September

in BIRTHDAY, Dessert

The evenings are getting darker, the temperatures crisp and cool. Students are back to school; sweaters, scarves and boots are coming out of closets. The crisp air smells of fall, and the cooler temperatures have me gravitating towards comfort foods with an autumn theme.

I love this time of year!

September also means my birthday is coming, and around here we like to celebrate birthdays all month.

Jason started a tradition years ago, surprising me with a birthday cake of some sort, always at midnight when the calendar changes from August to September.

This year he sought out treats of the vegan and gluten free variety – and we shared a few last night. I’m sharing with you, in case you have not seen enough vegan cupcakes around here lately

Red Velvet, Lemon, Bittersweet Chocolate, Carrot and Vanilla…

What is your favorite cupcake flavor?

1 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} September 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Those look irresistible! What a fun tradition to have. He gets two gold stars {that’s right TWO gold stars} and I don’t give those out to just anybody!

2 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

haa – thank you, Krista! I will be sure to let him know!! :D

3 Kris @Krazy_Kris September 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Happy Birthday Month!

4 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

thank you friend!!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I love the idea of celebrating for a full month! Ok, I know you think I’m nuts not liking chocolate, but I’m not a cake girl either. I know…something is terribly wrong with me ;-)

6 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

that’s okay, MORE FOR ME! :D

7 Megan @ go places! September 1, 2011 at 5:01 pm

happy birthday month! what a cute tradition :)

8 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

thank you, Megan!! :D

9 katie September 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Happy Birthday Month! When is the date?!

Jason is SO sweet! Such a good husband to you!

10 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

jason IS a sweetie for sure! my birthday is September 27 – weee!

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Ooh Birthday Month for you — how nice!

Favorite cupcake: I really like vanilla! (with sprinkles on top!)

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm

And I really didn’t mean to leave you so many exclamation points, but I know how much you like them :)

13 lindsay September 1, 2011 at 6:29 pm

hehe, can’t go wrong with vanilla Holly!!!!!!!

14 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

haa – thank you, Holly!! that was awesome.

15 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

YAY vanilla! :D

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles September 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Jason sounds like a keeper! My husband surprised me with a cupcake at the beginning of my “birth week,” but I’m liking your idea of an entire month celebration! :)

17 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm

yours is a keeper too!! :) the month thing was started by me (well, I’ve always done it, since college??). Jason’s first birthday with me, I gave him (mostly small!) gifts every day… it is something we keep going, in a way – not gifts every day, but every so often. it’s fun!

18 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Okay, our evenings are getting darker, but I haven’t seen any of those “cool, crisp” temperatures except at night- sigh. September is bitter-sweet for me. I love my job as a teacher, but it means saying goodbye to my summer days that I have all to myself. Maybe one of those cupcakes would help ease the transition? Enjoy your birthday month. :)

19 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m sure a cupcake would go a long way to help! I understand the losing your freedom thing, but I think I’d have that back to school excitement, at least for a short time? :D enjoy!!

20 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm

geeeeezzzz! Twice today, you’ve made me crave cupcakes! Happy Birthday month!!

21 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I know, and I’m (not!?) sorry about that… ;) thank you – I love birthday month!

22 JL goes Vegan September 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm

September birthday?! Me too! (I’m SUCH a Virgo). September 3 = 46 years old (eep!)

23 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

YAY! happy birthday TOMORROW, then!! I’m a Libra with Virgo rising – Sept 27! :D no wonder we get along like old friends!! XO

24 lindsay September 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

lets celebrate in AUSTIN! I hope plans workout friend.

25 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

we are going to nail travel plans down this weekend – hopefully Austin is in the mix! XXO

26 Dorry September 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Happy Birth-month, friend! I love the quirky, traditional things in your relationship with Jason. Y’all are a perfect match for this crazy life, and it makes me happy! I say we have a phone date soon, why not? xo

27 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm

it makes ME happy, too, you know? :D I would LOVE a phone date soon! that would be so lovely…

28 Mama Pea September 1, 2011 at 9:45 pm

That cupcake tradition is adorable! Lulu’s birthday is Monday. Yay for September birthdays!

29 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I know, I love it! Jason does some fun things… HAPPY BIRTHDAY to sweet Lulu!!

30 Kris | iheartwellness.com September 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm

WOOO HOOOO!!!! YUMMY! I love vanilla with chocolate icing or chocolate with vanilla :) These look FAB!!!

xxoo

31 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Mmm, chocolate + vanilla is always a good duo! :D

32 Lisa September 2, 2011 at 2:45 am

Happy September Birthday – love the banana on the cupcake!

33 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

thank you, Lisa!! and that banana cake – so cute, right?

