rosemary apricot tahini bites

I have always wanted to get a second dachshund as a companion for Basil. A girl doxie, and we’d name her Rosemary.

Rosemary is another of my favorite flavors, and Jason loves it too. In fact it makes me think of Jason – he lived on Rosemary Street in college. As cardamom was my spice of the summer, rosemary may be my autumn herb.

Longtime readers know my obsession with chickpea balls and bites, both sweet and savory. Heck, even my new readers are quickly catching on.

My good friend Heather recently made my tomato basil bean balls, and they looked awesome over spaghetti. Another dear friend Kris is like my chickpea partner in crime – constantly thinking of new flavors.

The last creation that Kris made was the inspiration for these. A while ago, she tweeted me about a rosemary raisin pairing, and we talked about sunbutter being a good base with the chickpeas. Her resulting creation looks good!

I’m not a big raisin fan unless they are in oatmeal cookies, although Kris’ cookies do look good. I have been wanting to create a chickpea tahini ball. The rosemary sounded good, and apricot goes well with rosemary for a sweet savory flavor.

What a flavor it is.

rosemary apricot tahini bites

vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free

1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed andΒ peeled
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon butter (Earth Balance Natural Spread)
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped

3 sprigs rosemary, stripped from stem and chopped
1-2 tablespoons water (optional, as needed)

Rinse and peel chickpeas, add to food processor.Β Process alone until crumbly/creamy, add tahini and butter, continue to process. Add apricots and rosemary, blend. Add water as needed to make dough. Form into one inch balls and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.Β

These are so good! They have a slight crunch on the exterior, with a soft middle. The apricots provide enough sweet that no added sugars are necessary, and the tahini gives a mild savory goodness. The rosemary is a strong flavor that rounds out the ball (ha!).

I just may have to send some to Kris…

What herb or spice do you use a lot? Do you like sweet and savory combinations?

Do you have a pet, and what’s their name? πŸ˜€

Comments

Oh my word this is such a creative combo of flavors, and I love every single one. I’m a huge rosemary fan. Also- thyme and sage… I love adding sage and rosemary to autumny dishes, especially winter squash. And tahini- love it!

thank you, Katie Girl! I’ve been wanting to do a tahini bite for a while, I’m really happy with the result! πŸ˜€ Happy Wednesday! XO

I love rosemary. I was cooking with it yesterday actually and thinking about how the smell just brings back so many holiday memories. Rosemary is my fall/winter herb and basil is my summer. It’s funny your dog is named basil b/c as a kid when my parents first told us we were getting a dog, I instantly wanted to name it basil! My brother told me it was stupid and he got to pick the name since I picked the dog. Now, my dog’s name is Ginger. Apparently, I have a thing for herbs/spices with my pet’s names πŸ˜‰

Gina, that is awesome! I love that you wanted Basil as a kid, and now you have Ginger – aww! (what kind of pup is Ginger?) πŸ˜€ Basil is definitely my summer herb, my favorite (if you couldn’t tell!). The scent of rosemary does that to me too – instantly holiday and cozy cold weather feeling! I think Basil needs a Rosemary, don’t you? :)

These are a thing of beauty! I’d never thought of putting apricot and rosemary together but I can see how they’d totally work, you are a freaking genius girl.
    I love sweet and savoury together and one of the herbs or spices I use the mostest (apart from pepper that is ‘cos I put that shatang in everything) would be parsley. That stuff gets added to pretty much all savoury dishes.
    I have 3 cats, Boo Radley, Dr Blowfin and Flip Flop.
    :-)

ah, Jeni, your cats have the best names! πŸ˜€ I love them. apricot and rosemary – you must try!! it’s wild. I rarely use parsley… I may need to start?

haa – you just made me laugh out loud, my friend – thank you. πŸ˜‰ I bet you could… any blender? if you don’t have a food processor (or a Vita…) πŸ˜‰ you could mash the beans and mix by hand. they’ll have a little different texture but should taste just as awesome.

