marcona almond butter

I don’t know what took me so long. You know I love my marcona almonds. Their flavor is distinct andΒ incomparable.

A Spanish almond roasted in olive oil and salted, Marconas have a smooth texture and amazing flavor. They offer the same nutritional benefit as regular almonds, including cholesterol lowering phytosterols and a good amount of fiber and protein.

and now they make up my favorite nut butter.

marcona almond butter

makes about 1 1/2 cups

2 cups Marcona almonds (reserve 1/4 cup)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
pinch sea salt (optional)

In food processor or high powered blender, process 1 3/4 cups almonds until creamy, stopping to scrape sides, about 9-12 minutes total. Add oil as needed (I did not need to). Chop 1/4 cup almonds and mix in for a crunchy nut butter. Store in fridge in sealed container.

Flavor options:
chocolate (add 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate)
salted maple (add 1/4 cup maple syrup)

Safe to say this is my new favorite nut butter. “Plain” flavor is amazing – salty creamy amazing. The dark chocolate flavor is like a grown up peanut butter cup, and the salted maple is like buttery caramel. I now have three jars in my fridge. I’ve been enjoying marcona butter on celery, on homemade juice pulp crackers, on a spoon…

Have you tasted Marcona almonds? What is your favorite nut?

yes – no matter WHAT I am serving at a party or whatever, I almost always have dishes of Marconas and olives… Mmm…

I’ve been toying with making my own nut butter but for some reason thought it would be way more complicated than it is! This looks and sounds amazing! I don’t think I’ve ever tried a marcona almond before. Hmm, must look for some!

nope – so easy! this is barely a recipe… πŸ˜‰ the only thing I’d say is don’t give up – at some point you think it’s not working, just keep going – it WILL get there!! πŸ˜€

we almost always have Marconas around here… I can’t eat as many as I can regular almonds (too salty – they make a PERFECT salad topper!), but I do love them.

I am crossing my fingers and thinking of you, just so you know!!!!

This looks divine, never ever have heard of those almonds!

Happy Weekend!! xoxo <3

THANK YOU!! :) whenever something happens, I’ll let everyone know!

if you come across a Marcona almond, TRY IT! they are so good… happy weekend to you too, Katie!

You KNOW I have to make this, right?? We are obsessed with marconas in this household. I want to go back to Spain rightthisminute and eat them by the bucketful.

I know!! of course I thought of you, my friend – I know you share the love of Marconas… πŸ˜€ have a beautiful weekend – enjoy Salutation Nation!! <3

I think my favorite is a cashew too, Holly! and we had a lot of pistachios this summer too… if you like pistachios (the salty part?) you’d probably like marconas too!

I get mine at my regular market, in the “specialty” or gourmet section – where the fancy cheese is, the olives, etc. I hope you can find them!!

ha! my current processor isn’t too bad (I think quieter than my Lady Vita…), but I had bought a different one initially and it was SO loud – Basil would run from the room. as much as I use it, I had to get a better one! πŸ˜€ hope you enjoyed your weekend, Averie!

• says

believe it or not, i dont own a food proc! i had a 19.99 one that was like 10 yrs old and when i got my vita about 5 yrs ago, i donated the el cheapo

I have toyed w/ getting a 10 or 12c cuisinart but not sure if i really need it. if you have one you adore, lmk!

the LOUD one I had was a Cuisinart, I think it’s loud because it was small – motor not as hefty? :) I have the 12 cup kitchen aid in PINK :) and I LOVE it!! It’s BIG, and has a second smaller bowl for smaller jobs, as well as a bunch of blades and cool pieces. it’s really quiet. I use mine a lot, for me it’s easier to get stuff out of that bowl than the blender… I know how too many appliances can get, though, and since you DO have a vita… you may not need one. if you ever do, though, I LOVE the kitchen aid!! 2 years now, LOTS of use, runs perfectly (knock knock…)

and look how CUTE it is –> Komen πŸ˜‰

yes, Lisa! I hope they are not too hard to find – I never have a problem finding them… the normal store I go to has them in the “gourmet” section – where the fancy cheese is, the olives…

That sounds amazing. I love sweet and salty combinations. My only fear is that I would have no willpower with the chocolate version! I have been known to eat peanut butter by the spoon…

yep, by the spoon is my normal way of eating nut butters too. if I’m on my way to workout and don’t want to eat anything, I’ll have a big scoop of peanut butter before I go!

oooh, I need to find the chocolate covered marcona. or make one myself! hope you’re out enjoying more beautiful Oregon! <3

like buttah! it’s funny you say that about Jason – since our juice fast and him eating cleaner in general, he notices ANY amount of added salt… very sensitive now.

marconas are the ones I usually add to salads, you may have seen them here before? they have a different flavor than regular almonds, and the salt adds another level of yum too. πŸ˜‰

Oh how I adore marcona almonds! I love macadamia nuts and hazelnuts. Those two are my all time favorite! I love most nuts except i was never crazy about brazil nuts. Mainly cause they are like the size of a kiwi.

