clearly fresh!

Clearly Fresh recently asked if they could send me some produce storage bags for review. perfect timing – I’ve had these bags most of the summer, all through our juice fast, and they are highly effective!

those grapes? Always last all week, if we don’t eat them all too quickly.

peppers stay crisp, lettuces don’t wilt. beets aren’t soft, lemons grow no moss.

okay, really – that is all true, and that is the extent of my rhyme time.

roma tomatoes love these bags, and stay fresh all week.

all those farmers market berries (four berry boxes fit in a bag!) stayed fresh until they were needed.

kale pillows! stay fresh and fluffy.

beets and their greens stay firm and fresh (look how big the right beet is!).

from bananas to bell peppers, carrots to celery, each fruit or veggie’s shelf life was definitely extended by many days if not weeks!

the bags are large with a zip closure, have a breathable square that allows the right amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide to pass, keeping produce fresher longer. it really does work. they are also reusable – I scrub mine out and leave them to dry before using again.

given their effectiveness, the bags are very inexpensive, and probably pay for themselves within the first week or two. I’ll definitely be buying these when the current bags need replacing.

Have you ever used produce bags like these?

What fruit or vegetable goes bad quickly in your house?

disclaimer – while product was provided free of charge, my reviews and opinions are my own.

Comments

Since I’m just cooking for one I tend to buy lots of frozen veggies and fruit, so that I don’t feel pressure to use everything up quickly. And other wise, for me, spinach tends to wilt so quickly!

woo HOO, Heather!! congrats, Clearly Fresh is sending you a sampler of bags to try – EMAIL ME with your mailing address and they’ll be on the way! πŸ˜€

oh, and I am exactly the same way – I cannot eat a banana with a brown spot… into the freezer for smoothies or into the oven as bread! πŸ˜€

I need to quit being so cheap and buying the dollar store produce saving bags, as they aren’t quite working for me lately. While I tend to buy my produce a few times a week and it rarely goes bad, I do still use the bags just in case. My issue is with bananas. Sigh.

This is the second good review I’ve read of Clearly Fresh, so clearly I need to look into this!

woo HOO, Abby!! congrats – Clearly Fresh is sending YOU a sampler of bags to try!! EMAIL ME your mailing address and they’ll send some your way! πŸ˜€

I bought some of those dollar store bags once – well, I think they were just called “produce bags” and they were mesh. just. to. hold. produce.

what? who cares, why do I need a specific bag for produce, if it is not one of these kind? (I suppose because suckers like me buy them, thinking
      they ARE this kind…) πŸ˜‰

bananas – so THAT is the issue Abby has… πŸ˜€ bananas are my issue too – do you like them perfectly yellow, almost green!?

• says

I like them a little more green than yellow, so once they reach peak “yellowness” and I know they won’t all get eaten that day, they go in the fridge. Works like a charm πŸ˜‰

Cool! I may need to buy some of these. as the primary fruit and vegetable eater in my house I sometimes can’t finish everything fast enough! I usually put all this paper towel with my lettuce and it is a huge hassle. This sounds like the answer to my problems!!

seriously, Sam – I was skeptical before I ever tried them, and they REALLY ARE as awesome as I am telling you! πŸ˜€ I have not thrown out anything since I’ve had these!

oh NO!! :( I am so sorry – so frustrating when companies don’t ship to Canada *sigh*

I just found them on amazon HERE – and that price is for 20 bags – I can’t tell if they send to Canada?

they really are – at least I think so – a great price for what they actually do! produce is expensive! and if I can extend it’s life in a safe way, I KNOW I’m saving money. these things are amazing.

I have never used bags like these — I have heard that they work great, but I have also heard they don’t work at all!