thank you, Averie! and yes, the flavors are really good together – and I fed them to several people, so it’s not just me and my weird tastes! πŸ˜€

Spabettie, I love you! I only recently discovered your blog (don’t know how I’ve missed THIS gem for so long) and I’m so in awe of your recipes and pictures. It’s a thing of beauty. I am going to make the tomato basil bean balls tonight and the rosemary apricot bites sound perfect for Thanksgiving time! (P.S. when my husband graduates we might be moving to Portland and I plan on sitting outside your house every day with a pouty face until you agree to cook every meal for me!)

aw, Yay! this made my day – hi Hally! πŸ˜€ I hope you LOVE the tomato basil bean balls… we make them a lot and loooooove them! I am now reading your blog, I’ve added you to my reader and look forward to getting to know you more. Portland is a beautiful place for anyone, but especially a vegan (have you been here before!?) πŸ˜€

• says

Yay! Thanks for checking out my blog, that’s great! I haven’t been to Portland yet, but it seems like everyone from my hometown (Tucson) is migrating to Portland lately. We plan on visiting next year to scope it out, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna love it!

I HOPE Basil will love it… maybe skeptical at first, but I think he’d warm up to another.

and I am SO HAPPY Indy has finally joined you, right?? little sweetie <3

this sounds like an interesting flavor combo, i’ll have to give it a try! they look delicious. i love rosemary. i have a big pot of it in my window but i don’t use it nearly enough. i also love using basil. i have two cats, the big one is scratchy and the little one is saffy (full name saffron) :)

hi Rachel!! ANOTHER pet named after an herb or spice!! πŸ˜€ we have my Basil, hopefully a Rosemary someday, a Ginger, and now a Saffron! I love it. I hope you try these – the flavors are really good!

now, why didn’t I think of that?
    I like apricots MUCH more than raisins – ha!
    superbamundo!
    you are SUCH a doll – these look amazing!
    gotta love me some rosemary and sweet goodness.
    And uh, Rosemary Lane?
    And Rosemary the Doxie?
    precious :)
    xoxoxo

you need to try these! if you still have sunflower butter it would work in place of tahini! wouldn’t Rosemary the Doxie be SO cute? Rosie…

First off, thank you for the shout out πŸ˜‰ Second, those look amazing! And I absolutely love the idea of a companion named Rosemary. Too cute. One day I will have a chocolate cocker named Charlie (as in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

you are so welcome, dear. I am glad you finally made them! πŸ˜€ aww! I love Charlie the Chocolate Cocker!! πŸ˜€

8. Laura says

OMG!! I feel so sinful just reading your posts and looking at the pictures. I do not have enough time to make all these but am going to have to find a way b/c the serious yumminess that you create is just mouthwatering. I bet even my kids would eat most of them, too, a huge bonus. I think I’m going to just find the time to cook on Sunday!!!
    We have two dogs, both lab mixes. Gus, is a big lab/shar pei mix w/ a blue tongue. Bella is a mismatched girl, lab body, beagle head and legs but lab feet. She is the sweetest dog ever!!! They love each other so much, its so cute to watch them. Usually gives me a toothache! lol

aw, I love when dogs are sweet to each other… I really want a second one and want them to be that way too! πŸ˜€ pets are just so awesome.

I hope you find time to cook this weekend – you’ll have to let me know if you make anything of mine and if they do indeed pass the all-important Kid Test! :)

Aw, man! These are the my kind of balls! Err…I mean, bites.
    For real. LOVE apricot and LOVE rosemary. Never thought to pair the two! I know what I will be doing this weekend. (It is high time they just start selling pre-peeled Chickadees).

I will also most likely be having a peanut butter and apricot jam wrap with rosemary.

