seven layer tacos

Seven Layer Taco

Google Reader users were treated to a sneak preview of this over the weekend. After spending two full days at the hospital (Dad is recovering expeditiously!), I was too exhausted to sleep late Saturday evening, but exhausted enough to hit publish instead of draft save. Oops.

A teaser that also lets you know I do sometimes follow a meal plan, and we were looking forward to Taco Tuesday. Also? National Taco Day. We had to plan for and celebrate that.

We celebrated Taco Tuesday with my favorite seven layer dip, made into tacos!

Seven Layer Tacos

I still have quite the obsession with my noocho cheese sauce. I can’t get over the perfect blend of flavors. Buttery sweet, cheesy and spicy hot, it is truly the star of the seven layers, and stands well on its own, happily traveling on vehicles of chips and veggies.

I started out building these tacos in layers. After a couple, however, I would begin with the noocho cheese, spreading it all over the interior of the taco shell, followed by the remaining six flavor layers. Exceptional!

seven layer tacos

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

base layer – jalapeno beans
salsa spiced quinoa
Noocho Cheese Sauce
chopped lettuce and scallions
chopped tomatoes
sliced avocado
jalapeno soaked olives

Base layer – canned pinto beans (drained) and chopped jalapeno: I used 2 cans beans and 2 seeded jalapenos, processed in food processor to a blend of chunky/creamy.

Second layer – salsa spiced quinoa – quinoa cooked with dried and powdered “salsa flavors” added to the water: I used 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, I added 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons chili flakes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, bring to boil then simmer 25 minutes.

Third layer – Noocho Cheese Sauce.

Fourth through seventh layers – layer the lettuce and scallions, then tomato, then avocado, then olives.

Comments

these look taco-licious!!!! YUM!

Im sorry to hear about your dad : ( I hope he gets better fast : )

and you should be excited about being among those peeps ; ) you deserve it and congrats!

my dad is doing good – thanks for the well wishes <3

and yes, we loved these tacos… I’m not kidding that we may have them again tomorrow 😉

oh, girl. the noocho. I don’t know if you understand how much I stay away from words like nooch. this saucy sauce just makes me forget my head sometimes. Mmm!

I am such a huge fan of tacos…lately I’ve been making taco salad and really mixing everything together (it’s terribly ugly but delish!). I may try the layer method next time—this looks awesome!

oh, yeah, I know about the ugly – (we have made this seven layer dip into “bowls” – it doesn’t stay layered and nice looking for long!). the flavors are fantastic, though. 😉

I try to stay away from saying foods are “life changing” – AND… yes, I know what you mean! 😀 thank you, this is a great compliment! the noocho cheese IS pretty outstanding, if I can say so!!

Happy Thursday, my friend! XO

you know, Amanda, we just had these, and I WANT THEM RIGHT NOW TOO! 😀 one of our favorites – I hope you enjoy them just as much!

Happy Thursday to you!

Hey Doll!! What’s going on with your daddy??? I hope he feels better really, really soon!! Lots of love his way!!

I LOVE TACO’s!!! We used to make “hard” tacos when little all the time and I always had the same way I would build it. The cheese would go right on top of the warm meat and beans so it melted….jeez…now I don’t eat cheese or meat…LOL!

xxoo

thank you, Kris!! had surgery late last week, doing GREAT now! 😀

yep – I’m in the same place as you, with similar taco memories! these definitely surpass those for me!

Wow, those tacos look amazing! Your photos are beautiful, I’m a little “snapper-challenged” shall we say (doesn’t help having crappy ancient camera) so it’s all very inspiring. Hope all is well with your pa :)

thank you, Lou – for all the compliments AND especially well wishes for my Dad – he is going great! 😀

Gorgeous tacos, Kristina! I love to “recycle” recipes. :-) Looking forward to VeganMoFo. People seem to get very creative (and certainly profilic) during VeganMoFo. 😉

And I’m sorry to hear your dad is in the hospital, but grateful that he’s recovering well.

xo,
    Shirley

I love Vegan MoFo too – it’s overwhelming my reader but it’s FUN! Dad is doing great – thank you SO much for your support! XO Happy Thursday to you!

Mmmm these look fabulous! Can’t wait to see lots of yummy recipes from you for Vegan MoFo!! 😉 I Haven’t made noocho cheese sauce yet but it’s def on my to-do list. I’m afraid I’ll like it so much I’ll want to spoon-feed myself sauce all day long. ha!!

seriously. you WILL want to. it’s my new favorite thing, and the best part of making a new batch, cleaning out the processor – YUM. 😀

sorry to hear about your dad girlie. You’re in my thoughts!! I’m super close to my parents so I can understand the stress about worrying about a parents’ health! hang in there.

xo

thank you SO much, my friend. I appreciate that – I am close to my dad (I see him at least once a week!). he is doing good now! XO

I love using taco seasoned quinoa as the ‘meat’ in tacos. It pairs well with winter squashes and sweet potatoes. I haven’t made crunchy shell tacos in ages, thanks for the reminder that I can revisit an old, cheap, favorite!

you are very welcome, Lacey! :) these are in our top three favorites right now – we love tacos and the hard shells! :)

first off, sorry about your dad. That’s tough but glad to hear he’s on the mend and hope he continues to be.

Those tacos look so good! Yay for tacos!

10. Sharie says

your pictures are beautiful! these sound very good, I have not had a taco in a long time! layered dip even longer, probably!

hi Sarah!! I hope you do – the noocho cheese is still an obsession in this house. (well, maybe just with me…). 😉