Photography Friday

…or should it be Phonetic Photography Friday?

Is it still alliteration if it’s phonetic?

I don’t know, but I do know this post is for the birds.

I recently realized I like birds, both feathered and friends. and friends.

Okay, this is where the alliteration ends.

I had parakeets in high school – Floyd (who had a pink cage) and Clayton. Jason had a bird he named Derek Smalls on bass.

I also lived with Jericho the parrot in college, and I’ve been bitten by a goose!

My bird fascination is mainly photographical, I think. Capturing them is the challenge I like – they don’t generally sit still long.

These photos so far were all from our recent trip to Seattle – they liked to share our balcony.

The fascination goes back a ways, though.

Remember the birds on the roof, all over our yard and peeking into the skylight? Yikes.

and the sweet seagull at the shore.

And that HUGE bird in our area that I finally got a photo of:

Twice the size of Basil and… in our back yard.

My little Basil loves his sunshine. His second love is chasing birds through the yard. He usually goes for the smaller birds, though.

Do you like birds, or are you like many who have a fear of them?Β

Comments

I LOVE birds. I grew up with cockatiels as pets since I was 5 or 6 and adored them. I gravitate towards birds in nature and always take photos of them too. The only birds that recently scared me were geese who chased my husband and I when we got a little too close to them. :)

I especially love singing birds, and tweeting birds, and parrots. I love watching birds and am really only afraid of evil eyed crows and we have huge hawks here that are pretty creepy. Love ducks, cardinals, blue jays, humming birds and penguins. I could do without flamingos (at least the plastic kind). The only birds I absolutely despise are the ones in Hitchcocks THE BIRDS. Those are freeeakky. And of course, I also adore both of our purple loving bird blogger friends too. :)

Have a great weekend Kris!!

hee hee – um, I have two of those plastic flamingoes… πŸ˜‰ growing up spending time in Hawaii, I love flamingoes.. they are kinda hiding in my back yard right now… πŸ˜‰

I love birds — my Dad is a total bird lover (he’s in a few bird watching groups!) and he would always point out birds and such when we were younger. There is a large eagle’s next within a mile or two of our house and whenever I drive by I like to try to see her up in her nest.

Jason HATES the geese around here — he calls them Walking Shit Factories. I don’t mind them except for when they walk across the road and take their sweet time getting to the other side.

that is awesome to grow up with your dad teaching you about birds so you have an appreciation for them now. and Jason made me laugh – my Jason calls some of the birds around here “Rats of the Skies” especially when we lived in the city – they were crazy aggressive! :)

Birds scare the shizz out of me. This summer I was driving with the windows down when a bird flew into my car, hit the door too hard, died and then landed in between the back and my seat. SO effing disgusting. I almost threw up!!!!

BIRDS!! You know this makes me happy. I just received a text from Billy (he’s out of town) that said, “How’s my birdie?” Made my day. Happy Friday, friend!

6. spabettiemom says

Birds..Birds..Birds..Oh you know I love birds..in the yard, flying in vee formation and honking, running on the beach, but especially on wires ..in the winter they all gather on the wires as close together as possible and close to the transformers…to keep warm..so awsome…and I like to see them all lined up on the signs that go over the freeway (turn-off signs)…and in my bird baths …I just know I will be or have been a bird in another life…Oh My….

yep – every time I see birds on a wire (so cute!) I think of you! and almost every time I see a crow, I think of MaryJo… πŸ˜€

I have a love/hate relationship with birds. Let me explain: I love bird – I think they are beautiful – but birds hate me. I’m not sure why but I have been pecked and pooped on by more random birds than I care to remember. Also, while apartment hunting for the first time in Chicago a pigeon actually flew directly into me. Random. And a bit scarring. But enough about me and birds. Can I fly you to Chicago so you can teach me your photography skills?! Oh, and you have to bring Basil as well. Roosevelt would be upset if you didn’t. πŸ˜‰