I buy huge containers of produce at Costco and it seems like I can’t eat pears/peaches/etc fast enough. Apples seem to last forever, but those softer (?) fruits seem to ripen way too quickly. Other than that my bell peppers and tomatoes don’t seem to last too long :(

yeah, I don’t even put apples in these – they seem fine. you’re right, softer produce is what stays fresher longer, they really work for me! (especially apples and tomatoes!). when a company offers me something to review, I always stipulate that I will either NOT review it if I do not like it, or I WILL review it (badly) because I think people should know… so I am being totally honest here when I say they work and they work AWESOME. πŸ˜€

Ohhh I need this for my kale (and wouldn’t mind the kale pillows either!). Our produce stays really fresh in our fridge. Every time I go shopping and fill up the fridge, I turn the temp a bit cooler, then as I use the food, the temp goes to a bit warmer. It’s so amazing what that can do! I’ll have to try these bags for my kale though, kale has always been a lost cause for me.

sounds like you have an awesome fridge! I’ve tried the reduced temperature, and then my lower drawer contents freezes, and I do not like frozen celery, ew! πŸ˜€ kale pillows – isn’t that nice?

ew – spinach – I know. I cannot stand that, and out it goes! beets, YES! I’ll still juice them when they get sorta soft, but I won’t use them in salads or anything – these keep them fresh!

hee! thank you!! πŸ˜€ …and totally fine if you don’t buy them! πŸ˜‰ I hope i don’t sound like a salesman, I’m not benefiting from this other than having fresh produce to photograph πŸ˜‰

you are welcome, Kiran! lettuces are some of the fastest to “age” for me too – and I really like my lettuces crispy crunchy!

Kelly they are SO awesome – I can be skeptical and they FAR surpassed my expectations – keeps my produce fresh so much longer! they’d be a good supplement to your tupperware – using half and half would probably fit perfectly!

Kris! do you have THIS brand specifically? if so, where do you get them? they don’t ship to Canada and a spabettie reader wants some :(

I need some of these bags. I have a set of plasticware I bought a couple of years ago. OK, I bought three sets that have some sort of magical stay fresh thing about them and they really work. But I need the occasional something for some fresh produce that doesn’t really fit in a little box and this is IT!!!

I will begin the search now.

ha, Barbara! I love it, “ok, I bought three sets!” πŸ˜‰ you sound like me – no wonder we get along. I bet you and I would have fun shopping.

and YES – these bags are great! my expectations were surpassed and I was VERY surprised!

7. Brandy says

I used the Debbie Meyer Green Bags for about a year, but honestly I never saw any difference between these and the plastic produce bags hanging around the grocery produce section. So I finally gave up and got rid of them.

hmm – I have heard of those Green Bags (one of the ones I was always skeptical about – and I admit I was skeptical about these too!) but have not tried them. these are the first bags I have ever tried, and they worked phenomenally well for me. and I tested them all summer, probably the best time to test them. they have extended the life of every piece of fruit or vegetable I put in these bags, and I continue to use them. I love them!

Wait… are you saying that these veggies wouldn’t need to go in the fridge anymore if we put them in these plastic bags ? That would be great !

no, not at all – the produce that I store in the fridge still goes in the fridge, in these bags. the produce that normally stays on my counter, including tomatoes, bell peppers, lemons, they are all in bags on the counter. and that is just in my climate – others may store most things in the fridge.

My produce ALWAYS spoils – meaning at least some part of it will go bad. Whether it be the left over of my romaine or 2 out of 6 tomatoes. This is a necessity at my house for sure! I have always been skeptical to see if they work – so thanks for doing the work for me! :)

Susan I was VERY skeptical too – and only accepted these with the understanding that I am always 100% truthful about what I review… they stood by their product and now I do too! one thing I really do not like is to waste food – and anything I have put in these bags I do not have to throw away! πŸ˜€

I need to get some of these- my greens almost always go bad too fast! And I got some of those local blackberries at New Seasons- delicious; they also had some of the golden raspberries and fresh figs; how I love Oregonian produce!

I just got some of the fresh figs from New Seasons too – SO good. the best berries I had this summer came from the farmers market (can’t recall which farm…) and they were amazing. the blackberries from New Seasons a few weeks ago were great too!

good to know – some people are saying they hear they don’t work – I can only vouch for these, but I LOVE them!! πŸ˜€