GIRL, you said it!! it is definitely worth peeling those little buggers, but whew it takes a while! πŸ˜€ I hope you make these – let me know how you like them! xo

• spabettiemom says

Hi Sarena~…Well; we have two dachshunds and also they are brothers…named Jake and Elwood (Blues Brothers)…so I guess the secret is out…we are nerds too…but then my daughter already knew that..!!!HeeHee

I am so intrigued by this flavor–and I always want to find ways to use up my giant jar of tahini. I’m hoping I have time to make these in the next few week :)

I don’t have many flavor combinations that I DON’T like…I’m a pretty all inclusive eater πŸ˜‰

all inclusive – I like that! πŸ˜€ I hope you make these, Natalie, they are GOOOOD! that tahini lasts a long time, doesn’t it? πŸ˜€

These look so good, I just want to pop one in my mouth right now! I FINALLY just ordered a good food processor, so I can start bookmarking recipes that call for one instead of having to dismiss them…this recipe will definitely be at the top of my list to try once it arrives!

hi Genevieve! congrats on the processor – I use mine all the time! I would be honored if a recipe of mine is the first! πŸ˜‰ let me know how it goes, have fun!!

• says

I just made these last night and they turned out perfect! I love the flavour, and they are so cute too! I ate them both cold and warmed up, and I liked them both ways. Thanks for the great recipe!

aw, Dorian! πŸ˜€ glad you like the rosemary too – rosemary and apricot really pairs well together! πŸ˜€

I know we all wish that we could just reach through the screen and taste all your creations! I’m dying to try this one, but don’t know if I actually want to make it. πŸ˜‰ Looks fabulous though. The apricot factor makes them look cheesy, so I’m sure I’d be surprised after biting into one, even though I know it’s not cheese. Know what I mean?

xo,
    Shirley

it’s funny you say that, Shirley! every time I look at the photos, especially the top one here, I think it looks like cheese too – reminds me of a cheesy biscuit

sharing via computer screen – wouldn’t that be something, if it were that easy to share these?? if anyone would think of that it would be a food writer! πŸ˜‰ Happy Weekend!

yes, you are so right about the apricot “punch” ! they have such great flavor, and it’s all the sweet you need. I am so very happy with this combination…

Such a great idea! I love rosemary as well. This reminds me of a butternut squash “hummus” I made with rosemary and tahini. Dried figs would probably be awesome in these too!

My other favorite thing is to add heat to dishes with red pepper flakes or ancho, or paprika.

yes – I have made a fig ball, haven’t shared yet πŸ˜‰ dates are good too. your butternut squash hummus sounds GOOD!

have a great weekend, Laura!

I love sweet and savory flavors, especially paired together. These balls look fantastic. I’m not crazy about tahini, but I keep trying it in things, you know, just in case this time is the time I finally like it.

I have an adopted Russian Blue kitty baby and her name is Miso. Sweet Miso.

aww, Miso! I love that. you could replace the tahini with a mild nut butter, or sunflower seed butter? the tahini is really just a hint of flavor here, you might like it! :)

yay! that seems to be a common fact that I really didn’t know about – but I have a feeling I’ll be pairing them more often now.

Yum! I am so making these, I love apricot flavoured anything, especially when combined with tahini (tahini+ apricot jam on toast = favourite!) Love sweet/savoury combos, it’s that balance between the two that makes it so delicious. I use a lot of cumin, and any kind of fresh herb I can get my hands on – cilantro, mint, anything! Have you tried authentic unsulphured turkish dried apricots? They are amazing – almost a caramel flavour (they are brown so not so attractive) but so sweet and gooey – great in desserts.

I don’t know if I have tried turkish apricots, but now I want to!! :) I will look for them… I hope you do make these, and you’ll have to let me know how you like them!

16. Jenna says

wow!!! I cant wait to try these, I made your chickpea cookies once and they were good, the flavors here sound interesting!

I’m not a BIG sweets person either, Celyn, but these are sweet in a subtle way, you know? the apricots give the sweetness but it’s natural… and they have savory flavors too, you might like them! :)

17. Sarah says

these flavors are amazing! I love the tahini with the apricot. I added less rosemary because I am not a big fan (I know..). I really like your recipes, you are very creative with ingredients!