34 Lisa September 2, 2011 at 3:40 am

What a great birthday tradition! Any occasion for cake is worthwhile, but a birthday is the best!

35 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I agree, Lisa B – any time is a good time for cake! Jason does make things special for me… it’s a nice way to celebrate.

36 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 2, 2011 at 4:15 am

You love this time of year? Wow… I need to approach fall with your attitude. I get so upset that summer is over and winter is coming. We get the WORST winters. That means no running outside, getting snowed in… :(

37 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I really do love the fall – I miss the light nights (it stays light until 9PM in the summer here!) but I also like the cozy cool autumn. of course, our winters are generally mild, and if they were not I might feel differently!

38 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 2, 2011 at 4:27 am

I LOVE a pretty cupcake but one of the best flavors I ever had was a “Berry Whip” cupcake. It was a berry cupcake with whipped white icing and raspberries on top. I also love a simple chocolate on chocolate.

39 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Mmm – berry whip sounds GOOD. any cupcake sounds good right now… :D

40 Eden September 2, 2011 at 5:36 am

I swear, this isn’t a food fear thing but I’m not a cup cake person. Strange, eh? But hand me ice cream and I can finish pints and pints of the stuff. i guess my favorite cup cake would be made of gelato and involve chocolate in some form or another cause I have a vagina.

41 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm

ha – yep, chocolate is the rule. but not a cupcake person!? too cute? do you like regular sized cake? :D

42 Lisa September 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

What a sweet birthday tradition. He’s a keeper! :)

43 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

thanks, Lisa… I think so ;)

44 natalie (the sweets life) September 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

That is super sweet—I’m totally doing that for Ryan next year! :) Happy birth month!

Is it safe to say I love MOST cupcake flavors?!

45 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

ha – yep, I doubt there’s a cupcake I’ve turned away thus far! :D I love this – it’s just a fun thing to look forward to… the first couple years were a total surprise, and sometimes if I’m not paying attention to the date, it is as well! :D

46 Pure2raw twins September 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

yummmmm cupcakes! I would say favorite flavor is chocolate and mint or double chocolate! Michelle would say vanilla based or chocolate and mint haha love the idea of celebrating birthdays all month long!

47 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

chocolate MINT – that sounds great! and double chocolate is always a win for me, too! and vanilla… ;) you really cannot get a whole birthday in on one day, you know?

48 Denise @ Creative Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Happy Birthday to a fellow September birthday monther….LOL! Mine is 9/11 yeah, I know…..

I wish it were already cooling off here…I’m in South Florida & we have another 2 months of hot weather. One year we got a surprise cool front (dipped into 70’s at night) in mid-October but that is rare. We usually don’t dip below 80 degrees until the end of Oct and only at night at that. :)

49 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

wow, it’s crazy to think of some areas of the country are so much warmer. we usually have the best weather in September, sunny and 70 with cooler nights.

happy birthday to you too, Denise!

50 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) September 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

Month long birthday celebrations sound like a great idea! And gosh, do we really have to pick a favorite cupcake flavor? Lately I’m a huge fan of the, buy-a-dozen-and-taste-them-all, club.

51 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:42 pm

YES – I like that flavor too! ;)

52 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

These all look great. Poor cupcakes are getting a bit of a bashing I’ve seen lately but I still love their bite size convenience.

I totally love a cake that I have made that is an espresso chocolate cake with a whipped cream, mascarpone, white chocolate and espresso frosting. The cake is good I’m sure but the frosting is to die for. So I love it even more when I do mini cupcakes. One perfect bit of chocolate cake with an even bigger bite of frosting!

53 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm

“bite size convenience” YES! I like that too. I think you’re right, many are over cupcakes now because so many shops opened and made them too mainstream? I think that’s only a good thing! ;)
I love the minis too, the cake to frosting ratio is perfect!

54 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Autumn, or fall, is my favorite season! I also have my birthday in that season, but in the end of it. And it just yields the most wonderful veggies – winter squash, kals, turnips, parsnips … I wish I could eat these throughout the whole year!

I don’t eat cupcakes anymore usually, but my favorite flavor always used to be plum and cinnamon, sprinkled with brown sugar.

55 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm

yes, it seems the Kath Friendly (or Kath – Liked) veggies are about to be in season – I love them too. :D cinnamon plum cupcake??! that sounds wonderful!

56 Jasmine September 8, 2011 at 9:21 am

Have you tried the vegan cafe directly across the street from bliss? OMG. Such good food. The Thai tea is to die for, and I absolutely love the wraps.

57 spabettie September 9, 2011 at 6:53 am

oooh, I don’t think I have!? do you remember the name? I must go!! :)

58 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm