September

The evenings are getting darker, the temperatures crisp and cool. Students are back to school; sweaters, scarves and boots are coming out of closets. The crisp air smells of fall, and the cooler temperatures have me gravitating towards comfort foods with an autumn theme.

I love this time of year!

September also means my birthday is coming, and around here we like to celebrate birthdays all month.

Jason started a tradition years ago, surprising me with a birthday cake of some sort, always at midnight when the calendar changes from August to September.

This year he sought out treats of the vegan and gluten free variety – and we shared a few last night. I’m sharing with you, in case you have not seen enough vegan cupcakes around here lately

Red Velvet, Lemon, Bittersweet Chocolate, Carrot and Vanilla…

What is your favorite cupcake flavor?

Comments

yours is a keeper too!! :) the month thing was started by me (well, I’ve always done it, since college??). Jason’s first birthday with me, I gave him (mostly small!) gifts every day… it is something we keep going, in a way – not gifts every day, but every so often. it’s fun!

Okay, our evenings are getting darker, but I haven’t seen any of those “cool, crisp” temperatures except at night- sigh. September is bitter-sweet for me. I love my job as a teacher, but it means saying goodbye to my summer days that I have all to myself. Maybe one of those cupcakes would help ease the transition? Enjoy your birthday month. :)

I’m sure a cupcake would go a long way to help! I understand the losing your freedom thing, but I think I’d have that back to school excitement, at least for a short time? πŸ˜€ enjoy!!

YAY! happy birthday TOMORROW, then!! I’m a Libra with Virgo rising – Sept 27! πŸ˜€ no wonder we get along like old friends!! XO

Happy Birth-month, friend! I love the quirky, traditional things in your relationship with Jason. Y’all are a perfect match for this crazy life, and it makes me happy! I say we have a phone date soon, why not? xo

I agree, Lisa B – any time is a good time for cake! Jason does make things special for me… it’s a nice way to celebrate.

I really do love the fall – I miss the light nights (it stays light until 9PM in the summer here!) but I also like the cozy cool autumn. of course, our winters are generally mild, and if they were not I might feel differently!

I swear, this isn’t a food fear thing but I’m not a cup cake person. Strange, eh? But hand me ice cream and I can finish pints and pints of the stuff. i guess my favorite cup cake would be made of gelato and involve chocolate in some form or another cause I have a vagina.

ha – yep, I doubt there’s a cupcake I’ve turned away thus far! πŸ˜€ I love this – it’s just a fun thing to look forward to… the first couple years were a total surprise, and sometimes if I’m not paying attention to the date, it is as well! πŸ˜€

yummmmm cupcakes! I would say favorite flavor is chocolate and mint or double chocolate! Michelle would say vanilla based or chocolate and mint haha love the idea of celebrating birthdays all month long!

chocolate MINT – that sounds great! and double chocolate is always a win for me, too! and vanilla… πŸ˜‰ you really cannot get a whole birthday in on one day, you know?

Happy Birthday to a fellow September birthday monther….LOL! Mine is 9/11 yeah, I know…..

I wish it were already cooling off here…I’m in South Florida & we have another 2 months of hot weather. One year we got a surprise cool front (dipped into 70’s at night) in mid-October but that is rare. We usually don’t dip below 80 degrees until the end of Oct and only at night at that. :)

wow, it’s crazy to think of some areas of the country are so much warmer. we usually have the best weather in September, sunny and 70 with cooler nights.

happy birthday to you too, Denise!

These all look great. Poor cupcakes are getting a bit of a bashing I’ve seen lately but I still love their bite size convenience.

I totally love a cake that I have made that is an espresso chocolate cake with a whipped cream, mascarpone, white chocolate and espresso frosting. The cake is good I’m sure but the frosting is to die for. So I love it even more when I do mini cupcakes. One perfect bit of chocolate cake with an even bigger bite of frosting!

“bite size convenience” YES! I like that too. I think you’re right, many are over cupcakes now because so many shops opened and made them too mainstream? I think that’s only a good thing! πŸ˜‰
      I love the minis too, the cake to frosting ratio is perfect!

Autumn, or fall, is my favorite season! I also have my birthday in that season, but in the end of it. And it just yields the most wonderful veggies – winter squash, kals, turnips, parsnips … I wish I could eat these throughout the whole year!

I don’t eat cupcakes anymore usually, but my favorite flavor always used to be plum and cinnamon, sprinkled with brown sugar.

yes, it seems the Kath Friendly (or Kath – Liked) veggies are about to be in season – I love them too. πŸ˜€ cinnamon plum cupcake??! that sounds wonderful!

Have you tried the vegan cafe directly across the street from bliss? OMG. Such good food. The Thai tea is to die for, and I absolutely love the wraps.