pumpkin smoothie

I know. I just shared my chai-spiked pumpkin milkshake. A glorious thing, you all agreed. A few of you asked for the pumpkin smoothie I make. I am currently enjoying these on vacation, so here it is!

We enjoy these smoothies in the morning.

Basil enjoys the sunshine in the morning.

Basil looking out over Elliot Bay.

He finds his patch of sunshine and will follow it along the balcony all morning…

You know he’s wondering if his smoothie is ready yet

pumpkin smoothie

serves two

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

4-5 handfuls spinach (a VitaMix full!)
2 cups water
3 scoops vanilla protein
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons sweetener (agave)
ice cubes (optional)

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend; add ice cubes for icy cold smoothie.Β

These are easy to make on vacation – you know I travel with my blender. Bring a couple cans of pumpkin with you, and since this road trip was only a few hours drive, I brought my own spinach, too. I always travel with protein powder (I think even if I forget to pack it I have a couple sample packages in my handbag at all times) and pumpkin pie spice is easy enough to pack.

Cheers!

Do you bring food on road trips?

Comments

I’m with Basil, in that I chase sunshine and good (easy) vegan food πŸ˜‰

And although I don’t vacation, I do travel for work and make sure to take staples with me. Most hotels don’t have a fridge, but I bring Larabars, almonds, oatmeal, dried fruit, shredded wheat, etc. to fill in the gaps. Truth be told, I make room for these things before my shoes in my bags. No shame!

well, I can’t say I don’t think about my shoes, too, but… equally as much as the food, I suppose! πŸ˜‰

I take food literally everywhere I go! Tony used to call them my hobo snacks, but now that his options are limited he packs some too! I need that smoothies! I just worked out and now I need super fuel! Have fun and relax on your trip. Steal some of that sun from Basil!

hobo snacks, ha! it’s good, though, and I bet Tony has benefited from you having snacks available when he is hungry!! πŸ˜€ and I definitely shared the sun with Basil…

I only take my blender when it’s easy… and I’m not fanatical about it, I do eat regular food… I just LOVE my morning smoothie! πŸ˜€ (I stop at bringing my juicer…)

I know – dogs do have it pretty good – this one does, at least. πŸ˜€ and he LOVES the sun. he’d sit out in the sun all day during the summer… yes – nut butter packets! last month my dad was in the hospital and I was hungry… I ate a nut butter packet and got a couple looks… πŸ˜‰

Ha! DO I bring food on trips? I’ve been thinking more about what snacks I’ll back for Foodbuzz this weekend than what I’m going to wear. :)

I cannot believe that during the whole VeganMoFo I so neglected your blog…so happy to be back! [And you would have been proud of me yesterday when I had to do a live cooking demo at work and I made Vegan Pumpkin Mousse!!!]

yay, there you are! too busy MoFo-ing to read? πŸ˜€ good to see you! and I am SO excited you’re taking vegan to the cooking demos! you don’t even have to tell people, just do it! πŸ˜€ yay!

have fun at foodbuzz!!

Basil is such a sun pup… he will lay in a patch of sun all afternoon. (yep, must be nice!). I add pumpkin to smoothies a lot, but this time of year, yeah, gotta make it taste seasonal! πŸ˜€

I am going to book a ticket and come take Basil on a weekend getaway. Aww, missing my baby now, lol.

Glad your back and refreshed!

Packing clothes is enough to take hours, I can’t imagine something as creative as this. You’ve one up’d me here:)

aww… I know. he’s coming soon, right? sweet little guy. <3 Basil sends love and full body wags to you in the meantime…

what, spinach too much? πŸ˜€ usually I just go shopping when I arrive, but… it’s less than a 3 hour drive and I already had it. πŸ˜‰

I always ALWAYS bring food when I travel. Whether it’s a road trip or somewhere that I travel to on an airplane, I HAVE to have my essentials and healthy options with me. I usually bring apples, bananas, a few different bars, nuts and dried fruit. Whenever we visit my father-in-law in Boston, I bring all the essential ingredients for oatmeal as well. I don’t bring any appliances with me though. :) But, I did used to travel with a sound machine before I found a trusty app on my phone for it!
    About the smoothie- I make punkin’ smoothies all the time- I love them! But, I always freeze the pumpkin puree (which requires pre-planning of course). Do you ever do that?

you sound like me – air travel requires snacks, and I always bring the exact same! I’ve never really enjoyed airplane food (although sometimes I’m surprised!!), so I’ve always brought my own.

you know, I’ve been meaning to freeze my pumpkin!! I love to use frozen fruit in smoothies in place of having to use ice, so it would seem natural to do it with the pumpkin too! I’m just so used to (almost) always having pumpkin in the fridge, I use it a lot. I’m going to freeze some tonight! πŸ˜€

I SO wish I could pack my vita mix with me on vacation! I mean if drivingI can, but no good with flying!

Oh I want to see Basil in his costume!!! I thought you would have it packed ; )

well, yeah, I only take the Vita in the car… never have on the plane (yet!) πŸ˜‰ did you not see Basil’s costume before?? –> Basil turtle < -- I'll see if I have any left on my phone from this trip, I think somethings were not transferred from bluetooth...

Definitely bring food on the road with me. I also have a little travel pack that I take with me whenever I fly with a bar, gummy bears and granola just in case I get stranded somewhere and don’t want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for food.

And because I’m random…..I now have the visual of you chilling in a rest stop blending a smoothie together while hoards of people walk by you thinking “Is she really blending a smoothie here at the rest stop?” Could be a business-just sayin :)

PS-I guess I really want you to open up your business since I keep throwing the idea out there!

Awwww little Basil….Hudson always finds the most random sun spots in the condo. Sometimes he’s in my den under my desk, sometimes he’s pinned himself behind the couch and the window. Funny sun lover!

Mmmmm I love smoothies!!!! I always take them to go with me!

xxoo

just a few sunny mornings left in seattle.. basil is super cute!.. if u bump into a fluffy black and tan pom wit a white and black bushy tail carrying a tennis ball.. that would be our chewie.. the only pom in belltown/downtown area who carries his tennis ball:) ..
    I am at Western and Vine.. a block from the piers.. give me a holler on betit19 on twitter if you are passing by on your way to the sculpture park! :) we’d love to meet u!

Hi Erika, if you do not want to add protein, this would be good without – perhaps add a banana for some natural sweetness and ‘bulk’.

I crave smoothies on an hourly basis. I’m always looking for new ideas – the good news is that I have ALL of this on hand. Breakfast tomorrow! (Or late night snack tonight. Dang blender, I wish it wasn’t so loud, I’m afraid to wake the baby.)