blackberry cheesecake ice cream

in Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

You might recall the new york cheesecake I made last month? Before I created it I had big plans for that cheesecake. Plans that turned into something crazy tasty.

The fresh blackberries from the farmers market are so tart – sweet right now, and are a perfect companion to the creamy rich cheesecake as they float around in this velvety vanilla ice cream. The graham crust of the cheesecake takes it over the top.

blackberry cheesecake ice cream

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1 cup fresh blackberries
2 slices cheesecake

1 cup non dairy creamer
2 cups non dairy milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon NuNaturals More Fiber™ Baking Blend™
1 tablespoon tapioca flour

Mix 1/4 cup creamer with tapioca flour, stir until blended and set aside. Combine remaining creamer, milk, vanilla and morefiber in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tapioca mixture and combine. Place in fridge to cool completely – at least one hour.

Meanwhile, cut cheesecake into small bite size pieces. Then cut more to replace the pieces you ate.

Pour ice cream base into maker and prepare according to manufacturer directions. Add blackberries and cheesecake pieces in the last couple minutes, after ice cream has formed, continue to churn. Transfer to freezer to firm – several hours to overnight.

I couldn’t wait that long. I had to try some after only a few minutes – just as long as it took me to clean my ice cream maker.

The other half of this cheesecake is currently tucked away in the freezer. What kind of ice cream should I make next?

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

1 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 23, 2011 at 4:05 am

Stopppp it!! Blackberries are my favorite fruit! (this changes seasonally) I had a blackberry cocktail at HLS this weekend that was literally like drinking crushed blackberries. I can only imagine how delicious blackberry cheesecake ice cream would taste.

2 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Mmm, a blackberry cocktail… hmmm, I still have blackberries ;)

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 23, 2011 at 4:08 am

ice cream
cheesecake
blackberries

each of those items alone would be perfect!

combined into one? a dream!!

4 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I know – it pretty much is! :D my best ice cream yet! :)

5 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 23, 2011 at 4:20 am

magical!!

I love matcha everything and frozen yogurt rocks my world… but what about gluten-free, dairy-free, gelatin-free rocky road?

6 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Mmm, matcha! me too. rocky road would be pretty easy, I have a gelatin free marshmallow! :D

7 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe August 23, 2011 at 5:32 am

This was one of those “holy crap” recipes for me. I cannot get over how delicious that looks! And you say you have more cheesecake you don’t know what to do with? Oh man, I’d do baked cinnamon apple cheesecake ice cream. Or, you know, just eat the delicious cheesecake! :)

8 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

oooh to the cinnamon apple cheesecake ice cream – that sounds fantastic. a perfect fall dessert.

and yeah, it was pretty much a “holy crap” recipe for me too. ;)

9 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 23, 2011 at 6:06 am

What a great combination! Looks fantastic. My favorite ice cream flavor is probably peanut butter cup. Can’t go wrong with chocolate+peanut butter.

10 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:34 pm

ooh, me too. I used to LOVE Tillamook Dairy’s chocolate peanut butter – rich chocolate ice cream with ribbons of peanut butter swirled through…

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 23, 2011 at 6:08 am

This looks so good! I so want a bowl of ice cream right now :)

My favorite ice cream is cookies n cream — that is the flavor my parents would always buy when we were kids!

12 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love cookies and cream – it was one of the first flavors I made when I got my ice cream maker! :D

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 23, 2011 at 6:51 am

As always, that looks amazing. I don’t even like blackberries but would eat every bite of that (I have issues with the seeds). Growing up I loved Rocky Road, but now I prefer a pecan caramel.

14 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm

mm, pecan caramel, that sounds GOOD!

15 Kris @krazy_kris August 23, 2011 at 6:52 am

Proof once again that GOD lives in your kitchen.
And on the 8th day….

16 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm

heee! why thank you! :D

17 Lisa August 23, 2011 at 9:08 am

That looks amazing. I love blackberries! I’ve never tried blackberry ice cream, shocking!

18 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm

it was pretty good :) the blackberries from the market are SO awesome right now, I just had to!

