blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins

in baking, Breakfast, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

I’m glad most of you liked the birds – those guys were fun to photograph. I still look at the photos and laugh – the bold guy in front is just so cute.

Yesterday I was up early as usual, and had a craving for a muffin for my birthday breakfast. I have been doing the juice fast again the last several days, and took a break yesterday as we had dinner plans (I will tell you all about it soon – fantastic dinner!). With plans to start the juice fast again today, I figured I could make some muffins worthy of a birthday and still be good for us.

So while I am enjoying juice for breakfast, I am sharing blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins with you.

One of my favorite muffins is blueberry, and one of my favorite quick breads is pumpkin. I bake with pumpkin like some bake with applesauce – as an oil replacement. I also had the cookie base of my vanilla coffee fudge bars in mind as I was imagining the flours I wanted to include here – for the grainy flavors and textures.

blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins

vegan, gluten free, dairy free, oil free

makes 10-12 muffins

3/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup garbanzo fava flour
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 tablespoons chia
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch sea salt
1 cup pumpkin
1/3 cup agave
3/4 – 1 cup blueberries

Combine flours, hemp and chia, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add pumpkin and agave, combine just until incorporated. Fold in blueberries. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full, bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Serve warm with melted Earth Balance. Mmm…

What is your favorite flavor muffin? Are you a pumpkin fan?

1 Laura September 28, 2011 at 8:06 am

OMG! Now I can’t wait until our weather cools down so I can get baking!! These look and sound amazing!!! In Denver today the temp is supposed to be in the high 80’s!! While I like it warm, it would be nice to have some fall weather so I can cook and the house can be filled w/ the smells of fall food!!!

2 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I know, Laura – I LOVE this time of year (cool temps and cozy weather are already here!). the house smelled so good yesterday after baking these, mmm!

3 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 28, 2011 at 8:28 am

I’m kinda bummed – I’ve looked everywhere for pumpkin and can’t find any!! It’s either being hoarded by foodies or my stores have received shipments yet. Either way, I need to get my hands on some!

4 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 28, 2011 at 8:29 am

5 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I remember that happened to me last year… you know what I ended up doing? (shhh…) ordering a case from Amazon. 12 cans, they expire in 2013. that’s where this can came from. :D

I hope you find some soon!

6 Jess September 28, 2011 at 8:29 am

Happy belated birthday my friend!! Those muffins look delicious, hope they hit the spot :)

7 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

thank you, Jess! :D and yep – the muffins did indeed hit the spot!

8 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 28, 2011 at 8:31 am

Sometimes you’re just such a tease ;-) I’m getting hungry so this isn’t helping LOL. I don’t eat muffins often but blueberry was always a fave. I also liked lemon poppy seed.

9 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm

yep, I know. it has to be done. I don’t often eat muffins either – I just had a craving and it WAS my birthday, after all! I loved lemon poppy seed as a kid… Mmmm.

10 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

Those look so yummy! Chocolate chip or blueberry muffins are my favorite. Extra big sugar crystals sprinkled on top isn’t something I hate either. :)

I see so much of my Caesar in your Basil!! So adorable!

11 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm

thanks, Jenn! I’m with ya, the crunchy sugary topping is always good. and YES – I knew there was doxie in Caesar right when I saw him!! such sweet faces. :)

12 Allie September 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

I have yet to try hempseeds, I’d definitely love to experiment with them–especially in tasty baked goods :D Blueberry & pumpkin sounds like an amazing combo.

13 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

we first tried hemp seeds last year, starting out adding them to smoothies… we were HOOKED. :D yep – blueberry and pumpkin = YUM.

14 Allie September 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Alrighty, they’re on my shopping list for my next trip to Whole Foods!

15 spabettie September 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm

let me know how you like them! :)

16 katie September 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi love! I missed you as I told you on twitter! I am back! YAY!

I came back to a great post too! These look amazing, I do not have millet or almond flour, boo : p

Loving these, and can’t wait to hear about the fantastic dinner!

xoxo <3

17 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

weee! just saw your tweet (had to go look for it, sorry, I am a BAD tweeter lately…) :D dinner post goes up tomorrow – such deliciousness! XXO! hope you’re getting settled in!

18 lindsay September 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

i love the taste of hemp, especially in baked goods. Its the hippie in me! Mmmm, i’d say banana nut is my favorite or raisin.

19 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

from one hippie to another. Jason and I both love our hemp – great flavor and bake-ability! ha… now it sounds like I’m talking about a hemp derivative… ;)

20 Mama Pea September 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

Those look amazing! I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I’m clinking a glass of green juice in your honor! :)

21 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

thank you, Sarah, I did have a great birthday! and I’m cheersing you right back with my afternoon juice – and made up words! ;)

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’ve only baked no less than 4 pumpkin baked goods in the past week or so. So yes, I’d consider myself a pumpkin fan! :) The picture with the melted earth balance is making me drool. I really want a fresh outta the oven muffin right now!

23 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

haa haa – it’s definitely that time of year, isn’t it? :D that’s exactly the craving that inspired me to come up with these yesterday – a fresh warm muffin with melty butter. Mmm.

24 josephine September 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

these look amazing and they have pumpkin in them? double awesome, adding to my must make list.

25 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm

yay! hope you love them, Josephine! you’ll have to let me know :)

26 Lisa September 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Whoa—this looks awesome! I’m quickly becoming re-obsessed with pumpkin this fall! I think my fave muffin in general is blueberry, but I can appreciate anything with pumpkin!

27 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love a blueberry muffin. I am less inclined to want a white floured one anymore, though. tastes changing.

28 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

These look soooo good.

that last pic with the butter…deserves!!! to be featured all over the foodie sites :)

29 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

thank you, Averie! and oops, you just reminded me to submit these. oops. how did that happen!? ;)

30 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Without a doubt…PUMPKIN all the way baby! YUM!

31 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

me too – especially this time of year!

32 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons September 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

eeee I have the garbanzo fava flour!!! I just need bloobs and hemp annnnd almond stuff! ok! totally do-able! <3

i'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! hope you had a fab birthday lovey!

33 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

YAAAY, look at you!! are you sitting in Schlotzsky’s or did they actually and finally install your lifeline!? :D great to see you, my dear.

34 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love pumpkin, and it’s so great for baking (and also for itself)! :)

I don’t have a favorite kind of muffin. When I grew up, muffins weren’t usual in Germany, and later on, I didn’t eat them often for whatever reason. Flavors offered are mostly chocolate and blueberry, and both aren’t too appealing for me. So, I should bake some myself again. Something with carrots or apples and lots of cinnamon. :)

35 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love a carrot muffin, and I was THIS CLOSE to adding apple to these! :) I’m not a frequent muffin person either, but I bet I would like what you would make! (no chicken, right?) ;)

36 Dorry September 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Delicious!! I love pumpkin…and my favorite muffin is definitely blueberry. Or maybe some sort of chocolate chip muffin. :)

37 spabettie September 29, 2011 at 5:55 am

oh, chocolate chip is always good. especially with pumpkin! :)

38 Ali September 29, 2011 at 2:07 am

Salivating looking at the photos :) your muffins look really great. Never tried pumpkin muffin before but my does it look delicious. Love your blog :)

39 spabettie September 29, 2011 at 5:53 am

thank you, Ali!

40 Shirley @ gfe September 29, 2011 at 3:56 am

Those muffins look awesome, Kristina! I can’t get pumpkin at my local grocery store, but think they have it in the upscale store in town. I plan to go there today. :-) Can’t wait to make a multitude of pumpkin yummies. And if I find cushaw squash (which I actually like better than pumpkin), I’m buying as many as are available!

xo,
Shirley

41 spabettie September 29, 2011 at 5:53 am

many are saying they cannot find pumpkin – I recall this happening last year too. this was actually a leftover from last year, my last can… so I hope I can find some when I want it! happy Thursday, my friend!

42 lindsay September 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

oh my goodness these look fabulous! I bet they really retain a good flavor and texture due to the moisture of the pumpkin (something that can often lack in gluten free goodies. ha!) But I’ve been experimenting with some gluten free flours lately and I notice if I follow a recipe it turns out decent but when I try experimenting I have a complete flop. Go figure! I’m trying these :)

43 spabettie October 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I definitely know what you mean – I have had many a FLOP in the gluten free kitchen. ;) the pumpkin definitely adds great moisture and is SO good!

44 Pure2raw twins September 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm

YUM! these muffins are full of everything we love

45 spabettie October 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm

right!? :) I was happy with the result.

46 Toby October 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I had these for brunch today and they are great, thank you so much!!

47 Karen October 4, 2011 at 4:00 am

these are great! we are enjoying them right now for breakfast, and I had to tell you how much we love them. I think my new project is to make a spabettie recipe each week, thank you!!!

48 Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan October 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

These look amazing! I love pumpkin and I’m starting to eat less gluten due to a suspected gluten sensitivity. Thanks for the terrific recipe!

49 spabettie October 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

you are so welcome, Jesse! I hope you enjoy!

50 Betty October 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm

these muffins were our breakfast this week, and just might be next! I love your blog, thank you, fellow betty!

51 spabettie October 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

thank you so much, Betty!! glad you liked them!

52 shanna October 15, 2011 at 7:33 am

these muffins are out of this world fluffy and deeeeelishious!! we are having them for breakfast right now and I had to say you are my new go to for recipes. I’m looking for something spabettie to make for lunnch now, thankyou!!

53 Clara October 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

saw this on tastespotting, they look delicious all right!! love the ingredients and pictures too

54 Alicia January 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm

the buttery melt in the last photo is… MMMM. can’t wait to try these!

55 Jennifer November 2, 2012 at 6:49 am

I made these using a combination of quinoa and rice flour with the almond meal and they turned out great! I also subbed flax for the hemp seeds because I didn’t have any. They are dense but not in a bad way – definitely not dry! Thanks for a great recipe.

56 spabettie November 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

you are so welcome, Jennifer, so happy you liked them!