18. Anna Doddridge says

I am just getting ready to make these and I’m super excited! I don’t have a food processor, so I will be mashing the chickpeas by hand. I’ll post back with my results. Thanks for the inspiring recipe!

oh, good! can’t wait to hear how they turn out! they will be a different texture, I imagine, but should taste the same… enjoy! πŸ˜€

19. Allison says

I love the idea of these, and they DO look like a cheese biscuit….. the flavors will be perfect together, great job!!!

20. Melissa says

my friend made these and I tried to take them all home!! I love these, and now I love your website too! just spent a while looking around and was so distracted (like by shiny beautiful things – your photos are gorgeous and recipes delectable!!!) I forgot I came here to tell you I love this recipe! thank you!

haa – I know that distraction all too well. πŸ˜‰ happy to hear you like it here, even if it’s a distraction πŸ˜‰ glad you liked these, they’re one of our favorite variations!

What a flavor combination! I’m intrigued. Now I just need to get some rosemary…

I probably use cinnamon the most (since I tend to dump about 1/2 a tablespoon in just about anything I make for breakfast) but I love using smoked paprika in my savory meals. It’s the only thing I need on a plate of roasted veggies…well that and maybe some sunbutter!

these are REALLY so good… the rosemary and apricot are awesome friends. Mmm, roasted veggies and sunbutter are awesome friends too… πŸ˜€

always a treat when I come here, where do you come up with all of these??? so creative and unique, one of my favorite blogs for “new” recipes!!

hi Caitlin! I have not had these as part of a meal, but I don’t see why they couldn’t top a big salad (especially warm, maybe crumbled or smaller size). since they have the sweet and savory thing happening, all I am thinking of is a salad of some sort – or in a salad wrap, with more tahini sauce on top. maybe I am just craving a salad? I hope that helps, and I hope you like them!

23. Vanessa M. says

LOL, I take it back – they’re AMAZING. I ate the entire pan in a half hour of having made them. My husband was sad to only get two, considering I originally made them for him (he hates most desserts because they’re too sweet for him) and the availability of being able to safely feed it to our baby. Our daughter loved the little bites I gave her, too. I guess I’m making a double/triple batch next time!

aw, thank you!! that makes me SO happy! I’m so glad you found something that the husband likes, I know the feeling of wanting something naturally sweet, not sugary sweet! and so happy your daughter is enjoying them as well! a big win all around! thanks for making me smile!

24. Rico says

I made these for an event tonite, they were gone right after I walked in the door! πŸ˜€ thank you, they are delicious!

25. Richelle says

this is my favorite snack lately, I have made several batches and dont see that ending soon LOL! the flavors are great, thank you!!

26. Tilson Tillie says

I made these this morning, we love them! you’re right, so bright! I love the flavors, they remind of spring. thank you!

thanks, Tilson! these are one of our favorites too, the bright flavors! :) I hope it doesn’t offend you to tell you I have named my car Tillie! I love the name, at any rate.

27. Sarah says

these are the tastiest freshest greatest treat!! thanks for an easy and awesome recipe my kids love them too.

28. Beth says

I took these to a potluck party yesterday, and now know the next time I make them which will be soon!! I will make at least a double batch LOL! they were popular and very good, thankyou!!

Hi I love your blog!! and this recipe of wonderful, I all ready try it and love it, I’m planing on making them for a wedding, do you know if I can make them in advance and how long they last??, my family did not give me the chance to save some and find out jijijiji they eat the all batches.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Nenis!

so happy everyone likes these! I have frozen these before – without knowing how many you are making, I’d say you could freeze them for a short time before the wedding? as you know they are fairly quick to make, so if it were me, I would make them a week ahead or so?

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Avigail, I have updated the recipe to be more clear – it is a 15 ounce can (almost 2 cups). thanks, enjoy! Kristina