chocolate cherry mint smoothie

When I was a kid, I got to walk around on Halloween night with The Hulk.

My best friend’s dad was a body builder, and each year he would paint his upper body and face green, and wear a tank top. As far as I recall, he simply wore regular pants, nothing ripped up Hulk-like. He loved walking around with all us kids, and we were obviously safe with The Hulk walking around with us.

I always thought that was pretty neat back then, and looking back now, I appreciate it even more. He was definitely one of my favorite ‘parents of a friend’ – he had the best sense of humor and always cracked me up. I used to go to church with their family, and he would purposely make me laugh by pretending to nod off snoring.

But that’s a story for another day.

Today’s smoothie is a recovery drink a bodybuilder or The Hulk would enjoy – from tart cherries which provide natural anti inflammatory properties to protein and these Ormus Greens – wow. They give me more energy! You all know I like my nutrients and minerals from the real deal – spinach and kale and other fruits and veggies – but these Ormus Greens really boast some great statsΒ and I like to use this after a workout or as a snack. Ormus Greens is where the peppermint comes from, too.

chocolate cherry mint smoothie

a.k.a “The Hulk Smoothie”

serves one

1 1/4 cup water
2 scoops Sunwarrior raw chocolate protein
1 scoop Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens
1 tablespoon maca
1 tablespoon chia
large handful frozen tart cherriesΒ

All into the blender – Blend! Pour! Enjoy!

The first time I made this, as I was throwing the cherries in I thought “this is not going to taste good” but I was pleasantly surprised. The cherries are more of a tartness than a strong flavor, the chocolate is… well, chocolate, and the mint is a nice strong flavor.

Did you know any parents who would dress up on Halloween?
Did they also goof off in church? πŸ˜‰

*Last I checked, my pepper jacks were in first place!! If you have not already voted, I would so appreciate if you did! Those who have – thank you Thank You THANK YOU again!Β

YAY for your recipe being in first place!!! SO excited! Will vote again!

Oh that is so cool about your dads friend dressing up like Hulk and taking you around trick or treating, how cool!

Happy Friday! This smoothie looks so great, everytime I think cherry I think red, and its funny its green, cherry is in there though I know!

I know… these cherries don’t really have the prominent color?? and these greens are REALLY green! πŸ˜€

Happy Friday Katie!

thank you, Averie! :) FG likes me lately (knock on wood…) and TS has been liking me more too… not every time, but many more than … usual. πŸ˜‰ you made butterfingers?! I need to check these out…

Yup, my parents always dressed up. My mom would dress up to walk me around the neighborhood (nothing major, something simple), and both of them would dress up for their yearly Halloween party. I had to go sleep at a friend’s place those nights. haha

so awesome – I love when parents get into the spirit. and you spent the night at a friend’s – that is even awesomer – must have been great parties!

I love that minty flavor too! I just recently started using frozen cherries, and LOVE them – I add them to everything now.

hi Anne! I really like the chocolate raw powder and the greens… the only one I am not TOO much of a fan of is the vanilla, kindof a strong stevia taste. everything else, I LOVE! and I am picky, I’ve tried them all. πŸ˜‰

haa. I know, lame? okay, to be fair, I was doing this way back in college. before it was a thing. of course, back then it was beer.

Well my Dad was the pastor so he for sure didn’t goof off during church… I take that back — if he wasn’t preaching that Sunday he would goof off!

I love the story of the Hulk! My Dad would wear his bright orange hunting gear when he walked around with us — that way he was in “costume” as a hunter. Plus he stayed warm so that was a bonus for him!

I like the combo of chocolate + cherry and chocolate + mint, but all three together sounds awesome!

My parents apparently used to have wild Halloween parties back in the 70s before I was born. I found all of these ridiculous old photos of them and their friends in amazing (sometimes dirty) costumes. Man, I wish they were still that cool!

On my first halloween, my parents dressed up as raggedy ann and andy, and I was their rag doll :)
    My mom has always been very into all the holidays, so we’ve always done something super fun for Halloween. We were the people who built a haunted maze in our back yard every year…haha.

Yum! Looks awesome!
    None of my friends’ parents were that much fun…but my dad was a 5th grade teacher so he dressed up for school on halloween (a clown and a bat were the ones I remember).

hi Lauren – I am not a big fan of that taste either – the vanilla does taste a little like that to me, so I add things to it (or don’t buy it – ha!) but the chocolate does NOT. it’s good… and these Ormus Greens are SO awesome, and taste like mint. so good! if you’re interested, I bet they’d send you a sample?

I use one of my old scoops, Christin – but there SHOULD be one in there?? I usually find it about halfway through the bag… πŸ˜‰

hmm… I could have sworn my past bag had one ( this is only my second bag, and I thought I felt one in there the other day too… haven’t tried to dig it out yet. I use a smaller scoop, it’s definitely not the same size as the Sunwarrior protein scoop, so your teaspoons are probably just fine! πŸ˜€

I love green too! πŸ˜€ at least in food… chocolate and cherries… Mmm! I’m a new convert to the frozen cherries in my smoothies, and I’m LOVING them!

love the name – the hulk! and love all that green!!!
    we tried Ormus powder a few months ago and liked it, but lately we have been enjoying our spirulina and chorella powders.

I do not really remember our parents dressing up for Halloween , they left us kids being silly like that. LOL

I love spirulina... I remember back as far as college (that was a while ago for me!) I used spirulina and people looked at me like I was crazy. πŸ˜‰

i just wanted to say that i am a fairly new follower and i absolutely love your blog.. you have given me tons of potential recipes to try inspired by you :-) thanks

hello Cassandre! welcome, so happy you said hello! I’m really happy you will be trying some recipes, please do come back and let me know how they work out! Cheers!

Over the summer, I was adding greens to all my in season berry smoothies. Didn’t exactly like the color (think strawberry +green + chocolate), but the taste didn’t take a toll :) I like to call it a chocolate- green monster shake :)

I also enjoy adding macs powder to my oats, smoothies, etc, but people have told me to be careful with the amount…. promise I haven’t felt anything yet!

yeah, I know how that looks – I have enjoyed the very same “colorful” smoothies, believe me! πŸ˜‰ they do taste great, though! and yes – maca is to be enjoyed in small doses, I wouldn’t want to overdo that.

Haha on the parents dressing up for Halloween also goofing off in church! Love this photo, Kristina! I’d sure like to see your “prop” closet, missy. Or is a whole room? πŸ˜‰

haa haa, Shirley – I have thought before about doing a post about my photography, and including photos of my prop area. it is a pretty big space. πŸ˜€ I’ll work on that… XXO

Go Pepper-Jacks, go!

What a cool “Hulk” Dad… I would so love to experience a Halloween in the States, you guys are nutty for it over there, looks like a blast :)

haa – you’re right, we ARE nutty for it here! it is one of my favorites. you really should come experience it sometime!!