PS, when I are you giving a photography tutorial???

I don’t know if I’ve ever even HAD a brazil nut? I used to love macadamias, but I ate too many on a trip to Hawaii when I was 8 – have not been able to eat them since! Oregon produces 99% of the nation’s hazelnut supply – get yourself up here! πŸ˜€

I have a few people ask for a tutorial… hmm… I’ll try to wrap my head around how I could do that here on the blog… I seem to learn better by DOING rather than by reading, so… I’m probably the same in “teaching” – showing in person, you know? which we can just plan for! πŸ˜€

I’ve never heard of marcona almonds, is that brand name, the type of almonds of how they are prepared (ie olive oil and salt). I love nut butters too on pieces of fruit. I have them daily :)

I think it refers to the way they are prepared? it’s a Spanish almond, so they look and taste different already. I’m going to have to look into that now, actually, good question, Robyn!

okay! a Marcona almond is a variety of almond! I found this on Wikipedia:

The Marcona variety of almond, which is shorter, rounder, sweeter, and more delicate in texture than other varieties, originated in Spain and is becoming popular in North America and other parts of the world.[23] Marcona almonds are traditionally served after being lightly fried in oil, and are also used by Spanish chefs to prepare a dessert called turrΓ³n.

Liz, I like the way you think! you probably have a market with a specialty area, like where they might have premium cheeses, olives, gourmet items? worth the look, or ask!

you should look for them, Lori… they aren’t really an almond I would want to eat a BUNCH of, like I do with the raw ones, but I love to snack on them, add them to salads (so good!) and this butter makes me happy :)

hi Emilia! they should be sorta easy to find? if you have a Whole Foods close by, or another store with a specialty section (like where special cheeses, olives are?). I hope you find them soon – SO good! :)

we usually have some in the fridge, even just to eat one or two every few days πŸ˜‰ and as much as I love nut butter, I can’t believe I’ve not made this one before! πŸ˜€

Wow I’ve never heard of Marcona almonds. I must try this! Also I was thinking of making up a bunch of nut butters (all kinds of flavors!) for Christmas presents this year so I’ll put this one on the list! :)

I usually get mine in my regular market – in the section with the specialty cheeses and olives. if you have a Whole Foods in your area, they most likely carry them, or ask at your regular market? I hope you find them, Neyal!

8. gret-chen says

this sounds amazing!! I love almonds, I love marconas and valencias, have you had those? I am definitely trying this soon, the salted maple sounds so good!

I love marcona almonds in a criminal way, and was unspeakably excited when I saw marcona almond butter at my favorite cheese shop. Surprisingly, though, I actually prefer regular old almond butter – and to save the marconas for snacking in their original form.

I know, it is an indulgence… I seem to be “saving” it for special uses! πŸ˜€ and I have to agree, Alyse, my love for marcona borders on the criminal…

I’ve never tried a marcona almond before but I have seen them at Trader Joe’s…guess I’ll have to pick some up the next time I’m there. Hmm, favorite nut? I wanna say pecans, but brazil nuts are slowly trying to push their way to the top! πŸ˜‰

This is beautiful. I love the idea of using marcona almonds for a butter. You could make it a savory snack with a chunk of Manchego and a granny smith apple, maybe over a slice of toasted sourdough. yumm! Thanks for sharing this.

12. Jenna says

my friend told me about your website – she just made this almond butter and can’t stop raving. suppose I need to find these almonds now. πŸ˜‰ thank you – your site and pics are GORGEOUS

13. Laura says

I just found some marconas today, boy was that the best thing I could ever buy! these suckers are good, and the marcona butter, thank you for THAT awesome idea!!

oh, I know, Laura! I remember the first time I tasted one, I was thinking WHAT IS THIS?? so good. glad you could find them, glad you like the nut butter!