kohlrabi cure all

Between my three awesome days with 250 vegans and Jason flying all day Monday, somehow we both have the flu! For two people who rarely get sick, at least we’re in it together.

My mom brought me some veggies from her garden the other day, and I was intrigued by the kohlrabi. I have never cooked with it, and you know, especially since our juice fast, I try to juice anything.

As I was cleaning and chopping it, I did eat a slice – crunchy and fresh tasting, reminding me of jicama. It would make a great addition to a salad, I like crunch in my salads. I’m also thinking marinated, roasted or (baked) fries?

For now, though, juice it is. Kohlrabi is dense, but produces a good amount of juice! Adding cold and flu fighters like garlic, lemon and beet, this is a tastyΒ elixir.

kohlrabi cure all

serves two

1 large kohlrabi, scrubbed and sliced
2 apples, currently using Red Delicious
1 lemon, peeled
1 golden beet
6 large carrots
1 raw garlic clove, peeled

Juice and drink immediately.

Then take a nap and wish you were still running around with 250 vegans, eating amazing food and bonding over substantial workshops.

Have you cooked with kohlrabi? What else can I do with it?

1. Lacey says

I have heard of it but never tried, so I’m curious as to what others say as well! It looks kinda pretty. Juice sounds lovely, as always!

thank you, Lacey!! I’ll share any kohlrabi ideas people share – I’ve gotten a few!

also, I just replied to your LOVELY email – THANK YOU so much, you are such a dear! I hope you guys have a fantastic trip! <3

katie, I’ve gotten a couple ideas / recipes so far… I tweeted asking people to link, we’ll see what comes up! I’ll share any ideas I get, it seems most have not heard of or cooked with it, so there may not be many! I’ll ask my mom too, since she gave it to me!

Happy weekend to you!!

Funny you ask – we’ve tried it for the first time since it comes in our CSA deliveries pretty often and neither of us had ever seen it or tried it before! So far the only way I’ve made it is roasted with garlic and parm cheese sprinkled on at the end. Pretty tasty! I could use more ideas though, hehe

someone else made it the exact same way – I’m definitely going to have to try that! I put it out to twitter, asking for more recipes, and just got a link here in the comments for an Energy Burrito – looks awesome! I’ll post all the ideas / recipes I get…

This sounds very therapeutic! :)

I have never cooked with kohlrabi, but this is the second time this week I’ve seen it on a blog! I am going to have to check out what I’m missing :)

that’s what I’ve been hearing, either people have not tried it, or they’re just getting it for the first time, in their CSA or something… I’ve gotten a couple ideas here in the comments, I’m hoping more will share!

I just tried kohlrabi for the first time! It came in my CSA box. They gave us a great looking soup recipe for it, but I don’t do many soups in the summer. Instead I just shaved the root part on to a salad. It was really mild tasting but added a nice crunch :)

I guess it’s the time of year for them, my mom is getting them from her garden right now. I like the mild flavor and the crunch.

hope you are doing well, Susan! XO

Hope you feel better soon! I know that fresh juice usually does the trick when I’m under the weather. This looks like such a tasty combination! I’ve never tried kohlrabi before, but it’s on my list to conquer this fall. I’ll have to try it in juice for sure!

It was great meeting you at the conference! Maybe we’ll see each other at the next one. Take care!

hello Sonnet! so glad you connect with you, I LOVE your blog! and I fully intend to be at the next vida vegan, and every one after! πŸ˜€

the juicing is a must in every day life, and especially while sick – it’s helping us bounce back quickly for sure. take care!

Too funny….I just got your comment and went to visited and realized I just visited you about the peanutbutter chocolate smoothie. You have a new fan!

7. Bobbie J says

I will ask my sister, I think she served kohlrabi in something very recently!! I remember something crunchy that was new to me. I’ll let you know. πŸ˜‰

You can add it to stirfries, or scallop it like potatoes or even steam it and make a veggie purΓ©e. But my husband always eats it all in salads before I get a chance to cook it.

ha – I be he does! we had it in salad today, I loved the crunch! stir fry sounds great – with sesame oil – YUM!

Oh, I hope you and Jason are feeling much better ASAP! Billy came home with a cold from NYC, but he’s on the mend. I’ve never (to my knowledge) had kohlrabi, but I’m intrigued. :)

I’ve always wanted to try oven-roasted kohlrabi, but I’ve never thought of it juiced! The color is gorgeous. Kind of looks like a orange-mango smoothie.

I know, it’s probably the last thing many would think to do with kohlrabi… it’s just me that will try to juice anything! πŸ˜€

I thought the faucet company, kohler, had kohlrabi farms.

I need to start googling things before I make assumption.

And the best kohlrabi I had was dipped in batter and fried like tempura. It was gluten free though. The batter was made with rice flour. And for god sakes its kohlrabi, its healthy! (thats my story and I’m sticking to it)

oooh, this is the preparation I most want to try! I have rice flour, and probably everything else to make a batter. I’ll let you know if I attempt this – of course it’s healthy! πŸ˜€

YOU have been busy, my friend – welcome home! :) looking forward to catching up with you too – hope you are getting some time to relax and enjoy… XO

Fascinating to try this in juice. I love kohlrabi, mostly just chopped in salad or served plain and unadorned. I also sometimes braise it (either with butter and chive or with sesame oil and soy sauce). It’s really nice that way too.
    Get well fast!!!

thank you, Rivki!! we are both feeling almost 100% :) sesame oil is one of my favorite flavors – I agree that would be a great pairing! thank you for this idea!

13. David Eric says

Because of my numerous trips to Germany, I am quite familiar with the wonder that is Kohlrabi. Since I first tried it over five years ago, it has become one of my absolute favorite veggies. One of the easiest and best ways to enjoy kohlrabi is steamed with some garlic butter/margarine (vegan variety, of course). Kohlrabi also makes a good substitute in asian cooking, as it is a good replacement for bamboo shoots…I would also suggest grated kohlrabi in a salad with sweet potatoes.

thank you! I was thinking kohlrabi would be good in Asian dishes – stir fry, noodle or rice dishes. I really like the crunch and enjoyed some in a salad today!

Well, I at least wouldn’t be surprised at all if I’d caught the flu after all that’s been going on with you … I hope you’ll feel better soon!

My mom is really fond of kohlrabi, and she likes to cook it (very well) in just slightly salted water, and adds a spoonful of butter or ghee afterwards. That tastes wonderful.

the active pace I’m used to, just maybe not the close proximity to so many people for so many days in a row? πŸ˜€ we are feeling better, almost 100%. (thank you!)

I am liking the kohlrabi and can’t wait to try everyone’s suggestions. Adding butter can only be good!

ohhhh a new veggie to juice! I’ve heard of this stuff but I’ve never experimented with cooking it or much less juicing it. Sorry you are sick! I don’t get sick very often these days but when I do it’s usually nasty because my body just gives up fighting it. ugh. My juicer is my daily dose of medicine though. hehe. Keeping my eyes on future vida vegan conferences for sure!

it’s a pretty good veg to juice – I like it anyway! I have a few ideas for cooking with kohlrabi, looking forward to trying. You know I just had to juice it first, right? :) I rarely get sick, neither does Jason, so it’s pretty crazy that we both got it, and it lasted several days. I think the juice definitely helped.

yes Yes YES plan to attend the next Vida!!