19 janetha August 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

woah. swoon.

20 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

exactly!

21 D-JO August 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

I asked my WW class if any of them had seen the documentary “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.” Being the chest clutching bunch they seem to be, none had heard of this little film. They thought it sounded, “Simply awful.” I thought that was amusing since I thought it was very inspirational and had some interesting info for Americans who are addicted to fast food. Even DIET fast food. Point is–I love how you are using your knowledge to produce SLOW food–wonderful fresh SLOW food and fresh juices. Now all of these words regarding this theme begs the question–
Wouldn’t Joe Cross put this fresh berry/cheesecake/ice cream mixture in a blender and call it JUICE?? (could be a fantasy) Yummy, yummie
and yum!!! Even B. woke up for this one.

22 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm

ha – I know the OLD Joe Cross would be all over this ice cream! there is justification somewhere, those are fresh blackberries!

the concept of a juice fast is hard to fathom for some – we LOVED it! still juicing a lot, eating good stuff too. glad you both liked the ice cream – wish I could send some your way!

23 Sayward August 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

UM DON”T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BRING SOME OF THIS TONIGHT??

;-)

24 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

aw! so bummed I didn’t get done in time! hope y’all had fun, I will see you SOON! :)

25 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} August 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I am just kicking myself for not buying an ice cream maker! This is the last straw…I must buy one! That is the BEST combination…ever.

26 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

it really is! and a hint –> we bought ours last year, in September… if you wait just a bit they go on after summer sale – we got this one at Sur La Table and it was a really good deal – like 50% off!

27 Lauren @ Team Giles August 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh my sweet friend… every time I come to your blog I get so inspired to recreate your recipes… :) This looks divine… and if you ever come to Houston, I’m throwing a dinner party… and will secretly hope you’ll cook for it ;)

28 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm

thank you, Lauren!! :) I would LOVE to cook for one of your dinner parties! *someday*

29 LauraJayne August 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I was reading your recipe, ready to be bummed because I assumed it wouldn’t be Gluten-Free – and it WAS! I’m so excited to make it! YUM!

30 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm

YAY! yep, pretty much everything here is GF. :) I hope you make this – the cheesecake alone is great, and the ice cream, well… Mmm! :D

31 Nellie (The Midlife Cruiser) August 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is definitely something I’d get in a fight to have! Hey, guess where I am?? :))))

32 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

WEEEEEE! how did I just see this!? I can’t wait to see you, girl – you know I’m in the conference all weekend but after that, let’s PLAY! :D

33 nicole @ Making Good Choices August 24, 2011 at 4:25 am

I really need to make my own ice cream more. this is incredible!!

34 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm

thank you – it was pretty epic! I love my ice cream maker! :D

35 Mike @ How To Make A Smoothie At Home August 24, 2011 at 8:52 am

Looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for the fun recipe!!

36 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

you are welcome, Mike!! it was pretty epic. :D

37 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

My friend Kris introduced me to you…and I so wish she hadn’t. I mean that in the best way possible but I also worry now that I’ve seen this dish what I’m in for…WANT ICE CREAM NOW!

OK, seriously..looks fabulous and great photo too.

38 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm

thank you, Barbara – this made me laugh, and yes, I understand. (my reader is full of blogs that give me that reaction – and now YOURS is one of them!) :D

39 Savannah Mae August 30, 2011 at 11:48 pm

so creative! I love that you made a cheesecake just for the ice cream, it all sounds so amazing and your photos are gorgeous! I do believe I will attempt this!

40 spabettie August 31, 2011 at 10:28 am

thank you, Savannah Mae! I hope you love it – let me know if you make it!

41 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

delicious! My bambino would love this! We discovered on our many walks together that he loves blackberries. He squeals when he sees them.

42 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm

aww… cute! hmm, actually, I do too. ;)

43 Lou March 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

just wanted to tell you I tried again and this time it worked!! thank you for your email hand holding, LOL. this stuff is amazing, and now I have a (two time!) cheesecake that works!