. Liz says

I also have a rescued dachshund that suffers from separation anxiety. After 3 years of trying everything I could find (even an animal communicator to ask him what I could do to help!) I finally put him on medication and it’s helped a great deal. I know how heart wrenching it is to see your dog so upset by your absence. I hope Basil enjoys his alone time soon!