blackberry chia crackers & date dip

I know I always say I am honored and flattered to be asked for a guest post. It’s true, though, and one of my favorite aspects of blogging. This time is no different, and special because not only do I admire Leanne in many ways, she told me she likes my approach and mentioned something about ‘natural talents.’

Giddy, I tell you. This is what I blog for!

Another fun part of blogging – of cooking and creating – the fun kitchen tools I find to play with. I used these cookie cutters to cut these crackers. I love them – they are so fun. The kit includes three shapes, multiples of alphabet letters, and some word phrases (happy birthday, congratulations).

I wanted to come up with something that fits Leanne and her food tastes. She likes to use fruit as a natural sweetener, she loves crackers, so this is my creation for her!

The date dip is something I make all the time, and pairs nicely with them.

Please go visit Leanne and her fabulous blog, check out the cracker and dip recipes, stick around and say hello!

What’s your favorite cracker topping?

Happy Friday!

Comments

hi Kelsey! yes, I am really loving both black AND raspberries this year – so very good! I’ll miss them when they’re gone, I have developed a flat – a – week habit πŸ˜‰

thank you, Averie! πŸ˜€ hope you have a great weekend – I’ll not have much time to follow along, but I’ll catch up after the conference! :)

It all looks so good, especially the date dip! I could see me eating a lot of that. Thanks again Kristina :) One of these days we’ll have to get together and sip on smoothies and chow down on crackers.
    I’m off to the lake for the day! Have an amazing weekend

these look amazing! I love that your blog name is on them! How cool!!!

Happy Weekend! Have fun this weekend too, I cant wait to see what swag you get!

xoxo <3

The letter are SO cool! I tried making crackers the other day… epic failure! Your recipe looks really easy though! And I also am a fan of natural sweeteners like bananas and dates so I love the look of the dip so much.

oooh, this dip is amazing! sorry your crackers didn’t turn out – they are SO difficult for me, too. I have made the same recipe several times, they turn out different EVERY time. weird. (I’m wondering if the WEATHER makes a difference!?) :)

Kristina these look adorable — and I love those cookie cutters! How cute! at first I was wondering how on earth you carved out Spabettie!

I like PB on crackers, but I mostly like them for dipping in bowls of soup!

This looks so amazing! For toppings…I’m a sucker for cashew cream if it’s a sweet thing or cheesy cashew sauce if it’s more savory!

😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯

They have “Spabettie” cut into them! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Hm, I actually don’t eat crackers. I even didn’t when I still ate grains. So I never thought about what I’d put on crackers. πŸ˜‰ But I can do now! (This is like going shopping with a friend and trying to find something according to her taste. It’s fun! :D)

I think we’d need a blender for this …

So, I can imagine it would be great to make a fig spread … figs (fresh or dried), either cream cheese or cashews and some water for a vegan version, and then either cardamom to make it sweeter, or garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice for a heartier variety.

Or some kind of pesto-flavored thing, but more of the consistency of nut butter: pine nuts (expensive! 😯 ), sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, a bit of olive oil.

Or this: avocado, lime juice, fresh parsley (or cilantro, but not for you ;)), finely chopped tomatoes.

Or a kind of salsa: finely chopped nectarines (or mango, or papaya …) and shallots, Thai basil or fresh mint, lime juice, ginger, lemon grass.

I like composing flavors in my mind. :)

Did I give you an appetite for some of the mental concoctions above?

Mmm, all of these sound amazing! I make a fig “spread” – I love figs. I love salsa with mango, I’ve never had it with nectarines, that would be tasty, and I love shallots. Great composing, my friend – I am hungry now! πŸ˜€

7. jenny says

I love those cutters, I may have to get some (and then learn to roll cookies) :) these look SO GOOD, and your picture beautiful as always!!!

Seriously?! someone beat me to nab you as a guest poster?! Well, I shouldn’t be surprised since you reek fabulousity. I suppose I just need to accept the fact that I can’t hog your brilliance to myself!

well, YEAH. πŸ˜‰

did you get my email, by the way? I should have gone FIRST because everyone has been spectacularly awesome.