Molly, I have heard MANY times that being pooped on by a bird is GOOD LUCK!! πŸ˜€ (perhaps that is just what they tell you to make you feel better?) πŸ˜‰ birds flying into you – DEFINITELY something you remember!! my first time visiting Austin, as soon as we walked outside at the airport, a grackel DIVE BOMBED me! now those are some crazy birds

and Basil and I would LOVE a trip to Chicago! πŸ˜‰

I think I have told you this before?? that is GOOD luck… to be… “blessed” by a bird! πŸ˜‰ maybe that’s just what people tell you after it happens, to make you feel better! πŸ˜€ I suppose I might look at them differently if I lived by the beach?

we have SO many crows around here… I think… I’ve heard we have NO crows in Oregon, that the black birds (like the ones peeking through the skylight) are ravens?? I don’t know – they seem incredibly smart to me, and they DO congregate in large groups – in my yard!! πŸ˜€ my Grandpa Z loved hummingbirds…

I am a big fan of birds. They are ace. My favourite birds are pied wagtails – they have the greatest bobbing tails. I’ve been lucky enough to see some amazing birds in the wild, puffins (they are beautiful), some sea eagles and even a peregrine falcon! Though I can even spend ages staring at the pigeons & seagulls we have here in Glasgow.

wow – you have seen some great birds – that is neat. I am wowed each time I see the big cranes we have here (we live close to a lake, they love it!), I can’t imagine seeing an eagle or falcon!

Birds are very interesting to me—around here I don’t notice them so much (squirrels are all over the place though). But the other day I was standing outside and saw a huge bird flying overhead—the sound of its wings flapping was totally amazing. It just made think about how cool it is birds are made to fly…

oh, we have many squirrels around here – they taunt Basil and drive him crazy!! πŸ˜€ hearing the wings, that IS a big bird!!

Loving all the bird pics. You know my husband is a bird keeper at the San Diego Safari Park? We’re crazy about birds over here! :) Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend!

oh my GOSH, I did NOT know that!! πŸ˜€ oh, all the more reason for me to come visit someday – maybe get a behind the scenes tour with the birds? we ARE having a great weekend, hope you all are too! XO

oh dear! the bird thing? I have a history… a long sordid one…. of not having a great relationship with birds.
    a group of them attacked me (quite literally) trying to get my paper mache stuff when I was 8.
    true story.
    just like the movie.
    birds like me – or like to torture me – my kurly krazy hair I think is attractive for nesting material LOL
    But I’m thinking that I would have liked Floyd. In his pink cage.

aw, I am SO sorry! it seems the ones who have a fear or dislike are like you – something pretty horrifying happened. I bet it IS your hair!!

(Pink) Floyd was a gentle soul – you would have liked him! πŸ˜€

hee – I wonder if that is why I “like” them too? I only just started watching “scary” movies… um… a few years ago. and The Birds is still not one of them πŸ˜‰ and I’m glad you see what I see in the seagull – he looks “cute” to me, like you can see his personality – cheeky is a PERFECT way to describe it! πŸ˜€

• says

I absolutely *hate* scary movies! I can’t watch them because they give me almost physical pain, and the pictures stay with me for months or even years. The dead old man with his eyes picked out? No, thanks! One time is definitely enough!!!!!!!

LOVE LOVE the bird shots. And love the Basil shot as well!!! The only birds that freak me out (and I have NO idea why) are those big white cockatiels. (like Baretta had?) Their big talon feet kinda creep me out. We had a budgie for YEARS when I was a kid, his feet were fine. :) Hope you have a good week Kristina!!!

“his feet were fine” – ha! I absolutely know what you mean – those things look like they would do damage!

and thank you – cheers to a great week – hope yours is good too!

oh, I am SO happy someone gets it!! you are the only one who said anything about Derek Smalls. this makes me love you even more, you know. πŸ˜€

Love the pic of the sweet seagull (and the post with the back story)! :)

I grew up with parakeets and had a cockatiel in college. I now have a hummingbird feeder (about 5 birds visit my feeder). I just love to look at birds, I’ll stop what I’m doing to smile and watch birds. The other day a bunch of crows were flying and perching around here, it was awesome to just walk around and be near them, so many of them, it was magical! πŸ˜€

you definitely sound like a bird lover! :) seems people really enjoy them or they are SCARED completely by them! my Grandpa Z had hummingbird feeders, he loved to watch them! (and I remember the big containers of red sugar water in my grandparent’s fridge…) πŸ˜€