blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins

I’m glad most of you liked the birds – those guys were fun to photograph. I still look at the photos and laugh – the bold guy in front is just so cute.

Yesterday I was up early as usual, and had a craving for a muffin for my birthday breakfast. I have been doing the juice fast again the last several days, and took a break yesterday as we had dinner plans (I will tell you all about it soon – fantastic dinner!). With plans to start the juice fast again today, I figured I could make some muffins worthy of a birthday and still be good for us.

So while I am enjoying juice for breakfast, I am sharing blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins with you.

One of my favorite muffins is blueberry, and one of my favorite quick breads is pumpkin. I bake with pumpkin like some bake with applesauce – as an oil replacement. I also had the cookie base of my vanilla coffee fudge bars in mind as I was imagining the flours I wanted to include here – for the grainy flavors and textures.

blueberry pumpkin hemp muffins

vegan, gluten free, dairy free, oil free

makes 10-12 muffins

3/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup garbanzo fava flour
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 tablespoons chia
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch sea salt
1 cup pumpkin
1/3 cup agave
3/4 – 1 cup blueberries

Combine flours, hemp and chia, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add pumpkin and agave, combine just until incorporated. Fold in blueberries. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full, bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Serve warm with melted Earth Balance. Mmm…

What is your favorite flavor muffin? Are you a pumpkin fan?

1. Laura says

OMG! Now I can’t wait until our weather cools down so I can get baking!! These look and sound amazing!!! In Denver today the temp is supposed to be in the high 80’s!! While I like it warm, it would be nice to have some fall weather so I can cook and the house can be filled w/ the smells of fall food!!!

I know, Laura – I LOVE this time of year (cool temps and cozy weather are already here!). the house smelled so good yesterday after baking these, mmm!

I remember that happened to me last year… you know what I ended up doing? (shhh…) ordering a case from Amazon. 12 cans, they expire in 2013. that’s where this can came from. πŸ˜€

I hope you find some soon!

yep, I know. it has to be done. I don’t often eat muffins either – I just had a craving and it WAS my birthday, after all! I loved lemon poppy seed as a kid… Mmmm.

thanks, Jenn! I’m with ya, the crunchy sugary topping is always good. and YES – I knew there was doxie in Caesar right when I saw him!! such sweet faces. :)

I have yet to try hempseeds, I’d definitely love to experiment with them–especially in tasty baked goods πŸ˜€ Blueberry & pumpkin sounds like an amazing combo.

Hi love! I missed you as I told you on twitter! I am back! YAY!

I came back to a great post too! These look amazing, I do not have millet or almond flour, boo : p

Loving these, and can’t wait to hear about the fantastic dinner!

xoxo <3

weee! just saw your tweet (had to go look for it, sorry, I am a BAD tweeter lately…) πŸ˜€ dinner post goes up tomorrow – such deliciousness! XXO! hope you’re getting settled in!

from one hippie to another. Jason and I both love our hemp – great flavor and bake-ability! ha… now it sounds like I’m talking about a hemp derivative… πŸ˜‰

thank you, Sarah, I did have a great birthday! and I’m cheersing you right back with my afternoon juice – and made up words! πŸ˜‰

haa haa – it’s definitely that time of year, isn’t it? πŸ˜€ that’s exactly the craving that inspired me to come up with these yesterday – a fresh warm muffin with melty butter. Mmm.

Whoa—this looks awesome! I’m quickly becoming re-obsessed with pumpkin this fall! I think my fave muffin in general is blueberry, but I can appreciate anything with pumpkin!

YAAAY, look at you!! are you sitting in Schlotzsky’s or did they actually and finally install your lifeline!? πŸ˜€ great to see you, my dear.

I love pumpkin, and it’s so great for baking (and also for itself)! :)

I don’t have a favorite kind of muffin. When I grew up, muffins weren’t usual in Germany, and later on, I didn’t eat them often for whatever reason. Flavors offered are mostly chocolate and blueberry, and both aren’t too appealing for me. So, I should bake some myself again. Something with carrots or apples and lots of cinnamon. :)

I love a carrot muffin, and I was THIS CLOSE to adding apple to these! :) I’m not a frequent muffin person either, but I bet I would like what you would make! (no chicken, right?) πŸ˜‰

Salivating looking at the photos :) your muffins look really great. Never tried pumpkin muffin before but my does it look delicious. Love your blog :)

Those muffins look awesome, Kristina! I can’t get pumpkin at my local grocery store, but think they have it in the upscale store in town. I plan to go there today. :-) Can’t wait to make a multitude of pumpkin yummies. And if I find cushaw squash (which I actually like better than pumpkin), I’m buying as many as are available!

many are saying they cannot find pumpkin – I recall this happening last year too. this was actually a leftover from last year, my last can… so I hope I can find some when I want it! happy Thursday, my friend!

oh my goodness these look fabulous! I bet they really retain a good flavor and texture due to the moisture of the pumpkin (something that can often lack in gluten free goodies. ha!) But I’ve been experimenting with some gluten free flours lately and I notice if I follow a recipe it turns out decent but when I try experimenting I have a complete flop. Go figure! I’m trying these :)

I definitely know what you mean – I have had many a FLOP in the gluten free kitchen. πŸ˜‰ the pumpkin definitely adds great moisture and is SO good!

these are great! we are enjoying them right now for breakfast, and I had to tell you how much we love them. I think my new project is to make a spabettie recipe each week, thank you!!!

these muffins are out of this world fluffy and deeeeelishious!! we are having them for breakfast right now and I had to say you are my new go to for recipes. I’m looking for something spabettie to make for lunnch now, thankyou!!

11. Jennifer says

I made these using a combination of quinoa and rice flour with the almond meal and they turned out great! I also subbed flax for the hemp seeds because I didn’t have any. They are dense but not in a bad way – definitely not dry! Thanks for a great recipe.