Oh
    My
    God
    Spabettie Crackers
    I can not TELL you how fabulous that is – oh wait – I think you know.
    I do believe that everything is PERFECT in the world right now.
    Clicky clicky off to Leanne’s lair.
    And – I’ve never had a date (like that). BUT I did have a fig the other night – you would have been proud :) It was on a pizza!

Mmm, fig on a pizza! I can imagine… did it also have prosciutto, and maybe a tangy cheese like goat or feta?? πŸ˜€ good for you!

I LOVE Leanne and her blog. Of course, she’s got a great attitude and a killer blog, just like you! I’m hoppin’ over to your guest post right now. I LOVE what you made here. So, so adorable and they sound wonderful too!

I was happy she wanted me to guest post… I love her and her blog, too! the crackers were fun to make for her! :) XXO!

11. channing says

I made these crackers today, and they are already gone!! we LOVED TEHM and all I can think of now is that date spread. I’m making more this week, thank you, betty!

you are very welcome, Channing! if you’re making the crackers again, the date dip goes well with them! glad you liked the crackers too.

oh, then you’ll LOVE my next cracker post for sure! (although it’s … vegan cheese… it’s GOOD!) πŸ˜€

12. lily says

I made these this morning, with raspberries instead of black, and used regular (gluten free!) all purpose flours and they are great. not as cute as yours, I cut with pizza wheel, and they are uniquely delicious THANKYOU!!!

I’m SO glad you made them – raspberry sounds great too! I’ve made these three times now… can’t get enough! :)

Those are the cutest crackers I’ve ever seen! <3 them so much. Hope you had a lovely weekend, friend. I'm on a plane home from NYC right this minute. Always bittersweet to leave, ya know? :)

• says

It’s definitely being discussed a whole lot lately! We have an international stop to make before we move there, though. I’ll have to fill you in sometime soon! Haven’t said anything about it on the blog…

AND if we move to NYC, you and Jason better be some of our 1st visitors! :)

I was wondering… I think you vaguely skimmed over some adventure abroad… I’d love to hear more! and YES, most definitely we would be among the first visitors! Jason has never been to NYC, and for me it’s been WAY too long…

I ate a whole box of blackberries with breakfast this morning – they are SO good this year I can’t get over it! πŸ˜€

14. Pepsi says

I made these this afternoon, love them! very slight flavor, is that what your result was? mine were more purple, I love it!

also, they are crunchy but still a bit soft, if that makes sense. is that your result?

15. Hollie says

hi kris!! we made these last night! the crackers are good and the date spread is my new favorite thing. I need a huge bowl of it at all times!

16. Erin says

we made these yesterday too and love them! they are mild in flavor and mine were much more purple, the kids loved that. did the seagulls enjoy?

ha! they did.

it’s funny, my second batch was more purple too. different berries, perhaps? being more “dense” or something? taste and texture were the same, so I don’t know. I like them really purple!

I keep meaning to tell you this is my new favorite “staple” and I always have it around. I use it on everything LOL. so so yummy and I don’t feel guilty about buying a food processor now, it gets used a lot!!

18. Mary says

I made these over the weekend, they tasted great but didn’t look like yours. they were a little crumbly. I tried half the batch a little thicker, but then they were just too soft more like a cookie. help!!!

hmm, a little crumbly could mean not enough moisture. I have made these a few times and have had to knead the dough a bit in one batch to get it to come together.

19. Yaleah says

I made these, they tasted really good but they were VERY crumbly!! I kneaded and kneaded, added water and they finally came together – is this normal? also they were delicate, but mine were thin (I like thin crackers) and broke in the dip :(

hi Yaleah – I’m very sorry they didn’t come out as expected. I have made this dough a few times, and yes, sometimes it takes a bit to form. I don’t know why they were delicate after cooking, though, mine with this recipe always come out pretty hearty – in fact, I’ve had a couple people tell me TOO sturdy, so I’m sorry, I don’t really how to fix that without more info – can you tell me more, did you use the same flours? I would love to figure this out!

Best, Kris

20. Connie Gresco says

I made these and they turned out wonderfully! my flavor was very mild, the texture perfect and that date spread was delicious! thank you betty

21. Leland says

making these right now, I am really excited for them to come out of the oven!! thank you Kristina, the date spread is AMAZING too!

hi Leland! I’m happy you like the date spread – pretty good stuff, right? I hope the crackers were just as good!